Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Barry Convex posted:

Gotham Knights is coming to Game Pass next week. I'm not likely to get around to it for a while and I doubt it'd run well on my current PC anyway, but is it worth playing at all as a single-player game for someone not interested in the multiplayer GAAS-esque aspects?

It's pretty fun as a single-player game, yeah. Its systems invite comparison to the Arkham games due to their similarities, which isn't especially flattering to the game, but if you play it on its own terms it's a decent open world action RPG that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Yeah. It also has the most emotionally healthy batfamily I have ever seen so that's a plus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, it's basically the closest you get to a Wayne Family Adventures game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah. It also has the most emotionally healthy batfamily I have ever seen so that's a plus.

And all it took was for Batman to... oh. :ohdear:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah it's fine as a single player game. The worst thing though is you need to compete tasks for each character to get their travel mechanic and it sucks to try and get around without it so you have to speed for that then repeat it four times.

It's also better to pick a character and not switch from them. The game doesn't really respect your time at all so if you try to play as all four you'll be grinding a ton. You can probably do two without it being too bad. I wanted to try them all but I never used Tim, barely touched Red Hood, and ended up using Nightwing and Batgirl for the majority of the game

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

omg chael crash posted:

Oh that’s fun, I wonder if they’ve fixed the performance at all.
They did, it's way better now. Still pretty CPU-heavy, but the massive shader compilation stutters on PC are gone and the performance in general has improved.

If you want more detailed analysis, here's Oliver from Digital Foundry taking a look at the game as it was six months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05sw8mdwc2U

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’d agree on not trying to play all four characters, but feel to switch up and see who you like. I was all in as Batgirl for a while, but by the end I was maining Nightwing, and Red Hood would get some occasional use.

Multiplayer is fun to goof around with if you just want to run around the city and stop crimes.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Batgirl is the most Arkham-y (and tanky to boot), but Robin's lowkey the most effective

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Robin is supposed to be the stealth master but weirdly for those stealth challenges where you're protecting Bruce's identity it's Batgirl who cakewalks through them.

At high level I'd say it's a toss-up between the two of them. With everything unlocked and with killer gear it becomes situational when picking who's best. If Robin had a better traversal move maybe I'd lean towards him but man, that teleport just ruins any flow when going across rooftops.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Oh my god the teleport sucks! I just biked everywhere as Robin. gently caress the teleport

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I did nightwing main, and I love his "glider" but gently caress those challenges

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah it's fine as a single player game. The worst thing though is you need to compete tasks for each character to get their travel mechanic and it sucks to try and get around without it so you have to speed for that then repeat it four times.

It's also better to pick a character and not switch from them. The game doesn't really respect your time at all so if you try to play as all four you'll be grinding a ton. You can probably do two without it being too bad. I wanted to try them all but I never used Tim, barely touched Red Hood, and ended up using Nightwing and Batgirl for the majority of the game

To add to this, if you only do single-player then yeah it will be a grind to maximize all characters but if you do try the multiplayer co-op and can go up against higher-level enemies you get tons of XP and close the gap quickly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gotham Knights doesn't give the best first impression, taking way too long to actually let you play the game. The opening cutscene is just interminable and does a poor job of selling why this fight between Batman and Ra's is so different that it leads to Batman's death.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Honestly the best parts of the game are the cutscenes of the bat family being a family, the overall game is a poorer version of arkham knight.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It’s okay. I’m glad I didn’t buy it — definitely a real game pass rear end game

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Azubah posted:

Honestly the best parts of the game are the cutscenes of the bat family being a family, the overall game is a poorer version of arkham knight.

Give me my Wayne Family Adventures visual novel, darn it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Azubah posted:

I don't agree with this, because at no point does Gotham Knights force you to drag a loving car around. Or do extended car combat sequences.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Question, except for the one time in the tutorial and the races, did anyone use the bike instead of any of the better options?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The bike was pretty good. I would have used it even more if there was a seamless transition from the rooftops/traversal into riding it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

The bike is so stupid looking tho

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Dawgstar posted:

Give me my Wayne Family Adventures visual novel, darn it.

This but unironically (or even less ironically if it was already unironic)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Question, except for the one time in the tutorial and the races, did anyone use the bike instead of any of the better options?

i used it a lot, especially in co-op when you have someone to chase around the city. It's good for riding around, and fighting random crime. The traversal powers I mostly saved for story missions.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

omg chael crash posted:

It’s okay. I’m glad I didn’t buy it — definitely a real game pass rear end game

That's right!

omg chael crash posted:

The bike is so stupid looking tho

That's right!

muscles like this! posted:

Gotham Knights doesn't give the best first impression, taking way too long to actually let you play the game. The opening cutscene is just interminable and does a poor job of selling why this fight between Batman and Ra's is so different that it leads to Batman's death.

That's wrong, that opening owned!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Beyond all the trend-chasing gameplay changes that kept me from even considering buying it very seriously despite having loved the hell out of all three (hell, four) prior Batman Arkham games, I think the thing I dislike the most about Gotham Knights from a distance is it's vibe

Say what you will about the Arkham games they definitely have a sort of punchy heightened comic book tone to them, even at their most mellow. The stuff I saw in the first 45 minutes or so of Gotham Knights (basically everything past the opening battle) gives me much stronger CW or bad DTV animated movie vibes.

Or it might just be my deep rooted virulent hate for cheap Halloween costume Batgirl's headpiece VS her classic cowl. I really loving hate that thing. I don't care if you eventually upgrade to the proper one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Oh, I assure I would pay a large sum of money for said VN.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Playing dress up was one of the best parts. Criminals learned to fear the Batgirl or Zur-En-Arrh!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I also want a Gotham Academy one.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

The one button melee system put me off enough to stop playing. I don’t know why exactly, just didn’t find it fun

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Red Hood was fun, blasting dudes and then just picking up and throwing the large enemies.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Super hyped for Spider-Man but seeing that gearing up for release, looking/presumably playing as good as it does/will, is making me wish all the more that Rocksteady or Batman, at the very least, even made by another company, hadn't been consigned to the live service game mines so hard for the majority of last gen and now this gen.

Either another Rocksteady Batman game or maybe something with a slightly different style but still a love letter to the comics on modern tech could be incredible. I mean loving Arkham Knight still looks really, really good today.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Super hyped for Spider-Man but seeing that gearing up for release, looking/presumably playing as good as it does/will, is making me wish all the more that Rocksteady or Batman, at the very least, even made by another company, hadn't been consigned to the live service game mines so hard for the majority of last gen and now this gen.

Either another Rocksteady Batman game or maybe something with a slightly different style but still a love letter to the comics on modern tech could be incredible. I mean loving Arkham Knight still looks really, really good today.

Gotham Knights exists. It isn't great but it isn't a GaS either

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Gotham Knights exists. It isn't great but it isn't a GaS either

It has a lot of the hallmarks of those games imo with the loot and resources and such, they literally debuted the initial announcement by showing you fighting Mr Freeze in a big fight and then said "and you can run this mission again and again with your friends to try and get better gear".

From you saying it's not a GaS I'd guess they pivoted away from that hard and I just didn't really notice that but not really interested in a semantic argument about what defines a live service game, either way, nothing I've seen of it made me particularly interested in playing it.

I'm imagining something that plays more in the Brave and the Bold/TAS space, graphically and tonally anyway. Something with colour and some of the weirder stuff from Batman's history. Wouldn't even have to be open world, I'd love an anthology type of game with a bunch of different styles, could have a noiry detective substory, a few weird sci fi ones, one where you team up with some of the supernatural DC characters and it gets a bit horror, maybe a straight adaptation of the Demons Quest from TAS to get your globetrotting epic Batman story. That kinda thing. Admittedly none of that will ever happen of course but a man can dream.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 14, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I mean, superhero game development leaves a lot to be desired. How Batman has been gone for a decade is a mystery to me. Most other DC heavy hitters are either no-shows or have been gone for even longer.

Marvel has tried, or at least let their licensees tried, but since the MCU started things have been dire. At least when it comes to games focused on a single hero.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Marvel has tried, or at least let their licensees tried, but since the MCU started things have been dire. At least when it comes to games focused on a single hero.

Well you can be tricky and be Guardians on the Galaxy and use a single hero but still include the whole team. Sadly I think people assumed it was going to be another Avengers and gave it a miss, which was a shame.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySWxnUqajQ0
Omni-Man trailer for MK1.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

Well you can be tricky and be Guardians on the Galaxy and use a single hero but still include the whole team. Sadly I think people assumed it was going to be another Avengers and gave it a miss, which was a shame.

I liked it and I don't really consider it a single hero game but also that game and The Avengers came out late. Even if they had been clear critical and commercial successes, the MCU is fifteen years old and what do we have to show for it, game-wise? (That was rhetorical, because the answer is sad.) Like I know modern game dev takes years but still.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Spider-Man 2 is already amazing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dawgstar posted:

Spider-Man 2 is already amazing.

It goes some crazy places, fast.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shirkelton posted:

It goes some crazy places, fast.

There's definitely been some choices made in what they pull from the source material. I'm not sure all of it is good (last third of the game spoilers) I'm not sure essentially turning Venom into Knull is all that interesting. The design is the superficial thing that draws people to Venom but the actual interesting thing about him as a foil for Spidey is the personal connection, the way Venom can mess with Peter in a way most of his villains at that point couldn't. Plus, tbh, the back part of the game just makes me miss Web Of Shadows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This game has got me wondering in very concrete terms:

Other than the presence of Knull, is there any meaningful difference between the Planet of the Symbiotes and King in Black storylines?