Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
My mother, lives in the us, is traveling to germany and knows nothing about cell phones. She wants to be able to use a phone while in germany and is also currently looking to get a new cell phone plan. I have no idea what to suggest and would like to ask if there are any good options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

the rat fandom posted:

My mother, lives in the us, is traveling to germany and knows nothing about cell phones. She wants to be able to use a phone while in germany and is also currently looking to get a new cell phone plan. I have no idea what to suggest and would like to ask if there are any good options.

Need more info. I assume? She lives in the US. What phone does she have, what carrier does she have, how long is she in Germany ?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Duckman2008 posted:

Edited in 2012 !

I read the first page and yeah, it’s crazy looking back and seeing the differences.

I can make a new OP in the next few weeks, it would be pretty straight forward , but to the other persons point, do we need a new OP / thread or not ? I’m pretty 50/50, but happy to re make one.

The point of the new thread would be to reduce outdated information making new posters (rightfully) bounce from reading the thread before posting. In that light, having a more regular update schedule would help keep things easier to hold onto goon... viewership? goonership?

In my mind the OP isn't the sticking point, but the 300+ pages of content in various shades of obsolescence is. It's not easy for a novice to know when to start ignoring things if they go diving into the older posts (or where help might be if they want to mine other people's questions first), so it's conceivable that we could be reaching more people by doing a more-regular reboot with an OP with more guidance (eg, the iPhone thread).

Of course, if thread regulars tell me in just flappin' cheeks and talking out of my... yeah, not going to steamroll anyone on this. If you all feel like nothing would help the thread's ability to reach newbs, then I'll move on! To be clear, any reboot would also be stickied, so functionally all that's different is that the thread is new and easier to sift through.

The thread does work in it's current form, but I posited the question to regulars here in hopes to figure out if:
A) are we failing anyone looking for advice?
B) would a refresh help us avoid confusion/reticence to :justpost: from non-regulars?

Anyways, y'all do God's work in here and a healthy respect for helping so many people for so long- keep it up!

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 17, 2023

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Need more info. I assume? She lives in the US. What phone does she have, what carrier does she have, how long is she in Germany ?

Yes, she lives in the us and has an older phone. She currently has a prepaid plan with a company called straight talk, but wants to get a new phone as well as a new plan. She will be in germany for around 2 weeks.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Not so much for a phone as an accessory. I'm looking for a stylus for my Samsung S21+. I don't need something expensive for super detailed art or needs to be charged, but I lost the one I "procured" from my last job. My wrists are all hosed up, so using my thumbs has been an adventure in pain. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the rat fandom posted:

Yes, she lives in the us and has an older phone. She currently has a prepaid plan with a company called straight talk, but wants to get a new phone as well as a new plan. She will be in germany for around 2 weeks.

How much is her straight talk plan monthly ?

Like, she can get a post paid plan on Verizon, T-Mobile or ATT, it’s just whether it’s the same monthly or not.

Verizon for instance starts at $65 a month plus tax and fees for one line (as long as you do autopay with a debit card), and you can get a free iPhone 13 with 36 month contract.

The international travel is a different question. All 3 carrier initially lock phones for domestic only: Verizon for 2 months, ATT and TMo for the duration of payment plans.

She can also buy a phone via Apple or Samsung outright and then it’ll be unlocked.

What’s her current phone?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have a Pixel 4XL

I am looking for a cell phone with better cameras, and physically smaller. What are my options that wont break the bank?

I'm on US Mobile

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have a Pixel 4XL

I am looking for a cell phone with better cameras, and physically smaller. What are my options that wont break the bank?

I'm on US Mobile

Both the Pixel 6a and 7a are slightly smaller than the 4XL, and will have better cameras while still being way cheaper than other options.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Both the Pixel 6a and 7a are slightly smaller than the 4XL, and will have better cameras while still being way cheaper than other options.

What if I want a different phone than a Pixel?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What if I want a different phone than a Pixel?

Do you want to change to iOS or another Android OEM?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you want to change to iOS or another Android OEM?

I'd rather not go to iOS but I have considered it

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'd rather not go to iOS but I have considered it

This is pretty open-ended in that case. What don't you like about the Pixels? Any other particular needs or preferences?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

This is pretty open-ended in that case. What don't you like about the Pixels? Any other particular needs or preferences?

Primarily they're a bit too big, but I haven't liked the Pixels like I used to like the Nexus. I was thinking maybe the Asus Zenphone 10 instead. I also don't like even if you turn the selfie-face adjustment setting on this phone off, it still face adjusts anyways. There are other apps but it's apparently congruent to pixels

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/88694991/why-are-selfies-still-being-retouched-with-retouching-disabled-on-front-camera?hl=en

the iPhone SE is the right overall dimensions, but it's apple, and the specs are seemingly equivalent

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

How much is her straight talk plan monthly ?

Like, she can get a post paid plan on Verizon, T-Mobile or ATT, it’s just whether it’s the same monthly or not.

Verizon for instance starts at $65 a month plus tax and fees for one line (as long as you do autopay with a debit card), and you can get a free iPhone 13 with 36 month contract.

The international travel is a different question. All 3 carrier initially lock phones for domestic only: Verizon for 2 months, ATT and TMo for the duration of payment plans.

She can also buy a phone via Apple or Samsung outright and then it’ll be unlocked.

What’s her current phone?

She has a Galaxy J3 orbit. It sounds like a new plan may not be the ideal option if it takes that long to unlock a phone. Is there a cheap option to buy from apple or samsung that would come unlocked?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Country/Provider: Canada/Telus
Current contract status: Company is finalizing a new 3-year contract
Budget (phone/plan): Plan is sorted, just looking at devices
Features I know I want: I'm not a heavy user, I haven't done any gaming on my current device. I'll mostly use it for basic apps, browsing, Spotify and occasionally Netflix? My current device is an iPhone 12 and before that I believe I used a Samsung Galaxy S9. I guess I need the phone to last 3 years. I miss microSD storage but don't think the available models with that feature compare to the models available to me. I remember liking a split-screen feature I believe my S9 had.

Models I can choose from: iPhone 14 ($730ish), Samsung Galaxy S23($540ish), Google Pixel 7($260ish) and 7 Pro($660ish). If I want to go back to the Galaxy Note experience I could go out of pocket to get the Samsung S23 Ultra but as much as I miss the pen I don't think I can justify the cost. If there's another device in the range of those models listed I can inquire if employer is willing to provide it.

Levin fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 24, 2023

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
For those prices, the pixel 7 is an easy pick

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

What is the porting process like if you're doing a trade in for a new phone? My wife is going to be getting on my family plan from Verizon to AT&T and wants to get a new iPhone but the delivery time for various models and colors can be quite a lot. Should I think of it as porting in her current iPhone and then upgrading to a new one whenever it shows up? Which means I need to make sure her current phone isn't locked to Verizon before trying to port it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

What is the porting process like if you're doing a trade in for a new phone? My wife is going to be getting on my family plan from Verizon to AT&T and wants to get a new iPhone but the delivery time for various models and colors can be quite a lot. Should I think of it as porting in her current iPhone and then upgrading to a new one whenever it shows up? Which means I need to make sure her current phone isn't locked to Verizon before trying to port it?

She can keep her same number, she just needs to login to the Verizon account and get her account number and request a transfer pin.

You never know on inventory, but if looking for ang pro or pro max, they’re mostly backordered to October. Best bet is preorder phone via ATT or Apple, her phone stays on Verizon until new one comes in, when you turn on the phone it switches.

ATT won’t care if the phone is unlocked, but fyi her phone def unlocked Verizon unlocks phones after 60 days service. But yeah, she switches when you get new phone.

You’ll probably get a good trade in via ATT, just requires 3 year contact.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

She can keep her same number, she just needs to login to the Verizon account and get her account number and request a transfer pin.

You never know on inventory, but if looking for ang pro or pro max, they’re mostly backordered to October. Best bet is preorder phone via ATT or Apple, her phone stays on Verizon until new one comes in, when you turn on the phone it switches.

ATT won’t care if the phone is unlocked, but fyi her phone def unlocked Verizon unlocks phones after 60 days service. But yeah, she switches when you get new phone.

You’ll probably get a good trade in via ATT, just requires 3 year contact.

So the transfer will just sit in Verizons system until the AT&T activation goes through?

Is it possible to double dip on these new line BYOD bill credits and then do an upgrade trade in with the current promotions? I know you work with Verizon but I'm assuming these things are pretty universal?

edit: doing some googling, and it would appear to be unlikely to keep the BYOD credits.

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 25, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

So the transfer will just sit in Verizons system until the AT&T activation goes through?

Is it possible to double dip on these new line BYOD bill credits and then do an upgrade trade in with the current promotions? I know you work with Verizon but I'm assuming these things are pretty universal?

edit: doing some googling, and it would appear to be unlikely to keep the BYOD credits.

Yeah, her phone stays in the carrier, when you receive and turn on the phone, ATT sends a message to Verizon saying “switching now” essentially.

And yeah, if there is one thing ATT is pretty good at, it’s making sure you don’t double dip on promos lol. Def can’t do BYOD plus a trade in promo. In general no carrier would do that.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Shine posted:

I don't know if "phablet" is still a word, but anyway, if I'm accustomed to using cheap, serviceable phones (like my current Moto G5 Plus and previous Note 3), don't care about 5G, and want a bigass screen, is the Moto G Stylus my best option? The Moto G5 Plus is starting to feel a bit slow, and I miss having the larger screen like the Note had.

My carrier is Ting.

[...]

e3: I'm just gonna get the G Power. Seems like it ticks my boxes for under $200.

Alrighty, same as before except now the G Power is the one feeling slow. Specifically, it slows to a crawl when connected to Android Auto, which is annoying because I usually mess with my phone for a minute or two before I start driving, and having my phone bog down and freeze up makes that frustrating. It also sometimes hitches while both navigating Gmaps and playing music, which annoys me while I'm driving.

Anybody have a rec for a midrange Android phone with a large screen, preferably under $400? I need something that doesn't go to poo poo when connected to Android Auto.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

Alrighty, same as before except now the G Power is the one feeling slow. Specifically, it slows to a crawl when connected to Android Auto, which is annoying because I usually mess with my phone for a minute or two before I start driving, and having my phone bog down and freeze up makes that frustrating. It also sometimes hitches while both navigating Gmaps and playing music, which annoys me while I'm driving.

Anybody have a rec for a midrange Android phone with a large screen, preferably under $400? I need something that doesn't go to poo poo when connected to Android Auto.

Is your carrier still Ting?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

Is your carrier still Ting?

Yup!

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
My wife and I are on AT&T and currently pay $100/mo for the two lines on a "mobile share advantage" plan. I believe we share 6 GB of data and there's a month-to-month rollover. Either way, we never go over on data. I have looked at alternate providers but I'm in a small market and I think AT&T is the [only] way to go. We both have iPhones 11. I'd like to upgrade us to the 15 (probably just the base model). I'm looking at the offer they're running:

https://www.att.com/deals/ posted:

You’ll need to:
Purchase an eligible smartphone on a qualifying installment agreement, including taxes on full retail price (up front) and $35 activation/upgrade fee.
Activate/keep postpaid eligible unlimited voice & data wireless service (min. $75/mo. for new unlimited customers before discounts). AT&T may temporarily slow data speeds if the network is busy.
Trade-in an eligible smartphone in good working condition within 30 days of activation.

Then you’ll get:
Up to $830 in bill credits with smartphone trade-in value of $130 or higher
Up to $350 in bill credits with smartphone trade-in value of $35 to $129

Basically I need to change my plan to an unlimited one (an additional $1620 over 36 months) to get "free" phones. Is this worth it, or should I keep my current plan and explore other options to get value out of our current phones?

One wrinkle: my wife's phone is in good shape but mine has a chipped/cracked screen, so under AT&T's deal I'd only be eligible for the $350 credit on my phone. It seems like I could spend $100 to get the screen replaced and then be set for the $830 credit on my phone as well. Am I missing something?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shine posted:

In terms of bang for your buck it is going to be hard to beat a Pixel. A Pixel 6a will have a slightly smaller screen but a lot more horsepower than the Motorola, and it's currently $349 from Google. A Pixel 7 is closer in screen size to the Motorola, and is currently $599. Sales might be coming up soon, too, as the Pixel 8 is coming out next month.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In terms of bang for your buck it is going to be hard to beat a Pixel. A Pixel 6a will have a slightly smaller screen but a lot more horsepower than the Motorola, and it's currently $349 from Google. A Pixel 7 is closer in screen size to the Motorola, and is currently $599. Sales might be coming up soon, too, as the Pixel 8 is coming out next month.

Nice, then I'll keep an eye on 7 sales, with the 6a as backup. Thank you!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
First question - I have an eSIM compatible phone but have never used it before. I've always just purchased a SIM card at the various airports I've been to, stuck it in my phone, and it has worked 100% of the time. Does having a physical SIM card have any benefits over an eSIM? Perhaps the reliability or anything like this?

Second question - I want to get an eSIM/ SIM card for the US with data + minutes + text. Around 10GB to 20 GB for no more than a month - what is my best option here? Would something like the Mint Mobile eSIM work? I just need a US billing address + to physically be in the US to activate it right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

First question - I have an eSIM compatible phone but have never used it before. I've always just purchased a SIM card at the various airports I've been to, stuck it in my phone, and it has worked 100% of the time. Does having a physical SIM card have any benefits over an eSIM? Perhaps the reliability or anything like this?

Second question - I want to get an eSIM/ SIM card for the US with data + minutes + text. Around 10GB to 20 GB for no more than a month - what is my best option here? Would something like the Mint Mobile eSIM work? I just need a US billing address + to physically be in the US to activate it right?

eSIM and physical SIM are exactly the same coverage and function wise, just a difference of how they are setup.

I don’t know mint mobile but overall yes. Fyi the eSIM likely won’t program until you are on a US tower.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Looking to replace my old iPhone 7 soon because of battery issues. I'm interested in replacing it with an LTE watch like the Samsung Classic 6.
I do have a few questions about general use though.

1) How good at voice/texts/data is it?
2) Reception - Is it better/same/worse as an iPhone 7?
3) Is there a Wifi hotspot option? - I think it supports this and it's something I need.
4) Apps - I use Google apps quite a lot (Drive, Mail, Calendar, Keep). Can I use these directly or are there watch versions?
5) Same with banking/utility apps, is there any way to use these on the watch screen?
6) If not, can I use DEX? - Can I run this from the watch to my samsung tablet?
7) How good are the health and excercise features?
8) Any other advice/gotcha's about the watch option?
9) Would I be better of using the apple watch despite the price?

Related

8) Thinking of getting the Samsung a7 lite as my walking around tablet, any issues with using the wifi version with the watch and DEX?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the matter.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JamesieAB posted:

Looking to replace my old iPhone 7 soon because of battery issues. I'm interested in replacing it with an LTE watch like the Samsung Classic 6.
I do have a few questions about general use though.

1) How good at voice/texts/data is it?
2) Reception - Is it better/same/worse as an iPhone 7?
3) Is there a Wifi hotspot option? - I think it supports this and it's something I need.
4) Apps - I use Google apps quite a lot (Drive, Mail, Calendar, Keep). Can I use these directly or are there watch versions?
5) Same with banking/utility apps, is there any way to use these on the watch screen?
6) If not, can I use DEX? - Can I run this from the watch to my samsung tablet?
7) How good are the health and excercise features?
8) Any other advice/gotcha's about the watch option?
9) Would I be better of using the apple watch despite the price?

Related

8) Thinking of getting the Samsung a7 lite as my walking around tablet, any issues with using the wifi version with the watch and DEX?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the matter.

Sorry, but This is a terrible idea please do not do it, just get an iPhone SE or Samsung A54.

All watches are basically extensions of your phone and will not work as a replacement for a smartphone. You would be better off getting a flip phone versus a watch.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ok, I'm super torn on whether I want to replace my S20 FE with an iPhone 15 Pro Max, the Pixel 8 Pro or wait for the S24 Ultra. I've used Android for all my phones (mostly Samsung with a brief stint with the Nexus 6P) but I've never used the big selling points like sideloading or a lot of customization. I already have an iPad which I love, recently got the Apple TV which I love (Chromecast looked and felt way too cheap from my brief use) but I also have a Galaxy Watch. My concern is having to replace that with an Apple Watch and spend even more money. There's also the silly reason that my coworkers mostly use Android but my family uses Apple and keeps trying to get me to switch. Thoughts?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry, but This is a terrible idea please do not do it, just get an iPhone SE or Samsung A54.

All watches are basically extensions of your phone and will not work as a replacement for a smartphone. You would be better off getting a flip phone versus a watch.

You're right, I was trying to understand how the LTE watches work with apps and missed the point.

Thanks for that and the recomendation for the phones, they are a much better deal.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Update: I just picked up the Pixel 7a, and this thing loads Slay the Spire almost instantly! Good poo poo; thank you for the recommendation. :cheers:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shine posted:

Update: I just picked up the Pixel 7a, and this thing loads Slay the Spire almost instantly! Good poo poo; thank you for the recommendation. :cheers:

Glad to help!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I'm sure this comes up regularly:

Need to send in my Pixel 7 for warranty repair. Google rep said 5-10 business days. I'm ok with being sans-phone for a week or two but bad timing for work.

I no longer have an old device for backup.

What's the least-hassle option? Get a pre-paid android (work apps are all android) for a month? Stash it in a drawer for the next time this happens.

Can you even do cash burners anymore? Or is this something I will have to remember to cancel in a couple of weeks? I still see those "top off" cards in gas stations and grocery stores so that's more what I was thinking.

Or just buy an unlocked device and pop this Pixel' SIM in? My regular carrier (US, Verizon) will probably charge an activation fee, I'd imagine. Once is fine, but if I have to pay again when my replacement arrives then no thanks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The last option is the best one. AFAIK Verizon only charges for activation of phones bought through them (which further cements that it's a bullshit fee, but whatever).

I popped the SIM from my P6Pro right into my 8 and it Just Worked™.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I think Google made the Pixel impossible to lock to a carrier so a SIM that works in one should work in anything else.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pumped up for school posted:

Or just buy an unlocked device and pop this Pixel' SIM in? My regular carrier (US, Verizon) will probably charge an activation fee, I'd imagine. Once is fine, but if I have to pay again when my replacement arrives then no thanks.

It’s this. It a cheap phone somewhere. Swappa is pretty reliable.

Verizon will not charge you a fee for a SIM card swap. The “upgrade fee” is essentially a “purchase fee” is how I describe it. If you aren’t purchasing via Verizon or an affiliate directly, no fee.

AlexDeGruven posted:

The last option is the best one. AFAIK Verizon only charges for activation of phones bought through them (which further cements that it's a bullshit fee, but whatever).

I popped the SIM from my P6Pro right into my 8 and it Just Worked™.

This is correct, it is absolutely a bullshit fee.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Thank you all. I knew about Swappa and the unlocked/used phone market..I just convinced myself there was no way that the carriers would let it be that simple. Bought a phone on Marketplace. Wiped it. Works. Thanks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I don't really understand whats going on....

I have a 5a, i got over 2 years ago with google fi.

They said if i paid like 24 bucks a month i'd get an upgrade for free after 2 years and i wouldn't have to pay for this phone outright. I basically paid 576 dollars for my pixel 5a over 2 years... but i was able to expense it out to my company as part of my oncall phone.

I was eligible to upgrade in september so i went out tonight to look and what the upgrade was. It turned out to be a 7a and its 28 bucks a month for 2 years if i stay on the "upgrade" plan instead of buying the phone outright.

Or I can just get a Pixel 8 for 15 dollars a month without being part of the upgrade plan, just through the google fi store. Add 8 bucks a month for accidental damage repair like breaking the screen and its cheaper than the 7a upgrade and its an 8 instead interest free over 24 months.

what am i missing? i don't get it. Does the 8 suck? it looks neat?

why is their upgrade service so poo poo? are they just selling the 8 really cheap right now and if I'm not on the plan ill be paying like 400 bucks in 2 years or something if i want to upgrade because they won't have these sales?

Does everyone get this offer for a pixel 8 offer?

im thinking to just get the 8 and take my chances that they do another crazy sale in 2 years?

I feel like im missing something super obvious and just too stupid to see it. The buy it now price is only 8 dollars more over 2 years than paying a monthly fee... screen protections and insurance is an extra 8 bucks a month bit I will definitely use that.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 20, 2023