Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting

YeahTubaMike posted:

Is anyone in this thread going through perimenopause? If so, when did it start?

I’m way behind in this thread but this is me right now and it’s awful.

I’ve been so lucky in my life to have been really healthy up to this point and now every day I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck. I just went for my yearly checkup yesterday and burst into tears in the office :( I never cry in front of people so this is way out of control for me.

Getting put on some hormones so hopefully that helps.

I’ve been feeling lovely for about 6 months or so, hot and cold, can’t sleep, depressed and emotional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
gently caress that's rough :(

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My referral to plead my case for a hysterectomy went through, my appointment is in early October. I'm terrified they'll think they know what's better for me than I do though. I'm going to need to practice my points like I'm going into a debate tournament.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I just started the pill 3 days ago and I am having a Bad Time. Do mood swing side effects go away after a while?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I just started the pill 3 days ago and I am having a Bad Time. Do mood swing side effects go away after a while?

I think it might be different for everyone but I stopped taking the pill years ago specifically because all of them gave me unbearable mood swings.

The only one that didn’t got discontinued for murdering people with blood clots :(

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

CherryCola posted:

I think it might be different for everyone but I stopped taking the pill years ago specifically because all of them gave me unbearable mood swings.

The only one that didn’t got discontinued for murdering people with blood clots :(

I am taking them specifically to regulate my moods. And I also stopped the IUD cause they made me sad, but this is what the doctor prescribed me for pmdd.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

That's just Maine.

Cold and wet

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
One of my coworkers just made the statement that she wasn't going to come to work when "it feels like the entire world is falling out of my vagina." I appreciate both the wording and sentiment

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I just realized I haven't had a period since June.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I am taking them specifically to regulate my moods. And I also stopped the IUD cause they made me sad, but this is what the doctor prescribed me for pmdd.
Can you try a different formulation or brand? The first BC I tried gave me such horrible nausea I couldn't bear to try a second pill -- I think it was Marlissa, but it's been a long time -- but the second, Seasonique, was like it was made for me. I've since been shuffled onto generics (Ashlyna and currently Daysee) and honestly, they're just as good.

I hope you find something that works :ohdear:

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Ayin posted:

Can you try a different formulation or brand? The first BC I tried gave me such horrible nausea I couldn't bear to try a second pill -- I think it was Marlissa, but it's been a long time -- but the second, Seasonique, was like it was made for me. I've since been shuffled onto generics (Ashlyna and currently Daysee) and honestly, they're just as good.

I stfg brand name birth control is all stripper names

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Uuuuuugh I'm worried about my upcoming appointment. I had a phone consult and explained I wanted a hysterectomy because I have insane periods plus zero desire for pregnancy, and she was already dragging her feet saying "we usually do ablation for period problems". Okay, and what about the sterilization part? Seriously, just yank all the bits out so it's over and done with right from the start. I don't need poo poo dragged out over time.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe
You know I've bitched about having a uterus, that I never really wanted one, and I guess I was finally loud enough. The monkey's paw heard me, and the finger has curled. Guess who had a sus pap and gets to have endometrial biopsies today!!!!

Thank god weed is legal here and comes in tasty drink form. The doctor was at least straight up with me: "It will hurt like the IUD insertion but 4 or 5 times when I take the biopsies. Also we're going to have to probably remove your IUD and put a new one in." Thankfully I don't have to pay for that.

Anyone else here get endometrial biopsies? How laid out am I going to be? I start a new job Monday, because timing has been my life's greatest joke.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe
Apologies for the double post, but I come bearing a trip report.

The pinch for each biopsy is about what it feels like for them to insert an IUD. I pregamed with ibuprofen, T1, and CBD, so ymmv if you go in unmedicated. There's bleeding but I picked up pads and am reminded why I hate them.

Join me next month for the exciting tale of Pyrtanis gets a colposcopy!

:suicide:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Pyrtanis posted:

Join me next month for the exciting tale of Pyrtanis gets a colposcopy!

:suicide:

Sing, O muse, of the rage of Pyrtanis, daughter of Hera, that brought countless ills upon the Achaeans.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Okay just another day in paradise over here.

Taking out my menstrual cup when my 3 year old jumps out of the shadows and startles me so I drop it, spilling a full cup of blood into my underwear. Then I stand up in shock and the cup falls into the toilet.

It’s boiling away on the stove top now and I have fresh undies on so meh could be worse I guess.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Got caught off guard at work and used a tampon for the first time in years...just ok, I got my cup in as soon as possible. Something about having to be mindful of the stupid little string.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I always just tuck the string in, can’t figure out why everyone else doesn’t. It always seems to get all involved with my urethra if not.

The only downside is that obviously you have to take the string out, but it’s like a centimeter inside, and it’s not like you’re not gonna wash your hands already

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
I was a pad girl because my mom was adamant that no daughter of hers would be shoving things up her vagina. Anyway, I had no clue about how to use tampons so of course I started my period at a bar at 1am and my friend only had tampons. The night ended with her laughing hysterically outside of the bathroom stall while trying to explain to slightly drunk me how to work the thing.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Ayin posted:

I'm on generics now. It's the combo pill and after the first week everything seems to be okay? The PMDD is not showing up now when it usually does, so fingers crossed I had a bad adjustment period and now I'm sitting pretty.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bookish posted:

I was a pad girl because my mom was adamant that no daughter of hers would be shoving things up her vagina. Anyway, I had no clue about how to use tampons so of course I started my period at a bar at 1am and my friend only had tampons. The night ended with her laughing hysterically outside of the bathroom stall while trying to explain to slightly drunk me how to work the thing.

if it helps, i still have no idea how to use one. it's not like they teach you that in sex ed.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

... They don't? We got taught that in Grade 5.

They didn't cover menstrual cups tho had to figure that one out myself

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Killingyouguy! posted:

... They don't? We got taught that in Grade 5.

They didn't cover menstrual cups tho had to figure that one out myself

Our 5th grade "bodies are changing" just explained we would bleed but not how to deal with it.

Our male teacher awkwardly said "mrs miller across the hall has things to deal with that if you start bleeding during the school day. Just ask me to see her"

My mom just gave me a pad when i started.

Southern public elementary school

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've been having hot flushes and anxiety waves and thought maybe my thyroid was acting up again but now I have a different theory. Last period was 2 days early and I didn't think much of it. It's been clockwork every 4 weeks ever since implanon years ago, even after it wore out. So a little late or early didn't seem to matter because the next one was still regular. Well this period is 3 days early from if I counted the usual time from the previous early one, so it's accelerated twice in a row. I don't know anything about menopause but could this be it starting? I'm mid forties.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Perimenopause can gently caress with you for a long time before actual menopause starts. 45 is a pretty normal time for that to start

Cowslips Warren posted:

if it helps, i still have no idea how to use one. it's not like they teach you that in sex ed.
Put tampon in vagina. You can’t really gently caress it up as long as you take off the wrapper and don’t, like, insert it perpendicular.

They always include instructions in the box anyway, along with dire warnings about TSS

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'm 33 and I feel all the pain now. I used to have regular periods, no pain, no pressure.

Now it's spotting some days, bleeding like a stuck pig the next for over a week.

I'm hot and cold all at the same time. I look like a maniac trying to get my homeostasis together. Do I need to bring a hoodie, no that's too hot. Maybe a Tshirt. Nope, too cold.

Doctor said I'm all clear and might be going through early menopause.

That makes sense, I've had 2 kids.

Getting ready to just be a grumpy old bitch.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Treecko posted:

I'm 33 and I feel all the pain now. I used to have regular periods, no pain, no pressure.

Now it's spotting some days, bleeding like a stuck pig the next for over a week.

I'm hot and cold all at the same time. I look like a maniac trying to get my homeostasis together. Do I need to bring a hoodie, no that's too hot. Maybe a Tshirt. Nope, too cold.

That's pretty early for early menopause. How long ago did you have your last kid and/or stop breastfeeding? My period changed a lot once I stopped breastfeeding.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Anne Whateley posted:

Perimenopause can gently caress with you for a long time before actual menopause starts. 45 is a pretty normal time for that to start

Put tampon in vagina. You can’t really gently caress it up as long as you take off the wrapper and don’t, like, insert it perpendicular.

They always include instructions in the box anyway, along with dire warnings about TSS

The confusing part is the ones with applicators. Which is also why back when I did use tampons I just used the OB applicator less ones.

But cups are about a million times better feeling. Shoving tampons up there always felt like sand papering my insides.

Re: Menopause. Im going to have to have my ovaries and tubes taken out due to a bad gene that causes vicious ovarian cancer post menopause and the timeline my doctor gave me was right when I hit 45 because apparently that's the most common age for your hormones to start loving around anyway.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'm sad and put on a little weight and my tiddy hurts? Surely I have cancer and I'm dying and it's definitely not the poo poo that happens every month

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Ralph Crammed In posted:

That's pretty early for early menopause. How long ago did you have your last kid and/or stop breastfeeding? My period changed a lot once I stopped breastfeeding.

She's 4 now.

I also got shingles when I was 16 and doctors said 'huh, that usually doesn't happen until you're older...'

I may just be a genetic anomaly

Treecko fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 27, 2023

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

femcastra posted:

Okay just another day in paradise over here.

Taking out my menstrual cup when my 3 year old jumps out of the shadows and startles me so I drop it, spilling a full cup of blood into my underwear. Then I stand up in shock and the cup falls into the toilet.

It’s boiling away on the stove top now and I have fresh undies on so meh could be worse I guess.

Treecko posted:

*adds two tallies to "reasons not to have children" tally board*

Bookish posted:

First of all, :lol: . Second of all, I was a pad girl because my mom only used pads so it just didn't occur to me to use anything else.

Then one of my friends in high school told me that her cramps got better when she started using tampons instead of pads, so I was stoked about trying. Then I found out -- the hard way -- that I could bleed through a regular absorbency tampon in like seven minutes. Eventually I learned that there were other, heavier absorbencies, and so I settled in to super-plus territory. I am very, very thankful that my mom bought me tampons when I asked for them, because learning how not to leak as a fully grown adult would have been madness.

Fwiw, my cramps DID get better when I started using tampons, but I think it was a placebo effect because they pretty much immediately got worse again. Whatever, weed and Excedrin are good enough.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I got a copper iud a few weeks ago and owwwwww :( make up your mind body, has my period finished or not? why are you still cramping?!
thank god I work from home. the mornings this week have been a write-off while I wait for the painkillers to work. and this heat pad is making the rest of me sweaty ffs

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Treecko posted:

She's 4 now.

I also got shingles when I was 16 and doctors said 'huh, that usually doesn't happen until you're older...'

I may just be a genetic anomaly

Whoa, exact same here, my son is 4 and I also had shingles in high school.

Are you on birth control?

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I got shingles back in 2020; I was 33 and it was on my first day in college :smith:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Whoa, exact same here, my son is 4 and I also had shingles in high school.

Are you on birth control?

I used nexplanon after my daughter's birth, but it's been taken out for over a year.

My cycle just really never went back to normal, I don't know if the extra hormones hosed me up or if it's just how I am.

Condoms are OK, but they smell so bad it ruins the mood when we use them. They smell like burning rubber to me.

I just want to have sex with my husband, my body blows. If it's early menopause, I'll take it, no worries about getting pregnant again.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Treecko posted:

I used nexplanon after my daughter's birth, but it's been taken out for over a year.

My cycle just really never went back to normal, I don't know if the extra hormones hosed me up or if it's just how I am.

Condoms are OK, but they smell so bad it ruins the mood when we use them. They smell like burning rubber to me.

I just want to have sex with my husband, my body blows. If it's early menopause, I'll take it, no worries about getting pregnant again.

Tell him to get a vasectomy. :)

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Sirotan posted:

Tell him to get a vasectomy. :)

He's looking into it! He doesn't mind getting one, we've talked about it. Just gotta find the right time, between work and kids, he'll need a bit of recovery time.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Me scoffing at Clue's little cloud icons telling me today's got a chance of PMS showers.

Me being caught off guard by a crying spell several hours later. Fucker.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

When you're sick and menstruating at the same time. Every cough, every sneeze, every honk into a tissue. I feel like a broken ketchup dispenser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhl'apn
Had a migraine take me out of commission for an entire day this week. Migraines aren't super common in my family, so I was looking into it and apparently the type I had (cluster+one eye) could be a pre-ovulation migraine? Check the calendar aaand... period is a week late, but all the other egg drop signs have shown up since.

I'm 34, what the fresh hell is this? Now I get to suffer as far out from shark week as possible, too?! I've also been having extra heavy, hellish weeks that are completely over in 2 days for almost a year now, I can't decide if that's a good thing or not. :T