Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Escape Goat posted:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9985697/rob-schneider-cancels-trip-canada-honoured-fought-nazi-parliament/

First they came for Rob Schneider, and I did not speak up, because I was not a stapler

lol
https://x.com/FluorescentGrey/status/1706186741558755493?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

ZShakespeare posted:

your company hiring?

Yes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
not a canadian just a friendly neighbor from Buffalo stopping by to say the Nazi applause snafu is one of the funniest things ever and I'm looking forward to seeing that 98 year old man being executed in Poland by Punching Squad

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

not a canadian just a friendly neighbor from Buffalo stopping by to say the Nazi applause snafu is one of the funniest things ever and I'm looking forward to seeing that 98 year old man being executed in Poland by Punching Squad

welcome to the world of Canadian politics, and thanks for letting us cross border shop

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

We all know Canada is a joke but now the rest of the world knows too :kiddo:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I’m looking forward to Canada telling the world that SS members weren’t all fascists

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not looking forward to that at all

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yo when are we getting Culver’s tho
Culver's sells fries, and gravy, and deep-fried cheese curds, but there's no poutine on the menu. It's borderline criminal.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

wynott dunn posted:

I’m looking forward to Canada telling the world that SS members weren’t all fascists

The Ukrainian members were just proud nationalists who used the tools that were available to them to secure a bright future for their country. They did get a bit political from time to time, but who doesn't in this crazy mixed up world?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

wynott dunn posted:

How long until our elected officials give a standing ovation in recognition of the Great and Noble leader of those brave soldiers who fought against Russia in World War II, who was forced to commit suicide lest he be caught by the nefarious and duplicitous Russians? What was his name? Adel Hummer? Something like that?

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

aren't there multiple monuments for :hitler:victims of communism:hitler: still floating around canada

hell they're still building this thing in ottawa (article from 2021, photo from this august)

quote:

A controversial monument being built in Ottawa to honour victims of communist regimes has received donations in honour of known fascists and Nazi collaborators, according to a list posted online by the organization spearheading the project.

Pavelić was the wartime leader of the Ustaša, the fascist organization that ran the Independent State of Croatia, a Nazi puppet regime. In this role, Pavelić was the chief perpetrator of the Holocaust in the Balkans. Approximately 32,000 Jews, 25,000 Roma and 330,000 Serbs were murdered by the regime.

An organization calling itself the Knightly Order of Vitéz purchased five bricks. "Several members of the order actively participated in the persecution, despoliation and, in 1944, the deportation of the Hungarian Jews," said László Karsai, a professor of history at the University of Szeged.

Vitéz members included high-ranking members of the Nazi-puppet government established late in the war, which organized the deportation of some 437,000 Hungarian Jews. "It was the biggest, fastest deportation action of the Holocaust," said Karsai. "Several tens of thousands of Vitéz members got large lands (from) Jewish properties."

The League of Ukrainian Canadians' Edmonton Branch, meanwhile, purchased five virtual bricks in honour of Roman Shukhevych — who led the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA) during the Second World War and was responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of Belarusians, Jews, Poles and Ukrainians.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/victims-communism-memorial-fascists-1.6112809

and wikipedia:

quote:

Ludwik Klimkowski, chair of Tribute to Liberty stated that questions about who will be commemorated "are premature" since both Tribute to Liberty and the Department of Canadian Heritage are still reviewing the final list of names which will be included on the memorial. He did not confirm that the money to commemorate Nazi collaborators was refused and returned, saying it would be "premature to comment".

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
is that the monument with qr codes instead of engravings

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That looks like a monument to the heat exchanger in my AC unit.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Frosted Flake posted:

Canada was a real country until Ukrainian Nazis pushed for Official Multiculturalism.*

* I realize that biculturalism had stalled out and Upper and Lower Canada were stuck in sectarian strife but we could have been like Belgium.

vyelkin posted:

pull up, FF

no

i want to hear FF's take on the canadian version of the belgian congo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
*dusts off the craniometry calipers*

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Hubbert posted:

no

i've heard that working conditions in canadian companies-owned mines are the worst in africa.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Hubbert posted:

no

That's just Canada

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hubbert posted:

no

Furiously typing out 10,000 words about the convergent evolution of East India Company uniforms and Hudson's Bay Company's coats.

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

infernal machines posted:

*dusts off the craniometry calipers*

What dust . . .

quote:

-Among those aged 16 years and older, persons with disabilities earn 21.4% less than persons without disabilities.

-Looking by disability type, the pay gap was greatest between persons with cognitive disabilities and persons without disabilities (46.4%).

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/89-654-x/89-654-x2023002-eng.htm

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eXXon posted:

Furiously typing out 10,000 words about the convergent evolution of East India Company uniforms and Hudson's Bay Company's coats.

hardly. ff is just waiting for the research department to finish transcribing the microfiche of a 1972 scholarly article on the subject

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hubbert posted:

no

The Canadian version is just the Congo, where Canadian mining companies are the largest in both DRC and Brazzaville.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

tristeham posted:

i've heard that working conditions in canadian companies-owned mines are the worst in africa.

PhilippAchtel posted:

That's just Canada

Frosted Flake posted:

The Canadian version is just the Congo, where Canadian mining companies are the largest in both DRC and Brazzaville.

:hmmyes:

you all got me on this, time to eat my hat

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Durf posted:

aren't there multiple monuments for :hitler:victims of communism:hitler: still floating around canada

hell they're still building this thing in ottawa (article from 2021, photo from this august)

that looks like the air conditioner at some rich architects house

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Looks really annoying to clean if red paint got on it.

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Remember when Ross Rebagliati tested positive for thc after winning his gold medal? Canada has been snowboarding downhill ever since…

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

tristeham posted:

In 1996, Sutton Resources buried 50 protesting miners alive in Bulyahulu, Tanzania using bulldozers. They are now a subsidiary of Barrick Gold.

I thought I read about the Supreme Court of Canada banning a book on the topic from publication, but I can't find a source for that now.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Chamale posted:

In 1996, Sutton Resources buried 50 protesting miners alive in Bulyahulu, Tanzania using bulldozers. They are now a subsidiary of Barrick Gold.

I thought I read about the Supreme Court of Canada banning a book on the topic from publication, but I can't find a source for that now.

Oof

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Chamale posted:

yeah it was Deneault's Noir Canada

Following the publication of Noir Canada, mining company Barrick Gold sent Écosociété a threatening letter regarding alleged inaccuracies in the book's description of evictions at the Bulyanhulu Gold Mine in Tanzania in 1996. The book's launch was postponed as a result, but the publisher managed to distribute 1,700 copies. Barrick filed a $6-million lawsuit against the authors and the publisher for libel.[5]

The lawsuit has been considered by some to be a strategic lawsuit against public participation (SLAPP). On 12 August 2011 the Quebec Superior Court ruled that "Barrick seems to be trying to intimidate authors", that the suit was "seemingly abusive",[6] and that Barrick must pay the authors and publisher $143,000 to prepare their defense. On 18 October 2011 Barrick, the authors, and the publisher reached an out-of-court settlement that included a payment to Barrick and ceasing publication of the book.[7] Deneault told news media that the authors had agreed to the settlement in order to bring an end to the legal proceedings, so that they could "return to having our discussions back in the public sphere, instead of the courtroom".[7]

In May 2008 a coalition of Quebec organizations formed to push for anti-SLAPP legislation. The Barrick suit against Écosociété (which joined the coalition) helped bring awareness to the cause.[8] On 4 June 2009 Quebec adopted an anti-SLAPP bill called "An Act to amend the Code of Civil Procedure to prevent improper use of the courts and promote freedom of expression and citizen participation in public debate".[9]

In June 2008 another mining company, Banro Corporation, sued the authors and publisher for allegedly defamatory content in Noir Canada, for $5 million. The prosecution took place in Ontario courts, despite the fact that fewer than 100 copies of the book were distributed in the province. The publisher appealed to the Supreme Court to repatriate the suit to Quebec, partly because of its newly adopted anti-SLAPP legislation, but was denied.[10][11] In 2013, the proceedings ended with an out-of-court settlement that involved Écosociété paying compensation to Banro.[10]

In February 2010 Barrick Gold sent a letter threatening legal action to everyone involved in the book Imperial Canada Inc.: Legal Haven of Choice for the World's Mining Industries, an English translation of a book by Deneault and William Sacher, also about the Canadian mining industry.[12]

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Freeland asked about reopening investigation into Nazi war criminals living in Canada

it keeps getting funnier

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the most absolute nonsense nothing response

also I’m guessing no one’s pointing out freeland’s personal connection to all this

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

physician investigate thyself

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
what's the response been from the general Canadian literati? is the d&d canpol thread furiously trying to dismiss it as Russian propaganda?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

crepeface posted:

what's the response been from the general Canadian literati? is the d&d canpol thread furiously trying to dismiss it as Russian propaganda?

the D&D canpol thread shares more posters with this thread than it does with any other D&D thread. the only reason there's two threads is because there's people going "eww i won't post in [D&D/cspam]" sometimes with "because [that guy i dislike] posts in the other one"

it's 90% the same discussions with the same tone involving the same people

e: actually that's not quite true. there's also a dedicated housing/economy canpol D&D thread which is again, 90% of the same people and the same tone. so i guess the D&D canpol regular thread shares posters with that one the most, THEN this thread.

Arivia has issued a correction as of 08:34 on Sep 28, 2023

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
the cbc at issue panel thinks the real problem is a general misunderstanding of the role of the speaker in parliament

so that continues my lifelong streak of finding totally useless every comment that begins "people don't understand [government institution]"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

maybe I should reconsider, that comment was very helpful in identifying some lady I'd never heard of before as a liberal flak within about ten seconds of opening her mouth

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pokeyman posted:

the cbc at issue panel thinks the real problem is a general misunderstanding of the role of the speaker in parliament

so that continues my lifelong streak of finding totally useless every comment that begins "people don't understand [government institution]"

i mean i think the general misunderstanding part is correct in so far as a lot of people who aren't politically informed seem to think trudeau and every sitting liberal mp had input on the speaker's guest list. that said, trudeau apologizing on behalf of canada in general was the right thing to do.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

the unanimity and repetition of the celebration of the nazi by canadian mps struck me as evidence the problem runs deeper than any one office or party, but sure, I guess there's always time for a civics lesson

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Liberals don't understand the concept of "the purpose of a system is what it does" nor that there doesn't need to be literal collusion (although in this case, I bet there was) for a system to consistently produce a certain pattern of results.

Once again, they will throw everything on these handful of individuals because it gives them the opportunity to lecture the public and completely miss the real mechanism going on just outside focus.

Which I know you know, but it bears saying once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
i'll forget i'm reading the D&D thread, back out, click the Ukraine thread and wonder why everyone is suddenly clueless about reality