Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Oh, I know a sequel was announced! I just don't think there's been an update on it for a long time.

weekly font posted:

Kona was rad but I got a game ending softlock bug about four hours in and never went back. That’ll really ruin a game for ya

Oh, bummer! What happened? :ohdear: Couldn't pick up a crucial item? Invincible wolves?

I somehow got my save data on Darkside Detective erased (nothing got corrupted, I just started up the game one day and it was as if I'd never played), which has put me off from picking it back up for the past six months or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

quote:

Alexandre Fiset  [developer] Aug 1 @ 12:44pm  

It is not ;) We're just awaiting the summer sun to calm down before releasing, stay tuned!

One of the devs posted in the steam discussion board, so that's a good sign.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I played a few hours of Demonologist this week. Pretty decent Phasmophobia type game. I like the addition of actual exorcisms and more creative scares than a cup flying across a room or a ghost awkwardly standing around for a bit. And unlike Phasmo, it has character customization. Cool in theory, but in practice this meant that half the people I saw in public lobbies were shirtless with leather pants or in some kind of weird swimsuit number. It gave the whole thing heavy Second Life vibes.

I also played Who's Lila last night. It had some really cool ideas. The face mechanic led to some hilarious and genuinely unnerving results. I feel like you get the gist of the story after a few of a the endings, and there's not really much of a mystery or reason to fully complete the game.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Read After Burning posted:

Oh, I know a sequel was announced! I just don't think there's been an update on it for a long time.

Oh, bummer! What happened? :ohdear: Couldn't pick up a crucial item? Invincible wolves?

I somehow got my save data on Darkside Detective erased (nothing got corrupted, I just started up the game one day and it was as if I'd never played), which has put me off from picking it back up for the past six months or so.

I don’t remember the specific item but there’s supposed to be something in the boot of a car out on one of the roads and the item just never spawned even after reloads. A few other people on the steam forums had the issue and the answer was I was SOL. I was streaming it with friends at the beginning of the pandemic so no one really wanted to run it that far back but we were all having fun until it happened .

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Evil Kit posted:

it wasn't for a long time lol, and first impressions mean a lot.

I'll probably still pick up AW2 if it's legit as amazing as it sounds from that vid though.

Did you have Steam at launch lol

I had to wait in a download queue because they didn't used to have a website and it was on fileplanet

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sorry, the "Epic Launcher is fine" takes are outdated by a couple of hours, since Epic has apparently decided to water its garden by slashing its own throat. Because apparently that is how the world works now, you just ram your own poo poo into the ground.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CuddleCryptid posted:

Sorry, the "Epic Launcher is fine" takes are outdated by a couple of hours, since Epic has apparently decided to water its garden by slashing its own throat. Because apparently that is how the world works now, you just ram your own poo poo into the ground.

To be fair, that's hardly unique in the tech world. There's layoffs a plenty.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
They sold loving Bandcamp

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Len posted:

Did you have Steam at launch lol

I had to wait in a download queue because they didn't used to have a website and it was on fileplanet

no because I was much younger and we didn't really have a computer in the house that would be able to run any of the games they made it for anyway.

It's also a moot comparison because the Epic store, in it's early days, had all of the then modern Steam to compare itself to and kept failing on multiple fronts for entirely too long. That is a statement of fact, not me aggressively dunking on a storefront I didn't like for sweet forum cred.

But yeah, Alan Wake 2 coming is hype.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Didnt Wake 2 get delayed???

I could've sworn there was a last minute delay on SOMETHING...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Meowywitch posted:

Silent Hill 2 got bumped from October to early next year, allegedly because there was too much competion coming out.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Meowywitch posted:

They made a last minute delay of a couple weeks because their original release window got pretty crowded. Remedy's got some power behind their name these days, but the sequel to a cult classic can't directly compete against Spider-Man 2 and Super Mario Brothers.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh wait I was thinking of the Alone in the Dark remake that got delayed from 31 Oct, to 24 Jan

:sweatdrop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Whoops, how did I switch those. That'll teach me to respond without looking up my own posts about them.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What happened to epic? Just woke up and wanted to ask if stasis bone totem is any good

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What happened to epic? Just woke up and wanted to ask if stasis bone totem is any good

lot more info in the game industry thread if you can handle poking it, but tl;dr they've just laid off a significant chunk of their employees (about 900 employees across various studios) and are selling bandcamp and some other things they'd picked up

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It's pretty good. Well written. (Still an adventure game, though.) Apparently they just did a patch that gets rid of a bunch of AI generated gaff to make things smoother.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Professor Wayne posted:

I played a few hours of Demonologist this week. Pretty decent Phasmophobia type game. I like the addition of actual exorcisms and more creative scares than a cup flying across a room or a ghost awkwardly standing around for a bit. And unlike Phasmo, it has character customization. Cool in theory, but in practice this meant that half the people I saw in public lobbies were shirtless with leather pants or in some kind of weird swimsuit number. It gave the whole thing heavy Second Life vibes.

I also played Who's Lila last night. It had some really cool ideas. The face mechanic led to some hilarious and genuinely unnerving results. I feel like you get the gist of the story after a few of a the endings, and there's not really much of a mystery or reason to fully complete the game.

Never played the genre that Demonologist is part of but it's been a blast for a few hours thus far. Some clues are hard as gently caress to find though, we can't find the handprints worth a poo poo and the ectoplasm we've literally only found once lol.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

thanks both!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Is World of Horror still on track for next month or is it one of the many games that have been pushed? Feels like forever I’ve been waiting for the 1.0 of that.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Would a thread solely for survival horror be cool or does this thread encapsulate that just fine?

Also everyone play Signalis.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Would a thread solely for survival horror be cool or does this thread encapsulate that just fine?

Also everyone play Signalis.

This thread is definitely a lot of survival horror.

Also yes, Signalis absolutely, unquestionably slaps.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finished up Signalis this morning, except for a few times where the inventory limit really became tedious it was an excellent and sad game. Will be buying it on Steam probably sometime since I played on Game Pass.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Daymare 1994 is shiiiiit. The combat is heinous with the stupid freezing mechanics.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

mutantIke posted:

They sold loving Bandcamp

what the gently caress that's the only usable music site on the internet why would you do that

this is not the kind of terrible news I come to this thread for

on topic, do I kick october off with: fear & hunger, resident evil 6 (first time, stalled on the series after 5 because life), the coma, faith, or try to jump back into who's lila? I liked what I played of it but after the first ending I found I hit a point where I was looking for someone and was apparently missing a clickable door to more of the school somewhere because I could not find anything else to do. Possibly I am now too old and blind for the game, but I hope not.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

resident evil 6

I'm one of the folks that has some good things to say about 6, but definitely be prepared for a long, messy experience if you go for it. I think there's a lot of fun to be had, but it's all buried in a game that's too big and often not very focused.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the key to enjoying RE6 is to treat it like B-movie horror. It's why people often recommend playing it in co-op - it's not because it plays better with a second person (although it does), but because having a second person there is more authentic to the "gather your friends around and make fun of this terrible movie" experience.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the key to enjoying RE6 is to treat it like B-movie horror.

That's the key to enjoying RE in general though.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Alright horror games friends, what jank rear end ps2 horror game should I play for October? Beat Silent Hill 2 and 3, and now I am hungry for more

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I never got far in RE6, but be sure to look up how the combat actually works. Because the game won't explain it you

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Whirling posted:

Alright horror games friends, what jank rear end ps2 horror game should I play for October? Beat Silent Hill 2 and 3, and now I am hungry for more

Rule of Rose

Extermination

Haunting Ground

Kuon

Obscure

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

As this thread's resident Kuon stan: :yeah:

:hai:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Whirling posted:

Fatal Frame

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

I never got far in RE6, but be sure to look up how the combat actually works. Because the game won't explain it you

This is the biggest tip for the game, the melee system is the best thing in it and it's surprisingly robust, but I don't think the game actually tells you how to do anything deeper than the basic stagger/kick combo from the previous games.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Whirling posted:

Can we consider Eternal Darkness an honorary ps2 game?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Whirling posted:

You've done 2 and 3, might as well move on to 4. The Room is IMO the scariest Silent Hill. Just the trailer still unnerves me.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Don't play Kuon. It's got great style but it's not a fun game.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Medullah posted:

You've done 2 and 3, might as well move on to 4. The Room is IMO the scariest Silent Hill. Just the trailer still unnerves me.

That was the first one I ever played since it was on Xbox. Still think about it a lot.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Don't play Kuon. It's got great style but it's not a fun game.

He said jank rear end so fighting the jank rear end systems can be part of the fun if you're one of those kinds of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finish my first sort of spooky game of the season, Call of the Sea. Weirdly not even really trying to be horror despite being literally Cthulhu mythos, it was mainly a walk sim/puzzler about the main character discovering that she was a hosed up fish thing and going 'yeah that's cool I guess'.