Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/nostalgiafolder/status/1683983467816845313?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...

skooma512 posted:

TBF 9/11 or not the fighters would not have splashed a civilian aircraft as a first resort that far away from anything important , they would have instructed him to land and he would have done so and everyone goes home that night. Itchy trigger fingers aside I’m sure they don’t expect everything that just came over the pacific to know about the sudden continent wide no fly zone

A lot of years between now and then have allowed me time to think on it, and I agree with you. I bet the pilots would have done something like put their plane wings over the top of the other aircraft's wings and then started to decrease their altitude to encourage the pilot to land. I've been in the military since then, and I can assume safely that there would have been secondary or tertiary options as well.

These flights regularly carried every type of DG- shooting them down as a first method would not have been in the books. But this was 20 something years ago, I was a panicked 22 year old and I had no loving idea how to really parse the situation- all I usually did was cleared the DGs and AVIs with Customs and Wildlife. The panic that Anchorage was throwing at me over the phone wasn't very helpful either.

The whole day at the airport was really stressful. Otherwise it was an awesome job!

Edited to clean up grammar some

nullandvoid has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Sep 25, 2023

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I was reading up on all of it a couple of weeks ago and found that that incident has its own Wikipedia entry

root beer has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Sep 25, 2023

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...
Holy poo poo I forgot all about the squawk code! That pilot's English was god-awful. Most of the pilots from KE had pretty terrible English anyway, but they knew enough to understand things about the dangerous goods and live animals when I would go to the airport and get them to sign off on the NOC.

This pilot was BAD. I mean I'm sure he's a really nice guy and everything, but the skill he needed to have wasn't there in the time that he needed to have it.

Kind of cool that there's a Wikipedia page about it. I think I know a few people I'm going to send this to.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah I saw it and thought of your post, pretty wild story

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

nullandvoid posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot all about the squawk code! That pilot's English was god-awful. Most of the pilots from KE had pretty terrible English anyway, but they knew enough to understand things about the dangerous goods and live animals when I would go to the airport and get them to sign off on the NOC.

This pilot was BAD. I mean I'm sure he's a really nice guy and everything, but the skill he needed to have wasn't there in the time that he needed to have it.

Kind of cool that there's a Wikipedia page about it. I think I know a few people I'm going to send this to.

So I grew up on Long Island. My father was an air traffic controller, and after they married his new wife actually got a job with ARINC who were the ones communicating with that flight. She wasn't working there at the time, but I've had to hear that story a thousand times (as she pretended to have been there, despite the fact that she wasn't hired until like 2003).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Neito posted:

I had a weird era where I tried to pretend I was "too cool" for any popular music, so I've spent a lot of my late 20s and now 30s rediscovering the music of this era (and the 90s, but this isn't the 90s thread). Of special hate at the time was Linkin Park, cus it seemed the most mockable. Now I really like In The End, which was thrust in front of me a few years ago because of a cover by NateWantsToBattle and notable "Hey remember this from the 2000s" person Egoraptor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWVrgeFCwmY

In the End's pretty good, but my favs were Faint and Breaking the Habit. I know LP was a punchline for a lot of people but i thought they made good music :colbert:

je1 healthcare posted:

It's the result of spreading one's creative wings when you're suddenly given a new platform that's unmoderated, or less moderated. The first thing you want to say is all the stuff that you couldn't before.

Cable went off into a crass direction in the 90s because the FCC no longer controlled everything on television. And then the internet comes along and the userbase (predominantly young, male, middle-class, socially marginalized) has a platform where they could say ANYTHING without consequence. Plus there was a lot of awful poo poo going on to cope with. School shootings, 9/11, two wars, and an evangelical political party that's justifying it all.

It also helped that for most of us, those things were abstract, distant crises. It wasn't like the 80s and early 90s when the problems of the time were in our own neighborhoods, when there were recessions and crime rates hitting historic highs. By the time we see things in the media....they're no longer real, if that makes any sense. It's like pop culture got edgier with each passing year as irl crime became less common. It was an escape from the increasing mundanity of the real world, and when the real world was a violent hellworld we wanted wholesome family sitcoms.

Sentient Data posted:

The living room thing is more than just a change in family values. The people on this forum are witnesses to a major turning point in human history itself - the rise of personal computers and especially the internet is just a straight up industrial revolution level event. We haven't even gotten to the point where things are stable yet, so who knows how it'll all and up

A good chunk of my early 2000s was spent on irc and telnet-based mucks. I even paid for editplus specifically because it allowed 2-dimensional text highlighting which I used when working on ascii art

yeah, the people that grew up on edgy jokes on SA, 4chan, Fark, etc. also went on to produce edgy content for Adult Swim, Comedy Central, etc. i remember hearing how G4 shows like X-play had writers that were posters on SA and Fark.

shame on an IGA posted:

It is literally impossible to overstate the influence of Matt Groening and Seth McFarlane on 1999-2005 youth culture

hmm, groening i'm not too sure. mcfarlane? definitely. FG in its original fox run pushed the envelope, but the revival turned everything up to 11, and had a massive impact on "adult" animation going forward

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Groening is responsible for untold deaths and environmental destruction by spreading nuclear energy fears, and I'm not joking in the slightest

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Simpsons really did have further reach than any other anti-nuclear propaganda and it isn't even close.

Great jokes though.

Oh, this isn't the 90s thread, nvm

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mr Interweb posted:

In the End's pretty good, but my favs were Faint and Breaking the Habit. I know LP was a punchline for a lot of people but i thought they made good music :colbert:

This instrumental of one of their later songs ("Powerless" + "Tinfoil" intro) came up in my shuffle this morning and it kind of stopped me dead in my tracks. It's good with vocals too, but something about this version really gives me chills. I feel like the chords & dynamics say a lot all by themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9xn0JSGq4U

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ACKCHUALLY, Simpsons merely shows that capitalism is bad. State-owned nuclear power is fine.
:goonsay:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

Groening is responsible for untold deaths and environmental destruction by spreading nuclear energy fears, and I'm not joking in the slightest

oh you meant for that. i thought you were talking about creating a generation of edgy, offensive fanboys. definitely agree on the nucular thing

Sir Lemming posted:

This instrumental of one of their later songs ("Powerless" + "Tinfoil" intro) came up in my shuffle this morning and it kind of stopped me dead in my tracks. It's good with vocals too, but something about this version really gives me chills. I feel like the chords & dynamics say a lot all by themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9xn0JSGq4U

never heard this either until now!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

ACKCHUALLY, Simpsons merely shows that capitalism is bad. State-owned nuclear power is fine.

I have bad news...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

In what episodes of the Simpsons are state institutions portrayed positively?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In what episodes of the Simpsons are state institutions portrayed positively?

America doesn't have state institutions. Capitalists de facto own them all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Apparently it came back recently and I missed it entirely :(

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Pretty sure I used that poo poo as Romulan Ale for a Star Trek themed party as a kid.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's bad enough we've been reliving a lot of 2000s era "War on Terror" politics in the past three weeks; Pepsi doesn't need to torture us by bringing back that vile poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's better than regular pepsi

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It's bad enough we've been reliving a lot of 2000s era "War on Terror" politics in the past three weeks; Pepsi doesn't need to torture us by bringing back that vile poo poo.

Listening to my dad's opinion about Muslims was not something I was hoping to relive, but here we are. I'm sure Thanksgiving conversation will be delightful

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Pepsi Blue was good

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Happy Landfill posted:

Listening to my dad's opinion about Muslims was not something I was hoping to relive, but here we are. I'm sure Thanksgiving conversation will be delightful

https://twitter.com/futurevictim_/status/1436921787254644740?t=i6awKYyCmKf9zH_lFcBE7A&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Heath posted:

Pepsi Blue was good

:bisonyes:

one of the best tweets of all time

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

directed by Zack Snyder

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i always confuse pepsi blue with coke zero

and yes, i know there's a lot wrong with that

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I used to get Pepsi Blue from the vending machine when I would bowl with my friends on weekends. That and some fried mozz sticks. Why yes I was overweight as a teenager

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Heath posted:

I used to get Pepsi Blue from the vending machine when I would bowl with my friends on weekends. That and some fried mozz sticks. Why yes I was overweight as a teenager

Did you listen to ska

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I bleached my hair to look like Eminem in the seventh grade.

I also got into DJing because of Limp Bizkit. Bought a set of Stanton STR8-60 turntables and quickly realized I didn't have the patience to learn how to scratch. I'm glad for it either way though because I taught myself how to beatmatch and blend at a very young age and getting back into it during the Dubstep boom was a total breeze.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Heath posted:

I'm 99% certain the bowling alley near me still has Pepsi Blue in the vending machine, and I have my doubts that it's from the re-release...

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Have a sip

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm 99% certain the bowling alley near me still has Pepsi Blue in the vending machine, and I have my doubts that it's from the re-release...

Send a couple bottles to Good Mythical Morning for their Undiscontinued series.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Were Orbitz a '00s thing or a '90s thing? I remember quite enjoying them. Wonder what an unopened bottle would look like now.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there are some bottles from the late 90s on ebay. 50 bux, you can do a trip report.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grassy Knowles posted:

Did you listen to ska

No I wasn't a band nerd. I went to band camp one time and decided marching band is for the birds. I did know one kid who was way into The Aquabats though and that's the only time I've ever heard of them

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Regarding ska, from over in the 90's Thread:

Gonz posted:

I had a girlfriend in high school in the late 90’s who was a complete ska fiend, and every time we’d go out somewhere, she would seemingly have a new ska megamix CD that she made, and put it in the car player to listen to.

At first it was fine, but over time, it became the audio equivalent of water torture/extracting teeth.

To this day, I have a negative Pavlovian response to hearing ska. I’d sooner listen to audio of a dozen dogs barking at once, or the brown noise.

That said, I like post-No Doubt solo pop artist Gwen Stefani.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

I bleached my hair to look like Eminem in the seventh grade.

A bit weird. Also, how do you know what Eminem looked like in the seventh grade?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Gonz posted:

I like post-No Doubt solo pop artist Gwen Stefani.

That interim period where they were still No Doubt but the band's production was going places, was a lot of fun. Hella Good still absolutely rips.

uber_stoat posted:

there are some bottles from the late 90s on ebay. 50 bux, you can do a trip report.

eeewwww they're all yellowed from the dye in the gelatin balls.

I'd better get one before they get worse.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mister Speaker posted:

That interim period where they were still No Doubt but the band's production was going places, was a lot of fun. Hella Good still absolutely rips.

I heard Hey Baby for the first time at a cast party with my fellow drama club geeks, and I have loved it ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I only recently learned that "Hella Good" was co-written by The Neptunes and it just makes so much sense. Instrumentally it would've been right at home on a N*E*R*D album.