Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Runa posted:

Normally I'm not one to signal boost a kickstarter but this one's very close to their goal with just 48 hours to go and I really want to see them drag this over the finishing line. Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass was a fantastic if emotionally heavy journey and I trust Kasey Ozymy to make another solid game with a standout story.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hymntotheearlessgod/hymn-to-the-earless-god

(There's actually quite a few well-made Earthbound-alikes aren't there)

I was not expecting it to get this close, hopefully they can push it over the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Last Celebration posted:

Maybe Lloyd and Cecile? I guess you can read their relationship that way depending on your lack of faith in Falcom but also Falcom had no loving chill/subtlety wrt the “funny” joke in Cold Steel so maybe they’re not shipping the MC and his dead brother’s fiancée.

That's the only other thing I could think of but it never even hints at that

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Levantine posted:

Has anyone tried Mon-Yu? Steam has two reviews and there's no real discussion going on there either. I love me a good Experience game so I'm sure I'd like it on its face, but I'm reading it has some new level mechanics and rating mechanics for boss fights? How impactful are those things?

I've seen a couple of people play through it and talk about it; it seems surprisingly difficult. Like, surprisingly difficult for an Experience game, so calibrate your expectations accordingly. The highest difficulty setting basically forces a level cap on you that will always leave you underlevelled for boss fights, so you may have to respec and mess around with different builds to figure out something that works for each boss. The biggest thing I've heard people get annoyed about is the equipment system: you can level up your equipment by using it in battle to increase its stats, and because of the aforementioned level cap mechanic that's one of the main ways to gain power. Unfortunately this also means that whenever you finally need to trade up to new equipment, you've gotta level it all up again from scratch.

I also find the art style and theme kinda uninspiring but that's just me, and you can see for yourself whether those will bother you or not.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

At 71k out of a prospect of 112k with only three days of funding left, Hymn of the Earless God probably won't be going into production.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hymntotheearlessgod/hymn-to-the-earless-god

Well hush my mouth. Only 90 bucks to go.

.... And it hit the mark while I posted this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

A cocoon throbs.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I didn't play Jimmy for more than a couple minutes, but I'll give this one a chance and back it.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 27, 2023

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hunter Noventa posted:

Just started Chained Echoes last night, about 3 hours in and it's pretty fun so far. Though I'm a bit worried about the upgrade system since you can clearly spend money upgrading weapons/armor you'll replace. How much of a problem is that? Should I just not worry about it too much and upgrade what I can or what?

I went pretty wild with upgrades. You frequently pick up loot you can sell every time you talk to a merchant. This eventually nets you a ton of money. Even after buying all the "deals" that pop up after selling X items. I spent 100,000 on a cosmetic thing last night as I am in the end game and have very little to buy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah lloyd and cecille do uh. not end up as a couple. at all. she is not even one of the options for characters you can interact with to get relationship points with.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Blue Labrador posted:

I've been itching to try Wild Arms 3, and because it's on the older side of things, I was wanting to know if there was any missable/quality of life/true ending shenanigans I should be aware of before jumping in?

Years and years ago I played the 5th entry in the series, and while I remember it having some obtuse side content, I recall it being a pretty smooth experience in general.

It's been over a decade, but--I don't think the game signposts the Secret Garden too hard, which is where you can grow healing items. The game's fairly gentle and you probably won't need the stocks, but it can't hurt to look up where it is ahead of time. (Though IIRC there's a boss to beat there before you get the actual farming.)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you have to do a dungeon with a gimmick where your entire party is set to like, 1hp. easy to do if you've gotten to the point you can just skip all the encounters there but that might only be a while in

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

yeah lloyd and cecille do uh. not end up as a couple. at all. she is not even one of the options for characters you can interact with to get relationship points with.
yea i didn't mean that it was actually going in that direction but just that characters will act like the possibility is there, or Elie will get angry at Lloyd because of the way the two interact. they're not aggressive about it/rooting for it though, which was the worst aspect of sky third with Agate/Tita

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 27, 2023

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The gimmick is only for the post-boss half so it honestly isn’t even that bad if you go there as early as you can. I think I only had to use one or two gimmel coins for that part.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

it's real exciting to see Hymn pull past the finish line, I helped put together that final push trailer and it's been just an awesome upswell of support in da last few days

Kasey is a super nice dude and also really pours 'emself into projects, no doubt Hymn is gonna end up a very bizarre and interesting experience haha

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everdraed posted:

it's real exciting to see Hymn pull past the finish line, I helped put together that final push trailer and it's been just an awesome upswell of support in da last few days

Kasey is a super nice dude and also really pours 'emself into projects, no doubt Hymn is gonna end up a very bizarre and interesting experience haha

yooo nice

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah very glad that it eventually got a boost, seems like the extra tiers people asked him to add worked out for him.

Never been part of a tier that got to add text to the game tho, this'll be weird.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Glad to hear that it went well

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Don't visit this thread that often, but I noticed the title. After having recently played Fuga on Gamepass, I have to agree: Fuga est un jeu fantastique! I am kicking myself for not realizing I should've set the voices to French, though. Maybe I'll do that for the 2nd one.

While I'm here, I did recently put a review for Weird West in the Steam thread. Was also thinking of trying The Outer Worlds: I didn't gel with it the first time but I thought I might shake it up with a crazy build, if anyone has suggestions.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 28, 2023

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I really enjoyed the hell out of Fuga, another one of those games that just floated into my Steam recommendations and I decided to give it a try. I need to go back and finish snagging the achievements, I have almost all of them at this point. I've been keeping an eye on Fuga 2 for any potential sales since I'm little broke at this point.

I saw Izuna the Unemployed Ninja was getting rebooted a couple weeks ago and remembered I owned those games, so I've been chipping away at the first one. It's not the most original or well realized game I've ever played, but it has been nice to play a no-frills Mystery Dungeon style game with at least a few interesting mechanics. Now if I can just consistently remember to dump off money and items in the storage before I enter dungeons, I can have a much better time going forward with it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Playing the Octopath mobile gacha game now and it seems infinitely more chill than the SaGa one

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Might just be because it's newer. Those kinds of games tend to build up more and more... stuff over time.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Everdraed posted:

You're a nice person to help him. Kasey is such a sweet dude who really needs marketing help.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So it has the multiple campaigns taking place across the same realm like in a SaGa game, but I hope it is otherwise nothing like a SaGa game because Frontier was the only one I could get into.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Clarste posted:

Might just be because it's newer. Those kinds of games tend to build up more and more... stuff over time.

Yeah, I played Record Keeper for years until it was... too much. :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lloyd auditioning for a AAA game

the game's been mostly fine, maybe it's been too long since i played zero (an entire year!) but it feels a little pared back? like having the fast travel via car was a way of saying "look you're not going to be doing much new hiking this time around" and through the first 2 chapters the enemies on the overall overworld stayed the same, so it's like yeah.. they don't want you to hike around or get into many battles. it feels more solely narrative-focused with only maybe two dungeons per chapter (i think a reused part of geofront from zero and then a new geofront section in ch2, for example. i just did the first dungeon of ch3 (knox forest)). there's even a sidequest where you go back to stargazer tower and it's devoid of monsters so you just waltz up an empty dungeon with no chests. and then they have this Burst mechanic in dungeons which is like temporary Easy Mode where you can instantly cast spells, have two free rounds with your whole team, and auto-refill CP, almost like they just want you to blast through any combat and just experience the story.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 28, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Any goons here who tried that new Fate game? I know nothing about the series but it looks interesting from a glance.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It seems cool. Looking forward to playing it this weekend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

Any goons here who tried that new Fate game? I know nothing about the series but it looks interesting from a glance.

I don't either but it's... aggressively OK? It's in the same rough vein as Persona 5 Strikers but not quite as much of a coherent whole. It's fun enough for what it is and has some fun writing moments but it suffers heavily from the fact that they comitted to the whole "you play as Johnny Shitswords instead of the cool godlike characters for most of the playtime." It gets better once you get more skills but especially early on the whole "you can't actually hurt enemies until you chip them down" thing feels kinda bad, though it does emphasize how much better the Servants feel.

Saber is pretty drat adorable though, even if they drag out the truth of their identity way too long for something they make hilariously obvious five minutes into the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 28, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Yeah, didn't seem like something I'd want to blow 60 bucks on but I'm definitely wishlisting for a good sale

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
That Loop 8 retrospective is baffling. It doesn't even seem to be a good idea held back by its budget (though I'm sure that didn't help), it feels more like they came up with a compelling concept (play out your day to day life in a small town, building relationships with the villagers that influence how they act as an enemy or a party member) but didn't have any idea of how to translate that into a playable game, so you just mash social interactions like you're trying to get a promotion in The Sims.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

That Loop 8 retrospective is baffling. It doesn't even seem to be a good idea held back by its budget (though I'm sure that didn't help), it feels more like they came up with a compelling concept (play out your day to day life in a small town, building relationships with the villagers that influence how they act as an enemy or a party member) but didn't have any idea of how to translate that into a playable game, so you just mash social interactions like you're trying to get a promotion in The Sims.
they said 'we want to make a gunparade march followup' to someone and someone els said 'okay, heres five bucks. what, arent you going to make your gunparade march followup? go. go do it.'

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

doesnt help that the timeloop was clearly bolted on in late dev given that you have to repeat conversations every time (lol)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i watched that loop8 video and my main take away is how sad it is that I have never got to play a game of tragedy looper in my life despite owning a copy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stexils posted:

doesnt help that the timeloop was clearly bolted on in late dev given that you have to repeat conversations every time (lol)
the time loop was probably bolted on to try and stretch out the thin content on the ground, yeah. gunparade march doesnt really have anything like it, rather it more naturally encourages you to try again/reload with the variance in its systems. but loop8 is basically just 'well you didnt become friends with this person so theyre gonna murder you'

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Snooze Cruise posted:

i watched that loop8 video and my main take away is how sad it is that I have never got to play a game of tragedy looper in my life despite owning a copy

:smith::hf::smith:

I've only played it once. I want to play again so bad!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

the time loop was probably bolted on to try and stretch out the thin content on the ground, yeah. gunparade march doesnt really have anything like it, rather it more naturally encourages you to try again/reload with the variance in its systems. but loop8 is basically just 'well you didnt become friends with this person so theyre gonna murder you'

Just like real life!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Snooze Cruise posted:

I own a copy and the expansion and have played maybe three games, twice as the mastermind - couldn't even get through more than one loop before they won because I was so terrible at it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ooh I'm gonna buy that and play it with my wife and roommate

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder if Loop8 is a worse time loop game than that Little Witch Academia game that came out a few years ago.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

the only Little Witches In Academia Time Loop Game I recognize is Grim Grimoire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a few of the other gpm successors experimented with game structure in generally more interesting ways also. gunparade orchestra tried out being a full-on episodic deal with each game representing a different "season" and evangelion 2: evangelions structured the game around different scenarios you'd play through with different protagonists who have different goals, so you'll have the shinji/rei/asuka stuff where you're essentially playing the events of the anime and you have to balance daily life with the big scripted fights, and a bunch of other scenarios where you can just play as a whole assortment of random characters, like the penpen scenario in the psp port where literally all you do is hang around in misato's apartment and nag her to buy you stuff. iirc there's one scenario where all you do is play as the one lady who has the hots for ritsuko

there's also a funny ps2-exclusive scenario in that game that's literally just endless shinji slice of life mode where nothing happens ever and you just hang out for eternity, and the relationship values start out with kaworu at maxed out affection