Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Lone Badger posted:

Gundam's setting is dark as gently caress.

Exactly why I picked it: it's the best fit of a setting I can think of that isn't fantasy, especially if you pick the right universe (particularly good would be Iron Blooded Orphans, the more grounded parts of the UC, or Turn-A if you can handle the curveball), but even a fit that close would still need to jetisson parts of the Souls formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I think a post-apocalyptic sci-fi theme would work great as a souls game setting. The ruined ships and space stations you explore through might be dark and decrepit, but the outside world and weapons and enemies and armor could be crazy vibrant - like laser swords and whips, lightning or flame throwers, power gauntlets, stuff like that. Instead of bows and arrows you can have plasma rifles and ammo. Maybe make guns and ammo kinda rare, or slow, or hard to maintain, to make melee more worthwhile.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Red Rox posted:

I think a post-apocalyptic sci-fi theme would work great as a souls game setting. The ruined ships and space stations you explore through might be dark and decrepit, but the outside world and weapons and enemies and armor could be crazy vibrant - like laser swords and whips, lightning or flame throwers, power gauntlets, stuff like that. Instead of bows and arrows you can have plasma rifles and ammo. Maybe make guns and ammo kinda rare, or slow, or hard to maintain, to make melee more worthwhile.

Have you tried Surge?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It was a pretty good soda.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cleretic posted:

It's hard to describe it, but I feel like a lot of the core elements of Souls games that really work feel most at home in a darker tone and more decrepit setting. This is a genre built around punishing mistakes, limited resources, very deliberate melee combat, and fairly spartan storytelling;
Is punch out a souls like

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

What's the bird? A summon? I don't think I ever got that one.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah! In Liurnia you can go back to where the game began and beat the Grafted Scion. Afterwards you can pick up the spirit ashes on a building in the same area.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
the surge sounds fun is it good?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

It busted my balls harder than any Soulsborne ever has so probably. I’d rather square up with Malenia, Blade of Miquilla than the penultimate boxer (Super Macho Man), I don’t care how easy SummoningSalt makes it look.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

More or less. There's no ranged option other than a small laser to pull a single enemy away from the group, but the dismemberment and armor-collecting aspect is pretty interesting!

The level design is not that great. I hope you like industrial hallways.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nuebot posted:

I just wish more soulslike games would try different things with their aesthetics. We had at least one space game, even if it was a dark and depressing space game. How about a cool bright future souls game? Or like, rad cartoony magical souls game. The cool gameplay can fit anything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbkklymvEcE

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

It would be if you could assemble a bunch of cryptic item descriptions to learn that the world was a giant ear that needs to be bitten off.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Now that the servers seem to be sorted out the main thing dragging Payday 3 down for me is that I have to hit level 50 to get a proper suit for chains.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This is the game that really got me following a bunch of small indie devs on Twitter, the development updates they post were very good and I can't wait for it to come out :allears:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

No. the level design is indistinct and easy to get lost in, the camera is dire, weapons are miserable to use with inconsistent combos and movement where you’re initially more fast and agile than any dark souls character but starting an attack animation roots you for longer than swings in the slowest souls game. it’s the only game where I’ve constantly swapped weapons not because I want to try different playstyles but because I’m desperately trying to find the weapon that feels the least bad.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Counterpoint to officer owl over there, it's pretty good but not terribly polished. The whole limb removal system makes equipment way more interesting to find and every time you find a new enemy you'll wonder if you can pull something new from them. The map design does suck poo poo though, wowzers a lot of uninteresting, samey corridors that are absolutely abysmal to get lost in.

The second one is a lot better though it introduces equipment set bonuses which makes mixing and matching your gear a lot less viable.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Cheers Far Cry 6, I'd love to wait 30 seconds while yet another guerilla with a ! over their head slowly explains that there's another checkpoint or something that I should go and sort out before it eventually registers on my map.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The surge is a good game held back by a few things. Weapon proficiency sucked.

The industrial hallway thing didn't bother me so much as navigation but it made certain bits of combat not great. Once you get the timing of swings down in a combo you can figure out which type of swing to chain together.

Overall it's worth playing, the DLC theme park is a lot of fun.

Things dragging a game down:
Dave the diver keeps tacking new mechanics on. I don't mind getting the farm but having to manually plant and water and weed etc when the dude is sitting right there is annoying. Some more automation for that would be nice, especially because you have to go in each time slot

Being able to choose which fish go into your spawning tanks would be nice too so the player wouldn't have to manually go in each day to get rid of unwanted ones

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Surge 2 is much better and has an immensely satisfying parry system.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I did not know this existed and now need this in my life.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Exactly why I picked it: it's the best fit of a setting I can think of that isn't fantasy, especially if you pick the right universe (particularly good would be Iron Blooded Orphans, the more grounded parts of the UC, or Turn-A if you can handle the curveball), but even a fit that close would still need to jetisson parts of the Souls formula.

I understand you're talking about a specific vibe but I genuinely don't see how any of this would be a bad thing. All you've done is made me think of a Gundam game that uses Soulslike as a mechanical foundation to iterate off of and it sounds rad as gently caress.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My dream is still Dark Souls with robots/mechs.

Morpheus posted:

The second one is a lot better though it introduces equipment set bonuses which makes mixing and matching your gear a lot less viable.

It's actually an improvement from the first game where armor sets had bonuses but you needed to be wearing every piece. Whereas in 2 if I'm remembering right every set now has two tiers of bonuses and there's some items that count towards any set. (And I think 1's cowboy DLC items work the same way in the latter case.)

Edit: Germane to the complaint about animation timings, one of the easiest and likely first sets you assemble gives an attack speed bonus. Which was probably a bad design decision.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Sep 29, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

John Murdoch posted:

My dream is still Dark Souls with robots/mechs.

Impossible. Robots don't have souls

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

kazil posted:

Impossible. Robots don't have souls

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Spark :colbert:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mind the walrus posted:

I understand you're talking about a specific vibe but I genuinely don't see how any of this would be a bad thing. All you've done is made me think of a Gundam game that uses Soulslike as a mechanical foundation to iterate off of and it sounds rad as gently caress.

If you slapped the Transformers Devastation graphics onto Armored Core 6 I feel like it'd be most of the way there.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

does the Vatican know about this???

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, I'm also not saying it's a bad thing. I'm playing Armored Core 6 right now, and while that's hardly 'mecha Soulslike' (and like I said, probably wouldn't suit Gundam as well as a base) it certainly shows that there's merit to installments in the genre having higher speed or with more aerial combat, whicha re both things a Gundam game would want.

I'm basically just saying that the reason almost every Soulslike is 'dark fantasy' is because that core Souls formula that everyone's ripping off is best suited to dark fantasy. Fitting that into another setting or aesthetic would make parts of that formula fit poorly. You could make a 'Gundam Soulslike', but if it were just 'Dark Souls With Mecha' it wouldn't feel right.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

Surge 2 is much better and has an immensely satisfying parry system.

Seconded. The first Surge was an okay experiment, but The Surge 2 is my favorite non-From soulslike. The directional parry system sets it apart from the rest of the pack.

Asterigos has questionable design decisions, but it's a solid B grade game if you want something more colorful and cartoonish.

For content, I'm playing MK11 after getting it cheap on sale, having not played any MK game since 3. There are at least 3 in game currencies and you need to use one of them to buy alternate fatalities in lootboxes.

I'm all for unlockable content, but this kind of poo poo just saps my will to play it.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Nuebot posted:

I just wish more soulslike games would try different things with their aesthetics. We had at least one space game, even if it was a dark and depressing space game. How about a cool bright future souls game? Or like, rad cartoony magical souls game. The cool gameplay can fit anything!

There needs to be a soulslike that's the equivalent of the Diablo 3 rainbow world. Call it Sparkling Rainbow Adventure and make it the most cloyingly cute thing ever.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Phigs posted:

There needs to be a soulslike that's the equivalent of the Diablo 3 rainbow world. Call it Sparkling Rainbow Adventure and make it the most cloyingly cute thing ever.

En Garde, but cripplingly difficult then?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Breetai posted:

En Garde, but cripplingly difficult then?

Not enough sparkling ponies and laughing rainbows.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OutOfPrint posted:

Seconded. The first Surge was an okay experiment, but The Surge 2 is my favorite non-From soulslike. The directional parry system sets it apart from the rest of the pack.

Asterigos has questionable design decisions, but it's a solid B grade game if you want something more colorful and cartoonish.

For content, I'm playing MK11 after getting it cheap on sale, having not played any MK game since 3. There are at least 3 in game currencies and you need to use one of them to buy alternate fatalities in lootboxes.

I'm all for unlockable content, but this kind of poo poo just saps my will to play it.

My problem with the directional parries is that it felt like half the attack animations were too wavy and noisy for you to be able to accurately read which direction you needed to parry in. So I ended up relying on the HUD plugin to show me which direction to parry in, which uses up precious equipment slots, and makes me feel like i'm playing a David Cage game instead of being a badass murdering cyborg murdering cyborgs.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My problem with the directional parries is that it felt like half the attack animations were too wavy and noisy for you to be able to accurately read which direction you needed to parry in. So I ended up relying on the HUD plugin to show me which direction to parry in, which uses up precious equipment slots, and makes me feel like i'm playing a David Cage game instead of being a badass murdering cyborg murdering cyborgs.

I understand that. I loved it, but can get why others wouldn't.

Back to MK11, the cutscenes make me want a Koei/Tecmo style Outworld Warriors game. Keep the same story, why not. Fatalities on officers, chaos on the battlefield, that'd be fun as hell.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
So there's this bug in Cyberpunk2077 that makes the visual glitching that you sometimes have for a few seconds because of bad shrimp/tech stay on the screen forever if you choose a certain dialogue option. The cure is to reload a save before the dialogue. But I mistook the bug for gravitas and played the game 2 hours with the glitch

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Icochet posted:

So there's this bug in Cyberpunk2077 that makes the visual glitching that you sometimes have for a few seconds because of bad shrimp/tech stay on the screen forever if you choose a certain dialogue option. The cure is to reload a save before the dialogue. But I mistook the bug for gravitas and played the game 2 hours with the glitch

Well, that's better than a bug from before where the 'drunk' effect would stay on your screen permanently, and would even permeate to previous saves if you attempted to load them.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Morpheus posted:

Well, that's better than a bug from before where the 'drunk' effect would stay on your screen permanently, and would even permeate to previous saves if you attempted to load them.

I just imagined someone trying to play through GTA IV with the drunk effect permanently turned on. :stare:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Read After Burning posted:

I just imagined someone trying to play through GTA IV with the drunk effect permanently turned on. :stare:

YELLOW CAR

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I'm powering through it. I've come to love the glitch. I see it irl

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Starfield: There's a Vanguard quest where you have to find a guy on Mars. I go to Mars and a dude at the bar tells me he's in hiding, but will tell me where he is if I clear out an abandoned mine full of spacers. Fair enough. I return to the dude and he gives me a key for a door in the SAME EXACT MINE I just killed my way through. So I had to spend a few minutes wandering through that mine, except now there's nothing to do but go to the very furthest end of it just to have the guy I tried to find in the first place tell me to meet at the same bar I just left. Then all they do is tell me to go to New Atlantis. I just feel we could've skipped a few steps here.

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 05:18 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Okay Lies of P has introduced a real bullshit boss that no longer plays by the established rules of the game.

He's a big wrestly Bane-type guy, who charges around really fast and throws out kicks and shoudler bashes. okay, i can deal with that. But some of his attacks are able to stagger you out of a block even with full stamina, which no other enemy in the game can do. So now I have to completely unlearn the mechanics.

The way staggering works in Lies is that when you do enough heavy attacks, the enemies health bar goes all white and shakey. Hit them with a single charged heavy attack and you'll knock them down and can pull of a visceral attack. There's even a nice glowy red spot on the ground for where you need to stand.

Except this guy. I get the white indicator, hit him with the charged heavy and run up into his face ready to visceral. But he doesn't fall over immediately, he flails around wildly and murders me, before collapsing onto the ground ready for a visceral attack just as my game over screen fades in. Fucks sake game, you can't change the rules like this.