Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

He's a little shaky when he has to do stuff like grief and anger but he's been killing it in all his other scenes so far. He really sells being the gentle giant who doesn't really want to hurt people, but it still put upon to crack some evil motherfuckers skulls because there's no other option.

I really liked the dance when he frees Aviendha cause like, he's putting in the work. he's smacking fools with a loving sledge hammer. A year ago he was a small town blacksmith, and he's clearly getting better at dealing with hosed up poo poo. He is not at all a pushover.

And it's entirely overshadowed by an aiel.

It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

And where's Thom?

Behind the scenes I read His actor just wasn't available to shoot this season due to other projects so he isn't in this season.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I forgot until just now, but I played The Wheel Of Time video game when I was a kid. Did anyone else play this? It's been a long time, but I remember the way they do the magic / trap system had a surprising amount of depth to it, enough to support an entire level where you're just navigating your way past obstacles, and the Ways were genuinely terrifying. Completely soundless, pitch black, pieces of the floor wpuldnjust randomly fall away when you weren't looking. Very very cool.

The game's development forums was one of the most active places to talk about the series on the web for a while. Dragonmount, the main fan site for years and years actually grew out of them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i like to dip into an old MUD once every couple years called LegendMUD and found out WoT has had its own running for 27 years or w/e. i logged in and it was jarring. i was mobbed by admins and long-term players and fawned over and told what to do for like two hours until i got sick of it. those games require people to read and explore, not be handed everything

anyway i told them i'd see the world on my own, left Caemlyn and starved to death because the food/water ticks were insanely fast

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

i say swears online posted:

i like to dip into an old MUD once every couple years called LegendMUD and found out WoT has had its own running for 27 years or w/e. i logged in and it was jarring. i was mobbed by admins and long-term players and fawned over and told what to do for like two hours until i got sick of it. those games require people to read and explore, not be handed everything

anyway i told them i'd see the world on my own, left Caemlyn and starved to death because the food/water ticks were insanely fast

I remember that MUD!! I joined as a whitecloak to try to reform it/leave it/kill other whitecloaks, I don't remember exactly, and I died like three steps outside the encampment and stopped playing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

As someone who has been playing the same MUD for 25 years it’s very easy to over-help people, since we assume that anyone who isn’t a hardcore MUD fan will run away screaming if left alone at first.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

silvergoose posted:

I remember that MUD!! I joined as a whitecloak to try to reform it/leave it/kill other whitecloaks, I don't remember exactly, and I died like three steps outside the encampment and stopped playing.

many such cases

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

They gave Elaida the dumbest possible motivation

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nix Panicus posted:

They gave Elaida the dumbest possible motivation

Who? Has this person appeared in the show?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Who? Has this person appeared in the show?

The red sitter Aes Sedai, who joined up with satan because of her very old kid. I think she's only been on screen for a few minutes so its understandable you'd miss her.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

...i think you mean liandrin, the lady who has shown up a decent bit?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

The red sitter Aes Sedai, who joined up with satan because of her very old kid. I think she's only been on screen for a few minutes so its understandable you'd miss her.

I can't tell if this is a bit or not.

Liandrin is the one with the old rear end son.

Also afaik she's not a sitter.

Edit: Yea, double checked the S1 episode when Moiraine gets banished, there are 3 red sitters and none of the liandrin

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 28, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lmao Im conflating characters. Its been over 20 years since I started the series. I guess Liandrin was always a dumb character. Great actress acting her heart out though

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

i think he meant shitter

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Nix Panicus posted:

lmao Im conflating characters. Its been over 20 years since I started the series. I guess Liandrin was always a dumb character. Great actress acting her heart out though

hard to imagine you might have missed some details about the motivation of the character whose name you didn’t catch but…

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

I started playing on WotMUD back in 1998 I think? Back then it was the complete opposite, there was very little documentation or help and the general rule was Find Out For Yourself. But it was also the only Wheel of Time game that existed, as far as I could tell. Sounds like it's come a long way since then. I still have my characters on there, and a guy I went to school with still plays a bit.

I think Silvergoose is talking about a different WoT themed mud that popped up a little later, since there is no way to start as a Whitecloak on WotMUD, it's a clan that you have to be invited to.

Anyway, thanks for reading my boring reminiscence. I'm really glad the story has finally made it to the screen, and I think they're doing a great job adapting it despite many challenges.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's plausible I have some details wrong, or I was invited, or yes it's a different mud.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

A goon in this thread asked non-book readers what they thought of the characters. Well, here’s my thoughts, as one of those heathens.

-I don’t like Nynaeve or Rand. Nynaeve just kinda pisses and moans about everything, being stubborn at the worst possible moments, jealous others, and refuses to try simply because she’s got a huge chip on her shoulder. Rand, on he other hand, is trying to swim against the current. Everyone, from Lanfear, to Ishmael, to Moiraine, to even Logain have him teetering to their tunes. He tries to think for himself but invariably does as they wish. It’s Oedipus and annoying; I want my characters to have more agency when they fight “fate.” Which brings me to characters I like.

-Mat and Egwene are badass. Mat, for the scant time I’ve seen him, is a louse and recognizes himself as such. That’s why he leaves. There’s depth to him too. He could easily ask for the seer to tell him his fate, but he doesn’t. He’d either fight it or go willingly to it, but he’d rather make the decision himself naturally, as opposed to feel guided by anything. I like that. Egwene wants so badly to be acknowledged for her own strength. Even when it’s basically Vegeta to Nynaeve’s Goku, she still fights and trains to get better, not for herself, but to protect her friends when she sees that she hosed up once. Her “slave” arc is compelling poo poo.

-Perrin. He’s there. That’s it. I neither like nor dislike him.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

A goon in this thread asked non-book readers what they thought of the characters. Well, here’s my thoughts, as one of those heathens.

-I don’t like Nynaeve or Rand. Nynaeve just kinda pisses and moans about everything, being stubborn at the worst possible moments, jealous others, and refuses to try simply because she’s got a huge chip on her shoulder. Rand, on he other hand, is trying to swim against the current. Everyone, from Lanfear, to Ishmael, to Moiraine, to even Logain have him teetering to their tunes. He tries to think for himself but invariably does as they wish. It’s Oedipus and annoying; I want my characters to have more agency when they fight “fate.” Which brings me to characters I like.

-Mat and Egwene are badass. Mat, for the scant time I’ve seen him, is a louse and recognizes himself as such. That’s why he leaves. There’s depth to him too. He could easily ask for the seer to tell him his fate, but he doesn’t. He’d either fight it or go willingly to it, but he’d rather make the decision himself naturally, as opposed to feel guided by anything. I like that. Egwene wants so badly to be acknowledged for her own strength. Even when it’s basically Vegeta to Nynaeve’s Goku, she still fights and trains to get better, not for herself, but to protect her friends when she sees that she hosed up once. Her “slave” arc is compelling poo poo.

-Perrin. He’s there. That’s it. I neither like nor dislike him.
good post

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pan Dulce posted:

Thanks for the post!

I find the difference of your take between Rand and Egwene quite interesting. Do you think that Rand simply isn’t trying hard enough to do his own thing?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

DTurtle posted:

Thanks for the post!

I find the difference of your take between Rand and Egwene quite interesting. Do you think that Rand simply isn’t trying hard enough to do his own thing?

Rand has the very same problems Oedipus has. He has this grand prophecy about him, but instead of facing it head on, he runs because he thinks he’ll hurt his friends.He has no faith in the fact that his past lives as the Dragon Reborn did okay, so he may have the strength if he tries, or hell, if he sticks with his friends against the powers of evil like every other hero in tales. He does EVERYTHING he thinks is going against fate, leaving friends, going to a new town, finding a new lover, deciding to train with Logain in secret… everything is to fight against fate, which coincidentally does the thing that he avoids. Every. drat. Time.

The only thing he’s done differently is in the most recent episode, going towards danger, knowing full well it’s what the Forsaken want. That’s a move I actually like. Stop fighting the current. Go with it, but make moves side to side, see where it could take you.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I thought Oedipus' problem was he hosed his mother

I don't think Rand's in danger of that yet

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pan Dulce posted:

Rand has the very same problems Oedipus has. He has this grand prophecy about him, but instead of facing it head on, he runs because he thinks he’ll hurt his friends.He has no faith in the fact that his past lives as the Dragon Reborn did okay, so he may have the strength if he tries, or hell, if he sticks with his friends against the powers of evil like every other hero in tales. He does EVERYTHING he thinks is going against fate, leaving friends, going to a new town, finding a new lover, deciding to train with Logain in secret… everything is to fight against fate, which coincidentally does the thing that he avoids. Every. drat. Time.

The only thing he’s done differently is in the most recent episode, going towards danger, knowing full well it’s what the Forsaken want. That’s a move I actually like. Stop fighting the current. Go with it, but make moves side to side, see where it could take you.
Well now I have a post I can point to in order to argue that the series is good enough to enable show watchers to pick up a lot of the subtleties of what is happening.

Thanks again! Looking forward to more of your takes/opinions/interpretations over the next two episodes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

I thought Oedipus' problem was he hosed his mother

I don't think Rand's in danger of that yet

Yeah but that all stemmed from him hearing a prophecy that he'd kill his father and gently caress his mother, so he ran away from home to avoid that fate. Only for it to turn out that the people he thought were his parents adopted him, and the king he winds up killing and overthrowing turns out to be his brith father and the woman he marries and has a kid with turned out to be his birth mother, so he goes insane and stabs his eyes out.

The mother loving part is what people remember because it's the most sensationalist part of the play and Freud made a big deal out of it because he was a pervo hack, but the real theme of Oedipus the play is "you meet your fate on the path you take to avoid it". And Rand is gonna be the Dragon and do his Dragon poo poo no matter how hard and far he tries to run from it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm shocked I actually look forward to episodes now rather than watching them out of some sort of train crash syndrome.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Season is definitely finishing stronger than it started.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Lanfear is carrying every scene she is in but she can only carry so much. Rand sounds like he is reading off a cue card.

The editing is terrible. There were 15 cuts in 11 seconds during her fiery entrance.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is this a sex thing

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

is this a sex thing

It's also a murder thing! :eng101:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Could be both!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Another awesome episode, the hits keep coming. Can't believe there's only one left.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

is this a sex thing

This was good but not as good as Loial's bow to Elayne and Nynaeve's 'don't encourage her'

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
This season has been leaps and bounds better than season 1, and season 1 wasn't too bad.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rarity posted:

This was good but not as good as Loial's bow to Elayne and Nynaeve's 'don't encourage her'

I had to immediately rewind that scene and watch it again. "Your name sings in his ears, we don't have time". Nynaeve is constantly moving back and forth between the badass kind of stubborn and the irritating kind of stubborn, and I love it so much.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I had to immediately rewind that scene and watch it again. "Your name sings in his ears, we don't have time". Nynaeve is constantly moving back and forth between the badass kind of stubborn and the irritating kind of stubborn, and I love it so much.

Elayne's little :smug: face was also incredible

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.
I think this is a much stronger season. It feels almost like they use Jordans strong worldbuilding to drive the narrative instead of working against it with new redundant chaff. The first season felt like that, far too slow.
Theres so much good material you can cherrypick from the books to the series story.
Must be like being showrunner for GOT. We all know what happened when the books ran out. What a shitshow.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I agree that the second season is better than the first, but would strongly suggest if any non book reader is enjoying it, read the books. I put it off for years after bailing on the first one halfway in when I was young. In the last couple of years, I’ve gone through the series twice and now am about to finish the third audiobook. You will probably run into characters or chapters that feel like a slog, but the payoffs are usually good and, for me at least, the way the books go from emotional, to full of dread, and then to almost laugh out loud funny is a great ride.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Gotta say, having not read the books- I was getting Anakin Skywalker vibes from Rand in season 1. Pleasantly glad Im wrong so far.

Still thinks he's a dull character though, give me more Matt and/or Egwene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Quixotic1 posted:

Still thinks he's a dull character though, give me more Matt and/or Egwene.
A question for you (and other non-book readers):
What makes Mat such an interesting character for you? Where do you think his character arc is going?