Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Bumhead posted:

The Steam Deck is my only computer and gaming device, too.

Sometimes I play it handheld, sometimes I stick it on the dock that’s got a monitor, mouse and keyboard plugged in and ready to go. Because of the types of games I play, just about everything works perfectly in both modes with whisper quiet performance and good battery life.

I absolutely love it. It’s genuinely the culmination of everything I’ve wanted from gaming hardware for years.

The fans are one thing I am concerned about. It seems like it is still random if you will get an awful fan that is super loud or one that is reasonably quiet. Or has that changed with later revisions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Boar It posted:

The fans are one thing I am concerned about. It seems like it is still random if you will get an awful fan that is super loud or one that is reasonably quiet. Or has that changed with later revisions?

I think the actual volume is mostly the same, but the bad fan has more of a high-pitched whine to it, which is what makes it more annoying. I know that they added some foam bits to the case to mitigate the problem, but I don't know how much of a difference that really makes. I know people with the "bad" fan who don't really mind it. Depends on how susceptible you are to being annoyed to that specific sound range, I guess.

Installing a better fan really isn't difficult though, provided it's in stock long enough for you to order it (sold on ifixit).

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 28, 2023

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

So apparently steam achievement manager has a version that can run on steam deck, might be a compromise for playing offline games where achievements don't work offline, that I complained about couple pages back

https://github.com/PaulCombal/SamRewritten/pull/142#issuecomment-1336530106 (I haven't tried this)

The main SamRewritten AppImage doesn't work on deck which is why this obscure alternative AppImage is needed

veni veni veni posted:

shmup sale is perfect for deck.

Ikaruga on Steam Deck is glorious.

:allears:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ikaruga just kicks rear end in general, but despite being 22 years old still looks amazing and on the little deck screen it looks fantastic. Plus you can just map polarity and bombs to the back buttons and run it all day at a rock solid fps. I'm still bad at it but Steam Deck is the best place for Ikaruga.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Boar It posted:

Not sure about the current state of play if you were to buy a Deck today. I've had mine for almost exactly a year. I would describe the fan noise as "disruptive" to my enjoyment of playing games on this thing that really get the fans going, along with the warm temps and general performance compromises, although as I say that's rarely an issue for me given the types of games I play. And maybe I'm just fussy.

I played the RE4 and Dead Space remakes start to finish on this thing and enjoyed them plenty, but shoehorning 2023 AAA games onto the Deck just isn't my primary use case for it. Maybe a quieter fan would extend your mileage on those types of games?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I think I lucked out on the fans for mine, Starfield chews through the battery and runs hot but the blower isn't any louder. Contrasted with the shipbuilder on my main pc which cranks up all the fans to max for some reason.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Badly Jester posted:

I think the actual volume is mostly the same, but the bad fan has more of a high-pitched whine to it, which is what makes it more annoying. I know that they added some foam bits to the case to mitigate the problem, but I don't know how much of a difference that really makes. I know people with the "bad" fan who don't really mind it. Depends on how susceptible you are to being annoyed to that specific sound range, I guess.

Installing a better fan really isn't difficult though, provided it's in stock long enough for you to order it (sold on ifixit).

I used to almost exclusively play games via Geforce NOW (Nvidia's cloud streaming thing) for almost two years. The only thing I miss about it is the total absence of noise and heat while gaming. But it seems like the refreshed version that ships now has a different fan. iFixit sells it as well but I would assume it is the same one that comes pre-installed? I am unsure since I recall people mentioning at least two different fans early on where one was worse than the other. Probably not a huge deal either way, especially since it is replaceable. And to my knowledge tinkering with the internals does not void the warranty? (Provided you don't break things)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

veni veni veni posted:

shmup sale is perfect for deck.

Ikaruga on Steam Deck is glorious.

Really? I assumed it'd be difficult since Ikaruga was designed with a vertical screen orientation in mind. That's why I bought a monitor with a full 90° swivel.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Man, steam deck is a land of contrasts I guess. Admittedly mine is brand new so I don't know if I've got Good Fans or something, but even playing battery drainers like BG3 the noise is just kind of there. Mils quieter than my desktop at any rate. Also impossible to hear at all if I'm using headphones, which is usually.

I've yet to notice any heat issue. I mean, yeah, the screen and the back will get hot to the touch after an hour of tooling around Act 3 BG3, but it's not really noticable since I'm not touching those parts of the unit at all. The bit along the bottom edge where it tends to rest on my belly/leg stays cool enough, and the controller bits that I'm actually holding don't get noticeably warmer at all, beyond what my body heat does.

In other news the old Bomber Crew game is loving amazing on deck and has me seriously considering buying the sequels.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Years of pc gaming in the beforetimes have prepared me for fan volumes your fragile baby ears can only dream of

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Years of pc gaming in the beforetimes have prepared me for fan volumes your fragile baby ears can only dream of

Ca. 2004 PC gaming when you were a cheap rear end broke college student and couldn't afford to replace fans when they got unballanced.

Gaming with the side of your PC off both in a vain attempt to cool the internals and keep fan speeds down and also so you could lean in and tap that one motherfucker of an 80mm when it started ticking.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, steam deck is a land of contrasts I guess.

Personal preference and the sheer flexibility of the device come into play, too.

Maximising the performance of something like Starfield or Cyberpunk 2077 on the Steam Deck is a fascinating use case for this hardware, but personally I gravitate more towards the other end. My Deck is basically a mobile PC from circa 1994-2004. I love playing old poo poo that might have melted my PC's of yesteryear and cranking down that wattage, maximising the battery, seeing them fly at high frame rates and performance on a handheld without the fans even breaking a sweat.. yeah, give me that poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bumhead posted:

Personal preference and the sheer flexibility of the device come into play, too.

Maximising the performance of something like Starfield or Cyberpunk 2077 on the Steam Deck is a fascinating use case for this hardware, but personally I gravitate more towards the other end. My Deck is basically a mobile PC from circa 1994-2004. I love playing old poo poo that might have melted my PC's of yesteryear and cranking down that wattage, maximising the battery, seeing them fly at high frame rates and performance on a handheld without the fans even breaking a sweat.. yeah, give me that poo poo.

Yeah, I'm doing both at the moment. My gaming yesterday was a few hours of BG3, followed by an hour and a half of getting a controller setup built out for X Wing: Alliance. Even money I'm installing Tie Fighter by the end of the month.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ca. 2004 PC gaming when you were a cheap rear end broke college student and couldn't afford to replace fans when they got unballanced.

Gaming with the side of your PC off both in a vain attempt to cool the internals and keep fan speeds down and also so you could lean in and tap that one motherfucker of an 80mm when it started ticking.

I wish it was ticking in my case. Instead I sometimes got this horrible buzzing/grinding vibration that penetrated my headphones.

I would have to firmly hit the center of the fan assembly with the butt of a screwdriver a couple times a day until I finally got fed up and replaced it.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Got PS5 streaming working yesterday with Chiaki4Deck and it works like a dream. One thing though, the framerate is a little choppy - not inconsistent, but more like when a game's framerate and the display's refresh rate are out of sync and it gets a little bit juddery. The game's running at 60fps, the stream settings are set to 60fps and the steam deck is set 60hz with no frame limit. Visually it looks like it's hitting a bumpy 30fps. Just a limitation of streaming, my network (the PS5 is ethernet'd, steam deck is wifi), or something I can improve by tuning the config?

Chiaki settings:
Resolution - 1080p
FPS - 60
Bitrate - 30000
Codec - H265
Audio buffer - Default (19200)
Hardware decode - vaapi

It's extremely playable so not a big deal if this is as good as it gets - it's very good - but if there's a way to squeeze out a smoother experience I'd love to get it there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Drop the resolution to 720p, I had the same experience and it was fine at 720. I'm not convinced supersampling really has much effect.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Raylax posted:

Got PS5 streaming working yesterday with Chiaki4Deck and it works like a dream. One thing though, the framerate is a little choppy - not inconsistent, but more like when a game's framerate and the display's refresh rate are out of sync and it gets a little bit juddery. The game's running at 60fps, the stream settings are set to 60fps and the steam deck is set 60hz with no frame limit. Visually it looks like it's hitting a bumpy 30fps. Just a limitation of streaming, my network (the PS5 is ethernet'd, steam deck is wifi), or something I can improve by tuning the config?

Chiaki settings:
Resolution - 1080p
FPS - 60
Bitrate - 30000
Codec - H265
Audio buffer - Default (19200)
Hardware decode - vaapi

It's extremely playable so not a big deal if this is as good as it gets - it's very good - but if there's a way to squeeze out a smoother experience I'd love to get it there.

Could be your network, I'm using the exact same settings and it's smooth as butter. Is your PS5 wired via ethernet?

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Yeah my PS5 is connected via ethernet. It's probably just my router then, it's just the one my ISP supplied (a BT Home Hub of some sort, probably about 7 years old). It's been completely adequate for downloads, streaming and everything else I've thrown at it over the years but it's perhaps not the best equipped for local streaming.

Dropping the chiaki resolution setting to 720p improved things a bit I think but it's hard to tell

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The BT home hubs are pretty poo poo, a friend of mine had similar issues with a home hub while trying chiaki and just added some £25 no name gigabit router from Amazon as an access point/switch on the end, plugged his PS5 into that and connected his deck on the wifi from that and it was significantly better.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I really should replace my ISP router at some point. For wifi 6 if nothing else, those things are getting real cheap. If nothing else it'd let me have seperate 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks since my new ISP router doesn't let me do that any more. Also it only has 3 LAN ports.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

njsykora posted:

I really should replace my ISP router at some point. For wifi 6 if nothing else, those things are getting real cheap. If nothing else it'd let me have seperate 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks since my new ISP router doesn't let me do that any more. Also it only has 3 LAN ports.

You can get remarkably decent routers for remarkably cheap, as History pointed out.

Basically, if you can afford both a PS5 and a Deck you can afford a router that isn't an ISP supplied potato.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can get remarkably decent routers for remarkably cheap, as History pointed out.

Basically, if you can afford both a PS5 and a Deck you can afford a router that isn't an ISP supplied potato.

My ISP combined my modem and router into one unit, so I'm assuming I'd have to buy both, or buy another combo unit.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Most ISPs use combination modem / routers these days. You should be able to switch it to modem-only mode to use your own router.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Even if you can’t put the ISP device into a modem-only mode you can plug any router in and use that for its better wired switching and wifi, it won’t care at all and your ISP provided equipment will just happily provide it with connectivity without complaining.

It’ll just see it as another device to throw the 1’s and 0’s at.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I've always had modem and router separate and I will never stop, because ISP-provided crapware has been a pain in the rear end every single time.

My wifi is provided by one of those Unifi flying saucers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My router does its own PPPoE passed through the ISP modem, and even though it’s pretty old (EdgeRouter 4) it keeps up quite well with gigabit symmetrical. If I wanted to do QOS or on-router VPN I would probably run out of CPU oomph on it, but I don’t need QOS and I just run Tailscale on everything instead because it is both better and easier!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Even if you can’t put the ISP device into a modem-only mode you can plug any router in and use that for its better wired switching and wifi, it won’t care at all and your ISP provided equipment will just happily provide it with connectivity without complaining.

It’ll just see it as another device to throw the 1’s and 0’s at.

Yep, this is exactly what we've got going on. lovely ISP supplied combo modem and gently caress-awful wifi router that is plugged into a much nicer router for a mesh network, which in turn has a cheap but effective little pocket router plugged into it that's feeding my PC and the PS5 via ethernet.

Even with all that daisy chain bullshit the only real bottleneck is if I decide to try and do bandwith intensive poo poo on the PC and PS5 at once. I downloaded two big games simultaneously just to see what it looked like, but outside of creating a problem for myself like that it doesn't' come up in day to day use.

PS5 feeding via ethernet cable to the little cheap router and thence onto the mesh network which connects to the dock works wonderfully for playing Horizon games in bed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nice use of the word “thence”

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

"Unplayable at 30fps"? You sweet, summer child...I played Tie Fighter on an i386 a 2fps. :corsair:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Reminds me of that time in college where I used dryer vent to pipe the window a/c unit into my gaming pc.
:iceburn::pcgaming:

Bumhead posted:

It was touched on earlier, but I assume Steam Streaming works amazingly over Deck + Local Network? If I wanted to play BG3 or Cyberpunk with RTX from my desktop but via the Deck?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It was touched on earlier, but I assume Steam Streaming works amazingly over Deck + Local Network? If I wanted to play BG3 or Cyberpunk with RTX from my desktop but via the Deck?

Depends on your network setup, but if the host PC is hardwired and the wifi is AC then yeah it absolutely rules. Just to counter the insistence that you NEED Moonlight for streaming to really work.

My strongest I-streamed-this-instead games, either because I could crank them to 11 with my PC hardware OR they're too big and I don't want them taking up a fifth of the SSD OR they just made the fans run too loud and burned out the battery in 90 minutes:

Cyberpunk
Elden Ring
Red Dead 2
Armored Core 6
Forza Horizon 4/5
Train Sim World 3/4

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 28, 2023

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Anyone check out CS2 yet? Apparently there are some audio issues which is disappointing for a SD Verified game. Hopefully Valve fixes it soon. I'm downloading it now.

I played a few hours of GO when I got Deck and it was a lot of fun. Its great to play a no nonsense but still arcadey shooter, however merciless it may be.

Didnt play much CS Source back in the day but definitely played a ton of 1.6 in high school

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

"Unplayable at 30fps"? You sweet, summer child...I played Tie Fighter on an i386 a 2fps. :corsair:

Reminds me of that time in college where I used dryer vent to pipe the window a/c unit into my gaming pc.
:iceburn::pcgaming:

Yup. I've been doing a fair bit of Starfield on the deck.

In other deck news I realized yesterday, after owning the thing for like five loving days, that this means I can game on the porch. I can go outside and enjoy some nice early fall air while playing video games like a total loving goon.

Goddamn the future is here.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

In other deck news I realized yesterday, after owning the thing for like five loving days, that this means I can game on the porch. I can go outside and enjoy some nice early fall air while playing video games like a total loving goon.

Goddamn the future is here.

I was dog-sitting for my sister-in-law on a farm in northern Virginia when I got my Deck delivered early last October, and the combination of the season, isolation, and having a few games to play on the porch while I sang to the cows made it my fondest memory of the year. I suggest Outer Wilds as a porch-game, anything kinda slow or meandering like that

EDIT: Driving down to the tavern in town just to steal their internet long enough to download Snowrunner, ahhhh, that was a really fun two weeks

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 28, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Started up The Outer Wilds (not Worlds) on a long flight and wow what a good Deck game. No issues with font size. Previously I got frustrated with two planets and put it down, but it's easier to try a cycle when I can jump in and suspend whenever.

The default controls have the right touch pad as analog stick. It's much better as a mouse but then the UI is constantly flickering between the two. Haven't found a way to force controller UI. This is the only thing keeping it from being a perfect Deck game imo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Started up The Outer Wilds (not Worlds) on a long flight and wow what a good Deck game. No issues with font size. Previously I got frustrated with two planets and put it down, but it's easier to try a cycle when I can jump in and suspend whenever.

The default controls have the right touch pad as analog stick. It's much better as a mouse but then the UI is constantly flickering between the two. Haven't found a way to force controller UI. This is the only thing keeping it from being a perfect Deck game imo.

I'm assuming you've tried looking for user created control profiles?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I'd slaughter for games to more often provide the "pick which iconography you want in the UI tooltips" option, instead of using what input its receiving to determine it. Train Sim World is the same way, and it sucks the most when you've got the gyro on mouse and the UI "interact" tooltip is constantly flickering between "A" and "Left Click"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heran Bago posted:

Ohhhhh I know this pain. It's down to the game to not have a completely different set of buttons on the UI whenever it senses a controller vs m+kb. I use gyro on almost everything, and I've had to set it as "as joystick" instead of "as mouse" so many times :negative:

Valheim was particularly awful with the UI switch.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm assuming you've tried looking for user created control profiles?

Only a little. Mapping as much as possible to kb+m would certainly help, but you need analog triggers here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a good RDP client for Deck? I have wake-on-LAN set up and working, but Steam streaming runs the game behind a Windows login and then the Steam client just gets stuck: I can’t click the mouse and holding the two-squares button just pops a fly out that says “hold escape to exit session” but I have to restart Steam to get out of it. Steam-button combos don’t work either. Seems like my best option might be to RDP in and log in, then start the game? Hmm, unless RDP will just log another session in and leave the Steam-accessible session locked…

(Sunshine or MoonDeckBuddy don’t seem to start until I log in, or something. Steam is able to stream though.)

E: or maybe this is the solution: https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-automatically-login-to-windows-and-then-lock-the-workstation/

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
RDP could be a bit annoying because it does some fuckery with the session when it usurps it. You can't have two sessions with the same user by default.

Anyway, Remmina is fine. It does RDP and some other protocols.