Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It turns out the skyscraper that I've always thought was the Empire State Building...

...is actually the Chrysler Building.

In my defense, I've been to Manhattan only once in my life. I think my misconception came from extremely low-res skyscraper models in early versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator that I played as a kid (New York was as good as my native Chicago for slaloming a plane around between buildings), and also from an assumption that the building pictured on the commercial bumpers on Saturday Night Live must be the really big and famous one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Powered Descent posted:

(New York was as good as my native Chicago for slaloming a plane around between buildings),

Haven’t seen anyone gently caress up slaloming Chicago

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh slaloming. I thought it read "slamming"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Chrysler Building is way cooler than the Empire State Building.

It’s K2 to ESB’s Everest.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Interiors better too

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Powered Descent posted:

It turns out the skyscraper that I've always thought was the Empire State Building...

...is actually the Chrysler Building.

In my defense, I've been to Manhattan only once in my life. I think my misconception came from extremely low-res skyscraper models in early versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator that I played as a kid (New York was as good as my native Chicago for slaloming a plane around between buildings), and also from an assumption that the building pictured on the commercial bumpers on Saturday Night Live must be the really big and famous one.

In Men In Black 3 agent J uses the Chrysler building to time jump and on his return to the top of the building Empire State of Mind ft Alicia Keys starts playing. This further confuses people, I'm sure.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"Empire State" is a nickname for the entirety of New York.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And the "Evil Empire" is a nickname for the entire country :eng101:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
When I was a young kid, I heard it as "Umpire State Building" and I assumed it was named for baseball umpires.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's why it's so tall, so they can see all the fields in the city

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
The word umpire is derived from the old french word nonper/nomper, literally "not part of a pair", meaning "arbiter" since they were not one of the two parties in the conflict.

Pretty cool imo

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Given my age, I've listened to Return to the 36 Chambers by ODB and Storybots hundreds of times.

It only just dawned on me the Shimmy Shimmy Ya line in the Storybots Velociraptor song happens after a line about Velociraptors liking their meals raw.

How I missed that the first 100 times of hearing it I don't know. Maybe because it sounds more like Beastie Boys.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Agatha Christie only died in the 70s

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's Vampire's Taint Building

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

Agatha Christie only died in the 70s

Agatha Christie's Poirot only started in 1989. I was sure it would've been like 84 or 85. The Brett Sherlock Holmes did start in 1984 though.

e: I guess it's really really hard to tell with British historical programmes, as the wardrobe and sets are always impeccable, unlike American productions. I just feel like I spent most of my childhood wathing Poirot. But I didn't!

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Oct 1, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
That Disturbed song that begins with monkey sounds ("Oohh ahh! ahh! ahh! ahh!") is not supposed to be monkey sounds.

I'd not heard the actual song, which I have been calling "that song skinny white guys sing at karaoke that begin with monkey sounds." It's huge at karaoke. Like, get your bingo cards out, young college guys are gonna knock this song and Under the Bridge within the first five songs, and the way everyone begins is by making, what to me, sounds like monkey sounds. I finally just listened to the song and it's not really monkey sounds, it's just sounds. But seriously, go to karaoke, wait for a skinny white 21 year-old to get up on stage and if you didn't know it, you'd think he was beginning a song by making monkey sounds.

This came about because I got into an argument with my neighbor who said they weren't monkey sounds. Seriously, listen to anyone sing this other than the original. Monkey sounds.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Agatha Christie's Poirot only started in 1989.

lol, I've just found out that David Suchet played Japp in one of the Ustinov films.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

lol, I've just found out that David Suchet played Japp in one of the Ustinov films.

Yeah I didn't really appreciate the dark and gritty "buddy cop" version of Poirot and Japp :(

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Also David is John's younger brother.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

credburn posted:

That Disturbed song that begins with monkey sounds ("Oohh ahh! ahh! ahh! ahh!") is not supposed to be monkey sounds.

I'd not heard the actual song, which I have been calling "that song skinny white guys sing at karaoke that begin with monkey sounds." It's huge at karaoke. Like, get your bingo cards out, young college guys are gonna knock this song and Under the Bridge within the first five songs, and the way everyone begins is by making, what to me, sounds like monkey sounds. I finally just listened to the song and it's not really monkey sounds, it's just sounds. But seriously, go to karaoke, wait for a skinny white 21 year-old to get up on stage and if you didn't know it, you'd think he was beginning a song by making monkey sounds.

This came about because I got into an argument with my neighbor who said they weren't monkey sounds. Seriously, listen to anyone sing this other than the original. Monkey sounds.

Yeah in the original song those noises are simultaneously high pitched but also really guttural and young college guys always underestimate their ability to hit either range, and if you sing them right in the middle or without the guttural element they become monkey noises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99deLmqCoo0

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Learn how to sing songs to different backing tracks and ruin karaoke for everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PeeDCnoG3k

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wasabi the J posted:

Learn how to sing songs to different backing tracks and ruin karaoke for everyone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAx0A0gT1O0

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiEycVMKoJo&t=95s

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I just kinda assumed Stevie Wonder would've been dead by now, but how about that.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pneub posted:

I just kinda assumed Stevie Wonder would've been dead by now, but how about that.

You're probably like me and think he's way older than he is.
"Superstition" was from his 15th album, and came out in 1972, when Stevie was 22

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pookah posted:

You're probably like me and think he's way older than he is.
"Superstition" was from his 15th album, and came out in 1972, when Stevie was 22

He was signed to Motown Records at age 11 and put out his first two LPS the year after. On his first LP he played piano, organ, harmonica, drums and bongos. He had his first hit single at age 13:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQRBzZCtD4o

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I loved diving into Stevie's discography a few years back. I still haven't even heard a huge chunk of it from the super-Motown days, or the 80s-and-up, but his 70s run was a legendary career in its own right. Feels like the rest is just icing.

His last single (to date) back during the 2020 election season was pretty fire too. The rap features do suffer a bit from what I'd describe as "very NPR" production. But it's also kind of a funny fake out, because you think Busta is going to be the one who earns the Explicit tag, but he isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgdfxeh0WtE

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was signed to Motown Records at age 11 and put out his first two LPS the year after. On his first LP he played piano, organ, harmonica, drums and bongos. He had his first hit single at age 13:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQRBzZCtD4o

I was just learning this from Wikipedia today.
I knew he was a hugely talented person, but I had no idea he'd started so young. I was amazed by how mature the sound of "Superstition" was for such a young musician, but yeah, by that point he was already an extremely accomplished artist.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
The Dark Souls 3 cover is not an armored dude giving you a Fonzi-esque thumbs up.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Bullshit

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It clearly is.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Well that's photoshopped to be more thumbs-up-like, but if we look at the original:

Ok, yeah, still a thumbs-up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well that's photoshopped to be more thumbs-up-like, but if we look at the original:

Ok, yeah, still a thumbs-up.

I always thought it was the dust of time trickling from his hand?

or is it

:thejoke:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I always thought it was the dust of time trickling from his hand?

or is it

:thejoke:

Perhaps it’s both

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Eeyyyy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
One Punch Man (the guy in yellow) started out as a parody of the classic 1970s Japanese superhero Anpanman (the guy in red).

One Punch Man's name in Japanese is Wanpanman which makes it even more obvious

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I always thought when people refer to "hoverboards" they were talking about those weird magnetic skateboards that are on rails, but no, they're referring to any self-balancing wheeled thing, like a Segway.

Just really sort of annoys me in that way that language changes faster than I am comfortable with. Back in my day, if it used wheels, it meant it didn't hover.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

credburn posted:

I always thought when people refer to "hoverboards" they were talking about those weird magnetic skateboards that are on rails, but no, they're referring to any self-balancing wheeled thing, like a Segway.

Just really sort of annoys me in that way that language changes faster than I am comfortable with. Back in my day, if it used wheels, it meant it didn't hover.

They are NOT self balancing like a Segway

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

For years I was vaguely puzzled by the word "Diaspora", because while it is widely used in english, it does not sound English at all. (I now know its from a Greek word, meaning "to scatter")

I somehow got it into my head that it was a loan word derived from the Irish word "Díospóireacht", which sounds kind of the same in the first half and means "debate".
Like, there were these international debates over the cause and effect of populations getting displaced and scattered.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Oct 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One Punch Man (the guy in yellow) started out as a parody of the classic 1970s Japanese superhero Anpanman (the guy in red).

One Punch Man's name in Japanese is Wanpanman which makes it even more obvious

Japanese is not a language, it's actually a series of loosely connected puns.

That millions of people are able to use it to communicate with each other is merely a coincidence.