Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Edward Mass posted:

I’d give the AMPTP about a month before they need actors, given the turnaround time of filming for Spring television.

There are multiple films my workplace is waiting to get our hands on that have been delayed due to needing ADR. So I hope that the AMPTP comes to the table soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Email to membership says SAG-AFTRA and the AMPTP will meet for bargaining on Monday, Oct. 2. This will be interesting.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On minimum writer’s room size, the WGA did get their way: “For shows with six or fewer episodes, studios must hire at least three writers and three writer/producers. For shows with between seven and 12 episodes, the minimum is now five writers and three writer/producers and for shows with more than 13 episodes, there must be at least six writers and three writer/producers.”

But there also seems to be a pretty big carve out. If _all_ episodes are written by the same writer or writers, then that group can be as small as they want.

It’s hard to say how much this diminishes the new requirements. The most obvious beneficiaries are the lone wolf writers like Taylor Sheridan.

https://deadline.com/2023/09/mike-white-taylor-sheridan-rule-showrunners-wga-deal-1235557877/

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vegetable posted:

It’s hard to say how much this diminishes the new requirements. The most obvious beneficiaries are the lone wolf writers like Taylor Sheridan.

https://deadline.com/2023/09/mike-white-taylor-sheridan-rule-showrunners-wga-deal-1235557877/

Or ones that are credited as such; I think there's been some insinuations online that Sheridan doesn't actually write all his scripts himself.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Link to the full John August podcast detailing what is in the new WGA MBA. August was on the negotiating committee and has always been an excellent explainer of WGA related things.

https://johnaugust.com/2023/sidecast-whats-in-the-deal

It may be a bit inside baseball if you're not in the industry but I'm sure most interested people will be able to follow along fine.

And here's a link to the summary document they are reading through: https://www.wgacontract2023.org/WGAContract/files/WGA-Negotiations-Tentative-Agreement.pdf

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 28, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does the Directors' Guild feel silly now?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

God I loving hope so

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Dawgstar posted:

Probably not. Directors just don’t give much of a poo poo about this stuff as much as writers and actors do.

blinkeve1826 posted:

Email to membership says SAG-AFTRA and the AMPTP will meet for bargaining on Monday, Oct. 2. This will be interesting.

Oh nevermind. I guess I was wrong about being wrong.

fart blood fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 28, 2023

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

fart blood posted:

Probably not. Directors just don’t give much of a poo poo about this stuff as much as writers and actors do.

Yeah I'm not saying all directors like the part where they order peasants to make art for them more than the money and would do it for free if they could, but a clear majority do otherwise we'd have a triple strike

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah I'm not saying all directors like the part where they order peasants to make art for them more than the money and would do it for free if they could, but a clear majority do otherwise we'd have a triple strike

Directors are perfectly fine being gods and right now they see AI as benefiting them over everyone else, so they just didn’t give a poo poo mostly.

Will they be right? Time will tell.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Directors are really one or two steps removed from bog-standard managers, of course they're more aligned to the executives than most creatives.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You can teach AI to write. You even can teach AI to act! What you can't do is teach AI to direct, and that's why their guild didn't strike.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
I’ll be the (slight) disagreer, I think the fact that I saw a fair amount of DGA members on Twitter complain about the lovely deal they got has me thinking (hoping?) it’s just a lot of lovely leadership at top.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

You can teach AI to write. You even can teach AI to act! What you can't do is teach AI to direct, and that's why their guild didn't strike.

This seems... either wrong or will be proven wrong before the end of the decade maybe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

cartoons123 posted:

I’ll be the (slight) disagreer, I think the fact that I saw a fair amount of DGA members on Twitter complain about the lovely deal they got has me thinking (hoping?) it’s just a lot of lovely leadership at top.

Yeah there has been some grumbling that DGA leadership were pretty unilateral in taking a deal.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

nine-gear crow posted:

This seems... either wrong or will be proven wrong before the end of the decade maybe.

As someone who barely passed Directing for Stage in college, I can firmly say that AI is at my level right now with regards to the skill. Now, seven years from now? Anything's possible.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

As someone who barely passed Directing for Stage in college, I can firmly say that AI is at my level right now with regards to the skill. Now, seven years from now? Anything's possible.
What AI tool are you comparing against?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vegetable posted:

What AI tool are you comparing against?

UNIT9

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't it the DGA that had the email leaked about not voting activist directors onto the board?

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
https://x.com/TVMoJoe/status/1707554699522789557?s=20

Good Little Rundown of the last five months, with some summaries and explanations of the new deal

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1707642086151823575

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was this just like filming strangers in public kinda b-roll? Interesting to know it's covered by the unions, I think I kind of assumed most people in b-roll didn't necessarily even know they were being filmed for it but fair game in public for the most part, aside from legal permits. Glad the unions were able to stop Netflix trying to sneak in some work.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Khanstant posted:

Was this just like filming strangers in public kinda b-roll? Interesting to know it's covered by the unions, I think I kind of assumed most people in b-roll didn't necessarily even know they were being filmed for it but fair game in public for the most part, aside from legal permits. Glad the unions were able to stop Netflix trying to sneak in some work.

Usually there's a big sign that says "FILM PRODUCTION IN PROGRESS. IF YOU GO PAST THIS SIGN YOU CONSENT TO BE FILMED" When studios need public area b-roll. I get the feeling this is what happens when they don't put up the sign

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Well, I'm glad the writers reached a deal before this happened

https://twitter.com/lara_korte/status/1708305071673676139

Man, gently caress Newsom

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do a recall, sounds like a bad guy

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I do not understand how Republicans hate this guy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that doesn’t bode well for SAG

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is why I have to tell Dem people I know that Newsom is not to be trusted. He pretends like he's super progressive, but he's more than happy to tell labor or workers to eat poo poo

He also recently vetoed a bill in CA that would expand protections for trans children.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, if you're not in this state it's easy to miss that he's been very lukewarm for years, but the last 12 months have been incredibly calculated in a way that seems to be moving center-ward for a 2024 run.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He's been running for President forever, biding his time

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

claw game handjob posted:

Yeah, if you're not in this state it's easy to miss that he's been very lukewarm for years, but the last 12 months have been incredibly calculated in a way that seems to be moving center-ward for a 2024 run.

Oh my god Republicans are still going to call him a commie and not vote for him :cripes::cripes:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's been running for President forever, biding his time

Yeeeeep. He's gonna be the Democratic nominee in 2028 one way or another because nobody wants a woman Kamala Harris to be president. That's assuming Trump loses in 2024 because he could still somehow win and then all bets are off as to what happens. But it's probably gonna be Newsom vs. whoever on the Republican side because he's working like mad to position himself as the establishment centrist successor to Biden.

It was supposed to be Newsom vs. DeSantis in 2028 but Ronny D couldn't wait and wound up shooting both his feet right out of his big white rubber pooty boots and is now loving dead at Trump's feet.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Happy Landfill posted:

Oh my god Republicans are still going to call him a commie and not vote for him :cripes::cripes:

These moves aren’t to appease republicans they’re to appease the centrist libs

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

1st AD posted:

These moves aren’t to appease republicans they’re to appease the centrist libs
….Yes, centrists do hate labor and trans people. If we would all just pipe down and let them pass some opportunity tax credits instead of constantly whining, why, the New York Times opinion columnists would be very happy!

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

that doesn’t bode well for SAG

Does it though? The studios already gave the writers almost everything they wanted so the studios don’t have a lot of leverage right now.

This still sucks because so many actors need help but I don’t see this hurting tomorrow’s talks that much.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

What can I say? Dems are not your allies and the government isn't on your side.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
My understanding is the bill Newsom vetoed wouldn’t even apply to the current strikes so it doesn’t give SAG leverage anyway.

Feldegast42 posted:

What can I say? Dems are not your allies and the government isn't on your side.

This is democrats we are talking about so it wouldn’t shock me if they passed this bill knowing Newsom was going to veto it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
His supposed concerns stated in the reasoning are easy enough to address, just update the UI funding methods and presto

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Szurumbur posted:

His supposed concerns stated in the reasoning are easy enough to address, just update the UI funding methods and presto

But that would involve government doing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

What I don’t know is whether or not the Dems in the CA Legislature have the votes for an override