Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

lol I think I started listening to Chapo because I ran out of "Keeping It 1600" episodes and wanted more politics podcasts.

woooooooo boy that feels like forever ago

Whenever I see that title I remember they didn't get it was a play on "keeping it 100" when it was suggested to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I saw that NYMag article about Brace in 2017 and I think that's how I stumbled on the boys.

Don't have time to listen to the Patreon episodes anymore but Cushvlogs are very good.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
A thread on here had someone talking about CTH when they first started and I tried to listen because they talk about my favorite topic: lovely op-ed writers, but the audio was so bad I gave up till a couple weeks later.

Last night Will did an AMA and his response made me want to dig up the old episode where they talk about this for like 30 minutes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My evangelical Christian bartender roommate with often confusing politics heard about the show through work and recommended it to me after the 2016 election. I never actually listened to We’re in the Zone Now because it had been a couple of months. First one I remember listening to is whichever episode had Ezekiel Kweku, because he was my favorite Twitter follow at the time.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Famethrowa posted:

I started listening after episode 11 or so after hearing my favorite political journalist Matt Taibi showed up....lol well,

Replace "political journalist Matt Taibi" with "comedian David Cross" and that's me.

That was an... interesting starting point.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Here's something light and fun :)

Biden's dogs are still at it

“What a joke. If it wasn’t [the Bidens’] dog he would already have been put down. Freaking clown needs a muzzle.”

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
https://x.com/cushbomb/status/479335306555318273?s=20

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I first heard Chapo as guests on Michael Moore's Rumble podcast in early 2020 and I was like oh poo poo these guys have way more interesting things to say.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Chakan posted:

A thread on here had someone talking about CTH when they first started and I tried to listen because they talk about my favorite topic: lovely op-ed writers, but the audio was so bad I gave up till a couple weeks later.

Last night Will did an AMA and his response made me want to dig up the old episode where they talk about this for like 30 minutes.

Let me know if you find it because I want to know about these burgers. That’s a hilariously low review score.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i looked it up and it closed quite awhile ago

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

space uncle posted:

Let me know if you find it because I want to know about these burgers. That’s a hilariously low review score.

I will, I can’t remember for sure but I think they were in DC for a live show so it shouldn’t be too hard once I’m home.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

space uncle posted:

Yeah, that's incredible. I sometimes look up places I've been to that objectively suck rear end, really gross food, and they're somehow never below 3.0.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I heard about boss burger originally from my brother, who lived in dc when it replaced another burger joint in the same place. by all accounts boss burger sucked, mostly because of expensive mediocre food and really bad service, but the old place was apparently very good and universally beloved so it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the really low reviews are at least partially motivated by that

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I got into Chapo in '16 during my divorce because I kept seeing bits on YouTube of them dunking on Jordan Peterson. Despite being incredibly miserable during that period, have nothing but fond memories of them making GBS threads on Ben Shapiro's book while I played breath of the wild in an empty apartment.

Yestermoment fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 27, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Found a playlist of "all" of Matt's appearance on other podcasts:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLANRLbUQsJM5qENuA_gLyn-KCTeeE1KsR

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Breadallelogram posted:

pretty sure the first episode I listened to was "We Live in the Zone Now" right after the election, after seeing them mentioned frequently in bernie threads here

love those guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGbrJCS_kcE

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think the first pod of theirs I listened to was when they went to (I think) the 2016 RNC? It was one of the conventions. The reports from later conventions (especially CPAC) were always gold.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I was a Street Fight listener and followed the boys on Twitter and after their episode on SF was immediately down when they announced their own podcast. Signed up for the Patreon as soon as that was going.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The first episode I listened to was their post-2016 election episode. It was so loving cathartic to hear people be mad at Hillary for loving up. They articulated all the stuff I’d been feeling but wasn’t able to express.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Found a playlist of "all" of Matt's appearance on other podcasts:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLANRLbUQsJM5qENuA_gLyn-KCTeeE1KsR

Remember Shuffle has a lot of good stuff.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

selec posted:

I was a Street Fight listener and followed the boys on Twitter and after their episode on SF was immediately down when they announced their own podcast. Signed up for the Patreon as soon as that was going.

i used to listen to the street fight call-in shows and remember that forums poster ace of baes was a caller. check out this post history lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=results&qid=1695854102

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

My first episode included a 5-minute Gorka cold open and I kept checking to make sure I was playing the right podcast

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I was introduced by someone on the forums posting the hot couch clip

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I think I might've listened to the odd ep or two of the show in 2016, like the No Future ep for example, but either ep 88 with Derek Davison or live ep 100 was my first fully interested listen. 116 Jezz In My Pants was the first time I can take note that I was listening to the show on a weekly basis. Never listened to podcasts at all before 2017 so it's all Matt's fault, now I listen to like a dozen podcasts on a regular basis.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1707216444298006901

Mike talking about Mother

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I disliked chapo without listening because "they call people slurs but they have good politics so it's okay???!" and then someone posted gorkas 1 and 2

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
GOOOOOORKHAAAAAAAA

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

slurs are funny :D

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gripweed posted:

The first episode I listened to was their post-2016 election episode. It was so loving cathartic to hear people be mad at Hillary for loving up. They articulated all the stuff I’d been feeling but wasn’t able to express.

i remember All Of The Smart People in d&d recommending to steer clear of chapo because of how “dangerous” it was in the lead up to the 2016 election

all of them immediately changed to a new set of lies to uphold as the truth after clinton ate poo poo despite spending the previous 12+ months ranting and raving about nonsense like blue texas

my first ep was also the first one after the election, and it was the proverbial hot knife through the mountain of bullshit the libs had constructed

E: my memory is bad, but i do remember coming to it after the election nonetheless

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I came to Chapo from that other podcast.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
“I may not beee Dale Earnhardt, but I smashed into the loving wall because I couldn’t turn left!”

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I first heard about the show in the Bernie thread, and one of the clips I could find on youtube was them breaking down how the Hamilton play was actually kind of poo poo.

The reason I subbed though was to get the Call of Cthulhu episodes behind the paywall

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

“I may not beee Dale Earnhardt, but I smashed into the loving wall because I couldn’t turn left!”

Brutal lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

At this point I find the outpouring of hatred for Chapo more nostalgic than anything. Complete nobodies I haven't thought about in years, who aren't known for anything but being annoying on Twitter, coming out of the woodwork to once again blame a podcast called Chapo Trap House for Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 US presidential election. It's surreal.

Lol for loving real. And all these losers only have is a dying (or dead already) twitter.

I met Matt and the rest of the chapo guys at an event here for sxsw and they were so chill and personable. But also looked really happy to be there and hang with patreon fans and what not. It was super nice. Matt had the biggest smile on his face the entire time and especially when you said thank you to him or said hi.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

I disliked chapo without listening because "they call people slurs but they have good politics so it's okay???!" and then someone posted gorkas 1 and 2

The woke mob made them get shamed too much so now they can't. Hope you're happy man.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I went back and listened to We Live in the Zone Now but honestly the episode after that one felt equally impactful for dissecting the situation

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think my first Chapo ep was when Stavvy was a guest and they were talking about Madison Cawthorn.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The woke mob made them get shamed too much so now they can't. Hope you're happy man.

This makes me remember an irate Matt stopping himself once from saying retarded, and instead said mid word corrected himself to say "brain damaged"

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Mr. Lobe posted:

This makes me remember an irate Matt stopping himself once from saying retarded, and instead said mid word corrected himself to say "brain damaged"

I remember this it was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
I went to a 2016 election “watch party,” and as everyone started to flip out, one dude on the couch kept quietly pounding pint glasses of whisky and muttering about how the grey wolves were right.

Entered The Zone the next day.