Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Basic Chunnel posted:

Did they add more g-rilla arm finishers or are we stuck forever with the weird hammer punch

I saw one where V claps both of his hands against the gonks ears so hard his head exploded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

2house2fly posted:

The key to the whole thing that's missing here is: they could have done this but chose not to. The line "a few weeks tops" was a choice, therefore the resulting friction between the main quest and side quests is also a choice. When you, the intelligence in control of V's actions, think "my character is dying, why is he doing side quests" that's V thinking that to himself.

You're giving the designers too much credit here.

What this conversation is about is the reliance on open world games to create a narrative with high stakes time pressure that isn't actually real. In fact it's even worse than the timeline of weeks - the end of Act 2 involves timing an operation with a parade for Saburo's memorial. The planning for this has advanced to the point where all the security is locked in place, very busy people are confirmed to have already left Japan and are in Night City right now to attend. I have even seen the fully constructed floats. I get a call to meet right now because the parade is starting shortly. In this scenario, when V the character is asking himself "why am I doing this" when I'm doing side content, he's really asking "why am I doing this instead of going to the parade" because at the time of the call you don't have weeks or days, you have hours and can't concievbly do anything but go straight to the parade. Given you have weeks to live, sacrificing this opportunity could very well be a death sentence.

In truth V isn't ever asking himself "I'm dying, why am I doing side quests", because when you "the intelligence" do anything other than go to the parade at this time V's canon timeline is paused. Regardless of how many days and nights you spend doing side content it will always be a few hours until the parade starts.

What's really happening here is that the designers are using a narrative crutch - the time pressure is there because it's an easy way to up the stakes in fiction. The problem is that only works in linear, constrained fiction. They aren't being clever and allowing you to better understand V's mindset by giving you the opportunity to think "does it make sense for V to ignore the main quest" - they are simply writing a story they know how to write even though it chafes with the gameplay experience. You, the player, ignore the main quest sometimes. V never ignores the main quest because he literally doesn't have time to do so.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 28, 2023

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

How are tech weapons after 2.0? I don't see much in the tech tree for them.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

TescoBag posted:

There is an entire branch of the Tech tree solely devoted to them, on the right side. They now get lightning powers when you charge them up if you're specced and this can have huge super powerful effects up to and including chain lightning on everyone in sight.

AFAIK they still benefit from all the basic stuff for their gun type too, so like if you have a tech shotgun it gets all the shotgun perks plus the lightning bolt stuff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

From looking at clips, it seems like it might go a bit higher? And I guess there are some benefits to a single smooth jump, over the "stuttered" nature of the double-jump.

That's like trying to say Luigi is better than Princess in Mario 2, sorry but no way, having finer control over your jump is always better.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TescoBag posted:

Big fan. Them and Smart weapons (when specced appropriately) feel great.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

TescoBag posted:

You can get an excellent iconic tech shotgun right at the beginning of PL that absolutely poo poo stomps everything, but it doesn't even really need the pulse mechanic from tech to function particularly. As said it already does plenty off of just the shotgun tree

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm not getting oval office so much, my reputation seems more whorish. Maybe there's some deep reactivity there somewhere?

Heard a new combat bark for the first time, possibly DLC only: "Time to gently caress her in the rear end"

Although that might be one that could easily have gender parity

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Heard "WANNA SEE MY DICK?" 6x or so now from random pedestrians in Dogtown

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dandywalken posted:

Heard "WANNA SEE MY DICK?" 6x or so now from random pedestrians in Dogtown

Did you see their dick

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

loving LOL the 'rescue the cops' mission.

Now to test this on MaxTac

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 28, 2023

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

JBP posted:

Did you see their dick

Nobody wants to see your dick dude. We already paid you twenty

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Playing this again I'm faced once again with Keanu. The man delivers lines in this game like no one has over spoken. He's acting like a weird guy on weird world, but all his co-stars are squarely in normal town.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair playing Johnny Silverhand can't be easy considering he is the stupidest idea in the world played completely unironically.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

George Sex - REAL posted:

Playing this again I'm faced once again with Keanu. The man delivers lines in this game like no one has over spoken. He's acting like a weird guy on weird world, but all his co-stars are squarely in normal town.

That's honestly really on message here....

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If he was recording his lines anywhere in the vicinity of John Wick 4 then that would explain a lot, he was getting his rear end beat at age 58 for that thing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair playing Johnny Silverhand can't be easy considering he is the stupidest idea in the world played completely unironically.
Quite incredible that rather than being a White Wolf-type genre coattail rider (the latter trying to capitalize on Anne Rice and the Crow), CP2020 somehow prefigured Image Comics by several years. Real Witchblade hours up in there

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ImpAtom posted:

Keanu is ok by and large for me because he sounds like he's got brain damage from drugs and was also born an idiot, which is perfect for Silverhand.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
This is just random fluff stuff that might not have a definitive answer, but I was wondering, how far are Trauma Team really expected/able to go? Like the squad that shows up in the intro mission (platinum coverage?) are eobviously gonna walk through a few scavs no problem, but like, what if the client is inside Maelstrom's Allfoods base or something?
Are they expected to just throw a heap of squads in and go toe-to-toe with a large force like that? What about if it's corpos like Arasaka or Militech? Is there Trauma Team lore about that sort of thing?

Really I want playable Trauma Team sside missions :blastu:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

This is just random fluff stuff that might not have a definitive answer, but I was wondering, how far are Trauma Team really expected/able to go? Like the squad that shows up in the intro mission (platinum coverage?) are eobviously gonna walk through a few scavs no problem, but like, what if the client is inside Maelstrom's Allfoods base or something?
Are they expected to just throw a heap of squads in and go toe-to-toe with a large force like that? What about if it's corpos like Arasaka or Militech? Is there Trauma Team lore about that sort of thing?

Really I want playable Trauma Team sside missions :blastu:

There's a Trauma Team comic where they fight deep into a gang controlled megabuilding to rescue a client. Platinum level service is basically "we'll do literally anything."

From what I understand their aircraft are some of the most advanced on the planet. For cheaper packages you gotta pay for ammunition spent and such but platinum is all inclusive I think.

Edit: here's a lore video about them https://youtu.be/4u9KxaaFwdY?si=ZuKhK2DxlST9cT6v

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DarkDobe posted:

loving LOL the 'rescue the cops' mission.

Now to test this on MaxTac

Where did you grab that gun? I did that quest and talked it out at the end with Dodger laughing his rear end off at how stupid the whole thing was. I did grab the iconic machete in there.

For people who want a good driving mod, Immersive Driving got updated to 2.0. Cars speed up and brake a lot faster so it doesn't feel like you're on skates.
https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/5293

Played around with Path Tracing photos some more to see how certain moments in the game look compared to before. These two are from one of my favourite bits of the game for how gorgeous the view is:

But I still need to get better at taking selfies of my own V:

Not sure I'm sold on this hairdo.

EDIT: I like this one better

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 28, 2023

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
tried to install the basic set of mods using vortex (a program i truly abhor but seems to be the go-to for 2077) and it's already broken, so i think this will be a pass for me. some of them seem pretty cool though!

edit: following this guide https://wiki.redmodding.org/cyberpunk-2077-modding/for-mod-users/users-modding-cyberpunk-2077/getting-started literally blew up my save, so i cannot in good conscience recommend modding this game i guess

Legs Benedict fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 28, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Further Reading posted:

There's a Trauma Team comic where they fight deep into a gang controlled megabuilding to rescue a client. Platinum level service is basically "we'll do literally anything."

From what I understand their aircraft are some of the most advanced on the planet. For cheaper packages you gotta pay for ammunition spent and such but platinum is all inclusive I think.

Edit: here's a lore video about them https://youtu.be/4u9KxaaFwdY?si=ZuKhK2DxlST9cT6v

That's dope, thank you

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

Did the Dazed and Confused gig tonight and... Wow, just... Wow. 10/10 no notes. aside from the "ey I'm making art here!" ending being the morally good ending and also the only one that denies you the Baby Boomer bat. :argh: Honestly the moments when femme V is just rolling with the crazy gonk nonsense she finds herself in are my favorite moments in the game.

A data shard you can pick up during the mission has a list of ridiculous BD titles that ends with "Copperoni the Pizza Cop". I just started GMing Cyberpunk RED and I want to throw my entire campaign out to tell his story.

Honestly a LOT of the side gigs in PL capture the feel of one-off screamsheet adventures for the table top game. Just replace V with whoever your face is and Johnny with the rest of the table making peanut gallery comments and boom, you have an authentic pen and pad experience.

As for actual combat in 2.0, I like the A-B-A-B rhythm they've designed for netrunning and Genji builds. But as the last two playthroughs of Dark Souls 3 and Elden Ring have revealed to me, I am currently in the stage of my life where I just want to clobber dudes with a big stick. And ooooh man is it fun to do in 2.0.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Space Friend posted:

Honestly a LOT of the side gigs in PL capture the feel of one-off screamsheet adventures for the table top game. Just replace V with whoever your face is and Johnny with the rest of the table making peanut gallery comments and boom, you have an authentic pen and pad experience.

lmao I just did the one with the Suzi Sphere Hunter cameo and that was a comedy of errors.

Also the characters in question ran me over as the gig ended

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm still seriously impressed by path tracing. I assumed it was just a gimmick but the lighting is absolutely incredible with it on.

It's going to require some rethinking in level design though. The fact the game wasn't designed for it is real obvious, it's not uncommon for places to be so dark you can't see anything. I just did Chippin' In and there's a whole segment where you can't even see the character you're talking to. Lighting maps is going to be different now.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

tried to install the basic set of mods using vortex (a program i truly abhor but seems to be the go-to for 2077) and it's already broken, so i think this will be a pass for me. some of them seem pretty cool though!

edit: following this guide https://wiki.redmodding.org/cyberpunk-2077-modding/for-mod-users/users-modding-cyberpunk-2077/getting-started literally blew up my save, so i cannot in good conscience recommend modding this game i guess

Yeah trying to install a bunch of outdated mods from an old guide right after a huge update is usually not gonna work, what did you expect

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

BabyFur Denny posted:

Yeah trying to install a bunch of outdated mods from an old guide right after a huge update is usually not gonna work, what did you expect

well, seeing as how all of the core dependency mods were updated for 2.0 and i nixed the ones that weren't, i figured it would go just fine! but i guess "updated for 2.0" doesn't actually mean 2.0 and that they are actually outdated :(

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Been having an issue where enemies only drop tier 1 item components. Anyone else seeing this?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Been having an issue where enemies only drop tier 1 item components. Anyone else seeing this?

Enemies will still drop T1 components because you can craft ammo with it.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Enemies will still drop T1 components because you can craft ammo with it.

Are they supposed to drop other higher level components because that's all they drop.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Are they supposed to drop other higher level components because that's all they drop.

Chance to, yes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yooooo just scored a HOT job through a certain legendary fixer named Dexter DeShawn! Soon your girl is going to be moving out of this heap and living the high life!

(Yes my V is a huge dork psyching herself up in her mirror)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Arc Hammer posted:

Where did you grab that gun? I did that quest and talked it out at the end with Dodger laughing his rear end off at how stupid the whole thing was. I did grab the iconic machete in there.

You get it for killing Dodger.

This is the real MVP of dumb guns you unlock (so far) - this one is for raiding Hansen's party.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Nessus posted:

If I'm not modding, will it cause any issues if I pause the Phantom Liberty download and play basegame? Since I'm starting new I doubt I will get to any PL content. :v:

If you count new cars, you should start seeing PL content very soon with PL installed.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rinkles posted:

images of settings

thanks rinkles, thrinkles

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dunno if this has been posted, but I tried this and it seems to work well, I'm not going to do differential testing because i just spent an hour futzing with settings.

https://twitter.com/jstubbles/status/1706112616219947217

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Chance to, yes.

Looks like I got a bug only seeing tier 1 drop got like 700 tier 1 components and very few of the rest. Don't think I've see a tier 2 or higher drop since a few hours after starting the DLC.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sebmojo posted:

dunno if this has been posted, but I tried this and it seems to work well, I'm not going to do differential testing because i just spent an hour futzing with settings.

https://twitter.com/jstubbles/status/1706112616219947217

It works but has a performance cost, unless they meant relative to path tracing, but you’re not getting path tracing level visuals just by turning on ray reconstruction for regular ray tracing.

Still, might be a good in between compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've been playing around with the ray tracing settings a lot and imo the ray retracement makes the game just generally look the best. It gives it a kind of uniform look, dunno how else to explain it.