Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I mean, I get that GW2's roles are a little more complicated but fundamentally it wouldn't work that differently from ESO's dungeon finder. That game also has the potential for most classes to play every role, and weird homebrew stuff that might suck, and if someone queues wrong you just have to boot them and requeue to fill the spot. It also has gating so you can't queue for the hardest content, or at least you have to meet some extra requirement to do so. And sometimes you fail and that's just part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

boho posted:

Also Q/A need to be removed period.

Anet reads you loud and clear and will be removing their quality assurance posthaste.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anet reads you loud and clear and will be removing their quality assurance posthaste.

Wow! They did it before they even asked! Amazing!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ptroll posted:

If a matchmaking system for a PVE activity isn't supposed to guarantee at least a pretty good chance of success, what's it for? Why would I join it if there's a good chance I'll just waste my time struggling against easy content?
We actually have this already! IBS strikes have public matchmaking and the kinds of groups it'll form will struggle to complete Shiverpeaks Pass, despite it being absurdly easy. Barely anyone uses the feature, because it's pretty likely you'll spend an hour not clearing it.

And if it wasn't perma quick/alac, it'd be perma might/fury. Each of these boons just results in more squad damage, and rewards you for building a squad comp that fits well together. Should we also get rid of might?

WAIT

shiverpeaks pass can be failed?

how
the
gently caress?

like do you go afk at the end while doing it solo or something?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

I think I agree with everything you have posted about group finding, well said. Of course this conversation is pretty irrelevant since anet don't care about group content, they care about things that make them money and keep the vast majority of players happy. Like cosmetics and solo story content.

Truga posted:

huh, shows what i know. i've seen people without tags start raid groups but i had no idea they were fishing for a real tag since i ground the gold for mine when they announced it's gonna get expensive lol

e: yeah, wiki says you can make raid-size squad whenever: "The maximum number of players allowed in a Squad is 10, or 50 if the Squad was created by a commander."
stealing a squad by tagging sure is a dick move tho

Fun fact - the guild recruitment LFG doesn't allow squads. So if you advertise there, anyone can join your group and delist you. There is nothing you can do to prevent this.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

jokes posted:

GW2 has lots of active ways to dodge/mitigate/avoid direct damage if you're cool and smart, and being able to play a dedicated tank in low-stakes content would be great and fun. Sword/shield Vindicator being able to dodge everything all of the time, for example, while dumping buffs into melee. Warrior finally having a reason to use shield. Lots of block/riposte skills, like ranger's greatsword, vindicator's greatsword, etc.

You can approximate the role of a tank pretty well with the Relic of Lyhr that allows you to absorb a significant % of your party's damage intermittently, but the problem with that is that aoe healing is the default and it's busted, it's actually harder to heal off damage you've intentionally made uneven by redirecting it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I will say that it sucks that the literal time mage spec isn't the best at either quickness or alacrity

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

whydirt posted:

I will say that it sucks that the literal time mage spec isn't the best at either quickness or alacrity

It's the only one that can pick which it provides, with the only change to their build, gear, or rotation being to take a single trait, and it's one of the specs that can maintain uptime with 0 boon duration.

Also getting access to dagger means it can be fully ranged now, which is a significant benefit when you have to avoid damage while playing Mozart.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
remember when alac didn't exist and aoe quickness only existed on a single elite skill and lasted like 5 seconds? lmao

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

My big problem with quickness is really just that all the new weapons added with elite specs and such are obviously designed with perma quickness as their baseline speed, and tend to feel awful without it

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

ptroll posted:

And if it wasn't perma quick/alac, it'd be perma might/fury. Each of these boons just results in more squad damage, and rewards you for building a squad comp that fits well together. Should we also get rid of might?

Quite literally yes. The entire boon system is a clusterfuck and makes balance impossible.

ANet has expressed interest in fixing the fact that the gap between pubbies and Snowcrows is 1000%-2000% effectiveness (DPS). A WoW raid finder group versus cutting edge Mythic raiders is more like 30-40%.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Here's how you fix the LFG:
Get rid of 90% of the collapsing categories, nobody is ever going to see your squad under Central Tyria>Fireheart Rise>That One Subarea You Have To Look Up>Events (Experienced)>Help The Flame Legion Learn the Value of Friendship

We really JUST need a few overarching categories like world bosses, the expansions/seasons/etc so that when people, say, are looking for a LS4 meta train they don't have to play whack-a-mole with every single map and the general categories searching for a group.

Also being able to advertise organized events directly in LFG would be EXCELLENT so we can stop referring every new player to external discords if they want to get into serious group content. We would need to ban the raid sellers, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Syenite posted:

Also being able to advertise organized events directly in LFG would be EXCELLENT so we can stop referring every new player to external discords if they want to get into serious group content.

You can already do this, people often do it on EU. Or do you mean the ability to leave a message there without having to be logged in/not in another group? That'd be nice, but I don't think LFG is necessarily the right place for it.

Syenite posted:

We would need to ban the raid sellers, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Why? Raid sellers generate income for anet, and it's a way for players make their own fun. A lot of people really seem to hate raid sellers, but I don't really get it. What are the negatives?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Raid selling is a weird pipeline for people with money to experience content, and it becomes a problem when devs focus more on that as the 'right' way to do content-- either be super hardcore with no room for failure which is not fun but it is optimal for getting money, or pay (to the devs) extra money. It hurts the middle class!

Industrializing playing a video game, especially an MMO, is loving weird.

I haven't done any GW2 raids because they seem a bit out of reach for me. The idea of raid selling only enhances that: raid sellers want raids to be harder and harder which justifies their, idk, trade

It also creates a system where raid sellers are extremely, extremely insular-- after all, why would they let other people join their raid if they are charging people for the privilege?

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 28, 2023

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Mover posted:

My big problem with quickness is really just that all the new weapons added with elite specs and such are obviously designed with perma quickness as their baseline speed, and tend to feel awful without it

They should just change all of the cooldowns/animation speeds to match what they would be at 100% uptime. Then they can just delete the boons and go from there.

Because, yeah, some things feel awful without them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

whydirt posted:

Only time mage should get alacrity. Quickness should also be an extremely brief, rare buff-- the only good source of it is a time mage, or personal buffs.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

jokes posted:

Only time mage should get alacrity. Quickness should also be an extremely brief, rare buff-- the only good source of it is a time mage, or personal buffs.

I’d rather just get rid of them. Brief buffs that change the pace of your rotation are awful, especially in a game with a horrible UI.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quickness shouldn't really change your rotation since the cooldowns would be static without alacrity, just increases the rate of execution and gives you bonus actions (usually your 1 combo) over the same time period.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

jokes posted:

Raid selling is a weird pipeline for people with money to experience content, and it becomes a problem when devs focus more on that as the 'right' way to do content

Agreed, but I don't think that's actually something that's close to happening. Almost all the content is ridiculously easy if you do the slightest prep and understand the game mechanics.

jokes posted:

I haven't done any GW2 raids because they seem a bit out of reach for me.

I felt like this until I actually did one. If you're on EU, look out for training raids in LFG. If you're on either region, there are some big open discords you can join to find training, or to make a progression static if you want to work it all out with your own group.

jokes posted:

The idea of raid selling only enhances that: raid sellers want raids to be harder and harder which justifies their, idk, trade

It also creates a system where raid sellers are extremely, extremely insular-- after all, why would they let other people join their raid if they are charging people for the privilege?

Raid sellers are groups of normal (but skilled) players who want to make some quick currency carrying people with money through content. They are the type of player who enjoys playing the game well. They are not the kind of player who would be hanging out in LFG advertising 0kp groups unless they specifically felt like training people, which would be an entirely different experience to doing hard content with 6-7 other skilled players. They are not training the people they carry, usually the buyers will be instructed to /gg at the start of fights and lie dead on the floor. They'd more likely just stop playing the game if that option was not available to them.

I feel like this line of reasoning is often used by less experienced players to criticise raiders in the game - that if only they could be forced into playing a different way they'd do that, rather than quit. I say let people play how they want, even if it's not the way you or I choose to play the game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

boon effects might get toned down but I don't think they'll ever be eliminated, it would crater the support DPS role as it exists and people who like it would be furious

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's a little silly how easy it is for some classes to give you 100% uptime on certain buffs, though, as it crowds out the space.

Ideally, hitting 25 might is not particularly easy. Herald alone lets you just maintain 15 might at all times without doing anything else.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

boon effects might get toned down but I don't think they'll ever be eliminated, it would crater the support DPS role as it exists and people who like it would be furious

But your character just kind of farts boons as they do their DPS rotation. There's rarely a notable gameplay difference between "support DPS" and just DPS. Honestly the majority of them are just single-trait selections and sometimes a gear swap.

..btt posted:

Why? Raid sellers generate income for anet, and it's a way for players make their own fun. A lot of people really seem to hate raid sellers, but I don't really get it. What are the negatives?

I'm convinced public raid selling is always a net negative to all aspects of the game:

- Incentivizes sellers to be as exclusionary and toxic as possible to maximize their income (Vale Guardian, link 500 KP)
- Reduces the number of users who even lay eyes on the content you spent millions to develop
- Goes hand in hand with RMT
- Generates support calls

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

jokes posted:

It's a little silly how easy it is for some classes to give you 100% uptime on certain buffs, though, as it crowds out the space.

Ideally, hitting 25 might is not particularly easy. Herald alone lets you just maintain 15 might at all times without doing anything else.

25 stacks kind of hits that un-sweet spot where some can keep it up very easily while others struggle. i wonder how much dps would flatten out if the max stack was reduced to 20 instead

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

jokes posted:

Isn't this basically what GW2 was at HoT launch?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

25 stacks kind of hits that un-sweet spot where some can keep it up very easily while others struggle. i wonder how much dps would flatten out if the max stack was reduced to 20 instead

Or if they removed the stack limitation altogether and did a huge purge of might sharing abilities to give supports way, way more utility. As it is, it's just assumed you'll always be at 25 might and only 1-2 people are needed to ensure everyone is always at 25 might, yet everyone is giving themselves might and sharing it all the time.

More buffs, more problems

whydirt posted:

Isn't this basically what GW2 was at HoT launch?

Yeah it was a lot more active and engaging, too, as it encouraged you to do things to give everyone buffs. The modern assumption is that you have every buff on at all times, which isn't great.

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 28, 2023

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I miss when supporting as an ele was just about blasting fire fields for massive might and fury for the team

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

..btt posted:

They are not the kind of player who would be hanging out in LFG advertising 0kp groups unless they specifically felt like training people, which would be an entirely different experience to doing hard content with 6-7 other skilled players. They are not training the people they carry, usually the buyers will be instructed to /gg at the start of fights and lie dead on the floor. They'd more likely just stop playing the game if that option was not available to them.

I feel like this line of reasoning is often used by less experienced players to criticise raiders in the game - that if only they could be forced into playing a different way they'd do that, rather than quit. I say let people play how they want, even if it's not the way you or I choose to play the game.

Wait, lol. Did I read that correctly?

I don't know anything about buying spots in raids, but if I understand your description correctly, someone pays to join the raid, and then the experienced people running it tell them to /gg and lie dead on the floor the whole time?

I mean, to each their own, I guess, but I would be so pissed if this was the case. If I'm paying for a raid, I want superhuman mega gamers to be so good at the boss fight that they're confident they can beat the boss while I'm alive. I understand failing mechanics can wipe groups (sometimes), but if I'm paying for it, I want them to at least coach/educate me and throw me a bone. And honestly, as long as it isn't a fail state boss mechanic, they should be good enough at the game that they can handle someone screwing up mechanics and making the encounter harder than usual.

There's no chance in hell I would pay to lie dead on the floor, with that humiliating death music and fixed camera angle, lol. I'd rather grab a group of 10 randoms off LFG and try my luck via trial and error, herding cats, probably wipe a dozen times, but we could at least be on discord and study Mukluk video tutorials or Hardstuck walkthroughs.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 28, 2023

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

boho posted:

- Incentivizes sellers to be as exclusionary and toxic as possible to maximize their income (Vale Guardian, link 500 KP)

I don't believe that raid sellers use the LFG beyond selling raids - they have their own static groups that they sell with. They still exist on NA where I understand kp is not really used, which seems to contradict this assertion as well. This seems founded on the (imo flawed) assumption that they'd still raid with inexperienced players if they couldn't sell.

boho posted:

- Reduces the number of users who even lay eyes on the content you spent millions to develop

I think it actually increases the number of people who see the content, though not by a significant amount - specifically the people that buy that otherwise would not see the content. Curious on your logic for this one.

boho posted:

- Goes hand in hand with RMT

This is literally part of the game, and even predates raids. Perhaps you're not aware, but the large majority of buyers buy gems, convert to gold, then buy mystic coins from the TP as payment. This is generally positive for the in-game economy, and how anet earn money to develop content - RMT that is, not specifically raid selling. I could understand this in other games where there isn't official RMT though. I think I'd agree that gw2 would be better if it was subscription based rather than b2p. Though ironically the reason I started playing again was due to its monetisation model.

boho posted:

- Generates support calls

Maybe via scammers? But there are plenty of other ways you could scam if you wanted. Raid sellers have a reputation to uphold and rely on repeat custom, so I'd consider them fairly trustworthy.

Jedah posted:

Yep, teapot has done a few streams with some raid sellers where he helps out, and gives away carries for people in chat. If you're lying on the floor dead, you can't screw up a mechanic and wipe the group. It does make sense, especially for the harder achievements. But I agree with you, it's something that holds no interest for me as a buyer. I think it'd be fun to do as a seller though.

For KO CM they actually used the two carried players' carefully positioned corpses to mitigate one of the sniper mechanics.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Boons are a weird scapegoat for the '10 times as much damage' meme, I don't think kneecapping them would make the keyboard turners, bearbow rangers, or mis-matched half-geared heroes do any better.

Or if you want to take Mr. Mechanist at his word, from the super seecret discord leak,

quote:

There's plenty of ways to play most builds effectively with minimal button pressing.
It's not 'rotations' that are the problem- that's minor optimization for players who are already capable of playing the game at a high level.
It's time on target and simultaneous action, especially movement and camera control, that are the biggest cause of skill gap.
Most people play with keyboard turning, and camera control is something they -can not- do at the same time as movement.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I wasn't around for Solar, so I don't understand the context. But it seems like he said a lot of stuff that makes sense, and I did find the original iteration of mechanist a lot of fun to play :shrug:

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Jedah posted:

I don't know anything about buying spots in raids, but if I understand your description correctly, someone pays to join the raid, and then the experienced people running it tell them to /gg and lie dead on the floor the whole time?

I mean, to each their own, I guess, but I would be so pissed if this was the case. If I'm paying for a raid, I want superhuman mega gamers to be so good at the boss fight that they're confident they can beat the boss while I'm alive. I understand failing mechanics can wipe groups (sometimes), but if I'm paying for it, I want them to at least coach/educate me and throw me a bone. And honestly, as long as it isn't a fail state boss mechanic, they should be good enough at the game that they can handle someone screwing up mechanics and making the encounter harder than usual.

There's no chance in hell I would pay to lie dead on the floor, with that humiliating death music and fixed camera angle, lol. I'd rather grab a group of 10 randoms off LFG and try my luck via trial and error, herding cats, probably wipe a dozen times, but we could at least be on discord and study Mukluk video tutorials or Hardstuck walkthroughs.
no one buying raids wants to learn anything hth

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

boho posted:

ANet has expressed interest in fixing the fact that the gap between pubbies and Snowcrows is 1000%-2000% effectiveness (DPS). A WoW raid finder group versus cutting edge Mythic raiders is more like 30-40%.

Oh, it's much more than that. I pulled out an old character I hadn't played in years, and arcdps had me doing 1200 dps. The benchmark for that class was 36k. I had crappy runes, crappy equipment, the wrong weapons for the build, and a bad build in general.

When I join random world boss squads, the top 10 players are usually doing 10-20k, and then it drops rapidly down to sub 1k at the bottom. Some of that will be players not in the right spot to consistently attack, but there are a lot of people that just don't do much damage.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I don't know how anyone can play with keyboard turning. That was one of the first things I changed. Maybe they should make that not the default.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
P sure they did, about a year ago :D

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

..btt posted:

I think I'd agree that gw2 would be better if it was subscription based rather than b2p.
:confused:

MajorBonnet posted:

I don't know how anyone can play with keyboard turning. That was one of the first things I changed. Maybe they should make that not the default.
i really wish i could use action camera reverse when not using action camera...

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

..btt posted:

Yep, teapot has done a few streams with some raid sellers where he helps out, and gives away carries for people in chat. If you're lying on the floor dead, you can't screw up a mechanic and wipe the group. It does make sense, especially for the harder achievements. But I agree with you, it's something that holds no interest for me as a buyer. I think it'd be fun to do as a seller though.

For KO CM they actually used the two carried players' carefully positioned corpses to mitigate one of the sniper mechanics.

Oh okay, that changes things a little bit. If Teapot was on-stream and talking through the mechanics, blasting, and there's a GW2 celebrity (basically) involved, I can kinda see why/the appeal. For certain achievements where there's a hard fail state (you failed it, it wipes the whole group) it absolutely makes sense, yeah, otherwise the group might not even be able to complete the achievement/CM successfully.

That's clever about the sniper mechanics, haha, I know exactly what you're referring to.

Saraiguma posted:

no one buying raids wants to learn anything hth

I spend my hard earned money on sparkling birb springer skins, plush mounts, and other skins. Anet knows exactly how to pull my strings on the gemstore, those dang cosmetics are just too good.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Truga posted:

i really wish i could use action camera reverse when not using action camera...

Bind "about face" and enable "use free camera". This is actually better since it also lets you run into the camera in combat instead of backpedaling.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is double-tap dodge still default for new players? I've had that disabled since like the first week of release probably.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

gandlethorpe posted:

Is double-tap dodge still default for new players? I've had that disabled since like the first week of release probably.

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

As someone who has never done a raid (I would like to if for nothing else than to actually max my masteries), how important is Alac and Quickness uptime? Will you wipe if it's only up 75% of the time? Is it possible to beat encounters with significantly less?

I know human nature and especially the inclination of MMO players is to find the most efficient way to do anything (see also stealthing past 90% of mobs in the dungeons) and for pugs I can get wanting full uptime, but in a static group where people actually give a poo poo is it feasible to do it without 100% uptime?

I'm not sure where I'm going with this question I'm just genuinely curious.