Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

oh jay posted:

Imagine being married to Eggman.

Wouldn't that be the walrus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA acting superior at my middle school reunion

are there really middle school reunions? poo poo it's been over 20 years since I graduated high school, I didn't think they were a thing still, or do I need to wait another 30?

Wow if only she had taken her glasses off in school, people would have realized how beautiful she really was…

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like going to your middle school reunion is sort of admitting that it's all been downhill since then.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/metroradionews/status/1707321659105980675

The UK is going to be invoking Tree Law all over someone's rear end.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

oh jay posted:

Goo goo gajoob?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for ignoring my ex-wifes wishes regarding having pur daughters in my wedding and uninviting her?

quote:

I(43m) am getting married to my partner "lauren"(32f) in less than a month, it is a destination wedding that has been in the pipeline for over 18 months now. I have my two daughters (16 and 11) week about with my ex wife "anna" (46f), and Lauren has a daughter from her prior relationship (deceased ex due to a car accident while lauren was pregnant) who is 5.

Anna and I split 5 years ago when Anna realised she was bi and wanted to pursue a woman from her work, I will admit that I probably moved on with Lauren too fast due to my devastation over my 21yr relationship ending and lauren still being in grief from the loss of her husband plus struggling with a (at the time) very sick newborn. However for the most part we have all been able to remain amicable and we all went to Anna's marriage to her coworker Lin about 6 months the ago.

Originally the plan re my wedding to Lauren was for all of us to travel to the destination together so that my eldest could be a bridesmaid, and our younger two could be flower girls.

However Anna and Lin have recently broken up and Anna has asked us to postpone our wedding out of respect to her, when I tried to explain that this is impossible as it would cost us a lot to do so she flew off the handle and accused me of deliberately hurting her, cheating on her with lauren (not true tho there was only a couple months between our split and meeting lauren), leaving her for a younger woman, called lauren a gold digger and threatened to ruin our wedding. I hung up on her and sent her an email uninviting her from our wedding due to her threat. She now says she is revoking consent to our daughters participation- I don't think this is fair on them and I don't want them to feel left out so I merely pointed out that the wedding is on my week and she doesn't get a say. AITA if I ignore her wishes?

Edited to add: there was an incident with a trip to NZ a bit over a year ago where Anna tried to stop the trip (she thought we were showing off our financial state/we were visiting Lauren's former inlaws so they could see her daughter/their granddaughter for the first time since covid) and we ended up having to involve lawyers so there is a precedent for me being able to take the girls overseas without Anna's permission so long as it doesn't affect her time with them.

I just realized I'm bi so I'm divorcing you so I can date and marry a woman wait how dare you move on so fast you obviously cheated on me.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Kurieg posted:

AITA for ignoring my ex-wifes wishes regarding having pur daughters in my wedding and uninviting her?

I just realized I'm bi so I'm divorcing you so I can date and marry a woman wait how dare you move on so fast you obviously cheated on me.

I'd love to hear this from the ex-wive's perspective. I bet it's not nearly the same story.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Of course the ex's story would be different because asking your ex to postpone their wedding (that's happening on their custodial week, even) because you got divorced again is a ridiculous ask and the kind of people who make those requests are probably extremely self centered. There's nothing in OP's story that suggests missing reasons.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I’m finding it hard to believe that enough people enjoyed middle school to justify a reunion; I loving hated middle school and just about everyone I know, both then and now, feels the same way.

Kurieg posted:

Did a literal :eyepop: at “postpone your wedding for the sake of my feelings”

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I’m finding it hard to believe that enough people enjoyed middle school to justify a reunion; I loving hated middle school and just about everyone I know, both then and now, feels the same way.

I barely remember middle school which leads me to believe if you were to have extremely fond memories of it your life probably didn't pan out the way you'd once hoped. :shrug:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nocheez posted:

I'd love to hear this from the ex-wive's perspective. I bet it's not nearly the same story.

Yeah, it would have a lot more about realizing you were gay as an adult with children and pursuing a relationship with a woman from your office

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Charles Leclerc posted:

I barely remember middle school which leads me to believe if you were to have extremely fond memories of it your life probably didn't pan out the way you'd once hoped. :shrug:

I can never remember what middle school years exactly were, is that like 5th grade through 8th grade? I remember freshman year in high school being technically 9th grade and then in 5th grade was when we started splitting up PE classes for boys and girls.

The only real middle school. I remember where there was a difference between 4th and 5th grade was when I lived in New Mexico and 5th through 8th graders had their own school with the special cafeteria that all of us kids and read them over because they actually had sponsored restaurants like subway. While we were stuck with the base cafeteria crap. I remember being so excited when I was about to graduate fourth grade but then we moved so I never got to see that Cibola cafeteria.

AITA for ‘forcing’ my girlfriend to appreciate my hobby?

quote:

We’re both 18.

I have an interest in martial arts, and have practiced/practice a decent amount: Judo, wrestling in high school, Muay Thai, karate.

The thing is, my girlfriend finds martial arts ‘silly’ and never comes to my tournaments because she says martial arts look stupid to her and she doesn’t want to laugh. Additionally she always rolls her eyes and says ‘hi-YAA’ mockingly whenever I bring it up.

I’ve generally found this upsetting. It’s something that’s really integral to my life, and I’m not asking my girlfriend to force an interest, but at least be respectful, yk? She has hobbies I have no interest in and find boring too but I don’t mock them because I recognize different things appeal to different people.

So I confronted her and said I wanted her to be more respectful and at the very least not say anything if she can’t appreciate it/say something nice. She got angry and said she’s not obligated to be nice or interested in a hobby that she’s not into, and I shouldn’t force her. I don’t think she’s obligated to be polite, but it’s just basic social norms to not mock stuff other people are passionate about.

AITA?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Kurieg posted:

hang them from a gibbet made out of the tree imo, if it turns out they're Scottish there's probably a law for.thst in northumberland

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Cowslips Warren posted:

:sever:

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Cowslips Warren posted:

It'd be a lot cooler to stage an attack where your skills save her but whining is fine too.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Charles Leclerc posted:

Broke: peaking in high school

Woke: peaking in middle school

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Middle school wasn't the only reason, but a significant one, why I opted not to have kids. Creating brand-new people and then subjecting them to the seventh grade felt completely inhumane.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kurieg posted:

All the countries with the Amazon Rainforest on them desperately need the tree law protections homeowners and popular Instagram trees seem to get.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for telling my friend her baby is the reason no one wants her around?

quote:

One of my (F24) friends, Anna (F24) had a baby around 6 months back. Our friendgroup is otherwise childless.

All of us used to hang out a lot before the baby was born. Baby changed dynamics because Anna wanted to bring the baby everywhere with her and its a baby. We tried to plan things around baby to include Anna but it always ended up badly. We shouldn't drink, cause Anna can't drink. We shouldn't be loud cause baby needs to sleep. Iceing on the cake is her baby is extremely fussy and cries all the time. It was just a downer for rest of us. So we started hanging out without Anna and her baby.

Last weekend all of us went on a staycation. We had a great time and posted photos and videos on instagram. Anna saw these and called me to ask why I did not ask her to come with. I tried telling her it was a last minute plan and we could only find a childfree resort so as to not hurt her feelings. She called my bluff sending me pics some random family had posted with kids at the resort.

She kept forcing me and I told her we did not want to hang out with her baby. She asked how can I say that about her baby.

I asked her to leave it at that but she wouldn't. I finally told her its a baby and we are all young. We don't want to live our life around a baby she chose to have. That we get to do adult stuff and party all we wanted. Her baby is the only reason she wasn't invited. If she left baby at home she can come too.

She got pissed off at me and called me a AH. She also sent a text in group chat saying she is disappointed in all of us for excluding her just because she is a mom.

Half of our friendgroup thinks I should not have told her the real reason and is mad at me. Other half thinks she is unreasonable.

AITA for telling her the truth?

From comments : we have tried to communicate to her about adults only events before. Other than openly saying don't come if you have to bring your baby.

She refuses to leave baby with her boyfriend or babysitter. Even when we say an event is adults only, like a dinner we had a few weeks ago, she still brought her baby. Baby cried throughout the night earning us glares and we had to leave early.

well, maybe half the friend group can go party with anna and her baby

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

All the countries with the Amazon Rainforest on them desperately need the tree law protections homeowners and popular Instagram trees seem to get.

wow that's gonna be an unpopular opinion for sure

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It is depending on if your livelihood depends on tearing it down for resources or farmland. Easy for me to say since all I want from it is air, carbon capture, and rare medicine from weird plants and animals

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cowslips Warren posted:

I can never remember what middle school years exactly were, is that like 5th grade through 8th grade? I remember freshman year in high school being technically 9th grade and then in 5th grade was when we started splitting up PE classes for boys and girls.

The only real middle school. I remember where there was a difference between 4th and 5th grade was when I lived in New Mexico and 5th through 8th graders had their own school with the special cafeteria that all of us kids and read them over because they actually had sponsored restaurants like subway. While we were stuck with the base cafeteria crap. I remember being so excited when I was about to graduate fourth grade but then we moved so I never got to see that Cibola cafeteria.

From what I gather 'middle' school is a bit of an oddity in the UK schooling system and apart from the one I went to, most kids just go to primary school and then secondary school. I went to one, years 5 thru 8 (US grade 4 - 7 I think would be equivalent?) and it was absorbed by the local high school years after I finished it. So you're talking ages 9 - 13. Seems weird to have any strong desire to hang out with people you happened to spend a few years with as a pre-teen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pur Daughters aren't cats this is hairballs!!!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I literally do not remember the name of a single person I went to middle school with, unless my band teacher counts

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wouldn't that be the walrus?

I still refer to him by his maiden name, Robotnik.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I went to an elite private school for grades 1-8 and they do reunions. I usually go for the decent dinner and free cigars (I don't smoke them, just collect them in a big pile)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for telling my wife she's deluded if she thinks she needs my boot dryer more than I do.

quote:

It is getting to be the rainy season where I work. It will rain for the next four or five months. Daily.

I was packing up my stuff to take to work and I was packing my boot dryer. My wife said she was hoping I could leave it at home since they need it too. I was interested do I asked why she needed it. She said that she does lunch supervision once a week and that our son shovels snow.

I proceeded to ask if this lunch supervision soaked her boots for ten hours a day for weeks on end and that the same question went for my son and his apparently constant snow shoveling.

She said no and that I was making her feel stupid and useless by pointing out that I actually need the boot dryer to be comfortable at my job.

I feel bad if I actually made her feel this way but I think an adult should be able to understand that stuff without being told.
EDIT

It turns out I'm definitely the rear end in a top hat. As I stated it takes weeks for deliveries here. There was a package waiting for me when I arrived at camp. My wife had purchased a new, very good, new boot dryer for me and was trying to surprise me. She didn't want me to lug my old one up. I have already called her and apologized.

:kimchi:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

oh jay posted:

Imagine being married to Carl Wheezer from Jimmy Neutron.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Kurieg posted:

quote:

Anna and I split 5 years ago when Anna realised she was bi and wanted to pursue a woman from her work

quote:

However Anna and Lin have recently broken up and Anna has asked us to postpone our wedding out of respect to her

quote:

she flew off the handle and accused me of....cheating on her with lauren (not true tho there was only a couple months between our split and meeting lauren), leaving her for a younger woman

Just :lol: glad he lawyered up, his ex is batshit

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my son he will not be taking over the family business and it is going to my daughter

I honestly don't see a fair way to solve this. I think it would be super lovely for the one kid to not get anything because he did t want to walk the same path his dad did, but the daughter is the one who put the work in. You can't really just divide the business because the son doesn't know how to run it.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

oh jay posted:

He's got the master plan

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for telling my wife she's deluded if she thinks she needs my boot dryer more than I do.

:kimchi:

This is why surprises usually suck unless you know how to pull it off well. My buddy and his wife hate each other because they tell stupid lies when they're trying to hide surprises.

If you aren't smart, then be upfront. "I need it more than you" was a stupid lie to tell him.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Nocheez posted:

This is why surprises usually suck unless you know how to pull it off well. My buddy and his wife hate each other because they tell stupid lies when they're trying to hide surprises.

If you aren't smart, then be upfront. "I need it more than you" was a stupid lie to tell him.

Why even stop him from taking the old one with him? Unless it was taking up valuable luggage space that could've been repurposed to smuggle diamonds or something. It's not like it is illegal to own two boot dryers simultaneously.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Exactly! There's a million better ways to handle it. Having a stupid fight because you're a bad liar, in an attempt to save a surprise for later is so silly.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

erosion posted:

It'd be a lot cooler to stage an attack where your skills save her but whining is fine too.

I feel like one Roland Pitre would tell you, don't even start down that road. Or if you do, maybe set some alarms first.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

wheatpuppy posted:

Why even stop him from taking the old one with him? Unless it was taking up valuable luggage space that could've been repurposed to smuggle diamonds or something. It's not like it is illegal to own two boot dryers simultaneously.

Sorry, local law actually does forbid it. It's a law from the 1890s that we really don't enforce, except...

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

MajorBonnet posted:

Sorry, local law actually does forbid it. It's a law from the 1890s that we really don't enforce, except...

But boots come in pairs! You need one for each boot!

(...I don't actually know what a boot dryer is. Google gave me everything from a plastic rack to upend your boots so they drip-dry, to a handheld hair dryer, to a fancy standalone heated contraption.)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DrManiac posted:

I honestly don't see a fair way to solve this. I think it would be super lovely for the one kid to not get anything because he did t want to walk the same path his dad did, but the daughter is the one who put the work in. You can't really just divide the business because the son doesn't know how to run it.

He doesn't have to not get anything, he just doesn't get the business

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for getting upset when family members suggest carriers for me?

quote:

So, for starters I am a second year college student studying Illustration and Sequential art, and I'm hoping to start a career in the comics industry after school. I'm very passionate about comics/graphic novels, and I'm hoping to be a Cover Artist or a Colorist in the industry someday. My problem is that my family members, especially my extended family (aunts, grandparents, etc.) keep suggesting different careers to me, the top 2 are Art Therapist and Tattoo artist. I have told them many times the reason's why I don't want either of those carriers, but a few family members (my mom and grandma especially) keep suggesting them. The reason my family thinks I should be an art therapist is because I'm considered to be a very empathetic person by them (and definitely not because they've used me as a personal therapist to dump their issues one since I was a child) and because I can draw.

Just because I can draw and I'm empathetic does not mean I should be an Art Therapist! I have Bipolar disorder, PTSD, and OCD, and I have a hard enough time taking care of myself and my own issues, it would be irresponsible of me to try and help others when I can barely help myself. And when it comes to being a tattoo artist, I would actually like to do that and I respect the art of Tattooing. However, I have a physical disability that gives me a hand tremor, I have to be very careful when drawing and inking because of this, and ctrl-z is my best friend. Again, it would be irresponsible of me to be inking people's skin when I have to use ctrl-z 80+ times when doing regular art.

The reason I think I'm the rear end in a top hat is because I let these feelings boil inside me until today, when my grandma sent me a link to a Tattoo artist apprenticeship. I snapped at her and said quite rudely that I was not going to be a Tattoo artist and to stop suggesting it to me. She got upset said snapped back that she was just making a suggestion. I'm just so tired of my family trying to get me to change potential career paths when I've already been in college for over a year. Am I being a jerk for being upset?

Added spacing. Good thing op isn't going into writing or proofreading work.

Posting just for the last line.

AITA for stroking a cat that isn't mine?

quote:

I know in the grand scheme of things that this is completely boring and a non-issue but I am not always good at telling if I did something wrong so lets do this.

So for context I (37f) live alone with my dog and because my garden backs onto fields, I get a lot of animal visitors. Hedgehogs, bats, birds, and cats. So many cats. I do not feed the cats. I don't like to encourage them because my dog despite being 14 and having the sort of walking speed that a snail could outrun, will chase them. But they like to visit still.

However one cat consistently visits and breaks into the house to snooze in my bathtub. Always disconcerting to go to the toilet at 3am to find a furry face looking back at you between the rubber duck and the loofah.

Anyway I know the owner and I am generally friendly with everyone. I have two neighbours in particular who since my father died have been helping me out (I am disabled and don't have a car because people object if you have a fit behind the wheel for some reason) with things like the garden and shopping. Owner (60m) for some reason doesn't like one of the neighbours. I don't know why and I don't ask because it's not my circus so I am not picking up the monkey poo poo flung everywhere.

This cat is always asking for fusses and belly rubs which, while I sit outside with my cup of tea, I am happy to do if the dog isn't watching and having a breakdown. He is not the only cat that joins me but today I was rubbing his belly and the owner was walking past. I said hello. I think it was hello. I am certain I didn't say "You have a face like a bucket of smashed crabs" or anything else insulting and owner just BLEW UP. He basically screamed at me to stop stroking his cat and he would never stroke my dog so leave the cat alone!

I didn't say anything back because I did not know how you respond to that. Did he believe that I was driving around the streets shaking a bag of cat treats and luring innocent kitties to my catnip house? The cat comes to me despite the dog and always asks for attention.

I suspect his mood on me is now soured because yesterday he saw me with the neighbour his dislikes who was taking me for a hospital appointment so now I can't play with his kitty. But because I can't always tell with my neurospicey brain if I did something bad, am I the arsehole here? Is it wrong to stroke a cat, even if they ask for attention if it isn't yours? I would let anyone stroke the dog BTW because he is an attention hoebag.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Whorelord posted:

hang them from a gibbet made out of the tree imo, if it turns out they're Scottish there's probably a law for.thst in northumberland

But... Northumberland is in England and Scotland has a completely separate legal system?