Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I saw the first few minis and thought, “wow, this is an interesting style what’s wrong with this KS other than the price?”

“Oh, 30 variations of titty minis after that.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Ok I'm not crazy. I started to wonder if they were repeating images after a while because it was so many titty monsters.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Wonder if people realize there are Patreons that make minis you can print and paint instead of paying out the nose for a bad board game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Invalid Validation posted:

Wonder if people realize there are Patreons that make minis you can print and paint instead of paying out the nose for a bad board game.

Wonder if people realize not everyone has a 3D printer.

Not to defend gratuitous minis badly disguised as bad board games or anything, but the comment is a bit out of touch.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Can't speak about the other two, but X-havens are kind of the opposite of the super bloated KS the guy from NPI was complaining about. They are massive boxes, yeah, but they are so dense with actual game that, if Isaac was Fantasy Flight (or almost any other developer, really), those boxes would have been split in a core and like 10+ expansions.

EDIT: to the point that it kind of spoiled me when it comes to big budget/boxes crowfunded games, if you count price in "I could get X Gloomhavens for that amount".

This is the recommended transport solution for the ALL IN Oathsworn

1x core + 2x boxes of minis to replace standees + 1x terrain box + 1x box of accessories for the player figures + 1x thank you for your support box (decorative mini not used in the game at all).
Missing the additional stuff their 2nd round of funding had though.

Only the core + minis for me, still thinking about getting a Honda Acty or something if I need to haul these around to other people for gaming.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There are services that you can pay to print stls and a resin printer is a lot cheaper than a 900 dollar Kickstarter.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Molrok posted:

This is the recommended transport solution for the ALL IN Oathsworn

Do you have to change your name to Ashriel?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Molrok posted:

Only the core + minis for me, still thinking about getting a Honda Acty or something if I need to haul these around to other people for gaming.

You can look up which miniature box(es) you need from the two big boxes for each scenario and only take those alongside the core box.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

gschmidl posted:

You can look up which miniature box(es) you need from the two big boxes for each scenario and only take those alongside the core box.

But my gains!

Also noticed a pattern in that all the games I've backed and waiting for delivery are 2nd prints so less of a horror show for actually them manifesting at my door. Hopefully.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Less than 48 hours left of the FIST Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frogappreciator/fist-paranormal-mercenary-rpg-box-set/

edit: the core rules are free on Itch while the KS campaign is going: https://claymorerpgs.itch.io/fist

whydirt fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 28, 2023

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Zurai posted:

Not to defend gratuitous minis badly disguised as bad board games or anything, but the comment is a bit out of touch.

A decent resin printer is literally the same price as the lowest tier of this kickstarter. Admittedly that’s not what everyone wants to do but like… I bet you can find someone locally who has one and will print poo poo for you in exchange for you painting some stuff for them or similar. 3D printers aren’t exactly high dollar or particularly rare anymore.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Can't speak about the other two, but X-havens are kind of the opposite of the super bloated KS the guy from NPI was complaining about. They are massive boxes, yeah, but they are so dense with actual game that, if Isaac was Fantasy Flight (or almost any other developer, really), those boxes would have been split in a core and like 10+ expansions.

EDIT: to the point that it kind of spoiled me when it comes to big budget/boxes crowfunded games, if you count price in "I could get X Gloomhavens for that amount".

Isofarian Guard is also extremely stuffed (and was underpriced like Gloomhaven was in the original crowdfunding - I think the price was like...$70? It's now going for closer to $200 and for good reason.). And I didn't include Oathsworn because they have offered a standee-only option that means the single giant box you get if you go that route (I did) is all meat, no fluff.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I really dig the style of FIST. I was tempted to jump on one of the boxes but money is tight and the post to Australia is just stupid, but I can live with pdfs.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I will say as someone who is minimum 40 hours into Oathsworn, Aeon Trespass and Midarra, there is a lot of game in there despite the minis. I’ve reviewed them and I’d consider all three good games.

Oathsworn in particular is giant and over the top, but the mystery box nature of the minis makes the next boss fight exciting, particularly if you haven’t managed to figure out what you are hunting yet and it just plops out of a giant box.

Aeon Trespass also does a couple of fun things with the minis, getting a new titan is always fun and an accompanying new mini is cool, the giant primordial help sell the scale of the threat and really most of the box is the game.

There are definitely kickstarters where the minis are the selling point, but there are tons of games where they are an enhancement to the game. Also, giant mini games that would never work in a retail store is an actual point for crowdfunding.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Zurai posted:

How many people are there who buy $500 mini Kickstarters and can't get a 3D printer?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

CitizenKeen posted:

How many people are there who buy $500 mini Kickstarters and can't get a 3D printer?

For me its not a cost issue. 3d printing is a hobby in itself. I also don't want to deal with the space and ventilation issues. Or deal with any degree of chemical exposure. I'm sure 3d printer fans and hobbyists will have an answer to any reason to not do it, but that's fine. I just don't want to deal with any of it. So I'll do reaper and board game Kickstarters.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

CitizenKeen posted:

Not to Kramer in here, I usually just lurk, but there are lots of reasons to not get a 3d printer. Small children, inquisitive pets, respiratory issues, and no good space to put it are all good reasons. I have one and haven't set it up because putting it in my runs a significant chance of the fumes literally killing one of my housemates, who has severe lung damage.

But yeah, if you can afford a $500 mini Kickstarter you can afford to buy a friend $300 worth of a 3d printer and supplies. Everyone has that one weird friend who tinkers with tech "because it's cool", rights?

If you don't you're probably that friend, sorry you had to find out this way

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I get not wanting to 3D print minis but 500 dollars on some minis with a board game attached is kinda crazy. 200? Sure, I could see getting there. 500 is in that category where I think you need to reevaluate what you are really wanting out of it. Which is probably why I’d don’t fund. Needed the Marvel license for that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've done a couple of minis-heavy game kickstarters, including the Conan boardgame (lol of course), another by the same publisher, Mythic Battles: Pantheon, Kings of War: Vanguard, and Dungeon Saga. We also own a 3d printer. In each case, there's no goddamn way I'd want to spend my free time babysitting a 3d printer for weeks finding proxies I like, getting STLs, doing slicing, printing and troubleshooting and maybe reprinting, like fifty minis just so I can play that board game. It's gotten a lot better in recent years, we've got a pretty good printer now and it's much quieter and enclosed, but still: gently caress that, that's not what my valuable time is for. I also don't really sweat $300 once a year for a splurge on a game, either, so that is definitely a factor too.

Basically we use the 3d printer to make things that we can't get otherwise - stuff we design or redesign ourselves, parts for my wife's projects. If there's an injection molded plastic thing made to a better quality for a reasonable price it's going to be buy instead of print 100% of the time for me. I don't think that's a universal position or anything, of course it isn't, but it's certainly common enough that "don't pledge money for minis just print them" is a reasonable suggestion but not a reasonable condemnation of people who would just really rather not.

To put it another way, the suggestion boils down to trading time and effort for some savings on money, and that's a fine suggestion for countless areas of modern living, from doing your own automotive maintenance and repair to making your own clothes. Just buy the right tools (know which ones are right), learn how to use them (make mistakes along the way), spend time and effort, make this an interest or hobby, dedicate space in your home for your tools and workspace, and you can save lots of money! Yes, that is literally true, and for those of us who have done that (in my case: automotive maintenance and repair) it can be a rewarding and satisfying passtime. It's good to know that's an option and maybe people are often more timid about it than they should be and that's unfortunate.

But yeah let's not just totally downplay and dismiss that there's a learning curve, you need at least a little dedicated space, it takes a lot of time, can be noisy, and can produce very mixed results, all to save what may be a minor portion of someone's entertainment budget.

$500 can be a huge amount for what we'd normally think of as a reasonable game budget, but also like... that's tickets for two, to a single NFL football game. :shrug: some folks got some money to spend, you know?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Totally reasonable, but is the ROI on them worth putting them into every board game on Kickstarter? Seems like most people just buy those big rear end games for the minis and not really the game…..soooo, why not just sell the minis? Kickstarter is weird.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, reaper bones just sells the minis, that's also a thing. But I think attaching them to a game is getting them in front of some customers who think of themselves as "boardgamers" vs. those who think of themselves as "minis collectors"?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Having a game helps people rationalize overpaying for bulk miniatures, and having miniatures helps people rationalize FOMO overpaying for a dumb game.

^^^ yeah, that ^^^

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

As a game, you can send it out to reviewers and pay them to give you glowing reviews ahead of your Kickstarter.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also "what will I use these minis for" has a more specific and concrete answer - "this game" - vs. a less specific and shakier answer, like "hopefully these are compatible with my warhammer army" or "perhaps while playing D&D we will meet these specific monsters" or "I'm seriously going to paint all 100 of these minis solely for display". That makes it easier to justify the purchase of the cool minis, even when really you'll rarely or never play that boardgame, probably never get around to painting all these minis either, and you just got caught up in looking at the cool sculpts on the kickstarter and waaaanntteeed theeeeem.

Ahem.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Also, sometimes the games attached to the endless piles of minis are fun enough that people play them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah! Dungeon Saga has a basically broken scenario early on, the Conan game's 1st suggested scenario is way too hard, and they had to release a revamp of Mythic Battles: Pantheon to fix some broken monster math (lol). But all three have a core of an interesting, arguably-good game in them, if you can get past the flaws that 100% should have been obvious during playtesting. I have no comment on Kings of War: Vanguard because my pledge has never made it out of the box it shipped to me in, it arrived a year after I had pretty much abandoned tabletop wargaming of any kind for lack of interested friends, so maybe it's flawless I dunno.

Like this actually segues well into a different topic: please, game designers, if you don't have the resources to test all of the scenarios your game is releasing with, at least balance and test the hell out of the first 2 in the book. Because if my gaming group has a bad time the first time or two they try a game, they're not gonna vote to play it a third time. If scenario 12 is broken, by then we'll have enough experience with the game to confidently houserule it.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 28, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Also "what will I use these minis for" has a more specific and concrete answer - "this game" - vs. a less specific and shakier answer, like "hopefully these are compatible with my warhammer army" or "perhaps while playing D&D we will meet these specific monsters" or "I'm seriously going to paint all 100 of these minis solely for display". That makes it easier to justify the purchase of the cool minis, even when really you'll rarely or never play that boardgame, probably never get around to painting all these minis either, and you just got caught up in looking at the cool sculpts on the kickstarter and waaaanntteeed theeeeem.

Ahem.

It's how I'm A-OK with something like Nemesis, cause I know it's not mini-bloat; and they're cool even if they're going to be unpainted forever and never joining a Tyranid army or anything like that.

As an aside, if campaign insist plastic minis I wish they'd aim towards cheaper more generic molds; like the more 'basic' designs you see in Unfathomable/Twilight Imperium

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I get not wanting to 3D print minis but 500 dollars on some minis with a board game attached is kinda crazy. 200? Sure, I could see getting there. 500 is in that category where I think you need to reevaluate what you are really wanting out of it. Which is probably why I’d don’t fund. Needed the Marvel license for that.

I am a simp for Monster Hunter and I will not be shamed at spending over 1k for these absolutely beautiful minis between these 2 Kickstarters

Please take my wallet from me I could probably get them cheaper as a bootleg on Etsy.

Edit:

Alright maybe not. At least not for the first one. That was only like 300 for all the stuff.

Even this new one isn't so bad at like...555. That shipping is a beast.

Ah poo poo that's in british pounds. gently caress me.

Ravus Ursus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 28, 2023

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Ravus Ursus posted:

I am a simp for Monster Hunter and I will not be shamed at spending over 1k for these absolutely beautiful minis between these 2 Kickstarters

Please take my wallet from me I could probably get them cheaper as a bootleg on Etsy.

Edit:

Alright maybe not. At least not for the first one. That was only like 300 for all the stuff.

This is another major advantage of buying minis, or minis games, rather than just 3D printing - if you want, say, Monster Hunter stuff or whatever you can buy the Monster Hunter board game and get a Rathalos mini rather than search Etsy or whatever dubious site you might otherwise go to for :filez: STLs for "monstrous huntsman wrath dragon" or whatever clever fake name they're using for the file.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I have zero interest in 3D printing minis, so maybe I'm behind the times but I thought companies got significantly better quality results from professional factory printing than a home user with a low end affordable 3d printer would for miniatures. If so that'd be another reason to buy on crowdfunding.

But honestly, I don't think most of the time this stuff is cynical calculation on the part of the creators or actually entirely dismissive of the game from consumers. One thing that's become super obvious to me over the last almost 12 years I've spent on Kickstarter and later crowdfunding sites is that the vast majority of people involved in any way with boardgaming as a hobby love minis. Adore them. Think they make games better. Creators are sad if they don't think it's practical to fund minis for their game and add them on subsequent Kickstarters as the brand takes off. Reviewers gush over them (even the folks at SU&SD, while generally very down on crowdfunding and its emphasis on minis, talk about minis being cool). Players look up games based on minis they see on the table. Etc etc etc. If there's a choice between minis and not minis, there's usually like an 85-90% uptake rate on the former. And it remains by and large a field of enthusiasts making things they think are cool and other people agree, even if they've mostly got tunnel vision on the minis.

That doesn't mean they're right, but you know. Tastes vary and all that.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Yeah I looked at Etsy to see what shows up and holy poo poo is the legally distinct Rathalos a joke.

Rathalos:

Rathalos at home:

All joking aside some of the stuff people make is pretty sick though.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ravus Ursus posted:

Edit:

Ice world? they added a bunch of stuff in the PM... like at least $200 more

again though, its pretty cool. if I was into the IP i would've been way more tempted to get it

another aspect of these big box games is that they actually seem pretty easy to sell after you're done with it

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

the big boxes arent stopping!!

https://gamefound.com/en/projects/ghostfire-gaming/aberration

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

CODChimera posted:

Yeah, as another huge monster hunter simp I went all-in on base Monster Hunter World, but for Iceborne I decided to just do the $1 for the pledge manager. When I saw just how much stuff they kept adding along the way during the kickstarter and then even more in the PM I felt fine about tapping out and passing on all of it.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

CODChimera posted:

again though, its pretty cool. if I was into the IP i would've been way more tempted to get it

another aspect of these big box games is that they actually seem pretty easy to sell after you're done with it

I know. That's how I got to 555. I added it all because I have the self control of a toddler and the paycheck of a dude with no toddlers.

But your right, it does seem like I could recoup most of not all my spend in the aftermarket since the retail prices from steam forge tend to run a chunk higher than the KS price.

But it's been well reviewed and is referred as KD lite? So I might actually play it.

xK1 posted:

Yeah, as another huge monster hunter simp I went all-in on base Monster Hunter World, but for Iceborne I decided to just do the $1 for the pledge manager. When I saw just how much stuff they kept adding along the way during the kickstarter and then even more in the PM I felt fine about tapping out and passing on all of it.

Wiser than me.

GFG are a bunch of cool dudes who made a non mini options and added the better quality greebles to the base package and lowered the price when a few people point out they were pricing themselves way outside of what they were making.

I'm not a board game person despite my dumping wads into the MH games, but it seems to check all the hashtags that people like now? Tower/town defense, bag building, ties into an existing property so you can spin it off in a ttrpg campaign (limited to 5e).

Depends on if the gameplay loop is worth it.

Ravus Ursus fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 29, 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s mostly what I’ve been annoyed about. Some of these games look fun but I can’t justify dropping 200 - 300 dollars just for some extra minis but give me the option to do it with base gameboard tokens and I’m now interested.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I could just be extra paranoid nowadays due to the whole Terraforming Mars debacle, but can a goon weigh in on this?
I just feel the itch in the back of my mind that the latest Awaken Realms game uses AI generation in the development of the artwork:

https://gamefound.com/en/projects/awaken-realms/dragon-eclipse

A lot of the cards have abstract elemental swirly representations of attack moves without the creature in them. They seem similar to some of the artwork that you can generate through popular AI methods (Midjourney, Dall-E, etc.). A lot of the card names don't even match what the artwork looks like. Even some of the creature designs seem like they may have been prototyped through AI "brainstorming." Of course, if so, I don't believe they'd hit "generate" and just stick it on a card. I'm sure these pieces have been touched up by an artist afterwards.

Awaken Realms did have a guaranteed instance of using AI art before in the promo video for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I'm not pulling this out of the air here, but basically no one else on the internet has even tugged at this thread and Awaken Realms are one of the big boys in board gaming right now. If this were true, wouldn't SUSD, NPI, Polygon, etc. be all over this story? Am I crazy?

EDIT: Like this pic here:

That endless ribbon has the almost illogical look to it where you can't quite make out where things begin and end.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 1, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
idk, all of that stuff looks like it has a fairly consistent style. it also feels appropriate for endless ribbon not to have a clear beginning and end. also unlike almost all ai art it looks like these have a sense of composition to them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Those 100% look like “AI+” where the base is AI then the artist paints over some of it manually to refine it to be usable.

This game recently did the same thing and has a video in “The Art” showing how. Note how extremely similar the art looks to this AR game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/algomancy/algomancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

There's a lot of kickstarters that I've skipped because I wanted the minis and didn't want to have to get a bunch of rulebooks and cardboard I was never going to use