Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

For some reason I thought the bad guy CEO was Stephen Fry but it was a completely different dude. His speech blasting the history of racing when Speed turned him down was wild as gently caress acting. That guy should be on more big roles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

He had a pretty good role in V for Vendetta as well as the blowhard TV personality. Not to be confused with Stephen Fry who also played a blowhard TV personality in the same movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Plutonis posted:

For some reason I thought the bad guy CEO was Stephen Fry but it was a completely different dude. His speech blasting the history of racing when Speed turned him down was wild as gently caress acting. That guy should be on more big roles!
He was great as Robert Maxwell in the Tetris movie, he's excellent at playing over the top slimey evil dudes

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

He also played Javert in the first London cast of Les Mis

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

herculon won our next pick

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Won it legit as far as I know

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I liked a lot about Speed Racer, from the Racer family dynamic (abetted by strong performances from Sarandon and Goodman) to the racing visual effects to the music. The CGI shows its age and Chim Chim/Spritle were a little much, though. Roger Allam was perfect as Royalton. Hirsch as the titular role was kinda eh, but I did like his line "Get that weak poo poo off my track." Ricci was good too. The racing action was frenetic but I never felt lost in it. Quite an enjoyable film, coming from someone who's never seen or read the source material

The "nonjas" line was brilliant

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Martman posted:

He was great as Robert Maxwell in the Tetris movie, he's excellent at playing over the top slimey evil dudes

He's basically playing Robert Maxwell in this movie so that makes sense.

I haven't seen Speed Racer since it was in theaters and I am no longer a fan of the special effects in this. The races being super cartoony works well, but all the shots of people just being in a room are super flat. It's super obvious that every set in the movie doesn't actually exist. Still even with everything being on a green screen everyone put in a really strong performance and all the action scenes are a lot of fun.

3/5

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Crank High Voltage, i've seen Crank so I'm familiar with the lore but still appreciated all the flashbacks to remind us of what happened in the first one. this is incredible filmmaking, Michael Bay wishes he could have a camera so disconnected from physics and linear time. the running scenes are amazing, i couldn't say if Chev was supposed to be runnning 5 miles or 50 feet btu he sure was running. lots of great gags and lots of terrible ones, i was partial to the guy getting therapy and the kaiju fight.

its kind of an incredible feat that they managed to make a 90-minute movie with maybe half a second of downtime in the entire thing. a lot of the scenes were just awful but you can't say Taylor and Neveldine weren't trying as hard as possible. i couldn't help but enjoy how enthusiastic the film feels, clearly made by people who first and foremost love film and set out to prove you can make something wild with a relatively small budget

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

Speed racer, first time I’ve seen it. Maybe I’m getting old but a lot of the racing was completely incomprehensible , the tracks distorting weirdly, cars jumping all over and bouncing off each other like beyblades, it was too much to keep track of. The ending of the big final race was hilariously overindulgent, like you could just watch that five minutes and get the entire plot of the movie. And a lot of the kid/monkey humor might have been sincere but was still just eye rolling dumb. That all being said there’s a lot of good in the film. The set and production design is outstanding, good performances from all of the leads, some really bizarre and memorable lines. And there are some really beautiful shots, like the one with the truck posted upthread. Kudos to the cast and set decorators but enough scenes look like poo poo (basically anything in the bad guy’s skyscraper) that I’m going to call this a bad movie on balance. Glad movie club got me to finally watch it

Jenny Agutter posted:

Crank High Voltage, i've seen Crank so I'm familiar with the lore but still appreciated all the flashbacks to remind us of what happened in the first one. this is incredible filmmaking, Michael Bay wishes he could have a camera so disconnected from physics and linear time. the running scenes are amazing, i couldn't say if Chev was supposed to be runnning 5 miles or 50 feet btu he sure was running. lots of great gags and lots of terrible ones, i was partial to the guy getting therapy and the kaiju fight.

its kind of an incredible feat that they managed to make a 90-minute movie with maybe half a second of downtime in the entire thing. a lot of the scenes were just awful but you can't say Taylor and Neveldine weren't trying as hard as possible. i couldn't help but enjoy how enthusiastic the film feels, clearly made by people who first and foremost love film and set out to prove you can make something wild with a relatively small budget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jHS5vpnOMM

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

u mad?

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah, i'm thinkin i'm mad!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fungah! posted:

yeah, i'm thinkin i'm mad!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the Crank lore knower

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Phantom of Cranklore

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

crank: a pick it and flick it adventure

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Herculon is a fan of the strong, silent type.

High Noon dir. by Fred Zinnemann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9CR_tib0CA

quote:

A town Marshal, despite the disagreements of his newlywed bride and the townspeople around him, must face a gang of deadly killers alone at "high noon" when the gang leader, an outlaw he "sent up" years ago, arrives on the noon train.

This film will expire on October 9th.

It can be freely watched on archive.org, vimeo, a bunch of places.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

John Wayne called it the most unAmerican movie ever made. Hope you enjoy it more than he did.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

herculon posted:

John Wayne called it the most unAmerican movie ever made. Hope you enjoy it more than he did.

It's gotta be good then

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Herculon is a fan of the strong, silent type.

High Noon dir. by Fred Zinnemann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9CR_tib0CA

This film will expire on October 9th.

It can be freely watched on archive.org, vimeo, a bunch of places.

herculon posted:

lol hell yeah

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I love westerns but I don’t think I’ve seen one since I rewatched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid with my grandpa several months back, looking forward to this

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Crank 2 was bad. The 2000s was a dire decade for action movies and this one really shows it. Nice to see Dwight Yoakam, though.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i watched speed racer and the editing was the best part.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

apparently for crank 1 statham and the directors claimed that no cg or wires were used for the stunts when promoting the movie which was insanely bold of them to do

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Are y'all requiring a rewatch (probably a good idea anyway) to star or otherwise opine about a flick?

I've seen Mandy and The Wrong Guy and think they're both really good and possibly underrated.

May give Gamera a go this evening to get into the flow of the thread but I was just wondering.

this guys off the list

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

One less until I can pick again :twisted:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
High Noon was pretty cool. Being a 50s western I was expecting some John Wayne crap but it bucks those stereotypes. Watching Gary Cooper get told to gently caress off by a bunch of cowards was entertaining

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fungah! posted:

this guys off the list

well, this list anyway

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roth posted:

One less until I can pick again :twisted:

I will dropkick sc64 if you get a 2nd pick before I get my first

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

High Noon was pretty cool. Being a 50s western I was expecting some John Wayne crap but it bucks those stereotypes. Watching Gary Cooper get told to gently caress off by a bunch of cowards was entertaining

That’s why it’s one of my favorites. It’s almost an exact opposite of a 40s-early 50s western. There’s still a shootout at the end, because it’s still a western after all

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

herculon posted:

That’s why it’s one of my favorites. It’s almost an exact opposite of a 40s-early 50s western. There’s still a shootout at the end, because it’s still a western after all

I also really liked how Grace Kelly's character's arc went, the reveal of her shooting the guy through the window was dope.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

high noon kicks rear end, really great poo poo. its cool that it went close to real time, obvs it's not 1:1 but its close enough that you really feel time slipping away for gary cooper. his wife and anita ramirez were cool too, nd it was sick seeing hhow everyone slowly decides to turn him down. thought for a minute that his deputy would decide to join him but nope, decides to sucker punch him and gets knocked out instead lol. wish we'd gotten to see how evil frank miller was, we get a lot of people saying oooh hes a horrible hardcase but the meanest thng we see him do other than decide to kill gary cooper is take grace kelly hostage. good movie though and a sick shootout. good pick herc

★★★

copy
Jul 26, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

well, this list anyway

lol

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
high noon was a really depressing movie lol ive never seen somebody get kicked in the balls so hard repeatedly and still saddle up

probably one of the most misanthropic films ive seen and thats saying something

but i like that and i feel that gave the film a bit of an edge compared to its contemporaries, a grown rear end man breaks down in tears

you never see that in other westerns but here it fits well with how grim the whole film is, its neat to see the main character not just be some manly man caricature, consider leaving town multiple times as friends and the people he served abandon him to the wolves, and actually show some humanity

the film just feels more real than your typical western this is probably how a majority of movies shouldve gone down if they had any gumption to portray it

and about the ending a bit

i was surprised it was a "happy" one, in that the main character lived

if it wasnt for his wife im pretty sure he was in dire straits at the end there with the two vilains pinning him down in that saddle shop i believe

i mean poo poo somebody had to compromise their entire religion and traumatic past, the quaker lady picking up a gun and blowing away a dude, for things to work out

this movie was hardcore

and him tossing his star on the ground and driving away was exactly what those yellow bellied bastards deserved

so to sum things up yeah i think another solid film, horribly depressing and any victory earned felt hollow in the face of how low things had gotten for that town, and it wasnt overly cinematic but there were some shots i liked

9/10

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

That’s also Lee Van Cleef in his theatrical debut

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

herculon posted:

he rules

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

oh poo poo i thought that was him! he fuckin rules

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If yall needed more excuses to watch movies the CineD October challenge thread is up. Tis the spooky season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

MacheteZombie posted:

If yall needed more excuses to watch movies the CineD October challenge thread is up. Tis the spooky season.

Bad jokes aside, dude has helped with promoting a lot of SA community,especially the horror commmunity.