Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

k so i did decide to check out mausritter due to mouseguard box sets being $100+ rn, and i actually really dig it, stylistically. i also play 5e with my other regular group now and am enchanted by this "osr" concept that mausritter i guess is. if i wanted to pivot from 5e to an osr at some point, which one is a good one to jump from 5e from? my players like rp, we play theatre of the mind combat, and the most exciting element of d&d for them is finding and defeating weird/awesome monsters. i also like the idea of getting so powerful you eventually have some sort of settlement + personal army whatever ala ad&d 2e like i used to play. recommendations?

Try Worlds Without Number. It fits all of your criteria.

There is a free version!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

k so i did decide to check out mausritter due to mouseguard box sets being $100+ rn, and i actually really dig it, stylistically. i also play 5e with my other regular group now and am enchanted by this "osr" concept that mausritter i guess is. if i wanted to pivot from 5e to an osr at some point, which one is a good one to jump from 5e from? my players like rp, we play theatre of the mind combat, and the most exciting element of d&d for them is finding and defeating weird/awesome monsters. i also like the idea of getting so powerful you eventually have some sort of settlement + personal army whatever ala ad&d 2e like i used to play. recommendations?

I don't have any solid "this is a great transition from 5e" recommendations, but if you are looking for weird/awesome monsters in a sufficiently unique setting, then let me recommend two settings: The Ultraviolet Grasslands and Vaults of Vaarn.

The Ultraviolet Grasslands is by Luka Rejec. It is a weird world Oregon Trail-like caravanner game inspired by psychedelic heavy metal and the Dying Earth genre. It is very good.

Some details.

7 unusual factions, from sentient mind-controlling cats to many-bodied porcelain princes, and dozens of backgrounds for characters

Streamlined character rules make for smoother gameplay, while an expanded array of caravan options, vehicles, and equipment lets you equip your party for any eventuality. A brand-new bestiary section offers a menagerie of friends and foes to encounter, and revamped spells give you more magical tactics to explore. (2nd Edition)

Fancy a companion on your epic journey? Choose from a table of 50 adorable pets. To keep you organized, there are revamped character and caravan sheets. And, to fuel your wanderlust, there's an expanded map featuring the whole Circle Sea region. (2nd Edition)

https://www.exaltedfuneral.com/products/uvg-2e 2nd Edition

https://wizardthieffighter.itch.io/ultraviolet-grasslands-and-the-black-city-uvg 1st Edition

Vaults of Vaarn is based loosely on Gamma World but it's weirder. It also cites Caves of Qud the critically acclaimed goon made roguelike also loosely based on Gamma World.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/Caves_of_Qud/

Some details for Issue #1.

Full rules for play, based on the light, easy-to-learn Knave system.

Five player ancestries with detailed character generation tables. Play as a haughty true-kin, a mutated cacogen, a mechanical synth, a feral newbeast, or a fungal mycomorph.
    Twisted mutations, psychic gifts, and cybernetic implants to further augment your character.

120 Exotica, the strange and valuable far-future relics that can be discovered in the vaults beneath Vaarn.

A bestiary of 28 ferocious science-fantasy monsters that lurk in the blue wastes.

Nine pages of content generation tables that allow a referee to spark ideas for their own vision of Vaarn. Generate desert ruins, NPCs, trading caravans, nomadic clans, arcology domes, esoteric drugs, forgotten gods, and more.

https://graculusdroog.itch.io/vaults-of-vaarn

i also like the idea of getting so powerful you eventually have some sort of settlement + personal army whatever ala ad&d 2e like i used to play. recommendations?

If you are looking for base building, domain management or organization building rules for D&D, OSR or any other system; I've been compiling a list of books that have those rules in them. I host the list on my blog and the list is a product of posters here and a few lists I've seen in the wild.

https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2022/01/base-building-domain-management-or.html

Also if you are looking for an OSR game with very stripped down rules but also associated with a hexcrawl, take a look at the Napoleonic naval adventure hexcrawl Shot and Splinters ($20 on itch) or the well regarded dark fantasy viking hexcrawl Wolves Upon the Coast ($62 on itch but there is a FREE demo on the itch page).

https://northernstranger.itch.io/shot-splinters

https://lukegearing.itch.io/wolves-upon-the-coast-grand-campaign

I have a short review of Shot and Splinters with additional tables on my blog here: https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2023/08/shot-and-splinters-useful-tables.html

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Megazver posted:

Try Worlds Without Number. It fits all of your criteria.

There is a free version!

this one looks very interesting.

but it was fascinating to read all the suggestions! thank you all

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Crosspost from reddit:

I feel like the two most popular generic rules systems are Savage World and Fate Core. I think that's the case because they can easily exist with one another and work well together, in a way. Savage World is better for those who prefer a mechanical representation for everything about their character and the world whereas Fate works better on focusing on the narrative elements of a setting. As such, they kind of easily exist alongside one another in the market as people will just gravitate to the generic system that works best for them. There are LOADS of other generic systems and some are pretty drat great, but I feel SW and Fate are the main players.

For those who swear by one or the other or both, what do you like about the game and what makes you gravitate towards it over alternatives? And do you ever turn down games made for the thing you are going for in a game for SW or Fate? And, if so, why?

For me, I prefer Fate Core. I tend to run games by the seat of my pants and do it more improv and Fate plays well to it. You don't need to worry as much about Prep because the Bronze rule makes it easy to make something up on the fly. I rarely pick Fate over a game specifically made for the setting, with rare exception when there just isn't a good system for the genre I'm going for. My favorite Fate setting is Atomic Robo, as that is a beloved comic of mine and what introduced me to the system.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As someone who has a very hard time reading and understanding systems (I pick them up fine while playing), I will say I have been able to run a game in Fate Core and people picked it up quickly. I have only approached Savage Worlds as a player and it didn’t click with me but also every time the game died before it started so I may have easily picked it up.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Got my copy of Hârnworld 40th Anniversary Edition yesterday and yeah that is a hefty tome, came with some nice maps too

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Helical Nightmares posted:

The Ultraviolet Grasslands is by Luka Rejec. It is a weird world Oregon Trail-like caravanner game inspired by psychedelic heavy metal and the Dying Earth genre. It is very good.

Some details.

Luka's Patreon is a pro-follow if you want a steady trickle of psychedelic RPG content with a strong Moebius vibe.

https://www.patreon.com/wizardthieffighter/posts

Dat art!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

drrockso20 posted:

Got my copy of Hârnworld 40th Anniversary Edition yesterday and yeah that is a hefty tome, came with some nice maps too

Harn is nothing if not gorgeous maps.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I still do not understand what it is that's made Savage Worlds so popular. I'd honestly like to know, but I've tried to read the rulebook several times and nothing seemed any different from other generic, universal, rules-medium systems that nobody plays.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LatwPIAT posted:

I still do not understand what it is that's made Savage Worlds so popular. I'd honestly like to know, but I've tried to read the rulebook several times, and nothing seemed any different from other generic, universal, rules-medium systems that nobody plays.

I've played it a lot and run the Necessary Evil, 50 Fathoms, and Evernight campaigns. It's a simple, pleasant system with enough ruley stuff that players that turn their noses up at FATE or anything resembling that style of game go for (about half my gaming group are far worse grogs than I am but I've been playing with for over forty years). They like it because most of them played a lot of Deadlands.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

LatwPIAT posted:

I still do not understand what it is that's made Savage Worlds so popular. I'd honestly like to know, but I've tried to read the rulebook several times and nothing seemed any different from other generic, universal, rules-medium systems that nobody plays.

Yeah, I wasn't excited by Savage Worlds, and they were passive aggressive assholes to me when I was doing the So77 conversion for kickstarter rewards.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Savage Worlds did have a $10 full-colour edition widely available on LGS shelves, years and years ago. It was popular before that, but I have to think that gave it an air of legitimacy other games missed out on. Look! It's a real game, but cheap enough that it won't be filed away as something one person in a group buys and never plays, but it's extremely professional!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Savage Worlds did have a $10 full-colour edition widely available on LGS shelves, years and years ago. It was popular before that, but I have to think that gave it an air of legitimacy other games missed out on. Look! It's a real game, but cheap enough that it won't be filed away as something one person in a group buys and never plays, but it's extremely professional!

This is exactly how I first tried it too. A LGS employee showed it to me on the shelf and it was super cheap, so I figured I’d give it a shot.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LatwPIAT posted:

I ran it for a while. It's fine? It was the best option for a D&D + guns + steampunk + pulp adventure I was running pre-pandemic.

It doesn't handle, like, dragons and poo poo very well. It also feels way too swingy even with the wild die.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thinking to use these dungeon block tiles for frostgrave. i play d&d so they may find their way there as well, tho we do currently like theatre of the mind atm. what are some other cool modern dungeon crawl games a huge pile of dungeon block tiles would be fun to play with? cooperative with an exploration feature would be nice

e: more of a adventure wargame maybe? not quite ttrpg levels

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 27, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LatwPIAT posted:

It's fast and furious!

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018
Ultraviolet Grasslands and Vaults of Vaarn both look very cool.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

thinking to use these dungeon block tiles for frostgrave.

What dungeon block tiles are you referring to?

i play d&d so they may find their way there as well, tho we do currently like theatre of the mind atm. what are some other cool modern dungeon crawl games a huge pile of dungeon block tiles would be fun to play with? cooperative with an exploration feature would be nice

Are you familiar with Rangers of Shadow Deep?
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/257695/Rangers-of-Shadow-Deep-A-Tabletop-Adventure-Game

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

thinking to use these dungeon block tiles for frostgrave. i play d&d so they may find their way there as well, tho we do currently like theatre of the mind atm. what are some other cool modern dungeon crawl games a huge pile of dungeon block tiles would be fun to play with? cooperative with an exploration feature would be nice

Have you heard of a little game called Gloomhaven.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

whoops i mixed up my tradgames threads lol. thought the 3d printed dungeon blocks posting was happening here, my bad. this is a better place to ask about rulesets anyway.

https://www.myminifactory.com/frontier/dungeon-blocks-the-ultimate-dungeon-1791

i'm gonna print a bunch of those and am looking for something that's basically just a rulebook. not looking to buy a big kit of cardboard punch outs and cards which is what most of the dungeon crawlers ive found googling seem to be. cool as those are. i'd prefer to stay more agnostic, historical wargame style, and instead find a ruleset that fits my desires and toys on hand rather than an all in one

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O okay. I was very confused. Sorry.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

whoops i mixed up my tradgames threads lol. thought the 3d printed dungeon blocks posting was happening here, my bad. this is a better place to ask about rulesets anyway.

https://www.myminifactory.com/frontier/dungeon-blocks-the-ultimate-dungeon-1791

Not going to lie. These look really cool and Frostgrave is a good game to use them in.

i'm gonna print a bunch of those and am looking for something that's basically just a rulebook. not looking to buy a big kit of cardboard punch outs and cards which is what most of the dungeon crawlers ive found googling seem to be. cool as those are. i'd prefer to stay more agnostic, historical wargame style, and instead find a ruleset that fits my desires and toys on hand rather than an all in one

I get you. You want something to plug into your existing collection. Along with Rangers of Shadow Deep, may I also suggest 5 Leagues from the Borderlands by goon Ivan Sorensen; if you are looking for fantasy.
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/399147/Five-Leagues-from-the-Borderlands-PDF

For an Actual Play of 5 Leagues, try Guerrilla Miniature Games here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFx7Nk9sXuM

As I recall, 5 Leagues includes rules for generating dungeons, but I haven't finished reading the book so I don't remember how sophisticated the generated dungeon design is.

Given the number of supplemental quest books with Rangers of Shadow Deep, the dungeons of 5 Leagues and the setup of Frostgrave I think your 3D printed dungeon blocks would be well served in any or all of these rulesets. I will say that Rangers of Shadow Deep and 5 Leagues are primarily written as solo games but there is coop support for both.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Have you heard of a little game called Gloomhaven.

I really like Gloomhaven and have played it in person, but the main problem I have with it is trying to schedule 3-4 people to show up in the same goddamn place and time. That is one of the main reasons why I like the Gloomhaven video game. Also they did a good job on it.

The DLC, Solo Scenarios: Mercenary Challenges, is rated negative. I don't have it so I can't weigh in on that opinion.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/780290/Gloomhaven/

Moonlit Knight posted:

Ultraviolet Grasslands and Vaults of Vaarn both look very cool.

mllaneza posted:

Luka's Patreon is a pro-follow if you want a steady trickle of psychedelic RPG content with a strong Moebius vibe.

https://www.patreon.com/wizardthieffighter/posts

Dat art!

Glad more people are aware of Luka's stuff and the Vaults of Vaarn! Luka is the illustrator as well as the game designer of the Ultraviolet Grasslands.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
So lately, I’ve been seeing a lot of discussion on MCDM’s Patreon and YT channel about combining the To Hit and Damage rolls in combat for their new RPG. They also found that adding Armor as a flat damage threshold the players have to beat also helps keep tougher enemies from becoming big sacks of hit points.

I’ve been thinking a lot about more and similar changes to find ways of speeding up D&D combat while maintaining tactical complexity. Has anyone seen a dice-based system that does this effectively? i already know that Gloomhaven uses this really effectively…

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Gray Ghost posted:

So lately, I’ve been seeing a lot of discussion on MCDM’s Patreon and YT channel about combining the To Hit and Damage rolls in combat for their new RPG. They also found that adding Armor as a flat damage threshold the players have to beat also helps keep tougher enemies from becoming big sacks of hit points.

I’ve been thinking a lot about more and similar changes to find ways of speeding up D&D combat while maintaining tactical complexity. Has anyone seen a dice-based system that does this effectively? i already know that Gloomhaven uses this really effectively…

It’s been done a fair number of times, yeah. One-Roll Engine (ORE) games like Reign are probably the definitive example.

I’m currently reading Miseries & Misfortunes, which features armor as a flat reduction to damage, if you want a modern example with a really interesting take on combat as it took place in 1648 France.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Helical Nightmares posted:

The DLC, Solo Scenarios: Mercenary Challenges, is rated negative. I don't have it so I can't weigh in on that opinion.
Unless they changed it since I last played, a lot of people were annoyed at the solo scenarios because every member of your multiplayer game has to own the DLC (not just the host!) and installing the DLC would brick your game by turning it into a "DLC-enabled" save, preventing your friends from playing (even the other non-DLC scenarios, if I recall correctly).

Unrelatedly, it seems like the original Gloomhaven dev team is no longer involved with the game and the new stewards of the digital version haven't been doing a good job with bug fixes or ongoing patches (this is based on a skim of the Steam reviews, not my personal knowledge, so grain of salt there).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gray Ghost posted:

another small, stumbling step towards "gently caress dice, determinism rules, the look-ahead problem is better solved through hidden information than randomness." i have faith the industry will get there eventually :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ettin's showing off some Wetrunner stuff but something seems odd about it

Actual pic

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Seems jawsome to me! :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

perfect for a smooth operator

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

BinaryDoubts posted:

Unless they changed it since I last played, a lot of people were annoyed at the solo scenarios because every member of your multiplayer game has to own the DLC (not just the host!) and installing the DLC would brick your game by turning it into a "DLC-enabled" save, preventing your friends from playing (even the other non-DLC scenarios, if I recall correctly).

Unrelatedly, it seems like the original Gloomhaven dev team is no longer involved with the game and the new stewards of the digital version haven't been doing a good job with bug fixes or ongoing patches (this is based on a skim of the Steam reviews, not my personal knowledge, so grain of salt there).

Yeah the way they handled that DLC in particular was odd.

The original devs (Flaming Fowl) seem to be working on Frosthaven now* and Sabre Interactive took up their mantle in November 2022. They worked on the Switch port from then until one or two weeks ago, with I think a single hotfix being rolled out in the meantime to deal with a multiplayer bug. They released their first update on Steam almost a year after they took up developing the game, which added crossplay and a bunch of bugs, plus some questionable UI choices like having a sound play every time you mouse over a card lol They reverted the change and have been bugfixing their patch ever since.
In total they released like uh, four bugfixes in the span of a year, three of which were in the last three weeks. Plus the Switch port + crossplay, of course. The game's clearly not in active development anymore (and there's nothing else to add to it even if it were, they basically added everything GH already had in the box) so it shouldn't be a consideration in terms of buying a copy. It's real good!

*their recent job postings originally said "Our next project is a brand new and exciting AAA quality, strategic turn-based RPG!"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I loved playing Gloomhaven with my gaming group until covid broke it up. I tried playing gloomhaven online by myself and it just feels kinda crappy. I can only look at the same cards so many times. I never had that problem when playing with my group.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Less than 48 hours left of the FIST Kickstarter! Also, the core rules are free on Itch while the KS campaign is going: https://claymorerpgs.itch.io/fist

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frogappreciator/fist-paranormal-mercenary-rpg-box-set/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Xelkelvos posted:

Actual pic

Absolutely no one would describe the pictured individual as “cool”.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Pollyanna posted:

Absolutely no one would describe the pictured individual as “cool”.

Different universe. Check your real world privilege.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Xelkelvos posted:

Actual pic

Someone just read that last line aloud and Vin Diesel got super-stoked for no apparent reason.

(For those who haven't seen it: watch to the end, if you can. https://youtu.be/P4HLBfTcAUg)

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Posting on page 420 :350:

Also lol I'm one of the 5 biggest TG nerds I know and I haven't heard of half of the systems/games y'all discussing. Back to the store I guess!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I strongly recommend filling multiple bookshelves with games you've never played, because you don't think you can sell a group on them or because they suck, and then just sort of quietly appreciating them with a faint melancholy in your heart

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I strongly recommend filling multiple bookshelves with games you've never played, because you don't think you can sell a group on them or because they suck, and then just sort of quietly appreciating them with a faint melancholy in your heart

:unsmith: yeah, that's the life for me

Seriously though, it's pretty good when you actually get to try one out though, and discover that it's actually pretty good! I've definitely slowed down on buying new games quite significantly though, due to not having time to play all my current shelf-warmers. Since these days I'm leaning back towards TTRPGs, over new board games.
Delta Green currently, with the possibility of Lancer on the horizon. I've heard of Savage Worlds of course, but never played it. I quite like flexible (for lack of a better word) systems like DG, Mutants and Masterminds, that kinda thing. Compared to more... 'rigid' ones like D&D, I mean

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I need to get more proactive about running one-shots of games I'm interested in but time/scheduling are a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Buy and read more games, in general.

Even if you never get around to running them, you're still increasing your game literacy and developing a better understanding of systems of play.