Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Exterminator demo was fun, comma, short. Very Duke, as you'd expect, right down to the HUD. It does illustrate what I was talking about with Turbo Overkill's sound design though, because while I think TO is otherwise much more interesting, your shotgun in that demo really booms, your uzi really sounds like it's spraying hot lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Ammo pickup sound needs to be more beefy though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgH9JxdkiXM

lunacid 1.0 next month, blood west 1.0 in december, hell yea

also Diluvian Ultra is shadowdropping today ($8.99, Chapter One ala Cultic??), and in a bundle with Hyperviolent and Forgive Me Father

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1306970/Diluvian_Ultra/

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 28, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

we smoking strogg carmack kush
smoking them dopefish kelp doobies
on them nine inch nails riding gas mask horse
dont play me youngblood i wrestled naked randy pitchford on apogee star
crackpiping the FEAR shotgun till im in brutal doom reference folder
swimming in fireblu till my .wad started talking sanskrit
got ion storm money in build engine liminal space, shatner sold the keys for dose of tek

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Played the Last Exterminator demo, it's wearing the Duke influence pretty proudly. I liked it!

also gently caress off Tim Sweeny

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Broad question, what does everyone think about the way new games have sanded off the edges of the old shooters they're inspired by? Things like fall damage and drowning that are pretty much gone in the current crop of FPS.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mordja posted:

Broad question, what does everyone think about the way new games have sanded off the edges of the old shooters they're inspired by? Things like fall damage and drowning that are pretty much gone in the current crop of FPS.
Doom never had fall damage nor drowning

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It also didn't have jumping or swimming.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Fall damage in an FPS seems pretty pointless to me. If Quake didn't have fall damage, would it have mattered one bit? I don't think so.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
It would mean no comical legbreaking sounds in TF2... and that's about it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It feels pretty badass in Cultic when you land from a distance that should have hurt you but you crouch at exactly the right time and turn it into a roll.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I don't want fall damage but I DO want my character to go "oof" in a comically manly voice when they hit the ground from way up.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Oh no I don't care about that it's because he's a billionaire CEO.

Edit: Oh you were asking when. Musta been 20 minutes ago maybe.

First 15 minutes or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErWYTmXqORI

man am I glad to see a Duke/Retro themed shooter that isn't based around moving at insane velocities.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

fatherboxx posted:

we smoking strogg carmack kush
smoking them dopefish kelp doobies
on them nine inch nails riding gas mask horse
dont play me youngblood i wrestled naked randy pitchford on apogee star
crackpiping the FEAR shotgun till im in brutal doom reference folder
swimming in fireblu till my .wad started talking sanskrit
got ion storm money in build engine liminal space, shatner sold the keys for dose of tek

:perfect:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I asked in the Halo thread, but is there a discord for goons to organize games for it? I'm still neck deep in the Halo MCC, reliving my Halo 2 obsession for almost 20 years ago, and I can only enjoy playing with and against pubbies for so long.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Fall damage is comical when done right. I think it should always be active for enemies, probably not necessary for players unless you have aesthetic/verisimilitude reasons.

Baron von Eevl posted:

It feels pretty badass in Cultic when you land from a distance that should have hurt you but you crouch at exactly the right time and turn it into a roll.

SkeletonHero posted:

I don't want fall damage but I DO want my character to go "oof" in a comically manly voice when they hit the ground from way up.

These are good examples of verisimilitude too. Gotta make it feel like a landing.

Drowning…I’m struggling to think of any drowning-related fun I’ve had in an FPS. Most of the time it’s either vestigial mechanic or used only for simple “find the breathing gear” puzzle. Or, again, purely a verisimilitude/fluff thing.

In Marathon you have a persistent O2 tank for vacuum so you drown very slowly (takes a couple of minutes iirc, possibly based on how fast you move?) but you need to keep an eye on your supply and hit rechargers when you see them, or you’ll run out of gas and die like a chump. I think under that condition, where it’s a problem on the order of minutes rather than seconds, you can do some interesting stuff underwater/in space and still have it feel like a threat. This also gives the devs the freedom to play with pacing through recharger placement (which they eventually abuse to entrap you in fiendish oxygen-starvation gauntlets)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

site posted:

I would like to see nightdive do a system shock type remake of iw because I surprisingly enjoyed the game itself when I played it a couple years ago, but I swear even with the unofficial patches the load screens from going between areas accounted for half my total irl play time

The real jank part is that it's doing the classic "start a completely new instance of the game at every load screen because the xbox has poo poo memory management" trick.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I should have mentioned that I personally applaud the lack of fall damage and oxygen mechanics in nu-old shooters. Though obviously they have their place in other kinds of games, e.g. you should die if you fall off three stories in STALKER.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked The Last Exterminator demo.

Has the guy behind Cultic said anything about the Unity poo poo that’s been going on. If you don’t have a Twitter account it tries really hard to keep any posts away from you at this point. They’re floating a new policy where you have to send a picture of a government ID to have an account. Which hopefully finally kills it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Last I saw he was making fun of it with Cultic memes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mordja posted:

I'm generally fine with that because both of those are more annoying than anything that actually meaningfully contributes to the game

Doctor Bishop posted:

It would mean no comical legbreaking sounds in TF2... and that's about it.

I feel like TF2 is a bit of an exception since falling damage helps balance out the hyper mobility that Scout, Soldier, and Demoman can all achieve, well that and seeing someone die and ragdoll in a comedic fashion from fall damage will always be hilarious

NoneMoreNegative posted:

First 15 minutes or so:

man am I glad to see a Duke/Retro themed shooter that isn't based around moving at insane velocities.

It really feels like what a Duke 3D sequel made in 98 to 2000 on a contemporary engine of the time would have played like

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

drrockso20 posted:

I feel like TF2 is a bit of an exception since falling damage helps balance out the hyper mobility that Scout, Soldier, and Demoman can all achieve, well that and seeing someone die and ragdoll in a comedic fashion from fall damage will always be hilarious

True and fair.

quote:

It really feels like what a Duke 3D sequel made in 98 to 2000 on a contemporary engine of the time would have played like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUUXf1VhVNc

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

site posted:

I would like to see nightdive do a system shock type remake of iw because I surprisingly enjoyed the game itself when I played it a couple years ago, but I swear even with the unofficial patches the load screens from going between areas accounted for half my total irl play time

They're not that bad normally, at least when i played it during the pandemic. The enhanced textures included by default with the visible upgrade mod makes the load times like 5x longer though, best to turn them off

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Angryhead posted:

Grimbeard just released a nearly three-hour long review of Deus Ex: Invisible War

A three hour review? That's not reviewing anything! That's longer than it takes to install and play the game to form your own opinions!!

Seriously, my best friend IRL whose opinions I explicitly trust on anything could have released that, and I still wouldn't watch that poo poo. Who the gently caress has time for such nonsense?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Serephina posted:

A three hour review? That's not reviewing anything! That's longer than it takes to install and play the game to form your own opinions!!

Seriously, my best friend IRL whose opinions I explicitly trust on anything could have released that, and I still wouldn't watch that poo poo. Who the gently caress has time for such nonsense?

You put them on to kill time at work or when you're doing chores.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

should have been six hours

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Serephina posted:

Yes, who would waste time on such frivolities, I angrily ask while shitposting on Something Awful.

Edit: Or is this actually about the semantics of it being called a review instead of analysis or critique or something.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 29, 2023

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The Last Exterminator demo was pretty good! Certainly looks promising. It's the like Duke 3D sequel that DNF wishes it could've been. Punchy weapons, lots of interactables and secrets. And infighting! It has infighting! I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Meanwhile, hakita

https://twitter.com/HakitaDev/status/1707065300405960837

Boy I about triple taked after I saw the clip

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

First 15 minutes or so:

The highest praise I can give this is that it absolutely nailed the feel of Duke Nukem 3D and I can't wait to see how they expand outwards from that. The base they're working with looks really solid and I had a blast playing the free demo: https://www.alphabetagamer.com/the-last-exterminator-alpha-demo/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I watched that realms deep 22 stream and I kept getting recs for prospective boom shooters and I've added like 7 games to my wishlist today lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

Well, it would be normal for new games to notice the areas where old games failed and improve upon those.

Like for example, er.... Hexen's switch hunting, or some old shooters maze-like sections that were hard to navigate because they were very similar looking.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Volte posted:

Fall damage in an FPS seems pretty pointless to me. If Quake didn't have fall damage, would it have mattered one bit? I don't think so.

I think it mattered in Quake because it's very obvious in Quake that the developers knew rocket jumping/grenade jumping was a thing and they also added a bunch of vertical platforming puzzles. Fall damage is there as a risk and reward mechanic, which it does a pretty alright job of setting up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Finally hit the burn out point with Nightmare Reaper. Admittedly, I'm like halfway through NG+ already, but still. The decision to balance NG+ by dropping weapons with 3x or 4x damage multipliers warps the already annoyingly stingy drop system to be even worse as now you can find incredible legendaries...with comparatively poo poo damage.

I thought I was missing something about the late game progression, but no, none of the skill trees were hiding some 11th hour surprise. It's just more bland, boring, incremental stat boosts. Even the jade tree that had otherwise featured lots of extra perks turned out to be frontloaded, with the back half being entirely built around the pet system which to be fair is fairly impactful...but also feels super hands off and just kind of there. I finally unlocked the ability to feed now otherwise worthless gold into the topaz tree...except the exchange rate sucks and it's still a pointless addition full of excruciatingly tiny granular bonuses.

The realization there was no "aha" moment waiting where the game really, really opened up and instead there's just more game to grind just utterly torpedoed my already waning enthusiasm. On the whole the game is such a mishmash of ideas that I don't really get what it was trying to be. It's not properly retro enough to be a boomer shooter, the randomization and mechanics aren't thought out and deep enough for it to be a roguelike, and the loot game is just barely there so it's not much of a looter shooter either. The arena mode is sufficient but not very compelling by itself. Playing it back to back with Project Warlock really highlights how PW benefited from a much narrower scope whereas NR feels like an unfocused mess, despite both games drawing from a very similar list of inspirations. Sure, the gunplay can be legitimately satisfying, but I can say the same thing about Destiny 2, another game where the guns are fun to shoot but the actual structure of the game is dogshit.

The dev is apparently working on adding co-op, which might make it a more Borderlands-y I guess. And also deathmatch? With randomized guns?? Ok buddy.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I asked in the Halo thread, but is there a discord for goons to organize games for it? I'm still neck deep in the Halo MCC, reliving my Halo 2 obsession for almost 20 years ago, and I can only enjoy playing with and against pubbies for so long.

I would offer to play with you but unfortunately Halo games have a profound sedative effect on me

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

https://twitter.com/JasozzGames/status/1701957847053918573

There'll be a tease of more Cultic stuff at Realms Deep, so it is declared.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Convex posted:

I would offer to play with you but unfortunately Halo games have a profound sedative effect on me

:smith:

That's Stardew Valley for me, but in a good way.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Did anyone here buy Fortune's Run, and have any thoughts to share?

If it's a good game I'll look past the tasteless story drama they were tweeting about a few days back.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

Did anyone here buy Fortune's Run, and have any thoughts to share?

If it's a good game I'll look past the tasteless story drama they were tweeting about a few days back.

My "review":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/Freschism/status/1707671773502640465

Curiosity, attention, etc