Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I listen to a terrible one called “Galactic Horrors” that I’m 90% certain is written by ChatGPT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I signed up for autopay last month because they’re supposed to discount $5 per line if you do, which for me would be $20 a month.

They billed me the same amount they always do.

My experience was that no matter when in the month you sign up for the autopay $5 discount, it'll still take at least one extra billing cycle before the discount shows up. You'll probably see the discount start on your next bill.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Professor Shark posted:

I listen to a terrible one called “Galactic Horrors” that I’m 90% certain is written by ChatGPT

Lol I just started an episode of this and I am certain it is, given the AI art and AI voice and daily episodes

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I can't be certain, but I think my life would be measurably better if Febreeze brought back their original scent.

... Because it would remind me of my first apartment, and the last time I was happy. Like 20 years ago.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

My experience was that no matter when in the month you sign up for the autopay $5 discount, it'll still take at least one extra billing cycle before the discount shows up. You'll probably see the discount start on your next bill.

It was a new billing cycle so I figured it should have activated. Anyway customer service told me I’m actually not able to get the discount because I’m grandfathered into an old plan lol.

The plan I’m on is half the price of the new plans so I guess I’ll take that :shrug:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Lol I just started an episode of this and I am certain it is, given the AI art and AI voice and daily episodes

Once I caught onto the “Where once ______,” line I couldn’t stop hearing it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Triikan posted:

Remember when some people were burning podcasts onto cds, so the podcasts limited themselves to 74 minutes?

I used to do that because my car only had a cd player and I could only play them through a computer.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I paid for a month of ChatGPT and tried to use it to come up with ideàs for a short story I was working on and its ideas ended up being good enough that they infuriated me so I'm not sure why I did it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I prompted 'Write an award winning novel' and dumped out a paragraph so mediocre I think the program developed sentience and did it on purpose.

There's never enough popcorn or liquorice jelly belly beans. Even if you get them from the bulk aisle.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Please subscribe to my pudcast.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You need to download the app for my parents' ISP to do any sort of mucking about with the router and modem. I don't know if I've complained about this here or somewhere else on the forums but it pisses me off.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I paid for a month of ChatGPT and tried to use it to come up with ideàs for a short story I was working on and its ideas ended up being good enough that they infuriated me so I'm not sure why I did it

lol 0wned

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Outrail posted:

I prompted 'Write an award winning novel' and dumped out a paragraph so mediocre I think the program developed sentience and did it on purpose.

There's never enough popcorn or liquorice jelly belly beans. Even if you get them from the bulk aisle.

I mean, did you specify which award you wanted to win?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Beastie posted:

You need to download the app for my parents' ISP to do any sort of mucking about with the router and modem. I don't know if I've complained about this here or somewhere else on the forums but it pisses me off.

My ISP told me this, but I was still able to log into the router normally by guessing the default password. Also the only thing the app lets you do besides look at data usage is remotely change the wifi password, which you'd need to do because ???

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

rafikki posted:

I mean, did you specify which award you wanted to win?

No, but it didn't win any.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cerekk posted:

Podcasts are a scourge. Yeah let me waste a whole hour listening to some dipshit instead of reading for 5 minutes. Their only redeeming characteristic is that you have to deliberately seek them out, unlike when you're trying to read an article and instead there's a loving video.

Goddamn dude. How do you feel about a friend telling you a story? Or a professor giving a lecture?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I still do not want to download an app, or join a rewards club, or get 10% off my next order, I just want to order something from your website.

Stop trying to make me give you more information when all I want to do is give you money!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Beastie posted:

I complained and the ISP was Rogers

But based on the model of router I think some US ISPs are experimenting with this fuckery as well

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Triikan posted:

Remember when some people were burning podcasts onto cds, so the podcasts limited themselves to 74 minutes?

There's only probably 3 to 4 year period where this behavior would be both possible and make any sense, since you need easy home CD burning and no high capacity digital storage music players.

It is kinda wild how many formats came and went in the last 30 years. VHS lasted like 15, DVDs about the same, burned CDs for like 10 years unless your car didn't have an AUX jack. I used to burn DVDs for backups and now all that poo poo is probably rotted and I don't care because hard drives are huge and there's cloud storage for the rest.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

StormDrain posted:

Goddamn dude. How do you feel about a friend telling you a story? Or a professor giving a lecture?

Like most internet slap fights, Reductionism will surely be helpful to this discussion

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Triikan posted:

Please tell me you made this up.

edit: apparently yes but apparently no

Random Stranger posted:

I used to do that because my car only had a cd player and I could only play them through a computer.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 29, 2023

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Time_pants posted:

Please tell me you made this up.

That actually makes perfect sense in the early days of smart phones, back before most cars had an 3.5 mm input (let alone bluetooth / a USB port). You just had a CD player, so if you wanted to listen to a podcast while driving, you might as well just burn it to a CD and listen to it that way.

Hell, my wife's car (a Camry from the turn of the century, which will live forever) still doesn't have a 3.5 mm input -- we use an adapter to plug her phone into the cassette player.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

That actually makes perfect sense in the early days of smart phones, back before most cars had an 3.5 mm input (let alone bluetooth / a USB port). You just had a CD player, so if you wanted to listen to a podcast while driving, you might as well just burn it to a CD and listen to it that way.

Hell, my wife's car (a Camry from the turn of the century, which will live forever) still doesn't have a 3.5 mm input -- we use an adapter to plug her phone into the cassette player.

Yep, and as I posted I absolutely did this. I had a 40 minute commute at 10pm; burning a show to CD cost me a dime.

I still have that car that only has a CD player, it's old enough to drink at this point and shows no signs of dying.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

StormDrain posted:

Nah I get it.

Just get to the point already, if I'm listening to a podcast titled 'how to understand deer behavior in the rain at dusk', I don't care what you and your kids had for dinner last night. Just tell me about deer behavior in the rain at dusk, that's why I'm listening.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Gloomhaven on Steam just got an ‘update’ to add console support (not done by the original developer) and they broke everything and enshittened all the textures down to potato quality

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

DoctorTristan posted:

Gloomhaven on Steam just got an ‘update’ to add console support (not done by the original developer) and they broke everything and enshittened all the textures down to potato quality

gloomhaven owns

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

StormDrain posted:

Both the friend and professor are real life experiences that develop connections with actual human beings.

I actually love podcasts but am picky about them because yes, there's so much mediocre trash out there that's some bozo telling a boring story while I wait for them to get to the goddamn point.

They're kinda like books - there's a lot of middling junk out there created just to hit a deadline, while the really good stuff that stands out is the kinda thing that takes someone years to investigate/research and put together in a presentable manner.

For every In the Dark, there's ten, nay twenty, My Favorite Murder style podcasts.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

pencilhands posted:

gloomhaven owns

At least it did.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Brother Tadger posted:

Like most internet slap fights, Reductionism will surely be helpful to this discussion

At least posting on the internet hasn't gotten worse. It's just always been bad.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

DoctorTristan posted:

So that's what's going on, we noticed some glitches when we played on Wednesday. A weird bug that only affected any one of us at a time where when you're selecting cards, hovering over the card title wouldn't cause the actual card to pop up so you could confirm what it did. It happened to me one round, then fixed itself but affected another player, then fixed itself for them and affected a third player. Really weird behavior.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Ritz crackers ain’t hitting like they used to.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I looked down and this pop-up appeared on my phone. I don't really know what it means, but I know it's about to make my battery even shittier! Thanks Google :waycool:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They raised the price of Doritos and the seasoning is very light on the chips.

I wonder if they’ll start offering Doritos Original only if you subscribe to the FritoPlus subscription

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

skooma512 posted:

They raised the price of Doritos and the seasoning is very light on the chips.

last time they sold Taco-flavored Doritos here, my favorite and the original flavor, they tasted like corn chips. It was :sad:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

One of the streaming TV apps I use has removed the ability to enable subtitles in the app. I have to go to the website, log into my account and enable it there. However, even after doing that subtitles won't show when using chromecast.

How do you gently caress up subtitles this bad in 2023?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I forget if it’s Apple or Disney, but the cc are hard to enable. Netflix has it down to three clicks that you can intuitively find.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I forget if it’s Apple or Disney, but the cc are hard to enable. Netflix has it down to three clicks that you can intuitively find.

Disney subtitles are so bad. And they take up like, one fifth of the screen. Amazon prime is the only one that does subtitles well, you can make them really loving small if you want, and change fonts and background.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Related, I hate how sometimes when a character isn't speaking English the show's translation subtitles get covered with a close caption stating they're speaking a foreign language.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Spotify started showing an alert nag if there's newly released podcasts for channels you follow. I have (had) a bunch I was following so it was coming up every hour without any way to turn it off. Just had unsubscribe to all of them. gently caress you spotify. Hire some competent designers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

A Strange Aeon posted:

So that's what's going on, we noticed some glitches when we played on Wednesday. A weird bug that only affected any one of us at a time where when you're selecting cards, hovering over the card title wouldn't cause the actual card to pop up so you could confirm what it did. It happened to me one round, then fixed itself but affected another player, then fixed itself for them and affected a third player. Really weird behavior.

Yeah many people have been reporting that issue (among a whole host of others).

Apparently it’s possible to get the old version back by switching to the beta channel - even the current devs mention this as an option on the steam forums which shows the level of confidence they have in their work. I think my group is probably going to have to do that, though I’m not looking forward to talking three people through the process