Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I can't believe we've gotten to the point where we're upset with not being given opportunities to spend hundreds of dollars for hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
yeah I'm a little bummed out, I stopped playing for a few years and missed some nice skins. was hoping they'd bring them back as a celebration of 10+n years of doter

Sab669 posted:

Actual post: I hope they nerf Midas; I'm sick and tired of loving everybody building one :(

new ability every hero gets: midas

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Mr.Acula posted:

doing another loop of the all hero challenge and im back at Io, its been a while what are some cool dumb build ideas to gently caress around with on him?

I'm playing io too, someone plz tell me how to get good.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Did they hotfix the Midas backpack bug where the cooldown was reducing?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Zeruel posted:

yeah I'm a little bummed out, I stopped playing for a few years and missed some nice skins. was hoping they'd bring them back as a celebration of 10+n years of doter

new ability every hero gets: midas

They actually did just did this for the anniversary package thing and then extended it for a bit. Probably not every hat you wanted but some good ones.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I guess they did bring back Ursa cowboy hat, ill give them that.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
they should have brought back that FV mace model that was lifted from some mmorpg

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know whether anyone actually likes Alpine Stalker for any reason other than it being removed from the store. It's not even that unique considering poo poo like Ogre's Jakiro onesie is in the game.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Surely you like something in this world toot

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I'm playing io too, someone plz tell me how to get good.

IO feels like the hero that is hands down the most reliant on working well with another player. I can't imagine playing him ever in solo queue.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just use your mic to tell your pubbies where you're relocating them and assuming they don't have you muted it's not so bad.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

ShimmyGuy posted:

IO feels like the hero that is hands down the most reliant on working well with another player. I can't imagine playing him ever in solo queue.

Once you get into the decent mmr people mostly know what to do, otherwise yea it's a real gamble.

Also acknowledging that a 'decent mmr' doesn't actually exist.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should make you queue as a hero and do per-hero mmr

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The issue with io in lower skill is that you have to get your carry to go past their normal limits. They're usually playing around an assumed power curve and if they don't use your buffs and healing for some over extension you're just a creep. You have to be the one to call for a dive if you're opponents aren't already being the aggro ones and giving you the chance to be passively useful by responding to their aggression.

Getting sick relo saves and drop ins during mid game is great and all, but low skill early game is where you see io suck particularly hard.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 28, 2023

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Please don’t play io as a new player unless you plan to consistently queue with a person who will play 1 position and you can spend some time working it out.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Also you can do some cool multi stacking with wisps, but you have to remember to do that on time and not fail at it and not get your carry killed by loving off and they have to take the camp before the opp steals it but still.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

ILL Machina posted:

Also you can do some cool multi stacking with wisps, but you have to remember to do that on time and not fail at it and not get your carry killed by loving off and they have to take the camp before the opp steals it but still.

This is what I'm talking about, the Io tips. Tbh leaving lane to stack, deward, bounty, etc can all get your hc killed if they're a scrub.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

Honestly yeah if they're gonna do per-map ranking in CS2 they oughta do per-Hero ranking in Dota. Queuing as a hero would be whack though, drafting is a core part of the game, for better and worse.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Then maybe get higher MMR when you win on a hero you suck at, and less when playing your main ones?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I hadn't really thought it through so much I just want the game to tell people for me that I'm not going to be very good on most heroes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gonna be a good game

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
What hero were they and did they follow through and buy it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They're Slark, and is level 5 so no, they haven't yet.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm beginning to think they aren't really going to build one. Reported.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

I would disagree but last night I queued two games and had the same 4 both times. Game 1 he fed 20 kills on bane and saved people from my necro scythe with nightmare. Game 2 he went godlike on 4 zeus. I have no idea how else to fix this.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

In typical Valve fashion I don't think the dislike button actually does anything. You can dislike someone after a game and then get them not only in the same game but as your teammate in the next 2 games.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

In typical Valve fashion I don't think the dislike button actually does anything. You can dislike someone after a game and then get them not only in the same game but as your teammate in the next 2 games.

Dota is decades old social experiment with no moral standards.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
if you get stuck in a game with someone you've disliked valve should give you a hat after the match

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Is there still a way to avoid a player through dotaplus, or did the like/dislike completely replace it? I've been liking more players than I've been disliking so I haven't seen any ruffians return.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Best way to avoid shitheads in a game is to wait like ten minutes to queue after playing a game with them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Best way to avoid shitheads in a game is to wait like ten minutes to queue after playing a game with them.

:yeah:

Go refill your water / take a piss (2 separate tasks) before queueing after a bad game.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Dislike is not supposed to guarantee you don’t get them, it just weights future matches against them being on your team a bit. It mostly seems to do its job unless I’m playing us west where there aren’t many people

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Haven't played in a bit. There used to be a account based list of other accounts you never wanted to play with again.. Was limited to like ten entries. Is that a thing still?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

You can avoid people you’ve played with but you gotta be paying for plus.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://www.dota2.com/patches/7.34d

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Hello. Just installed Dota2. How can I change my nickname to be something other than the default Steam profile name?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I think they're one and the same so when you change your dota name your steam name changes too

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Really? Why that sounds incredibly dumb.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

bad_fmr posted:

Really? Why that sounds incredibly dumb.

Ho ho boy, have I got news for you about Dota 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Valve games generally haven't allowed a distinction between your in-game name and Steam name for years because people are too prone to doing unsavory things with it. I also imagine it's just easier for them to implement things that way.

Geight fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 6, 2023