Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

distortion park posted:

Small 4wd vehicles are cool. These tiny Suzuki's are really popular with hunters in Italy, see them everywhere.

Extremely practical for outdoor sports

There's some dealers that sold Jinmnys in the US, you just have to tell them that you're not a cop: https://www.thedrive.com/news/43958/you-can-buy-a-new-suzuki-jimny-at-us-dealerships-just-dont-ask-too-many-questions

quote:

"We bought them in Mexico and brought them back here," the dealer employee said. I prodded them about how the vehicle was registered, if at all. Then they seemed to get suspicious. "Do you want to buy one?" they asked me. I responded that, no, I wasn't going to buy one, but it's unusual for a Jimny to come up for sale in the United States, and I wanted to write an article about the two they had for sale. A few seconds of silence passed and just as I was about to ask another question, they hung up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

There's some dealers that sold Jinmnys in the US, you just have to tell them that you're not a cop: https://www.thedrive.com/news/43958/you-can-buy-a-new-suzuki-jimny-at-us-dealerships-just-dont-ask-too-many-questions

Woah the newer versions look amazing

I've never wanted an SUV before...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

distortion park posted:

Small 4wd vehicles are cool. These tiny Suzuki's are really popular with hunters in Italy, see them everywhere.

Extremely practical for outdoor sports

Popular because they're very capable off road and don't weigh all that much! Friends who used to green lane (find muddy off road routes in the countryside) always maintained that if you got your Land Rover stuck somewhere, a Jimny would make it through unscathed and drag you out to boot.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SlowBloke posted:

People in the Alps that need access to cramped roads jumped on old Daihatsu Terios and Suzuki Jimmy since the few remaining roadworthy mk1 4x4 pandas got all purchased by hipsters. My aunt had a 200k+ og 4x4 panda with busted interior and, within hours of publishing the ad, got more than what she did originally pay for the car after a quick bidding war between flannel wearers.
Panda 4x4s are loving legit, though. You're unlikely to find anything else without a low range box that's as good off road, and they'll scamper around even pretty serious terrain.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

opengl posted:

Never underestimate goons' ability to miss a joke

Lesson learned. In his defense, he does not appear to post over in the (strangely placed: Ask/Tell) new car buying thread so he wouldn't see that the RAV4 comes up either as a top pick or complaints about it is out of stock/DMU there almost every week

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This would look better with only the two doors.

Two doors without all the goofy poo poo on top might be acceptable. I guess they looked at how the 4 door wrangler is selling (gangbusters) and decided to skip the what would be iconic 2 door model?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
lol at that probe.

Looking forward to new Land Cruiser reviews hitting soon.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Watching all of us age and just wiff completely on what reality is doing is always a trip.

Absolutely and completely ignore what that little Cruiser looks like, ignore it's ugly and has four doors and whatever else YOU don't like about it. If it is affordable in context, it IS a small Toyota, maybe hybrid, LAND CRUISER which is already the look-down-on-Jeeps-and-Suburbans vehicle of choice for those that wouldn't be caught dead in an angry-eyed Jeep. It will sell incredibly well because there are no bad Land Cruisers and, depending on who you talk to, no bad Toyotas.

People that keeping bringing up a sixxer probe are really, really exposing themselves. It's a sixxer, it means less than nothing.

The new Jimny freakin rules and I'd kill to have one here in the USA.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 28, 2023

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Hadlock posted:

Lesson learned. In his defense, he does not appear to post over in the (strangely placed: Ask/Tell) new car buying thread so he wouldn't see that the RAV4 comes up either as a top pick or complaints about it is out of stock/DMU there almost every week

To be fair, I did say "I can't tell if you're serious or not"! As easy as it is for goons to miss a joke, it's just as easy for them to have whacky opinions too! :cheeky:

Reminder that while Japan makes the fun Jimny into baby G-Wagen/Land Rover/etc kits, the best is still the Maxtrax one-off giveaway Jimny 70 Series:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I like it

if it gets good enough gas mileage and has adaptive cruise, i'll take one.

and then sell my compromise softroader.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KakerMix posted:

The new Jimny freakin rules and I'd kill to have one here in the USA.

One popped up for sale on Facebook just now for $32k usd, 10k miles supposedly 2023 model. Looks like it's registered in Mexico, with some kind of temporary revokable us cross border registration thing. There is a photo of it being gassed up at a H.E.B. so it's at least been here once as that's a Texas chain

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
This is bleeding into the JDM import thread, but 25-year rule Jimnys aren't uncommon:

https://www.jdmcarandmotorcycle.com/details/used-1998-suzuki-jimny-samurai-wide-4wd/93146500

Yes, I'm tempted to buy that one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Failson posted:

This is bleeding into the JDM import thread, but 25-year rule Jimnys aren't uncommon:

https://www.jdmcarandmotorcycle.com/details/used-1998-suzuki-jimny-samurai-wide-4wd/93146500

Yes, I'm tempted to buy that one.

Woof don't get an automatic one though, you have so little to work with displacement and power wise, the delays and loss with an automatic make it glacially terrible. You're familiar with the Import Thread so you're aware, but you can save quite a bit of money if you imported yourself too, plus you'd get to pick out exactly what you want assuming it pops up for sale at auction. I am curious about that generation of Jimny though, just very recently became legal. The ones before, that the new ones stylistically are based on the most, are fun but lovely tin cans. The new Jimny is nothing like that and is a legit good smooth and comfortable vehicle.

EDIT
Ah I see that's a Sierra, weird they don't mention that directly. Non turbo, 1.4 liter engine, as close to a Samurai as you can get! Maybe that one isn't so bad behind an auto.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

One popped up for sale on Facebook just now for $32k usd, 10k miles supposedly 2023 model. Looks like it's registered in Mexico, with some kind of temporary revokable us cross border registration thing. There is a photo of it being gassed up at a H.E.B. so it's at least been here once as that's a Texas chain

There's no laws anymore, just buy a new Jimmy and drive it. They're only about $22k new in Mexico.

The local Honda Ruckus club all runs without plates or insurance based on a wilful misreading of Tennessee state law, they have a guide of what to say to bamboozle when the police pull you over for riding a motorcycle without a license plate.

Anyway, apparently the leader of said club has gotten pulled over and repeatedly convinced a cop that "brake horsepower" is a different thing from "horsepower" and he gets to ride off on his unregistered vehicle.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably wise to insure the car at least, especially if it's capable of highway speeds. My citroen was/is (it's in storage) technically unplated with a novelty euro plate, but I could at least get insurance for it in case the ancient hydraulic brakes (with new lines) failed and drove over someone's mailbox

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Ive seen a couple new body style JIMNY's parked in the Galleria Parking Garage in Houston on my various work trips.
So people are either driving up from Mexico to visit, or they went and purchased from Mexico and just drove them back up to Texas and use them daily.
I should have looked on where the plates where from.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 29, 2023

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

what a coincidence, i am also known as the airbag man

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A temporary registered Jimny in Texas also allows you to side step toll fees, as Texas doesn't exchange licence plate data with other states (or didn't as late as 2016). There's a bunch of toll roads in Texas and a company with a state charter to continue building more

$25K, no emissions, no state taxes, no tolls; that's a pretty cost effective vehicle if you need to drive back to mexico at least twice a year. Interesting

Mexico also got the quad cab ranger for the longest time

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The new lexus shitbox has 5 blades for a closer shave.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Powershift posted:

The new lexus shitbox has 5 blades for a closer shave.

New generation Predator grill

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What are some other cars like the Toyota GR86/Subaru version?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Miata.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Similar how?

RWD with a manual?
BRZ
Miata/Fiat 124
Camaro
Mustang
Cayman
ATS-V
CT5-V
Corvette
BMW M2/3/4
GR Supra

Price and performance?:
BRZ
Miata
Mustang Ecoboost
Golf GTI
Used Cayman
Maybe a Civic type r?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mustache Ride posted:

Similar how?

RWD with a manual?
BRZ
Miata/Fiat 124
Camaro
Mustang
Cayman
ATS-V
CT5-V
Corvette
BMW M2/3/4
GR Supra

Price and performance?:
BRZ
Miata
Mustang Ecoboost
Golf GTI
Used Cayman
Maybe a Civic type r?

For price you’re not gonna get a civic type r or even a cayman. Low 30s is hot hatch territory.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Ehhhhh maybe

edit: lol cayman with actual stick

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 2, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/10/02/nhtsa-investigating-708000-ford-suvs-pickups-for-catastrophic-engine-failure/

quote:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is investigating more than 708,000 trucks and SUVs built by Ford and Lincoln due to reports of "catastrophic engine failures." The agency expands investigation of vehicles all powered by a turbocharged 2.7- or 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6.

It's ok now tho, Ford is using a different alloy for the valves for the beta testers that buy 2023 models

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/10/02/nhtsa-investigating-708000-ford-suvs-pickups-for-catastrophic-engine-failure/

It's ok now tho, Ford is using a different alloy for the valves for the beta testers that buy 2023 models

The Ford 1.0T is a gigantic disaster but at least they haven't sold very many of them in the US at all. Many are going to break but owners will just get hosed over: https://www.thedrive.com/news/self-clogging-ford-oil-pumps-lead-feds-to-investigate-1-0-liter-ecoboost-engines

The 2.7L in the Bronco though that's dropping valves? They're hosed. You can't fail that horribly in a high volume segment.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Interesting that the older 2.7s aren’t affected. No Fusion Sports on that list

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mustache Ride posted:

Price and performance?:
BRZ
Miata
Mustang Ecoboost
Golf GTI
Used Cayman
Maybe a Civic type r?

More price than anything

Forgot about the Miata

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

The 2.7L in the Bronco though that's dropping valves? They're hosed. You can't fail that horribly in a high volume segment.

After all those people paying the ridiculous markups for a bronco too. I'm so glad I never bought a maverick because of that bullshit, no Ford is worth a markup, and apparently not worth MSRP either.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Built ford snuff

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mustache Ride posted:

Ehhhhh maybe

There's the Boxser too. More choice there with the budget since they can be a bit older. You'd have to DIY or count with much higher maintenance compared to a hot hatch of course but might be worth it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Mustache Ride posted:

Ehhhhh maybe

Holy hell, I know used car prices are nuts but 30k for a 6 year old hot hatch with almost 100k miles.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Holy hell, I know used car prices are nuts but 30k for a 6 year old hot hatch with almost 100k miles.

I've wanted a 4 door Wrangler for awhile but I refuse to pay the inflated prices for them.

I can get a NC Miata with half the miles for half the price instead

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

A Proper Uppercut posted:

It’s all due to limited numbers for the Type R. The Golf R is a better car in all metrics but doesn’t ask that much in a used market because it’s not a limited edition

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Buy my 07 Yaris :v:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

Built ford snuff

Growing more and more convinced that the last truly good car Ford built was the 2010-2012 Fusion Sport. NA 3.5 V6, Aisin 6-speed autobox (also used by the Camry at the time), Mazda engineered CD3 platform. My mother has a '10 Sport and with 155,000 miles it drives exactly how I remember it did when it was brand new. Engine and trans haven't missed a beat.

Right after that car we started seeing exploding 1.0, 1.5, and now apparently 2.7 Ecoboosts, to say nothing of their dismal DCT that destroyed any good memories people had of the Focus here.

I have a childhood fondness for Ford but it's like they're having an internal competition to design vehicles that last exactly as long as the warranty and sometimes get too ambitious.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Coyote seems to still be a perfectly fine motor. But other than a V8 Mustang or F-150 I can't say I could ever see myself buying anything Ford builds right now. And I'm a "Ford Guy", or used to be I guess.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The 1.6 ecoboost has proven reliable after the faulty head gasket recall. It’s still a flawed design (coolant port in the head sandwiched between super thin block walls) but folks are getting tons of miles with 250+ hp on the 1.6

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Has the Maverick been out long enough to know its fatal flaw(s) yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
#1 flaw is dealers still charging 40k for base models.