Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I have the image of a C64 game in my head. It was a horror themed game, and the only thing specific I can remember was there was someone (or a creature) with like a scarecrow face, or like a burlap sack over their face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

manero posted:

I have the image of a C64 game in my head. It was a horror themed game, and the only thing specific I can remember was there was someone (or a creature) with like a scarecrow face, or like a burlap sack over their face.

Clive Barker's Nightbreed?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Wow! That was exactly it. Thanks!!

That title screen is burned into my brain

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Edutainment game from probably the late 90s, possibly as late as 2002. The thing I remember is a 2D multibody gravity simulation where you could place planets/meteoroids/maybe stars at certain speeds, and when they collide the bigger one absorbs the little one with no fanfare.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
What was the art style like? Pixel, 3d? Realistic or cartoony? I have a few ideas but I want to try narrowing the search before I just start loading up every edutainment game in my collection.

edit: Shot in the dark, but Super Planet Crash? The planets don't get smushed together but still, worth a shot.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 18, 2023

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Pogonodon posted:

What was the art style like? Pixel, 3d? Realistic or cartoony? I have a few ideas but I want to try narrowing the search before I just start loading up every edutainment game in my collection.

edit: Shot in the dark, but Super Planet Crash? The planets don't get smushed together but still, worth a shot.

Artwise it looked most like JumpStart Adventures 6th Grade of the ones I've looked at, but I don't think that had a gravity simulator. The planets were fairly large on screen, and at least one kinda looked like a jpeg of Jupiter. It may have been set on a space station? The gravity simulator was only one part of it, there was more to the game than that, but that's the only part I remember.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Holy poo poo this is it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Unreal_One posted:

Artwise it looked most like JumpStart Adventures 6th Grade of the ones I've looked at, but I don't think that had a gravity simulator. The planets were fairly large on screen, and at least one kinda looked like a jpeg of Jupiter. It may have been set on a space station? The gravity simulator was only one part of it, there was more to the game than that, but that's the only part I remember.

microsoft encarta had a gravity simulation as one of its edutainment toys

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

That feeling when someone mentions a game and you remember not just the game but the exact TV you looked at and and the lovely bootleg Kool-Aid on the carpet.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

hexwren posted:

microsoft encarta had a gravity simulation as one of its edutainment toys

I'd put my money on it being Encarta or something similar. There were a ton of edutainment toys in game and webpage form, and they're fairly poorly documented.

I just found out Planet 10 existed at one point, for example. Always finding new things when I search for edutainment stuff. Love it :)

edit: Here's a blog I found with a picture of the orbit minigame in encarta. Looks like it's probably not what we're looking for, but wanted to make note of it.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 18, 2023

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Yeah, I found an encarta 96 let's play (what a sentence) and that wasn't it, mine was definitely more cartoony. I don't think it was a website / flash game, that planet 10 thing looks more like it but I don't think that's it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I remember a program along similar lines, for Macs, called "Gravitation".

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Unreal_One posted:

Yeah, I found an encarta 96 let's play (what a sentence) and that wasn't it, mine was definitely more cartoony. I don't think it was a website / flash game, that planet 10 thing looks more like it but I don't think that's it.

i absolutely need a link to that lp, that sounds hilarious

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Trying to remember an old music game that showed sheet music and then sang a song to it. Most notable was that it had several renditions of Over the River and Through the Woods that it would play with different variations of each time. Kind of cartoony graphics I think with woodland animals?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm thinking of a Macromedia™ Shockwave® Flash™® game from the early 2000s. It was a 3D FPS set on a space station, which was a technically impressive accomplishment at the time.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm thinking of a Macromedia™ Shockwave® Flash™® game from the early 2000s. It was a 3D FPS set on a space station, which was a technically impressive accomplishment at the time.

Alien X?

Hyper Inferno posted:

Trying to remember an old music game that showed sheet music and then sang a song to it. Most notable was that it had several renditions of Over the River and Through the Woods that it would play with different variations of each time. Kind of cartoony graphics I think with woodland animals?

Jumpstart Preschool?

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 18, 2023

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

That's not it, the sheet music actually showed up as sheet music IIRC, full bars and everything.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Hm. Did you have to do an unscrambling puzzle to play it, or was it just "Here's the sheet music, here's how it sounds"?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Holy poo poo, that's it. Wow, this is taking me back. Thanks

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Good news, I just checked and it's in the Flashpoint archives, so you can play again if you want :)

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

hexwren posted:

i absolutely need a link to that lp, that sounds hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy9R41Rord0
It's just someone farting around in it, but still.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Pogonodon posted:

Hm. Did you have to do an unscrambling puzzle to play it, or was it just "Here's the sheet music, here's how it sounds"?

Maybe? That sounds sort of familiar. I remember that at least one of the renditions of the song was fall themed and the lyrics had "ants in our pants" which apparently aren't the actual lyrics.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I found this on WaffleImages and it looks so familiar but I can't remember the name at all. Anyone know?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

ultrafilter posted:

I found this on WaffleImages and it looks so familiar but I can't remember the name at all. Anyone know?
Google Image Search says Sword of Mana.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah pretty sure that's Sword of Mana.

Also I thought Waffleimages was dead?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that is not dead which can eternal waffle

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The art style is also very similar to Seiken Densetsu 3, the second SNES Mana game. Or, y'know, Secret of Mana, the one everyone knows about.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

and with strange aeons even copters may rofl

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The art style is also very similar to Seiken Densetsu 3, the second SNES Mana game. Or, y'know, Secret of Mana, the one everyone knows about.
I'll agree that Sword and Trials (as it's known in English nowadays) have a very similar artstyle, but Secret actually looks pretty different IMO:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
It's gotta be Sword/1 GBA, both from the aspect ratio, the UI, and from that the blonde lady in Trials/3 was locked to spears.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
This is the worst least descriptive memory I have but all I remember is sneaking through a semi demolished building. I remember you can either creep under some concert floors or there is another path you can take through a room. It was scifi-ish game with maybe bots that would patrol? The memory feels along the lines of maybe one of the Watch Dogs or Deus Ex games?

I know it's not much to go on but it popped into my head while trying to fall asleep last night.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Lysandus posted:

This is the worst least descriptive memory I have but all I remember is sneaking through a semi demolished building. I remember you can either creep under some concert floors or there is another path you can take through a room. It was scifi-ish game with maybe bots that would patrol? The memory feels along the lines of maybe one of the Watch Dogs or Deus Ex games?

I know it's not much to go on but it popped into my head while trying to fall asleep last night.

Metal Gear Solid

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided opens with a level set in Dubai. It's a hotel that was abandoned while it was still under construction, because of events in Human Revolution. I think there also is a sandstorm going on while you are inside.

Edit: Have some footage that shows the location.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoJ2rfso6pQ

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 28, 2023

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided opens with a level set in Dubai. It's a hotel that was abandoned while it was still under construction, because of events in Human Revolution. I think there also is a sandstorm going on while you are inside.

I also suspect the game is Mankind Divided, but location wise the description sounds more like the Dvali Theater towards the end of the game, which is a run-down theater that both has bot guards and running around backstage/below the stage. Could be either though.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mierenneuker posted:

The sandstorm always made my framerate poo poo the bed.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Checked out some videos of Mankind Divided and that's not it.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
And holy crap I just found it. It was this level in Watch Dogs Legion that was floating around in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qNeZtByhBE

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Also I thought Waffleimages was dead?
Not anymore! People have brought part of the material back to life, including old links, so if you have some old SSLPs that seemed promising but were dead because of waffles, I can confirm that at least some of the dead ones now work.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I remember reading an LP on here some years? ago that I suddenly want to read and actually finish. Ps1 jrpg I think? I think it was styled a bit like Final Fantasy Tactics. Had an alcoholic dog man as a party member.

Yeah that's all I got. Shockingly, it's hard to Google! :v: plus there's roughly 198 billion jrpgs and oh god sorting is a nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Wild guess based on a single Google result: Breath of Fire IV?