Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
God I can't win with my group sometimes.

"hey you take too long searching."
*makes tech with non searchable tri lands because I don't have any fetch lands in the deck*
"why aren't you using the better tri lands?"
"because Im not using fetch lands?"
"why?!"

3 way commander sucks when the other two are always arguing and you're caught in the middle. :( Especially when they argue about who I should be bullying and I can't judge the board state at all.

So I made a deck that kills them both at the same time :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

only non-creature spell in my Sliver deck is Flying Crane Technique, because :getin:

That is also fun, I enjoy having a curveball like that, especially since the last sliver you add is usually not too exciting.

Raenir Salazar posted:

God I can't win with my group sometimes.

It’s tough when your group is like that, but some people (me) just like to complain and cajole friends. If you don’t let it bother you, and try to focus on the fun, you’ll have a better time and often others will lighten up.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

So I finally picked up the last few critical cards for my Imodane deck and got to take it for a spin last weekend.

First game was nothing as one guy had a turn 4 infinite mana combo deck.

Second game with a different group I got Imodane out T4 and Neheb, the Eternal on T5. Turn 6 I attack into one guy who didn't block, then use the 8 red mana to plop down City on Fire. Tap for 3 and smack another guy's commander with Frantic Firebolt. Since I had a bolt in the bin, his commander takes 9, which then causes Imodane to smack everyone else in the face for 27.

Gonna see about balancing it out a little more, but overall I really had a blast with it. :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

As a card carrying Sliver Snob myself, here's the Galaxy Brain meme version of this:
  • Tiny Brain: I'm putting in value creatures like Craterhoof Behemoth into my Sliver deck.
  • Sparking Brain: Sorry, but Changelings aren't Slivers in my book, so I'm not including Mirror Entity.
  • Shimmering Brain: Those terrible humaniform slivers from M14 are an abomination, and not in a cool way. There are a few reprints with better art, like Manaweft Sliver, at least.
  • Exploding Brain: "Slivers you control" is cheating and the worst thing Magic ever did. Symmetrical effects or bust.
  • Galaxy Brain: Those chumps at the Riptide Project were posers. As a true Sliver aficionado, I only put original Rathi slivers (or ORS, as we enthusiasts call them). Also, Metallic Sliver is my commander.

Slivers affecting all other slithers would be interesting. I'd like to play a match of commander with that stipulation and the consideration of should you play your sliver if it's gonna buff the others

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Khanstant posted:

Slivers affecting all other slithers would be interesting. I'd like to play a match of commander with that stipulation and the consideration of should you play your sliver if it's gonna buff the others

The old Slivers affected all other Slivers, not just your own. They changed that later to make it more intuitive for players. A lot of old cards were like that: Elvish Champion and Lord of Atlantis buffed all Elves and Merfolk respectively. Priest of Titania counted all Elves, not just your own.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Make a new Rofellos that cares about all forests, cowards.
E: or make it an enchantment that also references Carpet of Flowers.
Carpet of Rofellos (G)(G)
At the beginning of your main phase if you haven't added mana with [card name] this turn add green mana equal to the number of Forests.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 27, 2023

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think I like the idea of an equipment commander deck, but who are good commanders for it, and what does winning with one usually look like? Like throwing 1000 equipments on 1 guy and attacking 1 person at a time with combat damage seems slow and easy to disrupt. Is mono-white viable or do we need red for damage doubling/tripling as well as various Nahris?

I feel like Sram would be a good commander, but probably draw hate like crazy, and probably goes in a super fast competitive deck, and I wanna do dumb poo poo like tutoring all 3 Kaldra pieces.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Moose posted:

I think I like the idea of an equipment commander deck, but who are good commanders for it, and what does winning with one usually look like? Like throwing 1000 equipments on 1 guy and attacking 1 person at a time with combat damage seems slow and easy to disrupt. Is mono-white viable or do we need red for damage doubling/tripling as well as various Nahris?

I feel like Sram would be a good commander, but probably draw hate like crazy, and probably goes in a super fast competitive deck, and I wanna do dumb poo poo like tutoring all 3 Kaldra pieces.

Syr Gwyn knights is fun because it gives you 3 colors to play with.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I had a pretty fun Bruenor deck. One free equip and +2/+0 for each equipment attached can get out of hand. +4/+0 and double strike for a pair of brass knuckles? Don't mind if I do.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I have a voltron deck with this guy

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Aftermath Nahiri is pretty nuts, and Kellan, the Fae-Blooded from WOE is bonkers with living weapon/for mirrodin! strats

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

A Moose posted:

I think you'd definitely want to lean on myriad if going for an equipment combat kill.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I have two equipment decks.

One is Nazahn who both tutors but also wants to go wide since every time an equipped creature i control attacks i can tap their best blockers down. Also cat synergy since Biran, Kemba, og Brimaz, etc

The other is Shagrat who was forgotten immediately but I still like him :3: the deck runs all the good amass poo poo, some of the weird niche rakdos color equipment that rarely sees play, and the fact he lets me steal opponents poo poo like greaves, swords, etc can throw people off hard lol

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

I run Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist // Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh as partners for an equipment deck. It can be fun but can run out of steam quickly. It does well in my group who often play little interruption battle cruiser decks. Stuff like getting a bunch of bloodforged battle axes or using Ardenn to toss a colossus hammer or two onto my commander is always fun.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You could also run Kediss instead of Rograhk but that would probably raise your threat level.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

So I’m curious, how many decks do people have that starts as a concept WITHOUT a commander, vs the number of decks that started with the Commander and built from there?

I ask because I assume like 90%+ of decks start with the Commander. That’s certainly true of my decks. But now I have three decks that started as concepts, and for which I determined a Commander as part of the building process: Demon Typal, Jeskai Dice-Rolling, and Gruff Octuplets.

So I’m wondering how many others do this and build some decks without having the commander in mind at the start.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I am not really creative and just pick up precons that interest me to gut them out and find old obscure cards to put into them for flavor and jank.

And then my competitive side wants to put in redundancy when I focus on defense or offense. And it gets all sorts of hosed.

I'm currently staring at like 78 cards (31 in my possession, 37 on a maybe list) on what to realistically put into an Esper knights precon, and I really REALLY enjoy finding obscure poo poo like the North, South, East, West, paladins that can blow up creatures for two colored mana and tapping. Or tap, pay one life and blow up a black creature, using Rogue Class to give em all Menace, or using Promise of Tomorrow to just bounce back from a Wrath.

For me it's always finding a commander first that sounds fun and building around that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Extra combat steps (of which there are many sources in Boros) work well

Khanstant posted:

I think you'd definitely want to lean on myriad if going for an equipment combat kill.

Myriad doesn't copy equipment on creatures, hence Stangg, Echo Warrior.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

johnny park posted:

I have a voltron deck with this guy

Oooh, care to post?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I mean if you want to use equipment and myriad to kill people the obvious choice would seem to be Godo

but while it's not super fast (by modern competitive standards), that also probably goes against "not drawing hate" and wanting to use fun dumb artifacts instead of just winning via a very well-defined line of play

another very strong "equipment" commander that comes to mind and which obviously benefits from otherwise janky equipment (while simultaneously probably also failing to meeting the implied criteria) is Slicer

A Moose posted:

you'll note both examples above are mono-red, good enough to be and/or have been competitive commanders, and get above around the "one person at a time" limitation by either comboing with equipment or (effectively) getting to attack every turn with their commander (who has an effective ~x2 damage mulitplier due to how commander damage works, something to consider in voltron strategies)

loading up one unit to attack once per turn is slower and easier to disrupt and probably won't rise to be on the level of competitive deck, but you can definitely make it strong enough to get people complaining/consistently win or get arch-enemy status against people playing decks falling short of competitive status, the trick is generally a combination of speed and inherent protection/resilience - an example would be something like Light-Paws (where the commander needs to be removed instantly or it will be extremely hard/impossible to interact with and quickly punching one player a turn to death via unblockable commander damage)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

TotalHell posted:

So I’m curious, how many decks do people have that starts as a concept WITHOUT a commander, vs the number of decks that started with the Commander and built from there?

I've had one or two decks start from me finding a really weird bulk rare in one of my boxes or from a pack from a set that came out while I was taking a year off from mtg, one that doesnt really lend itself to an obvious archetype, and wondering what kind of decks would want it, and then going through the results of a cursory search to see what pops out to me. I wouldn't have my Verazol list if I hadnt pulled a skyclave relic and gone "ok what non-gimbal deck should i put this in" and found that like 60% of Verazol lists run it

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oooh, care to post?

I don't have it uploaded anywhere, but basically it's just a bunch of equipment and auras that gives him flying/menace/unblockable/etc. plus lots of white instants to protect him. Plus Sigarda's Aid because you just gotta have it. It was inspired by a deck I found that combo'd it with this card:

So even with zero other buffs he can swing for 18 commander damage in one turn. It's lethal if you play the adventure and then equip it the same turn. However I don't have this card because I decided it was too strong to be fun with my friends

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

If you wanna be a HUGE rear end in a top hat you can make this guy your commander and swing for approximately one hundred billion commander damage with him and Raiyuu on the board

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sublime archangel and Karazikar are also good adds for that deck.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

A Moose posted:

Mono-white equipment is entirely viable. Sram can probably do it, so can the Kembas, but my personal version is Ardenn/Akroma partners. Going voltron is the easiest path but you can also get a go-wide version or even just generic goodstuff.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Play Rafiq of the Many. Something like this: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/Jr4qWPVUxkGeqXkG8WSVnQ but maybe with fewer ETB Tapped lands and more interaction.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

TotalHell posted:

I ask because I assume like 90%+ of decks start with the Commander. That’s certainly true of my decks. But now I have three decks that started as concepts, and for which I determined a Commander as part of the building process: Demon Typal, Jeskai Dice-Rolling, and Gruff Octuplets.

So I’m wondering how many others do this and build some decks without having the commander in mind at the start.

I've done both, either I just look through commanders that I have and build around them like my Scion of the Ur-Dragon or Brion Stoutarm decks, or I have a concept that I want to make, and then try to find a commander for them. Like I have a bunch of enchantment synergy stuff, so I looked into making an enchantment deck. Or I want to make a huge but non-infinite number of 2/2 zombie tokens, but I don't have Gisa yet. So I threw all my zombie tokens stuff and just grabbed Erebos because I needed a mono black commander.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

TotalHell posted:

There was only one time I tried to make a deck before I had a commander in mind, and that was when I wanted to make golem tribal featuring all the splicers. When I finally went looking for one, I couldn't find anything that was in at least Bant colors that interested in me, even taking into account Ich-Tekik.

Of course, maybe it was all for the best because now WOE gave us Brenard who is literally perfect for what I wanted.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
i still kinda want to make a mutate deck, shame wotc never explored it more.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Ivy mutate is incredibly cool

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dizz posted:

A Goon posted this a while back. I modified it some but it needs work. You can probably find the original by putting the deck name in the search bar: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/FDq4gsxAuU2-0WxGtHmkYQ

E:

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Ivy mutate is incredibly cool

I would hate to keep track of the mutate aura copies, even with tokens you can draw on.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Batterypowered7 posted:

I would hate to keep track of the mutate aura copies, even with tokens you can draw on.

This is true. There are two pilots at my LGS and both of them do a really good job with the dry-erase tokens and have definitely done it A Lot so it’s not awful but almost certainly a learning curve there.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah the easiest is to just make a list on a dry erase token, that's what I do for my Ivy. I didn't do mutate in my deck but I may have to throw in a little bit. Just, as a treat

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

TotalHell posted:

I pick a theme before a commander at least half the time. Most of my decks treat the commander as an 8th card in hand - a really nice 8th card, but nothing that's required to function.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dizz posted:

It's criminal that two of the ikoria-based cards we got in aftermath were yet another hardened scales variant and Humans auto-include #472, but no mutators

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My group banned First Sliver :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So play a second one. who is checking decks in commander?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

My group banned First Sliver :(

As a commander or in the deck?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Floppychop posted:

As a commander or in the deck?

As the Commander. We learned how Cascade works and when I have only 2 1 drop slivers they didn't like the time it takes to go through my whole library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

You need to find a different group