Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yvonmukluk posted:

My one complaint is that we've lost the 'hey Wallace, what's the web address for Amazon.ca?' gag, but it still looks great.

That (and while I accept it as a stylistic choice), the snappy back-and-forth of Edgar Wright's directing will be sorely missed. The dialogue just felt reeeeaaalllllyyy sllllooowwwww.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Tiny Man
Feb 26, 2007

HBO Max has a new series coming up that looks gorgeous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOsZVmVPn4E

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh poo poo that thing? I saw a trailer for it like three years ago, never another word. Awesome

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Angry Tiny Man posted:

Delighted that this is really coming out. I figured Zazlav had killed it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC it was originally announced as a Toonami thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Caught the opening minutes to the new Castlevania: Nocturne last night before I figured I could just wait until tonight to see the proper thing in situ, but I was not vibing with it. Gonna try and go in with more of an open mind, but it's gonna have to completely re-earn my trust given all the changeover behind the scenes (tbh the only reason I watched the original was because of Ellis, which, yeah, sure, I geddit, but he's also just a flat out interesting writer). Unfortunately what I saw was not serving me. Maybe it's just some opening exposition clunk, I dunno. I'll give it another go and try and get past my biases.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Delighted that this is really coming out. I figured Zazlav had killed it.

IIRC Warner Disco has decided that it wants to re-orient back around animation now (after shunting it off to the boonies just last year) so I guess this meant reincorporating this show onto their main platform. Are we getting a second season of Fired Of Mars?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

In a deviation to web series stuff, is anyone here familiar with Joe Cappa’s work? He’s been doing a series with Adult Swim for a bit now and it has the strangest most real and horribly wholesome writing I’ve ever come across.

https://youtu.be/X5AeRLmhUwI?si=GP1FB5hCil1hJ01m

Dad did a heck of a job raising those kids. Also the dead mother appears to be haunting them and steadily gaining power(s). Still wholesome enough to give you cavities but some bad bad poo poo is going to go down eventually.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Angry Tiny Man posted:

Akira X Prometheus? Looks like it will be worth checking out!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Angry Tiny Man posted:

Getting Annihilation vibes from this.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Scavengers Reign looks like purestrain Moebius and I’m beyond excited that it’s actually coming out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Here's the original short that played on Toonami/Adult Swim which inspired the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRzemJbUsw

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

New Scott Pilgrim clip.

https://youtu.be/68OueL-Iv2o?si=29Xyih2RQWkIU4MV

Something feels a bit off compared to the movie. Not sure what, the sound mixing? Soundtrack?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

We're also getting a cartoon adaptation of Lara Croft: The Legend of Tomb Raider: https://youtu.be/cb9AUAZBcOk?si=axVdi_suBqZ6twK5

If you like tombs raided being a pretty joyless affair with odd ideas of what makes a person relatable, there you go.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cqWBOVszYo
Ubisoft x Netflix collab, Captain Laserhawk: A Blood Dragon remix. It has Rayman as a news anchor!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, they’re all some kind of… suicide squad?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
"Captain Laserhawk" sounds like a character I'd come up with when I was 10.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

We're also getting a cartoon adaptation of Lara Croft: The Legend of Tomb Raider: https://youtu.be/cb9AUAZBcOk?si=axVdi_suBqZ6twK5

If you like tombs raided being a pretty joyless affair with odd ideas of what makes a person relatable, there you go.

It’s also apparently a sequel to the recent prequel trilogy of games about Lara’s origins

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Huh, Prime video.

https://youtu.be/rYTVBSeTLUQ?si=QfNpJ5X5g8aiMkBB

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TwoPair posted:

"Captain Laserhawk" sounds like a character I'd come up with when I was 10.

Which is precisely the vibe Blood Dragon is going for.

The game was so ridiculously stupidly fun.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Neeksy posted:

By the way, Krapopolis is up on Hulu with two episodes available now.

It's... eh.

This is very generous imo no clue why anyone bothered making this show. Does Fox think someone needed to try and make an edgier Disenchanted?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Hazbin Hotel has an official start month. January 2024 for season 1, season 2 has already been greenlit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Eh, I liked the first episode a decent amount. Laughed, thought it was smart in a few places and there's a vibe that it'll have an arc of some kind. The second episode was weaker, but I think maybe that was down to the show not realising the limitations of what it can get away with in terms of violence when it was plotting those scenes with the rock football game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Hazbin Hotel has an official start month. January 2024 for season 1, season 2 has already been greenlit.

Speaking of, how's its related series Helluva Boss out of curiosity? I was thinking of finally giving it a look

Also is that one going to be getting a Season 3 eventually or is Hazbin effectively replacing it?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It’s pretty good and some people are into it more than is probably healthy.We also have a thread for it should you be interested.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, how's its related series Helluva Boss out of curiosity? I was thinking of finally giving it a look

Also is that one going to be getting a Season 3 eventually or is Hazbin effectively replacing it?

Helluva is apparently plotted and committed to 5 seasons as a complete work, at least last I heard.

And it’s good! It’s on YouTube right now! I’d say go check it out; I really didn’t give it much thought until I finally just started watching it and became a pretty fast fan. If you watch the pilot I’d probably give it that and the first two episodes to see if it’s your thing, because some characters change a bit from the very earliest stuff (and the initial episodes are all shorter anyhow).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

The two shows take place in the same Hell but I imagine there's going to be very little crossover if any. Like I feel like at most you might see some of the Deadly Sins like Asmodeus or Queen Bee or Mammon show up on the show since they're a bit higher up on Hell's hierarchy, but you'll probably never see Blitzo and his friends, Stolas, Striker, Fizzerolli, etc on Hazbin. Hazbin is probably going to be dealing with the wider aspects of Hell and the relationship with Heaven. Likewise you'll probably never see Charlie or Alastor or Angel Dust or that new angel character or probably even Lucifer show up on Helluva Boss. Helluva Boss is a much more personal story about Blitzo and his relationships, where as I think Hazbin Hotel is going to exploring several different relationships and how Hell/Heaven work. Like the thing where there's an annual purge the angels do to Hell is probably never gonna come up on Helluva Boss.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Larryb posted:

They're the same setting but focusing on different parts of Hell. Helluva Boss is basically just natural hell residents (imps/demonic princes/hellhounds etc) as a work/emotional drama/comedy. The main cast are IMP, a group of well, imps who have an office that humans sent to hell can hire to get revenge on living humans. This is done with a spellbook that the theoretically titular helluva boss has procured from a demon prince of goetia.

Hazbin Hotel is the actual daughter of Lucifer wanting to fix the fact that hell is overpopulated with sinners via performing actual redemption. The titular Hotel is intended to be a resort where sinful humans sent to hell can become better people and ultimately get to go to heaven. In particular the current overpopulation "solution" is annual purge squads of angels with spears that permanently kill souls descending into hell to hunt.

Helluva is going to continue getting youtube episodes and they have plans for a 4-5 season story already laid out, Hazbin has been picked up by a network and getting a more professional(?) production. Hence being on Amazon Prime and produced by A24.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I was planning on watching the show anyway but good to know, thanks

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

lol the frog is assassin's creed. That looks like stupid fun.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
So, final two episodes of Fionna and Cake: What a good ending. I feel like it really wraps everything up not just for the mini-series but for Adventure Time as a whole. The fact that we get some actual closure on Simon's to his relationship with Betty is, I think, the major thing that was missing from the original series' finale. Basically in Come Along with Me he and Betty were only reunited for all of five minutes before she merged with GOLB and it never really felt like we got a chance for Simon to really understand or process why she had to do what she did. Him actually getting to reflect on their relationship and accept the fact that their lives will still go on even if they can't be together makes that plot feel much more like a bittersweet, but satisfying ending rather than a weird, cosmic tragedy.

I also loved Fionna learning to accept and fight for the mundane world she inhabits and the way that things end not with her world being changed into a gender-swapped copy of Ooo, but with some magical elements from other worlds leaking in. Overall just a very cozy, feel good ending.

I'm also amused that the creator diaspora that came off of Adventure Time have all seemed to unanimously agree that giant women are cool

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

So, final two episodes of Fionna and Cake: What a good ending. I feel like it really wraps everything up not just for the mini-series but for Adventure Time as a whole. The fact that we get some actual closure on Simon's to his relationship with Betty is, I think, the major thing that was missing from the original series' finale. Basically in Come Along with Me he and Betty were only reunited for all of five minutes before she merged with GOLB and it never really felt like we got a chance for Simon to really understand or process why she had to do what she did. Him actually getting to reflect on their relationship and accept the fact that their lives will still go on even if they can't be together makes that plot feel much more like a bittersweet, but satisfying ending rather than a weird, cosmic tragedy.

I also loved Fionna learning to accept and fight for the mundane world she inhabits and the way that things end not with her world being changed into a gender-swapped copy of Ooo, but with some magical elements from other worlds leaking in. Overall just a very cozy, feel good ending.

I'm also amused that the creator diaspora that came off of Adventure Time have all seemed to unanimously agree that giant women are cool

Haven’t seen it yet but did it leave any doors open for future continuations should they decide to do so?

Also I assume this leads into Simon being where he’s at in the AT epilogue as I expected?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Now that it's finished I can safely say that Fiona and Cake is the best Adventure Time thing ever made, and that's high praise because Adventure Time has made some pretty amazing stuff.

Scarb and Prismo are fanfiction writing boyfriends now :3: he finally moved on from his crush on Jake, good for him.

Larryb posted:

Haven’t seen it yet but did it leave any doors open for future continuations should they decide to do so?

Oh absolutely, there's still a ton of stories that could be told in the Adventure Time universe if anyone wants to and/or is allowed to.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I would be very eager to watch a full Fionna & Cake show, should it end up getting made.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God Fionna and Cake was so SO good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I hope they keep doing AT stuff in the future every so often (I think I heard the creators said something about wanting to but it’d depend on how successful F&C was overall)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

i am a moron posted:

This is very generous imo no clue why anyone bothered making this show. Does Fox think someone needed to try and make an edgier Disenchanted?

No, they want their own Rick and Morty, that's why it's a Dan Harmon joint

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It has the weirdly wrong thematic feel of Disenchanted to me. I’m also gonna guess ‘Rick and Morty on a broadcast station’ is not something anyone really expected would happen but it is the home of Groenings decent work

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Warbird posted:

It’s pretty good and some people are into it more than is probably healthy.We also have a thread for it should you be interested.

I have to note that while I really enjoy the show, I stopped following the thread a while ago. Some people just seem more interested in the dumb internet drama surrounding the show and its creator than actually discussing the show. :/

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Larryb posted:

I hope they keep doing AT stuff in the future every so often (I think I heard the creators said something about wanting to but it’d depend on how successful F&C was overall)

Oh yeah, from what I've seen from interviews and things staff members have said on social media there are a lot of people who worked on Adventure Time who really want to make more of it, and I would love if we got more miniseries exploring the world and characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I wouldn't say Fionna & Cake is the best Adventure Time stuff. I guess it's kind of the premise anyway, but it just felt like mediocre fan fiction to me. In the first three episodes especially the characters just seemed really nasty. It definitely wasn't bad overall, but I felt like I was only watching it because I like the main series so much.