Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Shageletic posted:

Close call lol

One I didn't avoid is my reregistration for the NY Bar. Anyone have any good resources for cheap/worthwhile ways for me to fill up my CLE hr requirements?

Just don't watch two CLEs at the same time: https://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lawyer-suspended-for-trying-to-attend-2-cle-programs-at-once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol thanks for the tip

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Sup law thread, checking in after a long absence. 12 years in crim defence and I've finally been poached by the government, to be the Canadian equivalent of the Wire's Rhonda Pearlman. Time to trade the stacks of cash from questionable sources and midnight phone calls and constant dread of loving up and driving all over the province for an office, 9-5*, suit and tie, and pension.

Well I guess this is growing up

* lol no it fuckin won't be

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Sup law thread, checking in after a long absence. 12 years in crim defence and I've finally been poached by the government, to be the Canadian equivalent of the Wire's Rhonda Pearlman. Time to trade the stacks of cash from questionable sources and midnight phone calls and constant dread of loving up and driving all over the province for an office, 9-5*, suit and tie, and pension.

What a conformist, tribalistic coward only capable of being an unfeeling cog in the machine of criminal injustice?

Anyway nobody posts in here any more.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Gratz traded-it-all-in-for-a-pension buddy!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Please tell me you're gonna work with Terrorist ambulance

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have a link to the Meads sov cit decision from Alberta handy?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have a link to the Meads sov cit decision from Alberta handy?

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

Meads v Meads if you ever need to look it up again.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anytime, friend. It's crazy that a simple divorce case resulted in an over 150 page ruling.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Anytime, friend. It's crazy that a simple divorce case resulted in an over 150 page ruling.

I really hope one of the federal appellate courts drops something similar in near future so it's easier to cite. Plus it would be good to have someone document how the QAnon stuff has started to infiltrate sov cits over the last few years.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Arcturas posted:

I really hope one of the federal appellate courts drops something similar in near future so it's easier to cite. Plus it would be good to have someone document how the QAnon stuff has started to infiltrate sov cits over the last few years.

District courts routinely* cite to Meads v. Meads and then add "and these guys are exhibiting similar bad behavior."

*4 times in 9 years anyway.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The below article discusses impacts following Meads and is worth a read:

https://www.canlii.org/en/commentary/doc/2019CanLIIDocs2094

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Part of my job is to accept service for our department. Yesterday, a sovcit tried to serve a summons for my boss' boss to show up to some "people's tribunal" or something like that. I looked at it, said I don't know what this is, I'm not accepting this, this looks like nothing, and gave it back to her. She got super pissed and stormed out.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

nm posted:

Please tell me you're gonna work with Terrorist ambulance

I don't know!! I've kept a really strict separation between on and offline poo poo. I know exactly one guy from the old lawstudents.ca forums and that's it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Tokelau All Star posted:

Part of my job is to accept service for our department. Yesterday, a sovcit tried to serve a summons for my boss' boss to show up to some "people's tribunal" or something like that. I looked at it, said I don't know what this is, I'm not accepting this, this looks like nothing, and gave it back to her. She got super pissed and stormed out.

This made me laugh

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
The head JAG at our office was trying to talk me into being a backup attorney for the local DoD high school's mock trial team. I tried to tell him that most of my legal career has been trying to avoid doing any actual trial work, and he countered with: 'But think of it, a lot of these kids are probably thinking about going to business school or academia, and have never really considered a career in law before. The mock trial experience can get them excited about the legal system, and nurture a passion that could carry them into law school and a legal career, and you could be the spark that starts that.'

I said 'well gently caress, I'd hate to have that on my conscience.' And we both had a good laugh.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Lmao I used to practice family law in Alberta. Justice Rooke is a tremendous rear end in a top hat and also the perfect person to write a 700 paragraph decision smacking down a sovcit.

I came to this thread looking for anything about finding the ol' "alternative careers for lawyers", but in reading a couple pages, it seems like if anyone knew where to find that, they'd be doing it. Carry on friends :shobon:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Trial for Wendy Adelson’s brother is happening now for those interested. Also, she lied to investigators and her loving phone records show that she was on an active call and drove down the street to verify Dan Markel was dead before the police arrived.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Larry Cum Free posted:

Lmao I used to practice family law in Alberta. Justice Rooke is a tremendous rear end in a top hat and also the perfect person to write a 700 paragraph decision smacking down a sovcit.

I came to this thread looking for anything about finding the ol' "alternative careers for lawyers", but in reading a couple pages, it seems like if anyone knew where to find that, they'd be doing it. Carry on friends :shobon:

Just become a government lawyer, it's great if you can stomach staggering incompetence on the reg.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Trial for Wendy Adelson’s brother is happening now for those interested. Also, she lied to investigators and her loving phone records show that she was on an active call and drove down the street to verify Dan Markel was dead before the police arrived.

That's the case of the murdered FSU law prof?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soylent Pudding posted:

That's the case of the murdered FSU law prof?

Yup. Wendi was sus af on the stand and got caught lying multiple times. Her parents pleaded the fifth when they were served investigative subpoenas.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Just become a government lawyer, it's great if you can stomach staggering incompetence on the reg.

I have to live with my own decisions already, thanks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Charlie Adelson found guilty for murdering Dan Markel for anyone else that had him as a crim law prof at FSU.

Investigation continues as other family members are definitely a part of the conspiracy.

animedatingsim
Mar 27, 2022
I do BigFed litigation and I got an offer from a state agency to do transactional/advisory law in a field that I have zero experience in. I can't really see any of my skills being applicable, but I'm still going to take it because my agency is going downhill.

So do gov attorney-advisors just google stuff all day? Is that what I'll be doing?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

animedatingsim posted:

I do BigFed litigation and I got an offer from a state agency to do transactional/advisory law in a field that I have zero experience in. I can't really see any of my skills being applicable, but I'm still going to take it because my agency is going downhill.

So do gov attorney-advisors just google stuff all day? Is that what I'll be doing?

There will be a body of federal and state law particular to that agency that you'll need to learn. Ideally you start as like #2 or #3 and you learn the basics from the #1 guy before he retires or goes private to take a job lobbying or suing you.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Get ready to learn the statutes regarding your agency, regarding procurement, and regarding government records. Then you'll probably spend a lot of time on contract review/negotiation, public records issues, permitting issues, and possibly legislative matters. Depending on whether your client issues permits or does other stuff that gets them in fights you may need to handle administrative appeals or supervise/handle litigation regarding your agency's actions.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Edit - sorry decided it wasn't a good post.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 11, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hat tip to Ulmont. Donna Adelson, former mother in law to murdered law prof Dan Markel was arrested trying to flee to Vietnam after telling her son on a recorded line (while he sits in the county jail waiting his mandatory life sentence) that she was getting her affairs in order to either kill herself or flee to a non-extradition country. She and her hubby had one way tickets.

https://nypost.com/2023/11/15/news/mom-of-murder-for-hire-dentist-charlie-adelson-also-arrested/

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Toona the Cat posted:

gently caress You.

gently caress You.

You're cool.

gently caress you, I'm out.

1 year now 😎

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There will be a body of federal and state law particular to that agency that you'll need to learn. Ideally you start as like #2 or #3 and you learn the basics from the #1 guy before he retires or goes private to take a job lobbying or suing you.

But inevitably #1 guy retires in a fit of pique leaving everyone to go back to square 1.

Like any law I can think of its niche knowledge based on years of practice and never written down lol.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

This post aged like fine milk. It turns out that filing a complaint against someone almost a decade ago who has clout is enough to blackball you forever :dukedoge:

Back to the grind.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

This post aged like fine milk. It turns out that filing a complaint against someone almost a decade ago who has clout is enough to blackball you forever :dukedoge:

Back to the grind.

Wait what?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Back to the grind.

Man, gently caress this profession

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Gubmit do be like that.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Back to the grind.

lol sucks to be the person who tried to hire you before knowing you were blackballed, as their career is now over too

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

EwokEntourage posted:

lol sucks to be the person who tried to hire you before knowing you were blackballed, as their career is now over too

He's old and established enough that I really doubt anything's gonna happen to him.

There's barely more to say. I had a beef a while ago that led to me filing a complaint because of shady poo poo that was done against my client. It's very much in the past, and I've even worked with this person in the years since with no problem (on opposing sides, of course). But someone up there really didn't like it. The wagons circled and after like six weeks of them arguing about it, the Powers That Be decided I am out.

I'd be really pissed if I needed a job but I have an established client base and more than enough work, so whatever.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sorry some power-thirsty prosecutor had you unpersoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
drat I just watched a CLE that told me I have to either let AI write my first drafts or tell my client that doing so would save an enormous amount of time so the client can direct me to use it or not. Failure to do so could be an ethics violation!