Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anyone got any hot picks for the SHMUP sale?? SHMUP me up oh ye goons

Super Hydorah is one of the OG indie classics that really made me love the shmup genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Nova Drift is extremely good, but I wouldn't call it a shmup. It's a roguelite twin stick shooter.
It is part of the SHMUP sale, though. :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

shumps

Orv
May 4, 2011
WARNING: Genre definitions approaching fast

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
My favorite Shoot em' up is Doom, in which you shoot up all the demons with your guns.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a Character Action Game is any game where there are characters and they do actions, or have actions done unto them

Snake Maze posted:

My favorite Shoot em' up is Doom, in which you shoot up all the demons with your guns.

actually Doom is a role-playing game, in which you play the role of UAC space marine, Jeffrey Doom

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
In this essay I will explore how Doom (2016) is actually the quintessential MMORPG

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Hwurmp posted:

a Character Action Game is any game where there are characters and they do actions, or have actions done unto them
Character action meaning DMC-like doesnt bother me for some reason, but immersive sim meaning FPS with terminals to turn off turrets does. I imagine a lot of people have similar petty baseless grievances which is why genre talk is always so spirited.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

In this essay I will explore how Doom (2016) is actually the quintessential MMORPG

It's massive. Game is fuckin' huge. It has huge guts. Rip and tear.
Multiplayer? You better believe it. A berserker packing man and a half is all the multiplayer you need.
Online? Might makes light, and I feel mighty.
Rocket Propelled Grenade? You better fuckin' believe it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Hwurmp posted:

actually Doom is a role-playing game, in which you play the role of UAC space marine, Jeffrey Doom

Pfft, look at this poser reciting the new Doom lore. Real fans know that your character was originally John Doomguy.
:goonsay:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Did someone say genre definitions?

https://www.theouterhaven.net/2021/10/diablo-ii-resurrected-review-ps4/

quote:

Just about everyone knows about Diablo II. It was the original hardcore rogue-like game long before the concept of rouge-like games even existed

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'd ask if that was written by ai but it probably wouldn't have misspelled rogue-like as rouge-like the second time

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I define this genre of writing as "garbage"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No Wave posted:

Character action meaning DMC-like doesnt bother me for some reason, but immersive sim meaning FPS with terminals to turn off turrets does. I imagine a lot of people have similar petty baseless grievances which is why genre talk is always so spirited.

all of the genre names that are applied to the likes of System Shock are absolutely dumb

still way less dumb than music genres at least

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

I was going to say that the perks in New Vegas were cool, but that’s not Bethesda.

I still think about the goon who totally misunderstood what “Confirmed Bachelor” meant :allears:

:same:

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Epic just laid off a bunch of people

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1707408260330922054

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And mediatonic just landed a big collab with ffxiv too

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

They are running out of fortnite money and figure their next big thing should be made by a lot less people

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

RBA Starblade posted:

This is amazing holy poo poo
The highway mode was the greatest uncontrolled chaos mode in the entire history of FPS games, even Battlefield Hardline couldn't measure up. They also made some amazing vehicle crash physics in the Source engine of all things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVlULVf-ev8

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Awesome! posted:

it might finally be time for me to buy zeroranger

Always a good time for this, ZeroRanger is sensational.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

This dumb article aside, the original Diablo actually was very close to a traditional roguelike with graphics.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

When is Ubisoft buying all the bored apes for a new rabbids game?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

lordfrikk posted:

This dumb article aside, the original Diablo actually was very close to a traditional roguelike with graphics.

I believe the original Diablo was actually made AS a traditional roguelike with turn-based combat before they turned off the turn limit and went "...hey this is fun let's keep it that way" and revolutionized a genre.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I believe the original Diablo was actually made AS a traditional roguelike with turn-based combat before they turned off the turn limit and went "...hey this is fun let's keep it that way" and revolutionized a genre.

Too lazy to find the video in which the dev explains it, but yeah. Someone else at Blizzard asked what it would take to make it realtime, and he gave an estimate of 3 to 6 months. Then he made the swap from turn based to real time that afternoon.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Clockwerk posted:

Too lazy to find the video in which the dev explains it, but yeah. Someone else at Blizzard asked what it would take to make it realtime, and he gave an estimate of 3 to 6 months. Then he made the swap from turn based to real time that afternoon.

You're underselling the way this happened, which was setting the game to run at a 60-turns-per-second clip.

So technically it's still kind of a roguelike if you wanna get galaxy-brained with it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clockwerk posted:

Too lazy to find the video in which the dev explains it, but yeah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VscdPA6sUkc&t=1366s

Orv
May 4, 2011
So really when you think about it Diablo ruined roguelikes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

*rougelikes

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Orv posted:

So really when you think about it Diablo ruined roguelikes.

This was a real take that went around for a while, like '08 or so.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

This was a real take that went around for a while, like '08 or so.

Entirely unsurprising.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The fact that the first Diablo is a real-time roguelike that was based on the existing Roguelike genre is exactly why I thought that article saying that Diablo 2 was the first Roguelike was funny :kiddo:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

I tried playing a lot of different shmups but none of them really hooked me except one.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1975360/DRAINUS/
I couldn't put it down until I 1 cc'd it.
It has this really fun and unique mechanic where you constantly alternate between weaving absorbing enemy shots and the addition of that extra defensive mechanic makes the game feel really good.
It also has a pretty in depth system for customizing your ship which is a lot of fun.

I haven't been able to find a shmup that I had this much fun with ever since.

iirc this is one of those massive itch bundles from the past few years, so check there first if you haven't bought it

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Orv posted:

Entirely unsurprising.

I haven't seen it for a while, probably because if someone wanted to get upset at roguelikes being real time they'd have other targets.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's a 1-level demo out for Duke Nukem-inspired FPS The Last Exterminator. Seems decent enough, although the SMG is piss weak and there's an obnoxious amount of buggos who are ready to shoot at you the moment they see you.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

explosivo posted:

It's fun! The "Heroes of the Inner Sphere" dlc adds a career mode that was really what I wanted out of that game instead of a story campaign. There's also mods out there that improve the experience by adding new mission types, bigger battles, and better AI for your lancemates.

Oh interesting! Since I was wondering about MW5, too. Does the career mode actually have a good sense of progression/escalation until it reaches its conclusion, though? Or is it just like, 'play infinite randomly-generated missions on the same ten maps until you get bored'?

(EDIT: oops, that quote's several pages old... :v: Thought I was on the last page. Apologies!)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hwurmp posted:

There's a 1-level demo out for Duke Nukem-inspired FPS The Last Exterminator. Seems decent enough, although the SMG is piss weak and there's an obnoxious amount of buggos who are ready to shoot at you the moment they see you.

Huh? That wasn't my experience, the SMG was a real bullet hose up close though I switched to the double barrel against those rhinoceros beetle guys.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sure it shoots lots but imo it takes way too many bullets to kill even basic pistol bugs on Normal

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Cool shooty game that everyone loves but no one's talked about since May, CULTIC has a couple bucks off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you liked Blood, definitely try Cultic