Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Sash! posted:

Luke literally flew in one of the novels already. In 1994.
I don't remember if that was in one of the Jedi Academy books but if so, I'd say it sounds like it was actually one of that garbage series' less egregious examples of abusing the Force to accomplish whatever was convenient for their absurd plot.

Cage Kicker posted:

I feel like ever since the RPG and Dark Forces 2, there’s been a trend of assigning different abilities in the Force as Dark or Light and giving them all names like Harry Potter spells. Luke clearly does something to one of Java’s guards in ROtJ but I don’t think he was Casting the Dark Side Ability Force Choke like some people will fight to the death over
He rolled a good number on his [Force] Sleep spell but did not roll a good number on his Perception and Dexterity checks when talking to Jabba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Marsupial Ape posted:

Point of order: A Jedi uses the Force to make a squad of stormtroopers to think their blaster rifles are snakes and run away in panic. It is a non-violent solution, but definitely causes fear and madness in the victim. Would that be a Light Side or Dark Side act?

I dunno, throwing an evil emperor down a shaft and ending an evil regime, saving billions of lives across the known galaxy in the process... but his bald girl back home will miss him and cry and feel loss. Ending the empire seems pretty dark sider by that measure doesnt it?

If a force sensitive tree falls in the woods of endor and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound in the force?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
They are Force 'powers', not Force 'spells'. Please respect the inherent dignity of this carpeted conversation pit.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Marsupial Ape posted:

They are Force 'powers', not Force 'spells'. Please respect the inherent dignity of this carpeted conversation pit.

Ok but what about force spells? The Thought Bomb seems pretty hosed up and if you went there and a tree grew over top of the cave and you went into the tree to train, how much worse would it be than on dagobah?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Marsupial Ape posted:

Then why are they located in a "spells" file in KOTOR/2?

Checkmate, uh...Forceists

Legends-era Sith Force practitioners were definitely more akin to spell-casters (see also, Palps' flaming cauldron in TCW/Rebels when he's messing with Yoda/Tano respectively)

Even comes with an incantation: "Kintik hadzuska sutta chwituskak! Kintik hadzuska sutta chwituskak! Jiaasjen Jidai, jiassjen Jidai!"

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
The Force, much like science, is whatever we want it to be.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I’m pretty sure the SNES Star Wars series did stuff like using the Force to fly and heal first

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Super Empire Strikes Back and Super Return of the Jedi had some levitation powers but they used up so much force and had limited enough mobility I wouldn't describe it as flying.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The only thing certain about the mechanics of the force is it's too boring of a topic for characters to actually talk about at length in a space adventure.

Only secondary media such as video games, where it might make sense mechanically to frame them as magic spells, can step into that breach

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Thats one thing I liked about the sith over Jedi, there were so many more aspects and vocations. Sith alchemists, all the different specializations really.

Jedi were really limited and it seems like anything adjacent was considered forbidden.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
All of the "new" force powers seen in the prequels and sequels were in an RPG or videogame first

Speed
Lightning Absorption (Obiwan shoulda taught that to Luke imo)
Drain

Stasis

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's like when people thought "Grogu" was a stupid name and got mad at it. Which like yes, it is, but so is every random assemblage of fantasy syllables. I guarantee if it was all reversed and they'd named the kung fu master muppet guy in 1981 "Grogu" and we'd been calling this little poo poo "Baby Grogu" and the big reveal of the unfamilliar name we had to get used to in 2021 was "Yoda," it would hit the ear as just as dumb.
Yes but thanks to the name "Yoda" we got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6d1dR2170o

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

bentacos posted:

The Force is just a theory, you know! What about the missing link between a frog and Yoda ?? High midi-chlorian counts can't possibly just happen naturally! Checkmate, Jedumb !!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sombrerotron posted:

I don't remember if that was in one of the Jedi Academy books but if so, I'd say it sounds like it was actually one of that garbage series' less egregious examples of abusing the Force to accomplish whatever was convenient for their absurd plot.

Courtship of Princess Leia. Han speculated it was the origin of his surname.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Assepoester posted:

All of the "new" force powers seen in the prequels and sequels were in an RPG or videogame first

Speed
Lightning Absorption (Obiwan shoulda taught that to Luke imo)
Drain

Stasis

Yes but thanks to the name "Yoda" we got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6d1dR2170o

When was Force Skype a thing prior to the ST?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

bentacos posted:

We have no way of knowing where the heart is. See, every human is different.

Dr Spaceman was probably one of the guys making Snokes.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Sash! posted:

Courtship of Princess Leia. Han speculated it was the origin of his surname.
I should probably be locked up for my own safety and will likely regret it, but I actually want to reread that book. At least up to the point of 3PO's Han Solo song.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

e: wrong thread :shobon:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Larryb posted:

When was Force Skype a thing prior to the ST?

KOTOR. Kreia tele-nags you when big poo poo is coming up and you better save your game

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
‘Force sensitivity’ is just a sort of bioelectric field, generated by alien microbes, that can be influenced through concentration.

Dividing these actions into ‘light’ and ‘dark’ is like drawing an arbitrary line between types of running, or swimming. Like you’re climbing a mountain with your evil muscles, or something.

What we’re shown in the films is that this distinction by the Jedi has nothing to with which powers you use. So, for example, Yoda and Windu plot to assassinate Chancellor Palpatine and install ‘temporary’ Jedi rule over the Galaxy. Yoda admits that’s a ‘dark’ idea, but goes along with it anyways - for “the greater good”. At that point, it doesn’t matter if Yoda shoots electricity or not. It’s sinful regardless.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Look at this fool that believes in midichlorians

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Palpatine: “I’m not racist, Chagrian friends”

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't get where this thing in the air about midichlorians not mattering comes from. Granted disney is pretty much ignoring the concept for good or for ill, but it certainly mattered to george.

It seems like some really wishful thinking to imagine his avowed midichlorian centric trilogy was going to end with "midichlorians don't matter actually, that idea was stupid"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't get where this thing in the air about midichlorians not mattering comes from. Granted disney is pretty much ignoring the concept for good or for ill, but it certainly mattered to george.

It seems like some really wishful thinking to imagine his avowed midichlorian centric trilogy was going to end with "midichlorians don't matter actually, that idea was stupid"

I’m more of an orgone guy, but I am picking up what you are putting down.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

No Mods No Masters posted:

For my part I was just joking

But that said, even from the time of TPM I've harbored the fan theory that it's just another one of those things the Jedi were simply wrong about. I like them being parasitic or symbiotic organisms that feed on force stuff so while they DO correlate pretty accurately to the potential of force users, they aren't the cause

This is supported by, among other things, weird aliens and places and (at the time) even droids that were strong with the force despite not having what would be compatible biological systems

Mostly it just doesn't matter at all, though

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

‘Force sensitivity’ is just a sort of bioelectric field, generated by alien microbes, that can be influenced through concentration.

Dividing these actions into ‘light’ and ‘dark’ is like drawing an arbitrary line between types of running, or swimming. Like you’re climbing a mountain with your evil muscles, or something.

What we’re shown in the films is that this distinction by the Jedi has nothing to with which powers you use. So, for example, Yoda and Windu plot to assassinate Chancellor Palpatine and install ‘temporary’ Jedi rule over the Galaxy. Yoda admits that’s a ‘dark’ idea, but goes along with it anyways - for “the greater good”. At that point, it doesn’t matter if Yoda shoots electricity or not. It’s sinful regardless.

I choose to believe there are good and evil midichlorians.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Blackchamber posted:

Thats one thing I liked about the sith over Jedi, there were so many more aspects and vocations. Sith alchemists, all the different specializations really.

Jedi were really limited and it seems like anything adjacent was considered forbidden.

Well there was uh....Jedi librarian and...

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

maybealabia posted:

For my part I was just joking

But that said, even from the time of TPM I've harbored the fan theory that it's just another one of those things the Jedi were simply wrong about. I like them being parasitic or symbiotic organisms that feed on force stuff so while they DO correlate pretty accurately to the potential of force users, they aren't the cause

This is supported by, among other things, weird aliens and places and (at the time) even droids that were strong with the force despite not having what would be compatible biological systems

Mostly it just doesn't matter at all, though

I never really thought of them as the cause, just the correlation. That also explains why trying to infuse them into people never works.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
The whole backlash against midichlorians made no sense to me, even back in 1999.

OT: Luke has force powers because his dad did!
OT: Force powers don't work on some species, like Jabba.
Casual fans: yep, that works.

And from the EU before 1999:
Zahn: There are creatures which can dampen the force.
Zahn: Clones of jedi also have jedi power.
Anderson: Leia's kids - Vader's grandkids - are also great force users.
Dark Forces: We can create force-using "dark troopers" through some process.

But then!
PT: Did you know that there's a biological component to force powers?
Casual fans: WHAT? NOOOO! How could you do this to us?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Tequila Bob posted:

The whole backlash against midichlorians made no sense to me, even back in 1999.

OT: Luke has force powers because his dad did!
OT: Force powers don't work on some species, like Jabba.

And from the EU before 1999:
Zahn: There are creatures which can dampen the force.
Zahn: Clones of jedi also have jedi power.
Anderson: Leia's kids - Vader's grandkids - are also great force users.
Dark Forces: We can create force-using "dark troopers" through some process.

But then!
PT: Did you know that there's a biological component to force powers?
Casual fans: WHAT? NOOOO! How could you do this to us?

It's more that it's an infection and not something innate to that person

Their microbiome is messed up but instead of Crohn's Disease they got Jean Grey powers

The movie frames it very weirdly

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Please note that I don't actually give a poo poo it's just fun to talk about

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

LinkesAuge posted:

The athletics and physical powers of force users also continues to escalate over time. The cynic in me says that in 20 years from now Star Wars content will have force users which are indistinguishable from Superman

Sash! posted:

Luke literally flew in one of the novels already. In 1994.

I read a good explanation years and years ago, probably in one of these threads, for why you can't use the Force to fly.

Using the Force for telekinesis is like using it as an extension of your own body, with varying strength adjustments based on your skill and mental prowess ("size matters not"). Ergo, trying to use the Force to fly would be akin to putting your hands under your feet and lifting up.

This stuck with me as such nice reasoning that it bugs me that Magneto can fly, but maybe Marvel powers are more magic-based.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwLccJOMTX0

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Hazo posted:

I read a good explanation years and years ago, probably in one of these threads, for why you can't use the Force to fly.

Using the Force for telekinesis is like using it as an extension of your own body, with varying strength adjustments based on your skill and mental prowess ("size matters not"). Ergo, trying to use the Force to fly would be akin to putting your hands under your feet and lifting up.

This stuck with me as such nice reasoning that it bugs me that Magneto can fly, but maybe Marvel powers are more magic-based.

There's no reason a Jedi couldn't stand on a rock or something and levitate the rock.

Doesn't Magneto wear a bunch of metal armor that he's similarly moving around while he's inside of it?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Anakin has a midichlorian level of over 20000

Was that meme even around in the year 2000?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

maybealabia posted:

Please note that I don't actually give a poo poo it's just fun to talk about

I feel like I need to set that as a permanent comment header. I’m an absurdist, you’re supposed either have a moderate chuckle or roll your eyes and scroll past. That’s the good life.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hazo posted:

Magneto isn't telekinetic though, he can manipulate the earth's magnetic field as he pleases so he can push anything around. It's more like driving a car with him inside.

You're thinking more of Jean Grey.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Hmm. A Jack Parsons-esque chaos magic Force tradition would be fun. If we want to get into the Force as “numen or aether”, then there is all sorts of places you could take poo poo.

The Force should not be confined by the boundaries of a ‘70s Comparative Religion 101 textbook’s chapter on “The Tao”. People get wiggity when wandering outside of George Lucas’ limited understanding of hand waving and bullshitting.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
All this force talk reminded me that as a staunch opponent to a force using Sabine, I didn’t really have a problem with her getting pinged by Ahsoka. But that better be the end of it!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hazo posted:

Why wouldn't it be like walking on your hands or having invisible stilts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
Jedi don’t really have fine control over objects they levitate so it’d make no sense that they could fly with any sort of agility. Every time we see them use telekinesis style powers it’s very brute force yank/pull, push, throw (or slow and deliberate movement like Yoda on the x-wing). You can extrapolate this to say they do use this on themselves for their long jumping. But yeah they should be able to levitate themselves and float around kinda slowly, not fly like a superhero.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 29, 2023