Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Gonz posted:

Circa 1989:

When I was cool for getting it and my parents just didn't understand, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Babbage’s
Electronics Boutique
Software Etc.
Egghead Software
Funcoland
Game Crazy
CompUSA
Circuit City

All lost. Like tears in rain.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gonz posted:

Babbage’s
Electronics Boutique
Software Etc.
Egghead Software
Funcoland
Game Crazy
CompUSA
Circuit City

And all the software/computer trade shows in empty warehousen

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

CES is dead now, isn’t it?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Gonz posted:

Circa 1989:

I remember this aesthetic being in malls well into the mid-late 90s for some stores and I still kinda miss it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gonz posted:

Babbage’s
Electronics Boutique
Software Etc.
Egghead Software
Funcoland
Game Crazy
CompUSA
Circuit City

Radio Shack had Tandy and software for it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I miss pink neon signs

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grassy Knowles posted:

Radio Shack had Tandy and software for it

Really Tandy had RadioShack but yes

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

maybealabia posted:

Really Tandy had RadioShack but yes

Now Tandy just has leather

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Gonz posted:

Babbage’s
Electronics Boutique
Software Etc.
Egghead Software
Funcoland
Game Crazy
CompUSA
Circuit City

You forgot Software City!

Mistayke has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Sep 28, 2023

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Gonz posted:

Babbage’s
Electronics Boutique
Software Etc.
Egghead Software
Funcoland
Game Crazy
CompUSA
Circuit City

Fry's Electronics
Cyberian Outpost
When Newegg was good
:smith:

Yes, I know Fry's purchased Cyberian Outpost.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Toupee Groupie posted:

Fry's Electronics
Cyberian Outpost
When Newegg was good
:smith:

Yes, I know Fry's purchased Cyberian Outpost.

I mean if we’re including newegg then tiger direct goes in the list

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grassy Knowles posted:

I mean if we’re including newegg then tiger direct goes in the list

I actually bought my TV stand from a Tiger Direct brick and mortar store

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I miss both Fry’s Electronics stores here in Arizona. Especially the one in Phoenix with the full-on Legends of the Hidden Temple motif.

The one in Tempe used to be a place called Incredible Universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFXuJqcaJY

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

root beer posted:

CES is dead now, isn’t it?
E3.

CES still happens in Jan. It's where we learn what hip new unaffordable thing will trickle down in Home Theatre in the next 3 years (ATSC 3.0) and just for the new generation of (thing).

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

It was officially Very Important to have a pencil sharpener installed. I remember getting up and walking over to The Pencil Sharpener. Don't spend too much time sharpening your pencil. Others need their turn.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gonz posted:

I miss both Fry’s Electronics stores here in Arizona. Especially the one in Phoenix with the full-on Legends of the Hidden Temple motif.

The one in Tempe used to be a place called Incredible Universe:

I have literally never seen a Fry's in my life. I have only ever heard about it through SA. It is insane how mystical this all seems.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Animal-Mother posted:

It was officially Very Important to have a pencil sharpener installed. I remember getting up and walking over to The Pencil Sharpener. Don't spend too much time sharpening your pencil. Others need their turn.

I miss our wall mounted pencil sharpener

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I have one mounted in my garage and I can sharpen for as long as I want, whenever I want.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I crank one out occasionally for old times sake

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

mind the walrus posted:

I have literally never seen a Fry's in my life. I have only ever heard about it through SA. It is insane how mystical this all seems.

Just picture an elecronics store the aize of a super Walmart and you’re halfway there. And each huge sore had a theme that they had props around the store for. That was kinda gimmicky but neat.

Houston had three fry’s stores lol. One on I-45 in the north that was oil themed with a big oil derrick. One on I-45 south that was space themed because it was close to Johnson space flight center… and one in Sugarland (southwest Houston) that I can’t for the life of me remember the theme of now. Maybe also oil? Idk

It was neat going there, but I heard a lot of horror stories about the owners and their biz practices, so gently caress em

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s1pgf6zWRH1qigaa4.mp4

Premiered on this day in 1987

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Considering the fan backlash and the uhhhhhhh.... quality of the first few seasons, it's surprising that this show is the classic it was and kicked off basically what, 20 straight years of Star Trek series? When did Enterprise end?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I love that melodramatic '80s voiceover: "Staaar Trek, the Next Generation".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Oct 2, 2023

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ernie Anderson was the STNG ad voice (heard here) - he was also the voice of ABC for years, and the Svengoolie actor

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

It’s Ghoulardi. Anderson is a local legend here. Sometimes I’ll announce that it’s Friday in his voice, though adding “on TV Five” doesn’t make any sense to anyone but me

root beer has a new favorite as of 02:06 on Sep 30, 2023

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Neito posted:

Considering the fan backlash and the uhhhhhhh.... quality of the first few seasons, it's surprising that this show is the classic it was and kicked off basically what, 20 straight years of Star Trek series? When did Enterprise end?

I was 9 and I was *heavily* enthusiastic about that show; and I didn't even like TOS and thought the cartoon was boring.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Neito posted:

I still remember the first time I saw the main cast of ST:TNG. My first thought was "There's a Klingon on the Enterprise? And he serves on THE BRIDGE???"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
My family used to all gather around and watch TNG as a family in the living room. The only room with a TV. As far as I know, my parents have never seen any of the other Star Trek series.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ninjoatse.cx posted:

My family used to all gather around and watch TNG as a family in the living room. The only room with a TV. As far as I know, my parents have never seen any of the other Star Trek series.
Was it early on Sunday night, right after the Simpsons?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TNG was in first run syndication instead of on a network so airtimes were entirely dependent on the whims of which station got it and if they had to schedule around their network commitments. I think the earliest they were allowed to run a new episode was 7:00 monday

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

TNG was in first run syndication instead of on a network so airtimes were entirely dependent on the whims of which station got it and if they had to schedule around their network commitments. I think the earliest they were allowed to run a new episode was 7:00 monday

There's some retro nostalgia in some slice-of-live movie about a dweeb working at one of these networks using his job to be king poo poo on some TNG BBS

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
A friend of mine won concert tickets off the radio and asked me to go with her, so I went and saw Squeeze and Psychedelic Furs last night. Talk about a time warp.

FYI if you liked these bands and they come through your town, go see them. They sounded fantastic.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Syndicated shows themselves are up there as a relic of the past.

All that's left are a few game shows (Jeopardy and Wheel obviously the big two) and some talk shows, yeah?

But they late 80s/early 90s heydey of syndicated dramas like TNG and DS9, Babylon 5, Renegade, Forever Knight, etc... are long gone.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

DrBouvenstein posted:

All that's left are a few game shows (Jeopardy and Wheel obviously the big two) and some talk shows, yeah?

But they late 80s/early 90s heydey of syndicated dramas like TNG and DS9, Babylon 5, Renegade, Forever Knight, etc... are long gone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-run_syndication_in_the_United_States,_2000s#Scripted_series_2

It's basically talk shows, game shows, and court stuff as far stuff that's currently running, although in the 90s it also includes Baywatch.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

DrBouvenstein posted:

Those game shows are super not syndicated

In the US at least

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Was it early on Sunday night, right after the Simpsons?

..maybe? I don't remember.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

maybealabia posted:

Those game shows are super not syndicated

In the US at least

Yes, they are. You are incorrect on this.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grassy Knowles posted:

Yes, they are. You are incorrect on this.

Oh poo poo, I definitely just learned a thing. I really thought those were network flagship shows

Huh

I'd like to buy a foul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I learned more about integrity from Jean-Luc Picard than I learned from my family, religion, or culture. I'm heartbroken by how badly the new Picard show missed the mark on that character.

But anyway, TNG just feels like a completely 90's phenomenon, even though it was over by the middle of the decade.