Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

mcbexx posted:

Hey, let's check in on the bees.

Oh, those lazy fucks "struggle" to do their part? Bunch of freeloaders.
But we don't need them, we got technology on our side. HA!

Farmers turn to tech as bees struggle to pollinate

Bees don't want to work anymore, smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I don’t blame them for not wanting to work outside, it’s too drat hot out there!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
The government is going to build a functioning pipeline in the next 20 days despite currently not even knowing where the money is going to come from?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

1glitch0 posted:

The government is going to build a functioning pipeline in the next 20 days despite currently not even knowing where the money is going to come from?

how much money do they need? just pop on down to the local Lowe's and get a 100,000 foot hose

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Kassad posted:

this is going to be the discourse next year if there aren't as many fires, isn't it

canada's inexhaustible and increasingly dry peatlands will be there to provide everyone with free smoke for years to come long after all the trees are ash

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Pussy Quipped posted:

speaking of water

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2304.03271.pdf

turns out every time someone uses chatgpt about 500ml of water is used. lol.

what the gently caress now it automatically starts talking and making up bullshit when you do a normal search

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Minera posted:

isn't south africa on the edge of financial collapse lol

im sure those roads'll get fixed up right away

No?

We were greylisted and things aren't great but important roads here get fixed pretty quickly. This isn't America.

Rauros posted:

cape town almost ran out of water a few years ago

Yeah, they've since spent a lot in disaster management and preparation. The city sends out a great report about their preparations for climate change and other risks to water regularly. Here's the latest one. It's got nice Numbers and pretty Graphs that I think this channel likes.

https://resource.capetown.gov.za/documentcentre/Documents/City%20research%20reports%20and%20review/Water_Outlook_March_2023.pdf

ubachung posted:

I'm almost certain I saw this exact video online a couple of weeks ago.

drat. Sorry I posted misinformation.

The rest is real though. Several people I know were flooded or trapped by flooding this week.

Confusedslight posted:

Jfc.
(Just fyi if you want tweets to embed just change the x.com in the url to twitter.com)

Thanks. What a mess.

Dokapon Findom posted:

How was the temperature everywhere today? Good?

Yeah it's a nice day now. Storm lasted one day.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Pussy Quipped posted:

speaking of water

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2304.03271.pdf

turns out every time someone uses chatgpt about 500ml of water is used. lol.

Well now we need to make sure the AI has enough water!! :wth:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Stereotype posted:

he made An Inconvenient Truth because he is heavily invested in "biofuel" and wanted to get it included in federal subsidies for "renewable" energy even though it's just clearcutting forests and burning the trees.

how did I not know this? thank you for enlightening me, this is actually really comforting to know

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
If not enough water is reaching New Orleans, how does piping water from upriver change anything? I assume the plan is to bypass and screw over any small towns and wildlife areas between New Orleans and the start of the pipeline. Like the total amount of water in the river remains the same.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
salt is going upstream so if they build a pipe from even further upstream where it's not salty yet it'll be fine. Don't worry about having to repeatedly do this or anything

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

they cannot run salt water in the pipes.

OK, so the toilets aren't going to flush

lol the federal government is going to shut down soon. I wonder if the Army Corps of Engineers is essential and keeps working. Seems like we have to get federal money to build this "gently caress you people upriver, we're taking the water" pipeline

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
they got the robin hood tree

https://twitter.com/nationaltrust/status/1707363204257513786

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
Have we already ruled out everyone just grabbing a bucket and scooping some river water out?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

OK, so the toilets aren't going to flush

lol the federal government is going to shut down soon. I wonder if the Army Corps of Engineers is essential and keeps working. Seems like we have to get federal money to build this "gently caress you people upriver, we're taking the water" pipeline

they'll flush...when you pour bottled water rations in the tank.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the people upriver will protest this. Especially if the salt wedge keeps going. I suppose if the pipeline is going right to the water plant intakes then we probably don't need to pump enough water out of the Mississippi upriver to make a difference in the flow rate.

I feel like I'm probably being gaslit by local leaders on this one. Like they don't want to cause a panic (this would not happen anyway) but are themselves having panicked meetings right now about how hosed we are.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

rip

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Researchers in Japan have confirmed microplastics are present in clouds, where they are likely affecting the climate in ways that aren't yet fully understood. In a study published in Environmental Chemistry Letters, scientists climbed Mount Fuji and Mount Oyama in order to collect water from the mists that shroud their peaks, then applied advanced imaging techniques to the samples to determine their physical and chemical properties.

The team identified nine different types of polymers and one type of rubber in the airborne microplastics -- ranging in size from 7.1 to 94.6 micrometers.

Each liter of cloud water contained between 6.7 to 13.9 pieces of the plastics.

What's more, "hydrophilic" or water-loving polymers were abundant, suggesting the particles play a significant role in rapid cloud formation and thus climate systems.

"If the issue of 'plastic air pollution' is not addressed proactively, climate change and ecological risks may become a reality, causing irreversible and serious environmental damage in the future," lead author Hiroshi Okochi of Waseda University warned in a statement Wednesday.

When microplastics reach the upper atmosphere and are exposed to ultraviolet radiation from sunlight, they degrade, contributing to greenhouse gasses, added Okochi.

Microplastics -- defined as plastic particles under 5 millimeters -- come from industrial effluent, textiles, synthetic car tires, personal care products and much more.

These tiny fragments have been discovered inside fish in the deepest recesses of the ocean peppering Arctic sea ice and blanketing the snows on the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain.

But the mechanisms of their transport have remained unclear, with research on airborne microplastic transport in particular limited.

"To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report on airborne microplastics in cloud water," the authors wrote in their paper.

Emerging evidence has linked microplastics to a range of impacts on heart and lung health, as well as cancers, in addition to widespread environmental harm.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/microplastics-are-present-in-clouds-confirm-japanese-scientists-4430609

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
check out Cadillac Desert for some interesting history into water disputes and engineering measures to pull water into urban centers.

regarding an aqueduct from the Owens River to LA:

quote:

As the farmers who held out felt increasingly alone, their methods grew more and more violent. On May 21, 1924, a group of men “broke” into the Watterson brothers’ warehouse, “stole” three cases of dynamite, and blew a large section of the aqueduct to smithereens. From that moment on, William Mulholland refused to refer to anyone in the Owens Valley by any other name than “dynamiter.” Then, in August, Leicester Hall, who had been warned to stay away forever, returned to the valley and was abducted from a restaurant as he ate. He was driven blindfolded to a road’s end, where he found himself facing a grim-looking group of men and a noose strung over a tree. Hall saved himself by uttering the Freemason’s distress call; there were so many Masons among the valley population that one was in the gang of would-be lynchers, and he managed to talk the others out of murder. But the dynamitings continued. When the Department of Water and Power released a report that recommended “destroying all irrigation”—those were the exact words—in the valley, and it turned out that the main author was Joseph P. Lippincott, the response was a fresh series of blasts. Glasscock’s paper was now openly counseling sabotage. The Ku Klux Klan, sensing a perfect battle stage between “Hollywood”—which was to say, cities, big business, liberalism, and Jews—and the small-town, revanchist values it cherished, was sending recruiters into the valley and getting good results. Even Fred Eaton, after holding himself aloof, finally entered the fray against the city of which he had been mayor. “Wherever the hand of Los Angeles has touched Owens Valley,” he wrote in a letter to the editor, “it has turned back into desert.”

I’m sure everyone knows how this story ends.

surely this pattern will not be repeated in this case.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
planet's dyin', microplastics cloud

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

gradenko_2000 posted:

planet's dyin', microplastics cloud

plastics thriving, cloud

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
Is there anywhere on this planet that doesn't have microplastics at this point? At this rate it's gonna be one of the basic building blocks of life on Earth

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pobrecito posted:

Researchers in Japan have confirmed microplastics are present in clouds, where they are likely affecting the climate in ways that aren't yet fully understood.
Even the clouds will have tiny useless dicks :(

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

HermitSupplier posted:

Is there anywhere on this planet that doesn't have microplastics at this point? At this rate it's gonna be one of the basic building blocks of life on Earth

humanity will not survive it but I comfort myself by thinking of the beautiful species of neon crab-things that will learn to make their exoskeleton out of our trash

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

tuyop posted:

check out Cadillac Desert for some interesting history into water disputes and engineering measures to pull water into urban centers.

regarding an aqueduct from the Owens River to LA:

I’m sure everyone knows how this story ends.

surely this pattern will not be repeated in this case.

wtf, i want a secret distress call to use if someone's going to kill me too

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pobrecito posted:

Researchers in Japan have confirmed microplastics are present in clouds, where they are likely affecting the climate in ways that aren't yet fully understood. In a study published in Environmental Chemistry Letters, scientists climbed Mount Fuji and Mount Oyama in order to collect water from the mists that shroud their peaks, then applied advanced imaging techniques to the samples to determine their physical and chemical properties.

The team identified nine different types of polymers and one type of rubber in the airborne microplastics -- ranging in size from 7.1 to 94.6 micrometers.

Each liter of cloud water contained between 6.7 to 13.9 pieces of the plastics.

What's more, "hydrophilic" or water-loving polymers were abundant, suggesting the particles play a significant role in rapid cloud formation and thus climate systems.

"If the issue of 'plastic air pollution' is not addressed proactively, climate change and ecological risks may become a reality, causing irreversible and serious environmental damage in the future," lead author Hiroshi Okochi of Waseda University warned in a statement Wednesday.

When microplastics reach the upper atmosphere and are exposed to ultraviolet radiation from sunlight, they degrade, contributing to greenhouse gasses, added Okochi.

Microplastics -- defined as plastic particles under 5 millimeters -- come from industrial effluent, textiles, synthetic car tires, personal care products and much more.

These tiny fragments have been discovered inside fish in the deepest recesses of the ocean peppering Arctic sea ice and blanketing the snows on the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain.

But the mechanisms of their transport have remained unclear, with research on airborne microplastic transport in particular limited.

"To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report on airborne microplastics in cloud water," the authors wrote in their paper.

Emerging evidence has linked microplastics to a range of impacts on heart and lung health, as well as cancers, in addition to widespread environmental harm.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/microplastics-are-present-in-clouds-confirm-japanese-scientists-4430609

It'd be some cool post apocalyptic weather if we get ultra lightning from the static or clouds that catch on fire and rain down molten plastic or something

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

SixteenShells posted:

Oh, you don't know the secret distress call?

Everyone here knows the distress call.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Pobrecito posted:

Researchers in Japan have confirmed microplastics are present in clouds, where they are likely affecting the climate in ways that aren't yet fully understood.

Woah dang that's cool/unexpected, what can't our jolly old friend Microplastics do

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

me, facing a brutal death, “i have stairs in my house!”

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

crying, making GBS threads, asking the wasteland cannibals who've chained me to a wall if they have stairs in their house

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

lmao gently caress beaten

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Brain Curry posted:

me, facing a brutal death, “i have stairs in my house!”

smh, not even correct with the secret handshake

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

:smithcloud:
:flaccid:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

honestly, when i find something magical like this in nature, i'm relieved some deranged person hasn't destroyed it yet

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
"I'm outraged about that one tree :mad:" i exclaim middleclassishly, while in the queue at IKEA

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

SixteenShells posted:

Ask if anyone has stairs in their house. Someone in the mob might be a goon

My god I've been beaten so badly

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Tree… law?

Also, Twitter going mental saying the suspected 16-year-old should be beheaded in public.

Naturally via chainsaw.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
There used to be a lot of trees there and they were all chopped, leaving that last one.

Just throw some seeds, hell regrow it from a cutting or maybe it'll form shoots, adding to the mystique

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Microplastics posted:

"I'm outraged about that one tree :mad:" i exclaim middleclassishly, while in the queue at IKEA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
AI will stop sea level rise by simply consuming all the water

thanks AI thai