Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
don't understand the answers on the illegal immigrant children

"they broke the law therefore they are not subject to the jursidiction of our laws"

ummm wtf? how can they be breaking the law then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
They just asked about protecting LGBTQ people. Who wrote these questions? They're not very Fox News of them.

They moved on very very quickly.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 28, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I am convinced that all the otehr candidates really hate Ramaswamy too

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

OctaMurk posted:

I am convinced that all the otehr candidates really hate Ramaswamy too

Oh, they very clearly loathe him.

I doubt any of them really like each other, but Vivek the hate particularly--and he's a good target to go after, being high among the polls (at least, "high" as far as Not-Trumps go).

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Pence asked a question about why he didn't end Obamacare when they held all three branches of government and I start to tune out in expectation of the incoming word salad and suddenly my wife and I both go what the gently caress? as he starts talking about executing mass shooters.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s a debate so I know but it’s genuinely impressive how so many people can never answer a direct question and just talk about whatever they want so consistently.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Oh and thanks Christie now I've got the image of Dark Brandon getting giggy with it and as if that wasn't bad enough Pence has to talk about sleeping with Mother.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

All I know is Fox News is never inviting that Univision moderator back.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I thought the moderators asked pretty good questions, and did try to get the debate under control short of actually cutting the mics which I think they arent allowed to do

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mike Pence firmly establishing that he fucks was the funniest thing.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Relevant Tangent posted:

Mike Pence firmly establishing that he fucks was the funniest thing.

i'd sure hope so; he's got two kids!

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Nothing interesting here, just multiple candidates for President of a major political party casually talking about declaring war on Mexico.

Is the strategy to make Trump seem moderate?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

What did they do? I didn't get to see it.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Zotix posted:

What did they do? I didn't get to see it.

Asked good questions. I mean no one is answering them, but they're good questions.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

I do not like Mr. Vivek, in fact I dislike him more than anyone else on this stage

I'm trying to decide on a TrumpyBear nickname for him, and what I've got so far is Sheev, Sheevek, and Dalek Ramaswamy. Think I'm going for Dalek Ramaswamy for now. Haven't seen most of this debate yet so maybe he'll live up to one of them.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Onomarchus posted:

I'm trying to decide on a TrumpyBear nickname for him, and what I've got so far is Sheev, Sheevek, and Dalek Ramaswamy. Think I'm going for Dalek Ramaswamy for now. Haven't seen most of this debate yet so maybe he'll live up to one of them.

trump is gonna say, "ramasmarmy or whatever" and then vivek will turn to dust

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

trump is gonna say, "ramasmarmy or whatever" and then vivek will turn to dust

they're not enemies yet. vivek is running as the pro-trump candidate in trump's absense, and, if convicted, vivek would in theory have placed himself in the position of being the party's choice in lieu of jailed trump. it's an insane strategy, but so are the other candidates'

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Onomarchus posted:

You, I and the entire world know that it's going to be "Swami".

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Given how deranged the gop is getting I imagine if push comes to shove trump will just drop a full on slur.

I have to say, I know Chris Christie is a ghoul but I genuinely love seeing him just total people on the debate stage. It gives me fond memories of the end of Rubio.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Onomarchus posted:

my experience with being online in the 2000s tells me it's going to be Vivek Ramalamadingdong

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Vain Vivek came up on the Behind the Bastards podcast and I think that’s on the same level as Low-Energy Jeb or Lying Ted

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

E-Z Bake Vivek

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zwabu posted:

Vivian Random Swami

I hate these clowns a whole lot and I kinda want to die, but I'm going to enjoy watching his career implode

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I sort of like how David Pakman pronounces it, veh-FAKE.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FWIW the media seems to be settling on Haley giving the best debate performance, but also that the debates don't matter at all.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Name Change posted:

FWIW the media seems to be settling on Haley giving the best debate performance, but also that the debates don't matter at all.

Haley and Christie are the only ones that sounds like normalish people and Christie is the only one I would have a beer with

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

Haley and Christie are the only ones that sounds like normalish people and Christie is the only one I would have a beer with

Eww, he's a Republican. Don't drink with poo poo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OctaMurk posted:

don't understand the answers on the illegal immigrant children

"they broke the law therefore they are not subject to the jursidiction of our laws"

ummm wtf? how can they be breaking the law then?

it is a completely insane legal argument trying to sidestep an utterly, incontrovertibly* black and white clause in the constitution

* - there's probably an only mostly insane reading where a child of two unauthorized immigrant parents born on a tribal reservation doesn't get instant citizenship but stripping citizenship from two children per decade isn't exactly what these monsters are going for

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

OctaMurk posted:

Haley is just as much of an insane transphobe as the worst of them and Christie has historical evidence against him that he's a worm with a mile sized grudge against anyone that goes against him on par with Trump's. He'd throw anyone or anything under the bus for the presidency or for legacy.

Just because they look normal doesn't mean they both aren't hateful shambolic wrecks trying to resemble a decent human.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Roe being overturned was a massive unforced error for the right and I think Trump is going to pick Haley for VP in an attempt to appeal more to women on the basis of her moderate (for republicans) abortion response.

I hope I’m wrong but I do think Trump is absolutely going to win in 2024.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

bloodysabbath posted:

I hope I’m wrong but I do think Trump is absolutely going to win in 2024.

Same. And it kind of bugs me when I see so many people writing off the possibility

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
He's going to lose to Sleepy Joe with nearly or probably exactly the same states as 2020, with the same claims of fraud, and yell about it until one of them dies. If Donnie goes first he'll go cackling at how everyone, especially his enemies, thinks he's special.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Since we're making predictions:

Trump will lose, and the Dems will take the House

The Dems will also keep the Senate (50 seats)

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I really don't see how Trump is going to win having already lost once to Biden and the GOP consistently underperforming in elections.

Unless uneducated white people really are that unhinged and just can't help themselves to vote for the guy a second time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mustang posted:

I really don't see how Trump is going to win having already lost once to Biden and the GOP consistently underperforming in elections.

Unless uneducated white people really are that unhinged and just can't help themselves to vote for the guy a second time.

They are.

Plus, every President has lower enthusiasm for their re-election, the out party generally has higher enthusiasm, and you don't have an ongoing major crisis like COVID and Trump's first term to motivate people.

It is definitely not impossible.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Several recent polls have Trump and Biden in a dead heat. Polls this far out (and polls in general) are not very useful but it's really foolish to think that Trump (or Biden) couldn't win again. Biden crushed the popular vote, but in the actual swing states that carried him to an EC victory, his margin of victory was pretty slim. Trump could absolutely flip that small amount depending on how things are going in late 2024.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are.

Plus, every President has lower enthusiasm for their re-election, the out party generally has higher enthusiasm, and you don't have an ongoing major crisis like COVID and Trump's first term to motivate people.

It is definitely not impossible.

I'd argue that Trump never really left and is a known (and hated) quantity. The way Democrats see it, he is responsible for everything being bad, him and the Republicans, and draw a straight line from Trump being in power to now (lack of abortion access, etc.).

I don't think it's impossible, but extremely unlikely that he wins. He will get absolutely ripped apart in ads. There's a lot that's unprecedented with Trump. Losers also don't typically win again, and even Grover Cleveland won the popular vote all three times.

Queering Wheel posted:

Several recent polls have Trump and Biden in a dead heat. Polls this far out (and polls in general) are not very useful but it's really foolish to think that Trump (or Biden) couldn't win again. Biden crushed the popular vote, but in the actual swing states that carried him to an EC victory, his margin of victory was pretty slim. Trump could absolutely flip that small amount depending on how things are going in late 2024.

Trump has yet to face the onslaught of ads that's coming his way, and the Swifites don't pick up their phone during polling calls.

Being a little more serious, while Biden's margin wasn't great in the close states, Trump would have to flip them all back to win. That's what's hard - it going the right way in disparate states. And Republicans are doing poorly in many of those states now - AZ, MI, PA, WI come to mind.

small butter fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 29, 2023

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Trump's campaign is absolutely bleeding money from what I've been reading. I'll be curious how it works out for him through next year. He just may not have the money to run ads when it's needed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Zotix posted:

Trump's campaign is absolutely bleeding money from what I've been reading. I'll be curious how it works out for him through next year. He just may not have the money to run ads when it's needed.

He still has plenty of money.

He has raised an enormous amount of money, but he is diverting his "outside spending" that would normally go to Super PACs to his legal defense fund. He can't use any actual campaign money for it.

He's raised well over $140 million through his campaign and various political funds. But, he's spent about $22 million on his legal defense. He's "wasted" a large amount of money, but still has a good bit. He can also theoretically go back to the same donors for more money because they are "outside political organizations" and not part of his campaign.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

And still three months until Iowa caucuses.

And almost nine months until the last primaries!

What a silly season.