Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ironically google is so riddled with inaccurate AI written articles now that we get to experience the confusion of playground video game rumors all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Also you have to ask actual people for tips because it's impossible to Google anything.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah basically all useful information being contained on closed discord servers means it's basically the Dark Ages of internet information lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fortunately we know for a fact that putting all your eggs in one basket that belongs to a notoriously unprofitable and increasingly desperate company won't have any repercussions at all.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Can finally add myself to the list of people who beat the game.
Definitely having some feelings there at the ending, mainly a combination of Sad But Not Really Surprised, and confused at the post-credits scene. Well, just the one part of the post-credits scene.

Really wish there had been more of an epilogue, though I guess that what happened to the rest of the main cast wasn't really the point of the story.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

the_steve posted:

Can finally add myself to the list of people who beat the game.
Definitely having some feelings there at the ending, mainly a combination of Sad But Not Really Surprised, and confused at the post-credits scene. Well, just the one part of the post-credits scene.

Really wish there had been more of an epilogue, though I guess that what happened to the rest of the main cast wasn't really the point of the story.

That remains to be seen because they just announced 2 DLCs for the game without any specifics but those could be pretty substantial like the Yuffie dlc in FF7R

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I don’t mind having a dozen side quests thrown at you at the end but only like three of them felt appropriate for what was going on in the main quest line.

With how rushed the last few story quests felt, I wouldn’t be surprised if most of those side quests were originally meant to happen earlier but after rewrites or cut content, they had nowhere else to put them.

Though it wasn’t the first time they unlocked a bunch of side quests at an inappropriate time either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meteor is falling, time to go raise Chocobos

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I'm fine with the abstraction/accepted trope that the final fight of any game will safely hold off until you've done all the other content you want to see, it's just a video game thing that always has been true and always will be unless the game is going out of its way to do something different.

On a broader note I think JRPG sidequests specifically are getting to being a no-win kind of prospect; the days of obscure, game-long missable sidequest chains are probably on the out in the most mainstream entries because it's not actually much fun learning you've missed something interesting at the end of the game because you didn't walk back halfway across the world map to watch a 5 second cutscene in the back room of a house, which you had to do between leaving one town and before you entered the next with no warning that it was possible (see: some of the event chains in Tales of Vesperia, and I think FFX-2 had similar issues if you wanted to do everything.)

Similarly sidequests which are long and vague treasure hunts/grinds like some of the ones in the Wild Arms game on PS2 aren't tremendously fun either because you burn yourself out on wanting to play the game in order to get an item that means you're so overpowered the endgame is trivial.

Most people remember the cool and interesting game-long or multi-part sidequests like Chrono Trigger's history changing, the World of Ruin in FF6 and parts of the bounty hunts and treasure hunts in Skies of Arcadia as what they were all like, rather than stuff like Arioch in Wild Arms 3 (trigger a rare random encounter in a dungeon, then go to a different dungeon and do the same, repeat this 100 times against a monster that gets slightly stronger each time).

I think a series that generally does a similar model of parcelling out sidequests to FF16 and does it well is the Trails games (Sky/Cold Steel/Zero) - each chapter generally has a number of sidequests you're alerted to, and one or two that are hidden from the quest log but found by looking for something interesting happening in town (like a police checkpoint to trigger one about catching an escaped criminal, for example).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ImpAtom posted:

Fortunately we know for a fact that putting all your eggs in one basket that belongs to a notoriously unprofitable and increasingly desperate company won't have any repercussions at all.

Unity cannot fail, it can only be failed!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just finished this and really loved it. Does anyone have any good videos of masters doing S-rank (or whatever the equivalent is in this game) versions of the hardest missions?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The side quests are really fun to do when football is on commercial.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

fadam posted:

Just finished this and really loved it. Does anyone have any good videos of masters doing S-rank (or whatever the equivalent is in this game) versions of the hardest missions?
This person seems to know what they’re doing on the hardest difficulty (Ultimaniac in Arcade mode) and it’s a sight to behold. Good luck figuring out how to do some of this stuff, but at least they offer some insight in the comments

https://youtu.be/MPHHTISBIqk?si=YqpiWv2mDz9Kf6mb

EDIT: Except he only gets a B rank here lol. I think getting S rank is actually a lot easier than what this guy is doing, although they changed the way scoring works in the latest patch to avoid some cheesy strats

Boy of Joy fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 16, 2023

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So I'm still not finished with the game yet despite being at the literal doorstep of the final mission (Baldur's Gate sucked up 90% of my free time) but I just got to the part where Mid decided not to build the airship for which she had me scrounging for parts all game because it would :airquote: cause wars :airquote: or whatever and I wanted to throw her off the loving balcony :buddy:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BrianWilly posted:

So I'm still not finished with the game yet despite being at the literal doorstep of the final mission (Baldur's Gate sucked up 90% of my free time) but I just got to the part where Mid decided not to build the airship for which she had me scrounging for parts all game because it would :airquote: cause wars :airquote: or whatever and I wanted to throw her off the loving balcony :buddy:

I almost kind of respect the fact that we never get an airship. I mean, I saw hints that maybe we would throughout the plot, like the New Hideaway being the hull of an old airship that could have gotten restored somehow or Mid converting the Enterprise, but everytime I thought "Ok, this is where it'd happen", the game said "Nope!"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

i threw it on the list of they ran out of budget and made something up

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Mid bravely defaulted.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
My only issue with the side quests, and really the game as a whole now that I’ve finished it, is the pacing. I was fine with them dumping a ton on you at the point of no return because those quests pretty much all have rewarding character moments, and there’s enough variety between them and the hunts that it’s easy to space them out. But dumping a bunch on you when you get to the Mid quest chain, or when you first get to the whole Crimson Caravans area, both of which already feel like filler arcs, was exhausting.

Loved the game beyond that though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

the_steve posted:

I almost kind of respect the fact that we never get an airship. I mean, I saw hints that maybe we would throughout the plot, like the New Hideaway being the hull of an old airship that could have gotten restored somehow or Mid converting the Enterprise, but everytime I thought "Ok, this is where it'd happen", the game said "Nope!"

It is a bit of a cockblock, but it would kind of ruin the whole “secret society we have to take great pains to hide lest every kingdom on the planet comes to wipe us out” thing if Clive owned the one and only working airship

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CharlestonJew posted:

It is a bit of a cockblock, but it would kind of ruin the whole “secret society we have to take great pains to hide lest every kingdom on the planet comes to wipe us out” thing if Clive owned the one and only working airship

Come to think of it, I'm honestly kind of surprised that The Executors never tried to blackbag Mid. I mean, their whole thing was suppressing information that they didn't want the general populace getting hold of, but they only showed up for that one sidequest of Vivian's.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I just got the third Eikon set of powers and am kinda bored with this. I'm not even halfway done am I? I'm having fun some of the time but not enough that I wanna spend another 20 or more hours on it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah you're like a 3rd of the way through

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Mid's entire point is that she could probably do it but the end result in the current war-torn state of the world would be someone using it to instantly replace Eikons as the "kill everyone helplessly from above" method of choice and she refused to accept that. She was perfectly willing to build it and hide it until some point where people's default response to an airship wouldn't be "boy, imagine how great it would be to use these to drop bombs on the undesirables.

Considering half of everyone Mid knows are Eikons including at least two who were literally enslaved and forced to murder people, it's pretty understandable she is gunshy about introducing a new method of mass murder to the world just because she's scientifically curious.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mid sucks. Her fetch quests are the worst in the game. She's hyped as being super smart but she actually doesn't invent a single thing the whole game, she either rediscovers something Cid already invented or gets Clive to work it out. The fact that she then decides to scrap the work you've done all game because of the possibility that someone might do something bad with it is incredibly aggravating. It's also really dumb, it's an engine. It's not a weapon or anything that's an immediate danger. But an engine would be really helpful in putting the pieces of the world back together. No? Just gonna let people break their backs instead? gently caress you Mid.

ImpAtom posted:

Mid's entire point is that she could probably do it but the end result in the current war-torn state of the world would be someone using it to instantly replace Eikons as the "kill everyone helplessly from above" method of choice and she refused to accept that. She was perfectly willing to build it and hide it until some point where people's default response to an airship wouldn't be "boy, imagine how great it would be to use these to drop bombs on the undesirables.

Considering half of everyone Mid knows are Eikons including at least two who were literally enslaved and forced to murder people, it's pretty understandable she is gunshy about introducing a new method of mass murder to the world just because she's scientifically curious.

As I recall she never figures out how to recreate airship tech. She can't even make a toy one fly. It's the mythril engine she scraps.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 20, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jolo posted:

I just got the third Eikon set of powers and am kinda bored with this. I'm not even halfway done am I? I'm having fun some of the time but not enough that I wanna spend another 20 or more hours on it.

The slow trickle of abilities can make the game drag on for sure. You’re at the point where things are going to pick up and the middle third of the game is probably the best part. The next two Eikon fights are awesome and the story flows along smoothly. I liked the plot and characters a lot. If the next section doesn’t grab you it probably isn’t worth continuing.

It helps if you get good at killing trash mobs and mini-boss enemies as quickly as possible. You don’t have a ton of abilities yet but you get some awesome ones pretty soon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Mid sucks. Her fetch quests are the worst in the game. She's hyped as being super smart but she actually doesn't invent a single thing the whole game, she either rediscovers something Cid already invented or gets Clive to work it out. The fact that she then decides to scrap the work you've done all game because of the possibility that someone might do something bad with it is incredibly aggravating. It's also really dumb, it's an engine. It's not a weapon or anything that's an immediate danger. But an engine would be really helpful in putting the pieces of the world back together. No? Just gonna let people break their backs instead? gently caress you Mid.

As I recall she never figures out how to recreate airship tech. She can't even make a toy one fly. It's the mythril engine she scraps.

No, her active stated goal is to figure it out and she's confident she can.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

It’s because they ran out of budget

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Now that I'm at the sidequest dump, I know why they did it:

Without that content you'd hardly get to use Odin before New Game Plus.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I finished Final Fantasy difficulty at level 93, have the best gear, and never had problems with the story outside of the fight with the last dominant, but God drat chronology trials kick my rear end. I love combat in this game and I'm kinda excited to learn how to effectively use abilities I've ignored until now. I wish there was more hard content where I can learn how some abilities interact more, like chronology trials but with preset pairings from multiple eikons. Will-o-the-wikes and Lightning Rod is such an insane combo and I wonder how other skills intersect like that.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I finished Final Fantasy difficulty at level 93, have the best gear, and never had problems with the story outside of the fight with the last dominant, but God drat chronology trials kick my rear end. I love combat in this game and I'm kinda excited to learn how to effectively use abilities I've ignored until now. I wish there was more hard content where I can learn how some abilities interact more, like chronology trials but with preset pairings from multiple eikons. Will-o-the-wikes and Lightning Rod is such an insane combo and I wonder how other skills intersect like that.

The lazy boss-killer is Rod + Gigaflare. Preferably stagger the boss first - set up rod at the start and then it should be off-cooldown by stagger-time.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ImpAtom posted:

But by the time Mid decides to scrap the project, there are literally no nations left on the continent to wage a war. The entirety of the existing political structure is just Clive's uncle and his pals. The worst they could do is drop bombs on Akashic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZiegeDame posted:

But by the time Mid decides to scrap the project, there are literally no nations left on the continent to wage a war. The entirety of the existing political structure is just Clive's uncle and his pals. The worst they could do is drop bombs on Akashic.

There are going to be new groups that rise up and with the stated goal being 'we have an uncertain future' violence is very likely.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ZiegeDame posted:

That is very much not true. Clive's uncle and pals are the only ones currently trying to mount a unified effort at restoring stability on-screen that we see, but there are still plenty of government authority figures holed up in private estates or whatever who were just trying to ride this out or do their own things. They just don't have anything to do with us in the main story, so we aren't being shown them.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

the_steve posted:

That is very much not true. Clive's uncle and pals are the only ones currently trying to mount a unified effort at restoring stability on-screen that we see, but there are still plenty of government authority figures holed up in private estates or whatever who were just trying to ride this out or do their own things. They just don't have anything to do with us in the main story, so we aren't being shown them.

"These people are never shown or mentioned, but they totally exist and are a problem" kinda encapsulates everything that's wrong with the storytelling in this game.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ZiegeDame posted:

"These people are never shown or mentioned, but they totally exist and are a problem" kinda encapsulates everything that's wrong with the storytelling in this game.

I disagree in this case because the story isn't about them. The world goes on and people are living their lives regardless of whether or not Clive is there to be involved. His story at that point was about going after Ultima, not playing SimCity

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

the_steve posted:

His story at that point was about going after playing Ultima, not playing SimCity

Why not Wing Commander and Deus Ex too?

Edit: Seriously though, you're right. While I don't really feel the game deserves the 'Game of Thrones Final Fantasy' label (that goes to FFT and XII) outside of Aesthetics, I do think the idea that there's movers and shakers outside the scope of the story being told is decently established.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 27, 2023

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Not actually being able to go visit the big cities and towns outside of dungeons was kinda lame though. Even FF14 gets you two-ish big cities per expansion which feel more substantial than Northreach and Dalimil.

It's the same mistake that Dragon Age Inquisition made a decade ago - big MMO style zones that have no worth when all the bespoke mission stuff in the same game is better.

Big empty landscapes are not gameplay if the traversal mechanics aren't interesting. Walking 10 steps to the next encounter is always better than walking 100.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 28, 2023

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The thing that annoyed me about Mid's finale is that I'm at the part of the game where everyone is saying magic is really bad actually and will get everyone killed, and now they're also saying technology is also really bad and will also get everyone killed, so I'm just like...Okay?? The gently caress you want everyone to do then, Final Fantasy XVI? Live in caves and poo poo in rivers? :catstare:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

well...at the end
time has passed for a crazy amount of time that everything that happened is considered a fairy tale. and yet everyone IS still living in huts with flint to make fire at a technology level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

The thing that annoyed me about Mid's finale is that I'm at the part of the game where everyone is saying magic is really bad actually and will get everyone killed, and now they're also saying technology is also really bad and will also get everyone killed, so I'm just like...Okay?? The gently caress you want everyone to do then, Final Fantasy XVI? Live in caves and poo poo in rivers? :catstare:

She doesn't say all technology, just the one specific technology she fears being weaponized in the near future.

GateOfD posted:

well...at the end
time has passed for a crazy amount of time that everything that happened is considered a fairy tale. and yet everyone IS still living in huts with flint to make fire at a technology level

They have printed books and actual furnishings. They're not fuckin' cave people. Flint being used to start fires was incredibly common for a good chunk of human history.