Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Platystemon posted:

Car bodges occasionally make an appearance.

This rules though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

oh poo poo where can i buy this? My k3500 needs a carpet and this would be ideal

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

chrisgt posted:

oh poo poo where can i buy this? My k3500 needs a carpet and this would be ideal

Your local Walmart kid’s section

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

chrisgt posted:

Ikea sells these

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

chrisgt posted:

This is tempting.

Too tempting.

Wrong thread.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That's awesome and reminds me of Matt Farah's safari 911 with the bus fabric:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
didn't know they made right hand drive VWs

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

LifeSunDeath posted:

didn't know they made right hand drive VWs

The UK escaped your notice all this time, huh?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The UK escaped your notice all this time, huh?

And Japan, Australia, parts of Africa (though i don't think cars are actively made for that market), etc.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

chrisgt posted:

And Japan, Australia, parts of Africa (though i don't think cars are actively made for that market), etc.

South Africa drives on the left and is the largest producer of cars for domestic consumption on the continent (2nd to Morocco in exports).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Not much to see here, but found 2nd gear instead of 4th gear at the top of 3rd gear. 9820rpm on the log, stock K24 rev limit is 7300 and I run it to 7800.

Clutch pedal stuck down so I couldn't pull it out of the overrev. Pressure plate strap rivet failed and got ejected out the transmission, motor looked fine on comp/leakdown/borescope/valve clearances but out of an abundance of caution I'm putting another junkyard K24 into it. Used motor is $1200, having one let go from rod bolt fatigue or a lightly touched valve dropping would be $1200 motor, $400 oil pump, $800 oil pan, and whatever else gets nuked on the way / fire chance / the cost of throwing away a weekend of track time (which is multiples of part cost).

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Not much to see here, but found 2nd gear instead of 4th gear at the top of 3rd gear. 9820rpm on the log, stock K24 rev limit is 7300 and I run it to 7800.

Clutch pedal stuck down so I couldn't pull it out of the overrev. Pressure plate strap rivet failed and got ejected out the transmission, motor looked fine on comp/leakdown/borescope/valve clearances but out of an abundance of caution I'm putting another junkyard K24 into it. Used motor is $1200, having one let go from rod bolt fatigue or a lightly touched valve dropping would be $1200 motor, $400 oil pump, $800 oil pan, and whatever else gets nuked on the way / fire chance / the cost of throwing away a weekend of track time (which is multiples of part cost).

holy shitballs! That must have been lots of noise and WTF for a few seconds!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BlackMK4 posted:

motor looked fine on comp/leakdown/borescope/valve clearances but out of an abundance of caution I'm putting another junkyard K24 into it.

The junkyard motor will have seen 9830 RPM. :classiclol:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

An actual money shift, in 2023, you love to see it. Like, I'm sorry and everything, but it's a dying thing.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Leperflesh posted:

An actual money shift, in 2023, you love to see it. Like, I'm sorry and everything, but it's a dying thing.

Money shifts are both terrible and beautiful things at the same time in this age.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Platystemon posted:

The junkyard motor will have seen 9830 RPM. :classiclol:

Fortunately, the donors are all automatics. On the other hand, they all magically have "60k miles" on them. :lmao:

But yeah, all in all, not a big deal. I do agree its funny to money shift in 2023.... one of those BACK IN MY DAY things for sure

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

opengl posted:

It's a sixth gen Maxima

But still yes, BAE.

Dammit. I will now hand in my car guy card.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

wolrah posted:

Somewhere a city bus is missing its upholstery.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BlackMK4 posted:

Fortunately, the donors are all automatics. On the other hand, they all magically have "60k miles" on them. :lmao:

But yeah, all in all, not a big deal. I do agree its funny to money shift in 2023.... one of those BACK IN MY DAY things for sure

Haven't you moneyshifted a few K24s by now, or am I thinking of someone else?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

wolrah posted:

Mister Kingdom posted:

Somewhere a city bus is missing its upholstery.

Somewhere Jake Sisko is missing his outfit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

good dog
https://imgur.com/7B0rod4.mp4

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The Mazda Curse is real.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Elviscat posted:

Haven't you moneyshifted a few K24s by now, or am I thinking of someone else?

Not me, first time ever moneyshifting anything :lol:

edit: I guess you might be thinking of the multiple BRZ transmissions I've blown up. They're basically glass.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 29, 2023

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, come on - the RX-8 gets poo poo on, but...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/HxQkdM5.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Boyz 'n the Hoods

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Took me a few loops to notice the jumper cables strung between them. Phenomenal.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nuevo posted:

Took me a few loops to notice the jumper cables strung between them. Phenomenal.

Oooooohhhhh

Now it makes sense. It's still dumb, but yeah.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Surprising that it wasn't two Altimas.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hate to admit it...tad impressive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
O.K. but like, unless these cars have super hosed up engine bay designs, it’s possible to lower the hood to the popped but half-latched position while keeping the cables connected.

e: ta content

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 11, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this is a compromise i’m willing to accept. ban cars, drive bikes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tread depth: it’s complicated.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Oh no

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ah yes the classic firestones with the quick release tread.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Probably one of those people that think tires are a scam, just zip tie them together, the secret they won't tell you!

I had to literally shame my wife's friend's husband into getting tires for her SUV because they were bald and he didn't want to spend the money, a vehicle she drove their kids in every day. loving idiot morons.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I had to literally shame my wife's friend's husband into getting tires for her SUV because they were bald and he didn't want to spend the money, a vehicle she drove their kids in every day. loving idiot morons.
It's not just thread either. A 5-6 years old tire on a street-parked car will vastly underperform a new one.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Tires are supposed to be smooth, like sharks

Also, I suspect that when most treads release, it is quick

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The fastest race cars use completely bald tires, therefore traction and grip improve as my tires get balder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Especially on heavy, high horsepower cars. Everyone knows this.