Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I still find it mind blowing that a months built up, surprise-ish Russian attack against a half prepared Ukraine was unable to advance even the 30km required to even enter Kharkiv, let alone take it

More than 'surprise-ish', a lot of Ukraine didn't believe it was coming for a second and the reason why Russia managed to penetrate so deep in the SE is because there were a LOT of traitors who helped them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing people there's only one

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I don't really get the tankie take on this war. Like, how is Russia flavored imperialism any better than NATO flavored imperialism?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Tarquinn posted:

I can only consider one Satan at a time, sorry.

Wouldn't it be nice if we only had to worry about seitan.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

emSparkly posted:

I don't really get the tankie take on this war. Like, how is Russia flavored imperialism any better than NATO flavored imperialism?

Because advocating for genocide based on one is allowed on the forums while advocating for genocide based on the other isn't?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Samovar posted:

Wouldn't it be nice if we only had to worry about seitan.

You give me the flour, i'll do the rest! :colbert:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

emSparkly posted:

Because in their mind with Russian imperialism they get to be the ones who have the gun and the people rooting for the EU/NATO/Ukraine are the ones with the shovel.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

emSparkly posted:

USA bad. That is literally all there is to it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

tiaz posted:

if that was the thing in here a few days ago, they accepted being ushered out of this thread and pointed at d&d gracefully

unrelatedly,

lmao i assure you the abrams was designed to handle fighting in northern europe.

"hahaha blyat they say Abrams can run on acetone but how can it run on acetone if I have drunk it all?!"

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

emSparkly posted:

If Russia wins the perfect communist Soviet Union will rematerialize instantly and defeat America and also my TOTALLY LAME mom and dad who don’t get it!!!!! Can’t wait until my Communist Party shirt with Marx and Engels blowing favors and drinking champagne arrives in the mail, it’s going to be so frigging sweet to wear under my slick Neo trenchcoat. All the other guys and girl who sit next to the soda machines outside the drama room at lunch are going to freaking love it.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1707332249786503425#m
Here we go again......

Toxic Mental posted:

If Russia wins the perfect communist Soviet Union will rematerialize instantly and defeat America and also my TOTALLY LAME mom and dad who don’t get it!!!!! Can’t wait until my Communist Party shirt with Marx and Engels blowing favors and drinking champagne arrives in the mail, it’s going to be so frigging sweet to wear under my slick Neo trenchcoat. All the other guys and girl who sit next to the soda machines outside the drama room at lunch are going to freaking love it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqKe_T3gbVo

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

emSparkly posted:

The imperialism is always greener on the other side.

Toxic Mental posted:

We have imperialism at home! You're making a scene and all of the other spheres of influence are going to think I'm mistreating you!

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

emSparkly posted:

If your starting premise is 'Western imperialism is literally the worst thing ever' then it's an easy take to understand.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

emSparkly posted:

There's a definition of imperialism that basically indicates it's a "world system" rather than an action, this was espoused by Lenin, and it essentially serves as a way of saying "when I do it, it's not imperialism".

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Tankies couldn't give a poo poo about what Russia does. "USA bad" is literally 100% of the thought process

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Panzeh posted:

There's a definition of imperialism that basically indicates it's a "world system" rather than an action, this was espoused by Lenin, and it essentially serves as a way of saying "when I do it, it's not imperialism".

Reverse Imperialism. It's not colonialism when Russia does it.

Seriously how the gently caress can you call yourself a leftist and fall for russian colonialist propaganda post 1997? Good loving lord.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

emSparkly posted:

Because there are layers of bull poo poo that have been drip fed to them by Russian propganada and reinforced by clowns over the years. Then sit around in the various echo chambers on the internet where they regurgitate it which just reinforces it for them.

I'll have a look later for this video I saw about how Russia uses left wing areas for it's propaganda. It boils down to keeping people whipped up about capitalism, events like Iraq and ''expansion'' of NATO in a very subtle way. It's actually a pretty good line of propaganda tbh. Not something you'd expect considering this whole clown show.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Mikojan posted:

Tankies couldn't give a poo poo about what Russia does. "USA bad" is literally 100% of the thought process

It's just so... empty of analysis. You can still hate the US while hating Russia! I do!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66934838

quote:

Russians queue up to see Barbie film despite sanctions

quote:

Russian MP Maria Butina believes the Barbie film goes against Russian values

"I have issues with Barbie as a female form," she tells me. "Some girls - especially in their teens - try to be like a Barbie girl, and they exhaust their bodies."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Billy Eilish Barbie song playing while I sleep with fat american gunchud so that he says "russia good"

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://t.me/vert_i_call/14434
More air defense assistance was just announced by Stoltenberg.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Some quick searching leads me to think the Abrams may just be up to the job.

:google: posted:

"Abrams tanks were 'built to kill' Russian armor"

"The A1 may be old in the sense that it's been in our inventory for quite some time, but it's far superior to anything that the Russians have."

"The tank's powerful gas-turbine engine, which is sometimes compared to a jet engine, can get the 60-ton M1A1 up to 45 miles an hour. Its main gun fires accurately on the move. Its heavy armor gives it protection against anti-tank weapons and tank rounds. And there's an emphasis on crew survivability.

Ammunition, for instance, is stored behind the turret and separated from the crew by blast doors in protected ammo racks. Soviet-designed tanks, on the other hand, store exposed ammunition in the turret, leading to a vulnerability known as the "jack-in-the-box" effect"

"We were never going to produce as many tanks as the Russians. We were just going to produce one that was able to take out multiple Russian tanks and survive the process."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

at this point humvees are built to kill russian armor

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

zone posted:

https://t.me/vert_i_call/14434
More air defense assistance was just announced by Stoltenberg.

From NRK - it doesn't sound super conclusive so far. My translation:

quote:

Stoltenberg in Kyiv - asks for allies to contribute more

This Thursday, general secretary of NATO Jens Stoltenberg met the president of Ukraine to discuss AA capabilities. Stoltenberg praised Ukraine for gradually regaining territory in the war, and added that Russia has been excluded from important international fora and has been "reduced to begging for weapons from regimes like Iran and North Korea".

Stoltenberg called Kyiv a "heart of the free world", and said that Ukraine is closer to NATO than ever.

He also made clear that only Russia can end the war, and they can do that by laying down their weapons.

- That possibility is not open to Ukraine. The Ukrainians are fighting for their future and their freedom. Moscow is fighting for their imperialistic delusions.

In addition, the general secretary emphasised that if peace for Ukraine comes with costs, it does not count as a peace at all. Further, he asked allied countries to step up their support, and to offer "signed contracts".

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

It's one theory why they took so goddamn long.

Mistle posted:

It's more a reference to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_reaction_force

"Anywhere in the world in 18 hours" is doable for a smaller force, and the U.S. can land combined arms within 72 hours. It's not an exaggeration, but a result of the "world police" level of influence, budget, and logistics. But expanding to a full combat presence does take some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWz_C8uNY2g

And the "Alright alright alright" is a reference to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuER2Puym4I

Ooooh thanks for explaining

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Louis XIV didn't have any meaningful internal resistance during his reign.

i know. i meant putin.

Karate Bastard posted:

Sure, the US is Satan, I get that, but there's also Mega Satan, Super Satan, Giga Satan and Hyper Satan to consider.

our national anthem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVgfW6ClFa0

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Blow posted:

Abrams are good. But 32(30?) is going to have to be used very very strategically to be effective and not blown up. This isn't Iraq where 100's were deployed (with poo poo tonnes of logistics) and just overwhelmed Iraqi lines after getting bombed from the air.

The armour might be better than Russian tanks in the sense of the crew survies and the tank can be repaired but it's still -1 tank for months.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Blow posted:

Westoid fool the ammo is supposed to explode inside the vehicle.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Westoid fool the ammo is supposed to explode inside the vehicle.

So do you use like an icepick or a wood saw to break your fishblock into manageable pieces?

There's always the gravity assist technique I suppose.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sedgr posted:

If you have shitsplattering diarrhea for more than three days its known as a special fecal operation or Putin on the blitz.

(may be :nws:)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Our name is legion, for we are many.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
*The names are Mega Satan, Hyper Satan, Special Satan, Double Satan, Extra Satan, Side Satan, Constable Satan, Side Satan With Benefits, Bulk Satan, Discount Satan, ...

kru
Oct 5, 2003

leading to a vulnerability known as the "jack-in-the-box" effect"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gross

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hope she has a good life ahead of her. :comfyoot:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Safe to say China potentially getting involved in the near future has gone out the window lol

Burns
May 10, 2008

Tai posted:

Safe to say China potentially getting involved in the near future has gone out the window lol

How so?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Burns posted:

How so?

Their property market which is nearly 25% of GDP has a high chance of going up in flames which is going to cost a loooooooot of money to bail out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Lol caught this on the radio this morning. people are watching the Barbie movie speakeasy style.