Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"12 parsecs" is such a fantastic line before the retcon because of is its reaction shot:

Luke is confused and impressed, but Obi Wan has realized that Han is totally full of poo poo. And he either doesn't know what a parsec is or is stupid.

That's good filmmaking, even if it was unintentional.

And then they flushed a priceless Sir Alec Guinness emote for nerd reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
The best thing about Solo was the Youtube where someone replaced one of the trailer's audio with 'Sabotage'.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

moths posted:

Luke is confused and impressed, but Obi Wan has realized that Han is totally full of poo poo. And he either doesn't know what a parsec is or is stupid.

Or is testing to see what a group of wet behind the ears yokels he's dealing with. And knows that he can tell Luke just about anything and he'll believe it while Obi Wan may look as if he's been on Tatooine forever but knows a few things.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

moths posted:

"12 parsecs" is such a fantastic line before the retcon because of is its reaction shot:

That's good filmmaking, even if it was unintentional.

And then they flushed a priceless Sir Alec Guinness emote for nerd reasons.

Obi Wan's reaction is literally in the script, it's in the script that Han is full of poo poo.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The clones just being flesh Droids is one of the things that made Clone Wars such a good show. Every episode about Clones questioning their place or really anything showing problems with the Jedi really added a lot of depth to the setting.

It's a shame that the Separatists is just evil space wizards all the way down.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It's a shame that the Separatists is just evil space wizards all the way down.

Hey, not all the way down. The actual droids seem pretty decent. Some of them just want to have a decent job working in a salvage and repair shop, watching out for some kids and drinking oil while writting their autobiography. Shame about all the biological assholes above them.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

neonchameleon posted:

Or is testing to see what a group of wet behind the ears yokels he's dealing with. And knows that he can tell Luke just about anything and he'll believe it while Obi Wan may look as if he's been on Tatooine forever but knows a few things.

Yeah it is alas peak nerd culture that someone had to come up with (and then film) a reason why that line totally makes sense honest instead of just accepting that it's a line of patter a shady guy is running on a couple dudes who he hopes he can soak for a lot of money. Confidently throwing out a lot of superficially impressive jargon talk is one of your basic con man moves and while Han isn't exactly planning to rip off Obi Wan and Luke he is hoping to get them to pay a ridiculously elevated price.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Personally, I think the most likely explanation is both that Han was spinning a line of bullshit about how fast his ship was and Obi-Wan wasn't buying it, and also George Lucas didn't know that a "parsec" is a unit of distance and not time.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Lumbermouth posted:

Or Rifts and throwing boiling water on a person.

So this post has been haunting my brain ever since I read it--I tried googling RIFTS and boiling water and got nothing. What's the story here?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Giant Tourtiere posted:

The best thing about Solo was the Youtube where someone replaced one of the trailer's audio with 'Sabotage'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPY4TKo6uQ

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

OtspIII posted:

So this post has been haunting my brain ever since I read it--I tried googling RIFTS and boiling water and got nothing. What's the story here?

IIRC it was something about the corebook specifically mentioning throwing boiling water at someone as an example of an act so unforgivably evil it would instantly change your alignment. Or something like that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Panzeh posted:

the Kessel Run line is much, much better when it's bullshit(as the script says) and the 10 zillion people trying to find a way for Han to not be full of poo poo don't understand anything about media.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

In my prequel we learn that the country of Malta had discovered and refined "dreamium," a new element that dreams are made out of.

Because the falcon statue is made out of pure dreamium, it's incredibly valuable and everybody wants it.

Hollywood has greenlit my screenplay and the $78M check just cleared.

E: it also features the song "It Again (Sam)" which helps cement it into the Bogart Cinematic Universe.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 28, 2023

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

...now I want to see this movie.

And I have already seen this movie and really didn't like it.

The Beastie Boys musical prowess remains unmatched.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

OtspIII posted:

It's Heroes Unlimited, a different game from the same publisher. It had weird and inconsistent conceptions of what heroic morality should be, all throughout the text really. But one of the notable ones is the major power Water Control (well, Control Elemental Force: Water) which calls out that it can be used to damage people by scalding them with boiling water, but that this specific act was beyond the pale for any true hero.

No mention of the morality of actually setting them on fire with Control Elemental Force: Fire, though. I guess that one's just fine.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GimpInBlack posted:

Personally, I think the most likely explanation is both that Han was spinning a line of bullshit about how fast his ship was and Obi-Wan wasn't buying it, and also George Lucas didn't know that a "parsec" is a unit of distance and not time.

Good artists are willing to admit they made a mistake and work to correct it. Great artists realize when their mistake helped create something bigger than themselves, and leave it in.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Good artists are willing to admit they made a mistake and work to correct it. Great artists realize when their mistake helped create something bigger than themselves, and leave it in.
Yeah his ex really made Star Wars out of the purestrain George mess.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
In the old continuity some droids had a heuristic processor and some didn’t. Having a heuristic processor enabled the droid to learn and grow, so my interpretation was that a droid with one could become a person and a droid without one was basically a sophisticated simulation of a person.

In universe it talks several times about the importance of mind wiping your droids regularly to prevent them developing personalities, which is arguably an ethical approach. If you have a droid doing a lovely job, you don’t want it to become a person and have to wrestle with doing that job, you just want it to do the job.

It’s the same argument we’ll eventually have about AIs when we get there.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Do you think R2-D2 gets a salary from the Rebellion? Does Chewbacca send money back to his family?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Yeah his ex really made Star Wars out of the purestrain George mess.

You know, she actively doesn't support this claim:

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 28, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The idea that George was some kind of idiot savant and other people "fixed" the movies is just people somehow having no idea how movies are made.

Get this: Steven Spielberg hasn't written a film himself since Close Encounters in 1977! Did you know that AI was a total ripoff of some other guy's story? And it gets worse: he didn't make any of the props in the Indiana Jones movies, he hired other guys to do that for him! What a fraud!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IIRC there was an initial screening with the producers or test audiences or something, they hated it, and she did a major re-edit and turned it into the film we saw. She gets a lot of credit nowadays at least in part because it seems George Lucas went out of his way to not give her credit back in the day, and given what we also know about Lucas' lazy filmmaking, it feels very truthy to claim she's the reason that first movie was such a banger.

It also makes a ton of sense, sadly, that a woman tryign to make it as an editor in 1970s hollywood would go out of her way to publicly and modestly insist that all the credit for the movie should be his, because if she didn't, she might never work again. Of course, she mostly didn't work on movies again, and I think that quote from above is much more recent?

Neither of those things are proof that she is actually the reason the movie's any good. I don't think we can actually tease that out with certainty.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 28, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think it's more a read on how his films' quality cratered as he gained more creative control.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Leperflesh posted:

IIRC there was an initial screening with the producers or test audiences or something, they hated it, and she did a major re-edit and turned it into the film we saw. She gets a lot of credit nowadays at least in part because it seems George Lucas went out of his way to not give her credit back in the day, and given what we also know about Lucas' lazy filmmaking, it feels very truthy to claim she's the reason that first movie was such a banger.
What’s real fun in these conversations is when people start writing George as Jorge!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moths posted:

I think it's more a read on how his films' quality cratered as he gained more creative control.

Yes. How did he strike gold back then, if not for her? But he also made American Graffiti, first, and that was how he got budget and got star wars made in the first place - he had proven himself to be capable of making a good movie.

It was also edited by Verna Fields and... Marcia Lucas. She also edited Alice Doesn't Live Here and Taxi Driver for Martin Scorcese, among other films. So the notion that she's a loving drat good editor has additional support.

But the effort to discredit Lucas for the quality of his own movies is fruitless because "someone else edited the movies" doesn't hold water, that's how most all movies are made and we don't go around discrediting most of their writers/directors on that basis.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lucas isn't a talentless hack but the original Star Wars movies were a team effort, and several of the people who contributed just weren't around for later movies.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Lucas hates tension. That’s his critical flaw as a filmmaker that he needs collaborators to address. The Death Star run needs immediate stakes and Luke shouldn’t have a second try. Empire doesn’t need to be recut before the premier to add more tension deflating jokes. There doesn’t need to be wacky droid schtick in the middle of every action scene.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

In my prequel we learn that the country of Malta had discovered and refined "dreamium," a new element that dreams are made out of.

Because the falcon statue is made out of pure dreamium, it's incredibly valuable and everybody wants it.

Hollywood has greenlit my screenplay and the $78M check just cleared.

E: it also features the song "It Again (Sam)" which helps cement it into the Bogart Cinematic Universe.

West End Games, are you taking notes?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The editing work done of the original Star Wars is an immensely interesting subject. Rocketjump awhile back put out a video (less than 20 minutes long) detailing how the edit significantly changed the movie from it's original cut (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk). However, the fact that the editing work was important in creating the final product doesn't change the fact that George Lucas is the man that decided to stick samurai movies, westerns, and Flash Gordon into a blender and actually found a way to make it work. Nor does it change the S-grade work done by the set designers, the foleys, or the actors who both found ways to say Lucas's lines and had the balls to change the lines when they felt they knew better. Star Wars is a prime example of the idea of filmmaking as a truly collaborative process, and shows how having a movie where everyone is on their A-game creates a really excellent film. Trying to pick out any one person and claim they were what made the movie great is pointless because everyone made that movie great.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anyway not to derail too much, I think what actually happened was that Lucas made good movies when he had severe budget constraints and couldn't just slap together some halfassed storyboards or film everything in front of green screens and then have an enormous staff of other people fill in all the gaps, none of whom are empowered to overrule him on any matter. He got extremely rich, still wanted his auteur credit, but didn't put in the effort as a director after 1977. He literally did not direct another film until the prequels.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Star Wars is a prime example of the idea of filmmaking as a truly collaborative process, and shows how having a movie where everyone is on their A-game creates a really excellent film. Trying to pick out any one person and claim they were what made the movie great is pointless because everyone made that movie great.

It's an uphill battle against auteur theory, unfortunately.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Most movies aren’t Star Wars. Most directors don’t have the meteoric success George found and the near unlimited resources and control that gave him. Most production histories aren’t as heavily studied and scrutinized. George was good at some things but got worse as time went on while also controlling more of every aspect of the films. Pretty easily to draw conclusions.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
George also cut the merchandising deal with Kenner that changed the game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Based on his filmography page, he's been an incredible producer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bar Crow posted:

Lucas hates tension. That’s his critical flaw as a filmmaker that he needs collaborators to address. The Death Star run needs immediate stakes and Luke shouldn’t have a second try. Empire doesn’t need to be recut before the premier to add more tension deflating jokes. There doesn’t need to be wacky droid schtick in the middle of every action scene.

This even goes to him as a director. He abhors conflict with people, and like people around the prequel trilogy, and I believe he himself have gone on record as saying that he didn't want to give critique or direction to his actors whom he respected during shooting, and as such the edit and VFX is where he did most of his direction in the prequels to adjust stuff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Leperflesh posted:

Based on his filmography page, he's been an incredible producer.

???

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah, willow, land before time, all the star wars and indiana jones stuff, it's a lot of things that have been widely successful

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

And?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dexo posted:

This even goes to him as a director. He abhors conflict with people, and like people around the prequel trilogy, and I believe he himself have gone on record as saying that he didn't want to give critique or direction to his actors whom he respected during shooting, and as such the edit and VFX is where he did most of his direction in the prequels to adjust stuff.

I was watching a review that spoke to this tendency, where Anakin is going on about killing all the Sand People and Natalie Portman is just staring at him, like... maybe a little concerned? Possibly just gassy? And the reviewer is yelling "HELP HER HELP YOU GEORGE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Padme's line about being angry being human is not necessarily the most appropriate thing to say about the slaughter of a village of non-humans, either.