Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Hot drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Looking at the new characters coming out for the movie I genuinely can't understand how much worse the character designs got. I even liked Seed despite it being ugly but now it's on a entirely baffling level.

Yeah, I had a visceral reaction when I saw them. It's been decades since Seed, how did the character designer not improve any in that time?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Did up that garlic olive oil/confit today

https://imgur.com/a/hnb9fOB

Mae Ploy, Rosemary Thyme Sage Garlic and straight roast garlic

Now it’s time for some Pirates!

https://imgur.com/a/UOpEL5T

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Lmao, someone was stopped at the corner next to my house absolutely blasting "Like a Rock" like they were in a real life Chevy truck commercial

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I never knew that was a real song, I just assumed it was created by Chevy for those ads.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, Bob Seger. The music video is notable only due to how much of an 80's boss the bassist is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMIJuuk1SFs&t=269s

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Rectal Placenta posted:

Yeah, Bob Seger. The music video is notable only due to how much of an 80's boss the bassist is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMIJuuk1SFs&t=269s

A double-neck Steinberger bass is one of the most 80s thing I’ve ever seen.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
God that song singlehandedly made watching non-Redzone NFL games impossible. Perhaps if you show me that Chevy Truck another 40 times this hour I might buy one

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
less

than

ze

ro

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

DAME TO THE BUCKS LET'S GOOOOO

:unsmith: he’s so goddamn good and Dame and Giannis together is an unfair NBA Jam team.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Hot Diggity! posted:

DAME TO THE BUCKS LET'S GOOOOO
Of all the ways to learn of the trade, I got it from this:
https://twitter.com/trimet/status/1707183744816464353?s=46&t=crshEc6ZJO1zh40ZDAIfPQ

I think this was mentioned before, but my studio mates showed me this as I guess this teaser dropped today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRrqvjjKlOs
Whelp I don't need to sleep anytime soon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fat Bear Week warmup is up - it's the Junior Match poll, which officially starts tomorrow the 28th.
https://explore.org/fat-bear-week

yearlings

910 looks fatter maybe but 909's got that "just got out of the shower and lookin fine" vibe

here's a fanmade video of 909, these bears have fans of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H82SgRkQfq4

cubs

probably just the closeup but I wanna pet 806's floof real bad

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1707209235728380302

lmao

and I thought ron desanctimonious was bad

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Mom has knee replacement surgery today and she is super nervous about it. For my medical goons or anyone who has had to deal with it for a family member, any advice or things I should know for recovery?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SundayMoney posted:

Mom has knee replacement surgery today and she is super nervous about it. For my medical goons or anyone who has had to deal with it for a family member, any advice or things I should know for recovery?

Total? Partial?

One of the most common ortho procedures. Very high success rate. Depending on the kind of replacement and your mothers health and when the surgery was performed she could go home the same day. If she’s got some health stuff going on, certain age etc she might need a quick few days in inpatient rehab. If she’s in good health, PT can start as soon as the next day (light stuff of course nothing serious right away). Will be in a brace for a 7-14 days but thats mostly to let the incisions heal. She’ll be weight bearing as tolerated fairly quickly.

Depending on health, she could be back to weight bearing without restriction in 10-12 weeks. But thats just an estimate of what I can remember. I’m sure there’s one person who’ll sweep in here with the top results from google and point out I was off by two weeks or something.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 28, 2023

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Total? Partial?

One of the most common ortho procedures. Very high success rate. Depending on the kind of replacement and your mothers health and when the surgery was performed she could go home the same day. If she’s got some health stuff going on, certain age etc she might need a quick few days in inpatient rehab. If she’s in good health, PT can start as soon as the next day (light stuff of course nothing serious right away). Will be in a brace for a 7-14 days but thats mostly to let the incisions heal. She’ll be weight bearing as tolerated fairly quickly.

Depending on health, she could be back to weight bearing without restriction in 10-12 weeks. But thats just an estimate of what I can remember. I’m sure there’s one person who’ll sweep in here with the top results from google and point out I was off by two weeks or something.

It's a total and she's really obese and under the age of 60.

I really appreciate it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SundayMoney posted:

It's a total and she's really obese and under the age of 60.

Okay. She gonna need a few days inpatient to make sure nothing looks infected then a stint of inpatient rehab. Inpatient rehab is fantastic. That’s where I worked as a cna before PA school. Basically round the clock PT and nursing. Doctor checks in once a day to make sure nothing else is going wrong. Insurance usually covers this because the outcomes are so much better.

Sometimes people are given the option of inpatient or home. Home doesn’t do as well because home PT is time based and instead of he patient being brought to the pt room ready to go, they have to get out of bed, get ready, go to the bathroom etc so in the end they get less pt. OTOH they’re home so ya know. Also if they’re diabetic weird stuff happens to your body after surgery and it’s not a bad idea to have nursing there to restabilize everything.

If there’s a good inpatient rehab where you are they might have pool therapy which is just about the best thing for obese people with LE joint replacements.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 28, 2023

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My dad recently had his first total knee replacement and his other is next month.

He was heavy and ended up losing significant weight for the surgeon he found to do it, but apparently this guy is one of the best in the Carolinas and just happens to practice near him. I dunno, probably bullshit.

He was in the hospital for two or three days afterwards, then got sent home and got a little machine through insurance that I guess this doctor designed. It helps him bend his knee over the rehab time and then helps him measure how much of an angle he can bend to. He said was pretty aggressive in following and exceeding the recommendations as pain allowed and for to like 110 degrees over the first month.

His repaired knee leg is now an inch and a half longer than the other as a result of fixing the extensive bowing. He had no regrets.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

SundayMoney posted:

My dad had both his knees done in the last four years and bear in mind a lot of this can be impacted by general level of health. His was less-complicated because he was/is very mobile and otherwise healthy.

Do everything you can to help w fall mitigation (cane, walker, etc). Also my dad used this little sleeve that circulates super cold water and it really helped w pain and inflammation.

Make sure she keeps up with PT. Lots of folks delay appointments because it is difficult, but it’s the most important thing. It seems torturous but she’s got to break up that scar tissue or her recovery will be much longer and range of motion will be impacted.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Also total knees can last for like 35 years now it’s insane.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

More things as I phone post between sets.

Weight loss is the absolute most important thing and it’s one of the reasons I hate a lot of orthos. Her other knee likely needs replacement too, and as she recovers she’s going to compensate by putting more strain on it.

Additionally, even if she has both knees replaced, that’s going to put the strain somewhere else. Imagine the hips, knees, and ankle joints all bearing the strain together. Six points of failure, oversimplified. You just made one of them very strong. That actually makes the whole system weaker.

In your body when you have a bone break, the healed portion is initially stronger than the rest of the bone. This is bad because it changes how stress is distributed. So the body sends little cells called osteoblasts to eat up the healed bone a little so it matches everything around it.

With your mother, the strain is now going to be worse on the hips and ankles, and uneven initially. The joint can make the entire system weaker, paradoxically, in the setting of obesity.

poo poo is wild man. Ortho is boring as hell but it’s always cool listening to doctors just shoot the poo poo.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

poo poo is wild man. Ortho is boring as hell but it’s always cool listening to doctors just shoot the poo poo.

Yes I’d like to be a structural engineer. But the structure is dynamic. Also made of organic materials that are constantly healing and metabolizing themselves. Also the structure smoked for fifty years and played beer league softball way too long.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FizFashizzle posted:

Additionally, even if she has both knees replaced, that’s going to put the strain somewhere else. Imagine the hips, knees, and ankle joints all bearing the strain together. Six points of failure, oversimplified. You just made one of them very strong. That actually makes the whole system weaker.

This happened to me after my multiple blood clotting episodes (first started in October 2015, diagnosed in January 2016, finally found a viable treatment for Factor V Leiden in March 2016, but enough nerve and muscle necrosis happened that I now walk with a cane). My left leg is the one that had most of the damage, so I began favoring my right leg fairly significantly.

Guess what? That right hip and knee started to hurt like hell, because they were getting more work than the other side. Took some pretty intensive PT to get through it. I still walk with a cane when I go out, because my left leg is still weak and I also have a compression fracture at T12 and a herniated disc at T8, but at least I can move around my apartment without it now.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Leperflesh posted:

Fat Bear Week warmup is up - it's the Junior Match poll, which officially starts tomorrow the 28th.
https://explore.org/fat-bear-week

yearlings

910 looks fatter maybe but 909's got that "just got out of the shower and lookin fine" vibe

here's a fanmade video of 909, these bears have fans of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H82SgRkQfq4

cubs

probably just the closeup but I wanna pet 806's floof real bad

drat, you would think 806 would have the advantage being a solo cub, but it actually looks pretty even

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Timby posted:

This happened to me after my multiple blood clotting episodes (first started in October 2015, diagnosed in January 2016, finally found a viable treatment for Factor V Leiden in March 2016, but enough nerve and muscle necrosis happened that I now walk with a cane). My left leg is the one that had most of the damage, so I began favoring my right leg fairly significantly.

Guess what? That right hip and knee started to hurt like hell, because they were getting more work than the other side. Took some pretty intensive PT to get through it. I still walk with a cane when I go out, because my left leg is still weak and I also have a compression fracture at T12 and a herniated disc at T8, but at least I can move around my apartment without it now.

Yeah dude you went through it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah dude you went through it.

Even now I occasionally overdo it, which is when I'm very thankful for my TENS unit to put on the IT band in my right hip area.

Edit: Even though I nearly died from clots, I'm glad I turned out to be resistant to Warfarin. Life without leafy greens suuuuucked.

Timby fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 28, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FizFashizzle posted:

More things as I phone post between sets.

Weight loss is the absolute most important thing and it’s one of the reasons I hate a lot of orthos. Her other knee likely needs replacement too, and as she recovers she’s going to compensate by putting more strain on it.

In your body when you have a bone break, the healed portion is initially stronger than the rest of the bone. This is bad because it changes how stress is distributed. So the body sends little cells called osteoblasts to eat up the healed bone a little so it matches everything around it.

With your mother, the strain is now going to be worse on the hips and ankles, and uneven initially. The joint can make the entire system weaker, paradoxically, in the setting of obesity.

Oh so that's why my dad had two knee replacements and still dealt with a bunch of pain.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I really appreciate all the words everyone and especially Fiz! I will definitely make sure that PT is done which I did tell her before the surgery as well. Yeah once this knee is good to go the other one is next.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ortho chat: My dad when he was 19/20 massively hosed up his knee intertubing when his tube hit a tree, like, total break, bone through the skin type thing. Doctors were able to put it back together, albeit as best they could. This was the 70s so it wasn't as well known what to do. Issue was, they wrapped a major blood vessel around the kneecap. My dad lost a lot of muscle in this leg as a result, his walking was hobbled, and he couldn't do things like run, ride bikes, etc. As my dad got older, the pain from it got worse and worse. Stuff like he wouldn't really move anywhere from it, and constantly complained about the knee and drove my mom crazy from it. He ended up tearing his ACL in his other knee from overworking it.

For the longest time he'd go to different orthos who'd look at the x-rays and be like "nah I'm not touching that" because of that artery in the way until late 2019 he found an experienced one who decided to take it on. Covid delayed the surgery for a bit but in 2020 he finally was able to get a repair. Doc chiseled out a decent amount of his bone around his knee and got something installed to stabilize the knee while precariously avoiding the artery. Apparently this technique is pretty new, and was developed due to all the soldiers that had damaged limbs from the Iraq war (thanks... Bush?). After a short PT stay, he was walking again, and nearly 50 years of pain was gone. He still gets sore from overuse but he can take soreness. He was never able to ride a bike and we were able to do it when we went on family vacation this summer.

He's finally getting his other knee fixed next month,, but that one is a pretty common repair at least :v:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

seiferguy posted:

Apparently this technique is pretty new, and was developed due to all the soldiers that had damaged limbs from the Iraq war (thanks... Bush?).

Maybe the only silver lining of the Bush Wars was the advances in trauma care and field triage.

Fortuitous considering our escalating firearm issues domestically. We can apply all the lessons learned to school children! Multiple times a year!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I definitely overcompensate for a severe left ankle and lower leg injury I got when I hit by a car as a kid. My left foot used to be noticably unnaturally pointed to left due to a gently caress up but 6 months in a leg brace, 8 years of regular pediatric orthopedic visits, and 23 years have mostly fixed that. However all of the time in the brace and having a really awkward gait due to all of that kind of screwed up how I walk and run. I also wear my left shoes out weird since when I walk I lead with the outside part of my foot and I have a real hard time keeping it fully straight. It's worse when I run and my left foot will turn out.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

As an update, Mom's surgery went great and we are now heading home. Thanks again for all the help with advice.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Best of luck with her recovery!. I know how scary it is - glad it was successful

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I'm going overseas for two weeks in November while my mom's on a business trip and then when I get back my mom's taking my sister to antarctica (no really) for two weeks, so we want something so my dad doesn't, you know, die while no one's around.

I've been where you are. Would also recommend buying a few cheap webcams and putting them around the house so you can check in whenever you want.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

SundayMoney posted:

My mom had both her knees replaced this year (2 weeks apart, big mistake but she had no choice if she wanted to be on short term disability the whole recovery time). Just typical stuff, like make sure she does her PT, make sure she tries to bend her knee naturally as much as possible, make sure to go spend some time with her because she won't be able to go socialize much

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

SundayMoney posted:

As an update, Mom's surgery went great and we are now heading home. Thanks again for all the help with advice.

Nice! It’s loving medieval if you actually look into the specifics but it’s so well-developed as a procedure that it’s become routine.

My dad was weight-bearing the same day. It rules.

Hope your mom’s recovery goes well!

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

My Dad had both knees done about a year apart and the main thing his Doc told him was just to keep it moving, it'll be sore but worse later if you don't. So he got an exercise bike and now he's fine. It helped that the pain from the aftermath of the surgery was lower than what he had been putting up with for years so he was happy to be able to actually move around

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Bad news, posting frenzzzz

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1707459431410147422?s=20

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Well, I was indifferent to another shutdown but now I'm pissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I dunno much about knees but I'm an expert at blowing your mums back out.

Ayoooooo