Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
I mean Guruhiru is one of my fav artists duo working at Marvel so congrats to the Mouse Corporation on hiring more japanese talent.

(yes that's DC)
(and yes people in 2023 complained that Superman fighting the Klan was woke)
(yes I hate it there)

January 6 Survivor has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

that’s King Canute, lord of England, Denmark, and Norway, you filthy peasant.

It's a weird little trick of history that if Canute's kids hadn't died so young England as we know it today wouldn't really exist. Hell, the entirety of European political dynamics would be completely alien to what we know

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
mcdonalds is my favourite anime

https://twitter.com/McDonaldsJapan/status/1705869682140422447

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Mcdonalds, the favored food of Zeon's war hero Char Aznable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDomIbUPMTw

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Popy posted:

Mcdonalds, the favored food of Zeon's war hero Char Aznable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDomIbUPMTw

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Sep 25, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

dont post my last cholesterol screening

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ01-SeOAp8

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

beastars/sanda author got married

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Bro Dad posted:

beastars/sanda author got married

Congratulations, and a continued well-wish that she be successful at not letting readers recognize her face.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

And who is the handsome Santa?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Kit Walker posted:

It's a weird little trick of history that if Canute's kids hadn't died so young England as we know it today wouldn't really exist. Hell, the entirety of European political dynamics would be completely alien to what we know

im back on board with "king canute"

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

if thorfinn and einar are doing shonen training by pulling up tree stumps I'm totally on board

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

being a slave is also a power leveling strategy in Kenshi.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Otoh you may have your skin peeled

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

so vinland is essentially a christian text right

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

got to the timeskip in one piece. the big war arc rocked, really succeeded at creating something of an absolutely epic scale.
loved ace's class conflict backstory.
timeskip designs are a bit of a mixed bag imo.
-Franky going from pompadour to buzz cut is a strict downgrade. booooo
-chopper is just the same but with a different hat?
-brook's rockstar outfit is a good gag but it's very visually busy compared to his old design so I hope it's not his permanent look.
-I do like that Robin's redesign reflects her character development (she's more chill) but she looks too similar to Hancock. wanna know more about her meeting with Pirate Lenin

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

-Franky going from pompadour to buzz cut is a strict downgrade. booooo
you ain't seen nothing yet

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Augus posted:

wanna know more about her meeting with Pirate Lenin

dont hold your breath, sadly

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The redesigns created some horrific scenes in the anime. There's some shots of Nico Robin that are practically Liefeldian.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the redesigns are pretty much universally a downgrade imo, except franky

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

yeah I hate that zoro has a badass eye scar

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

bitmap posted:

dont hold your breath, sadly

This was one of the reasons I fell off one piece, I always considered Robin the most interesting character of the crew and it seemed like she and her angle with the revolutionaries was going to remain backgrounded indefinitely

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
robin will never get the screentime she deserves because if she did oda would have to go back and make her the protagonist of the whole series

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bitmap posted:

yeah I hate that zoro has a badass eye scar

But unironically

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
A lot of people are upset about Oda getting really good at drawing women.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Gripweed posted:

A lot of people are upset about Oda getting really good at drawing women.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tbf the proportions for female characters in the manga almost look sane compared to the proportions in the anime

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

robin owns

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Popy posted:

robin owns

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apparently one of the student teachers my mom has been observing (as part of her part-time job with the local university after retiring) is a weeb. My mom has some of her students on Facebook and the guy posts pictures from JoJo, so at least he has good taste.

edit: He also teaches Japanese. Apparently Japanese has become popular in our city (Memphis), which is interesting since when I took it back in high school my school was literally the only school that taught it (and my teacher wrote her own textbook, while I think classes are now using the standard Yookoso books).

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

So this current season of animes is wrapping up. Did anyone finish anything?

Level 1 Demon Lord and One Room Hero
and
The Great Cleric

were thoroughly middling but interesting enough that I finished them.

I bounced off of:
Zom 100
Horimiya s2
My Happy Marriage (I got to episode 9 or something, I might finish it)
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (stopped at ep 8, ditto)
Liar Liar
Undead Girl Murder Farce
Am I Actually the Strongest?
The Dreaming Boy is a Realist
Reborn As A Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon
Ruroni Kenshin reboot
Helck (I started reading the manga after watching the first 6 episodes)
Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawrence
The Most Heretical Last Boss Queen
Synduality Noir
Dark Gathering

I might go ahead and finish s1 of Jujutsu Kaisen to then watch s2 since that seems to be the new hotness.

S2 of Sunrise's mech show Kyoukai Senki / AMAIM Warrior at the Borderline aired this summer - no one tweets or talks about it. I recall s1 seemed like a more boring less fantastical Code Geass where for some reason or another Japan had been invaded...? It feels like mech stuff aside from Gundam has been lacking for a while. I guess 86 technically counts?

Also -

I see somehow that Dark Gathering is 24 episodes long. Is it good? The first episode was very boring, but I have liked ghost stuff in the past...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I have been doing an extremely slow rewatch of Gundam Seed.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I really liked Undead Murder Farce and Dark Gatherinf this season

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

wolfs posted:

So this current season of animes is wrapping up. Did anyone finish anything?

I think Oooku was technically this Summer. It was pretty good—my friend group actually watched it all over one weekend. I was worried it would just be the exact same history but with genderswapped major figures, but it ended up being far more interesting than that. I'm guessing no one talks about it anymore since Netflix just threw up all the episodes at once.

I wish there were more serious historical anime series. I've tried watching some Taiga dramas but usually fall off a couple episodes in. Not enough pretty colors, I guess.

I guess I'll probably be watching all of Masterful Cat at some point just because it's something pleasant enough to look at while eating breakfast?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

hot dog they actually made another season of kengan asura gotta see if McDonald's goes all the way

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
other than Jojo Stone Ocean i haven't clicked with anything in the last 2 years

waiting for Go! Go! Loser Ranger! and hoping it's as fun as the teaser made out

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the only current anime ive been watching is BLEACH

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Regarde Aduck posted:

other than Jojo Stone Ocean i haven't clicked with anything in the last 2 years

waiting for Go! Go! Loser Ranger! and hoping it's as fun as the teaser made out

I read the first volume of that manga and it was more plot heavy than I was expecting. I was thinking it would be something like Precarious Woman Executive Miss Black General.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bitmap posted:

so vinland is essentially a christian text right

kind of but not really. Vinland Saga is christianity from the outsider's perspective. By depicting the vikings according to their own values, you get a sense of why christianity spread so rapidly at the time - but Christian morality is only one aspect of Thorfinn's ideological development. He's never even attended mass, so what he does know is only the passages from the bible that Snake read to the old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The only new season thing I finished was Mix season 2, which was good as hell. Mitsuru Adachi stays winning.