Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Creature posted:

Alex Horne’s jacket. Someone will need to wrestle him for it.
I considered that, but I hope they don't because it can't top Paul's drug mule take on hidden tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

dr_rat posted:

Haven't they already been leaked? Why are people still guessing?
r/taskmaster has extremely strict rules around spoilers, piracy and negativity. It's a community forum run like an official forum.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 27, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Every forum, group, sub or whatever I've found with a 'no negativity' rule is really just a list of the mods approved and offlimits personal targets. It's always arbitrary and spottily enforced, and it always makes the place terrible for any kind of meaningful discussion. loving reprehensible moderation.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Slyphic posted:

Every forum, group, sub or whatever I've found with a 'no negativity' rule is really just a list of the mods approved and offlimits personal targets. It's always arbitrary and spottily enforced, and it always makes the place terrible for any kind of meaningful discussion. loving reprehensible moderation.

Oh my God, shut the gently caress up already. How's that for some negativity?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I think the rule exists to stop every other post being " I hate Lou Sanders".

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Paladinus posted:

How's that for some negativity?
Pathetic.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Oh my God, shut the gently caress up already. How's that for some negativity?
One point.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Going straight from "some folks would rather learn about the next cast through official channels at the producers' pace" to THE SELF APPOINTED MODERATOR ELITE IS STIFLING LEGITIMATE DEBATE would be one heck of a take even for a show with much higher stakes than "will Julian Clary touch the beak"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

My Lovely Horse posted:

would be one heck of a take even for a show with much higher stakes than "will Julian Clary touch the beak"

There are no higher stakes than that what are you talking about

nerox
May 20, 2001
I am just happy the taskmaster thread is so active. Keep posting you filthy little ferrets.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Pablo Bluth posted:

At the risk of importing bullshit, why do people hate Lou Sanders? She's one of my favorite TM players and I enjoy her in other stuff too.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Damned if I can figure. I don't think she's even the worst from s8. Ian Stirling and Joe Thomas were both way less interesting that Lou Sanders.

The only contestant I genuinely disliked watching was Daisy May Cooper, though both Al Murry and Liza Tarbuck often rubbed me the wrong way. Really s11 on, I've loved every single person they've had.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It usually seems to be blamed on a loud, competitive nature that r/taskmaster don't like. The same is often leveled at Ian Sterling too.

I didn't mind her on the show, but I will admit there is something about her that puts me off other stuff like the the taskmaster podcast she hosted. I have the same feeling about Ryan Clark; fine on his appearance on the ny special but I really didn't enjoy him hosting the 200th Off Menu podcast episode.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 27, 2023

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Eh, I don't regularly hang out on reddit much in general but I like looking at the live threads sometimes and I wouldn't say they're overly strict about it from what I've seen. I've seen plenty of criticisms along the lines of "I don't particularly care for X in studio" or "X seems like they're not trying but not in a fun way" or whatever. I suspect a big part of it is that a lot of the more abrasive negativity tends to come down disproportionately on folks who aren't white dudes. Last season in particular I remember a lot of comments about Mae being boring (which I personally disagree but can see where people would get that) that got left up, and then a lot of comments about how anyone who liked them was just being woke and Greg was scoring them well because he was afraid of being canceled that got deleted.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Pablo Bluth posted:

It usually seems to be blamed on a loud, competitive nature that r/taskmaster don't like. The same is often leveled at Ian Sterling too.

I didn't mind her on the show, but I will admit there is something about her that puts me off other stuff like the the taskmaster podcast she hosted. I have the same feeling about Ryan Clark; fine on his appearance on the ny special but I really didn't enjoy him hosting the 200th Off Menu podcast episode.

Yeah, personally I think of them as "the brats". Season 8 is Joe Thomas, Paul Sinha, Sian Gibson, and the brats.

EDIT: Also, I just found this video of Mike Wozniak on Would I Lie to You and if for nothing else it's a must watch for his amazing dance moves near the end. No man has ever sauntered better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35EhoNTSI8M

Phigs fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 27, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I have the same feeling about Ryan Clark; fine on his appearance on the ny special but I really didn't enjoy him hosting the 200th Off Menu podcast episode.

I actually loved that one because of the open contempt he showed towards the format. It was a nice contrast to Claudia who was a superfan.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The only contestant I ever found annoying was Joe Lycett. And he was actually better on TM than in other things I see him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve yet to watch any of the Joe Lycett Travel Man episodes. Ayoade was so perfect as a man uncomfortable no matter how glorious the locale.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

woke kaczynski posted:

Eh, I don't regularly hang out on reddit much in general but I like looking at the live threads sometimes and I wouldn't say they're overly strict about it from what I've seen. I've seen plenty of criticisms along the lines of "I don't particularly care for X in studio" or "X seems like they're not trying but not in a fun way" or whatever. I suspect a big part of it is that a lot of the more abrasive negativity tends to come down disproportionately on folks who aren't white dudes. Last season in particular I remember a lot of comments about Mae being boring (which I personally disagree but can see where people would get that) that got left up, and then a lot of comments about how anyone who liked them was just being woke and Greg was scoring them well because he was afraid of being canceled that got deleted.

I once saw a post there made before the S14 finale that was a long diatribe on how wrong it was that Sarah Millican had a pretty high score and that it was so unfair that she was close enough in competition with Dara O'briain that she could win the series if Greg continued with his obvious bias towards her for the finale. Dara O'briain, who I believe still has the record for highest scoring contestant of all time, was apparently scored unfairly.

He was roasted in the comments before the post got removed after an hour or two. Didn't mind seeing that disappear at all, but I was enjoying the comments.

Mostly I'm glad the subreddit is closely moderated so that we no longer have to see a post about someones brand new, totally original idea of a Losers of Losers special/series every other day.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve yet to watch any of the Joe Lycett Travel Man episodes. Ayoade was so perfect as a man uncomfortable no matter how glorious the locale.

It's just not the same without Richard Ayoade. I could barely finish even the episodes with the comedians I normally find funny.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Oh the new episode isn't out yet, I saw so many new posts, but it was just posting about reddit. Shame.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Paladinus posted:

The only contestant I ever found annoying was Joe Lycett. And he was actually better on TM than in other things I see him.

He was the one who looked sleepy and "about to start crying" the whole season in all studio segments, right?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
that was joe thomas (8), not joe lycett (4)

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Leatherhead posted:

At the risk of importing bullshit, why do people hate Lou Sanders? She's one of my favorite TM players and I enjoy her in other stuff too.

She is a woman and it's reddit

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

jimmydalad posted:

I need to find a way to work “It’s quite hard work for an aging homosexual” into my everyday life. I love this cast and I enjoy the old, queer vibes Julian emanates by his very existence. The cast in general seems pretty unhinged and I hope the season continues as it started.

One episode in and he feels like the standout to me. He's got such an elegance and quiet confidence it makes all the quips hit so well.

Paladinus posted:

It's just not the same without Richard Ayoade. I could barely finish even the episodes with the comedians I normally find funny.

I thought Steven Fry worked, as he had that kinda old-man-with-a-boy-inside-marveling-at-all-the-tech aspect to him.

Slyphic posted:

She's great on the show. But, I never really got into the People's Podcast in very large part because it didn't sound like she was at all interested in it. Aloofness is fine, but it just sounded like someone doing the minimial viable work to get a paycheck, which really seemed to validate that the People's Podcast was an extraneous attempt to double the podcast bucks coming in.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Jenny Eclair is hosting that podcast now along with the old co-host I believe so might be worth a listen if you stopped before.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The people's podcast has been doing a lot more interviews with behind the scenes people and contestants from other series lately. They interviewed Danielle Walker from AU complete with audio clips from parts of the episodes for one. It seems to have moved on a bit from "here's a person who says they're in love with Greg Davis". There's still pointless stats, but the whole joke is that they're completely meaningless, like if the contestant wore a hat.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Lou Sanders is a one-trick pony whose constant pretending to be dim and saying the same poo poo about loving all the time gets really boring and samey.

Is a thing I, specifically, think. But also, you know, "let people enjoy things/people/whatever"

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

thebardyspoon posted:

Jenny Eclair is hosting that podcast now along with the old co-host I believe so might be worth a listen if you stopped before.

I love Jenny Eclair so I'm definitely actually going to check it out. Thanks for letting me know!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I think I've said this before but John Robins is the person I most wanted but never thought would do it because, well, they're going to have a breakdown, aren't they?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Portcullis. PORTCULLIS!

Another good episode. I thought Sam would be the weird one this series, but it turns out the entire cast are nuts. Susan’s mischief task was amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Inferior posted:

Portcullis. PORTCULLIS!

Another good episode. I thought Sam would be the weird one this series, but it turns out the entire cast are nuts. Susan’s mischief task was amazing.

It’s wild that Julian Clary might be the most staid and normal of them all. :allears:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I was already primed to, but really loving Sue Perkins on the series so far. "Aspirational but attainable" was great. And I did like how her task forced Alex to think laterally to get all the lollipops in his mouth at once - put them in the wrong way round. Good live task, hope to see it in the scandi-taskmasters next year.

Speaking of which, we finally have an air date for the first Champion of Champions outside of the UK - the Danish edition starts airing at the end of October. Four episodes, really raising the bar with it as well. I don't know if this is just subconscious bias, but I feel like in the UK version they have used slightly "grander" tasks for CoC - like "Perform a Miracle" or the tough duckpond task at the end of CoC II. Maybe they have slightly higher expectations for the champions - they push them a bit harder? So I'm interested to see whether that aspect translates - if indeed it even exists?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I want to know what Jacob Mogg wrote.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

PORTCULLIS

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

I want to know what Jacob Mogg wrote.

Hilariously, his office is in Portcullis House.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Susan definitely picked the right victim for her mischievous prank. What a great and simple task!

I suspect that the tie-breaker they lifted from TMNZ was supposed to be a regular task, but nobody came up with anything better than rote memorisation.

I also suspect that the secret task is to create and hide a secret task.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I really love Sam, just seeing him standing there with a card that says "World Cinema / Negative Gearing" was killing me

Glad to see he's on Ed's podcast this week :D

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Who are these fools. I want names dammit! She was great on TM I thought.

The only contestants I've hated were Jo Brand due to her I dont give a gently caress and wont even bother trying which was old quick and disappointing, David Baddiel for mostly the same reason except Jo could make it funny once in awhile. Having them both in the same season really dragged things down, the other 3 that season did a drat good job of carrying the show. And the one I dislike the most is Richard Herring, because I've found him to be extremely needy and annoying and the only try hard contestant I've truly disliked. The other try hards just seemed to be competitive while he was incredibly needy. He HAD to win because he HAD to show everyone how great a contestant he was. I will die on the hill that Daisy May Coopers hippo drawing was perfectly fine, there were certainly changes I would have made though. Maybe its just cause I dislike herring so much but I found her anger towards him slightly justifiable.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

Susan definitely picked the right victim for her mischievous prank. What a great and simple task!

I suspect that the tie-breaker they lifted from TMNZ was supposed to be a regular task, but nobody came up with anything better than rote memorisation.

I also suspect that the secret task is to create and hide a secret task.

IIRC it was the other way around and the NZ version was supposed to just be a tiebreaker but then Chris Parker lost his mind