Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CobiWann posted:

BRB, asking my DM if I can play a Tortle in the next campaign.

*shrugs shoulders*
Tortle Tortle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, upcasting Tasha's Hideous Laughter turns it into Tasha's 'Informer' by Snow.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, upcasting Tasha's Hideous Laughter turns it into Tasha's 'Informer' by Snow.

Does downcasting it turn it into Vincent Price at the end of Thriller?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Golden Bee posted:

Who could stand Unawed?

SHUT IN by F. Wesley Schneider and James L. Sutter
Don’t trust everything you read in the papers.
The players made a lot of headlines this week. But it depends on what newspaper you read.
In the black papers, they’d be happy to announce. GEORGIA LOCOMOTIVES BEAT CLEVELAND INDIANS 5-2.

The caucasian papers would emphasize the riot that took place when Connie’s Negro league team beat an American league mainstay. Even at an away game, people get sensitive about such things.

Only Hindi magazines or the Society pages covered Devika’s comments, that she was “...Going to buy the Cleveland Indians, teach them cricket, and move them to Hyderabad". And it’s unlikely anything but the gambling trades would talk about the massive profits brought in by Penny An’Te. Point shaving had never felt so sweet.

The big headline anywhere in New England, though, was the escape of pint-size serial killer “the Swan Street Slasher”. Although he only went after rich victims (on Swan Street, the decrepit mansion side of Beacon Hill), the city was in a panic.
And where there’s panic, there’s profit.

The back page of the Globe featured ads for Midas Security, the latest of Doc’s moneymaking ventures. Florence came up with Ziegler Security Solutions, leaning on her symphony contacts for the perfect mark: an elderly mother, Auraluna Dromdal, and her recently widowed daughter Cesali. (Who cares Cesali was widowed because of the killer?)

The big headlines would come a few days later though. KILLER CRONE LINKED TO SLICER! The tabloids would be filled with gory details (like Mrs. Dromdal’s basement, where she would drug and bury people alive so they would listen to her stories). They would emphasize the bloody battle, where Penny and Aldous almost lost their lives to the Slasher. None of the papers would have the knowledge to point out the players' tactical errors, like being taken by surprise by an old woman restricted to a wheelchair, or completely ignoring evidence repositories like the car in the mansion’s driveway “because it probably belongs to someone visiting”. But the periodicals would also elide the less heroic details, like Connie smashing a septuagenarian from behind with a baseball bat to protect Florence from a 140-pound attack dog.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 29, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

SHUT IN by F. Wesley Schneider and James L. Sutter!
Crisis on Crete! by Paul ‘Wiggy’ Wade-Williams/Corners of My Eye!
“Keep the diamonds,” said Devika. “The coins will get us killed.”
J’ever have someone essential on the team who you love and can’t stand? That was the vibe when Elodie Grigarios (re-)joined the party. "The Female Hercules" was an excellent fighter, and spoke ancient Greek, which is essential in an adventure that involves solving the ancient Labyrinth. But she also dedicated every other action to the gods, with colorful, sometimes gross paens.

Anyway, adventure time.
Florence, Devika and the mercenary Elodie were invited to the Boston Metropolitan Museum. A professor had gone missing in Greece, and the Met would pay for his return and any artifacts the group could “uncover”. Having learned a lot about the art of gentleman thievery from her mentor, Devika handed over a salvage contract that the museum was eager to sign.

Crete ended up being a violent place. The gals stopped a burglary, solved a riddle, and approached the ancient site of the Labyrinth...but were thrown in. (Actually, six goons couldn’t throw in Elodie, who has a stunt making her Stronger than any Man. She only entered once it was clear that Florence was going to be forced inside.)

The Labyrinth was deadlier than the Minotaur. The former was filled with falling rocks, Greek Fire, spears, and the like (as well as hidden rooms filled with treasure). The treasure provided a complication; not just dividing artifacts fairly amongst the group, but finding how much the group could reasonably escape with. The millionaire orphan Devika and the Grecian bodyguard collaborated, begrudgingly, and how much they could “rescue”.

Was there a Minotaur? Yes!
The Minotaur arrived as the party opened the giant stone escape doors. Unfortunately, it was weak-willed, and couldn’t stand up well to mental attack. It swung an ax half the size of a surfboard, but Elodie blocked it. They would’ve fought to a stalemate, but Florence had an idea. Following her lead, the group managed to trick and grapple the guardian so that it would be squashed in half as the doors closed. But instead of Devika's prediction (“a meat-filled toothpaste tube exploding everywhere"), it turned into dust.

From there, it was a relief to catch the bad guys' yacht, throw some thugs in the Aegean, and get paid big time. There was a sudden betrayal (the professor’s niece turned on us, “despite us being kinda nice to you so far!”), but that’s just part of the business.

———
We had about an hour left so I ran a mini adventure. (I read the outline in one of the older 80’s Pulp games, but can’t find again it for the life of me.)
Back in New York, Florence had used her share of the money to open an office for Ziegler Security Solutions. Penny was told about a place hiring secretaries for good money, and showed up at the same time as the first client, the troubled Rota Solia. The Italian Rota was convinced someone was trying to murder her; she saw flashes of them in the corners of her eyes. She didn't have names, but there was a general sense of a menace that had persisted for a month.

Penny, Florence, and the leviathan-out-of-water Elodie Gregorios took the case. Of course, none of the three was primarily a detective. There were several detours (with Elodee being marveled at that by every child at the New York public library, and the group surviving the social labyrinth that is the NBC personnel department). Yet the players endured, even when Florence and Penny ironed out their personal drama with a gossipy cabby chiming in. Or when they were insulted by Doc Midas’s inattentive Lawyer, Joe “Gobbler” Gottlieb. (Of course their new rival would be at NBC: he was hosting his radio advice so “The Golden Hour”).

The clues lead to a two-story house in Astoria. Rota had inherited it from her dead father… and as the trio snuck in, there was a dizzying amount of gas. Splitting up, Florence was nearly stabbed discovering the woman trying to kill Rota was Rota! The group disarmed her and called an ambulance, solving an assassination plot without dropping a single body.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 30, 2024

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It's been a while since I have done some recaps of my Planescape game, but this fortnight's adventure included us sneaking through a Dao's base (earth element genie) in the plane of earth by riding on a garish bright green and orange magic carpet. It was definitely very funny.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Our 7th Sea GM loves minigames. The game already has a bunch of optional ones (naval combat, mass combat, chases, inventions, etc.) but this GM likes making up systems as much as he likes using them. So last night we had:

:parrot:EGG GET: THE GAME:parrot:

The situation is this: our group of Die Kreuzritter monster/relic hunters are presently trying to track down a rare poisonous mushroom for the order to use to loading the dice in an upcoming conclave of cardinals to elect the pope. (DIe Kreuzritter, in addition to being clandestine monster hunters, are also the pope's Praetorian Guard of sorts, so they have an interest in making sure a friendly pope is elected.)

Anyway, the trail of these elusive mushrooms has led us to a remote island in Vesten (Scandanavia). We have a scholar with us that we're asking the community to put up for the season to do his research, so between that and needing information from these people, we agree to help them in midst of their harvest season. What they harvest as a delicacy they trade on the mainland of Theah: the eggs of a certain sea bird which roosts in the cliffs on one side of the island. Every year, around this time, the locals risk life and limb climbing down these cliffs to harvest eggs.

Our PC action lad, Mandelos, volunteers before he even hears how dangerous the task is. Not to be outdone, my character, his odd couple-esque rival Kristjana, feels compelled to join in. My character and I both know that Mandelos is likely to win if we make this a competition. He is literally super-human, with a type of sorcery that makes him like Achilles or Herakles. Nonetheless, he is a rival, and this is 7th Sea. We can't not do this.

The GM then goes over the rules:

The Climb down is a Brawn + Climb roll at a low difficulty, because your roll will be penalized by the amount of damage you take from the sea birds in that round. The birds deal 2k1 damage prior to every climb roll, so you're likely to take, say, ~7 damage per roll. You can go down up to ten levels (each of which is ten feet), but the lower you go the more eggs you will find. If you ever fail one of these climb rolls, you fall into the sea and swim back in shame.

Once you decide you want to stop climbing and get eggs, you roll Wits + Fauna, or Wits + Perception at a higher difficulty. You can take voluntary -5's ("raises" in 7th Sea's terminology) to get more eggs out of one roll. There is a hidden multiplier to the result for how far down this is done. The further down, the more eggs per roll.

The climb up switches to Resolve + Climb. This is done otherwise exactly as the climb down, including damage, except that you can also take raises to scale multiple levels in one roll. Like the above climbing, if you ever fail one of these, you fall into the drink (and lose all your eggs).

Hearing the rules, in and out of character, I and my character are both excited. Mandelos is The Dumbest Boy Alive and cannot do well at a Wits check of any kind. Kristjana is a well-balanced, athletic character, who is exceptionally skilled in climbing, fauna, and feats of resolve. She actually spec'd to be a tank, with 4 Resolve and a couple of extras that make her hard to kill. She is of above average Brawn and Wits. She thinks she can beat her rival, and I also drink the Kool Aid of this confidence.

I go first. Right off the bat, in the first ten feet of climbing down, Kristjana takes 24 damage from a 2k1 roll. The GM rolled an exploding 10, which exploded again. Fine. I soak the damage because Kristjana is tough as nails.

The next ten feet deals 27 more damage.

I should reiterate here: this is from another 2k1 damage roll. That means the GM is rolling 2 d10s and keeping 1 of them, exploding 10's. He got another multiple explosion from the k1 roll. Now I'm rolling to soak a total of 51 damage. I take 1 Dramatic Wound from this, and they reset. Because Kristjana is a strong, skilled climber, she also doesn't fall at the -24 and -27 penalty to both of these climb checks.

The rest of her climb is more pedestrian: mostly ~8 damage a pop, with two more exploding 10's along the way. She gets down to level 7 and she's got 3 Dramatic Wounds. A 7th Sea character is Crippled (and mechanically severely impeded) at a number of DW equal to their Resolve. Hers is 4, but she has an Advantage that pushes that back by 1, so she isn't crippled until 5 Dramatic Wounds. We have a couple other characters in our group that would be dead at that many DW. Anyway, I decide to push my luck and Kristjana goes down one more level. I have no frame of reference, as no one else has gone yet. I'm competing with Mandelos, but he hasn't gone yet. Kristjana stays at level 8 and searches for eggs there. I take a million raises and hit the check, completely filling the egg basket. I just got down so far and took so many raises at the check that I redlined the fucker.

Kristjana got dinged pretty hard on the way back up. I was able to take raises to make the ascent in three checks instead of eight, but by the time she got back to the top of the cliff she was carrying 4 Dramatic Wounds. She's covered in blood and feathers and cursing like a sailor. Mandelos goes up to her and asks, genuinely innocently, "how did it go?"

Mandelos' turn went more smoothly. He only suffered double-digit damage once, and emerged with a full basket as well. He was better at climbing down and took much less damage, so he took his time getting eggs. He ended up taking 3 Dramatic Wounds, and healed himself of one with his magic. One the very last climb check on the ascent, he had to blow both of his Drama Dice to not fail the check and fall into the water. So that was nice to see.

Upon standing up atop the cliff with his own basket of eggs, Mandelos looks into the basket, picks one egg out, heaves it over his shoulder and says, "There. That one didn't look so good." I took it as kind of a sweet, if unstated, nod to Kristjana. Normally they fight like hell and never let each other win, but he saw how battered she got by the birds that he gave her the win by that one egg.

In the aftermath, during OOC table talk, Mandelos' player reveals that the Rival background that Kristjana has for Mandelos isn't actually on his character sheet. It never was. Apparently Mandelos just considers her his close friend. He is just so self-assured and dumb and competitive that he only seems to be trying to compete with her. To her, he is a rival. To him, he wonders why his closest friend is such a Grumpy Gus.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Railing Kill posted:

In the aftermath, during OOC table talk, Mandelos' player reveals that the Rival background that Kristjana has for Mandelos isn't actually on his character sheet. It never was. Apparently Mandelos just considers her his close friend. He is just so self-assured and dumb and competitive that he only seems to be trying to compete with her. To her, he is a rival. To him, he wonders why his closest friend is such a Grumpy Gus.

There is something so...pure and wholesome about this paragraph that I can't articulate into words.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ah the sonic/mario relationship

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

the_steve posted:

There is something so...pure and wholesome about this paragraph that I can't articulate into words.

Yeah. Even the end of the narrative too speaks to the accidental compassion Mandelos has for his pal Kristjana. Throwing the egg over his shoulder was him just being callous and ditzy. But it also gave Kristjana the win, since they had matched the number of eggs before he threw one away for no reason. Mandelos is like this: he'll do you a solid, but just not in any way that he intends (in character; the player definitely knows what he is doing).

It's important to remember that he is literally superhuman. He has a form of sorcery that makes him like a Greek demigod. Kristjana has rune sorcery (half-blooded, so at a minor level) but when they're competing she is always overmatched by his physical prowess. Feats of athleticism come naturally and easily to him. She's good at them too, but only by years of discipline and stalking around alone in the woods. It's a rivalry borne out of the resentment of someone who has to work their rear end off for what the other person does effortlessly.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Crisis on Crete! by Paul ‘Wiggy’ Wade-Williams/Corners of My Eye!
To Live and Die in Lima!
30 psychic orphans in an ancient temple. The babysitting job from hell.
The party (Devika, Lord Simon, Penny and Tacito Uriel Velasco, attorney-at-law) were in Lima Peru. What was supposed to be a simple stop (poker tournament, airplane repairs) was sidetracked out the gate when Devika ran into a mystic orphan on the street! Luci Van Dorne was being recruited by an eyebrowless mentalist known as the Headmaster, of the secret Rising Stars Academy. The players needed to investigate!

At the school, Simon and Tacito searched for clues. Devika, excited to have peers, played volleyball. Penny surveyed staff and students, to see if they were really happy, and generally they were!
This is when the twist of the adventure was revealed. The camp was on the up and up!. The unhappy kids were just stressed about not having friends (which Devika solved with a giant game of tag). In fact, the only distressed person was the headmaster, who was secretly hundreds of years old, cursed by an amulet and eager to meet his maker.

During the poker tournament, Penny disobeyed one of the children’s psychic visions. She got tossed from the main table for going all in on the dead man’s hand, losing to three of a kind. Meanwhile, Simon and Devika secretly photographed the tournament prize: an ancient map of an Andean temple and its traps!

Simon and the gang followed the poker tournament’s winner, as he clandestinely sold the map to a camp counselor. They marshaled their funds, prepped for a trip, and hiked to the temple. Coincidentally, Devika had been invited on a hike with the campers.

Twenty empowered children and four forewarned adventurers were more than a match for the temple. The traps were disabled at a light jog, and even when the group fought the temple’s guardian, Devika and Simon thwarted the mystical barrier. Tacito, spirit boxer and Ace Attorney, nearly soloed the boss and didn’t take a lick of damage.

Of course, there was much to do after the headmaster’s intentional demise (dissolving both himself and his cursed amulet in lava). Tacito restructured the organization as a charity, putting in safeguards and background checks. Penny set to work interviewing all the counselors. Simon and Devika came up with a cool rumor about the Headmaster’s passing...

They also teased Penny about losing that tournament.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 29, 2024

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
How do you come up with a cooler way to die than death by lava? Just tell the truth, that's metal as hell!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

How do you come up with a cooler way to die than death by lava?

I'd be hardpressed to find one that wasn't.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
It all depends on how well you sell it. A death via lava is the easiest 'cool death' to achieve, however if you don't sell it well it's simply embarrassing. Meanwhile, other cool deaths (e.g. hurling yourself and your mortal enemy into a black hole) that are harder to achieve have a much higher cool-factor ceiling. So if you manage to sell it well, it makes Smeagul dying in Mt Doom look like some dumb kid struggling in a ball pit, for example.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Major Isoor posted:

It all depends on how well you sell it. A death via lava is the easiest 'cool death' to achieve, however if you don't sell it well it's simply embarrassing. Meanwhile, other cool deaths (e.g. hurling yourself and your mortal enemy into a black hole) that are harder to achieve have a much higher cool-factor ceiling. So if you manage to sell it well, it makes Smeagul dying in Mt Doom look like some dumb kid struggling in a ball pit, for example.

And if you don't sell it well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U89S-Y_fX0o&t=52s

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

To Live and Die in Lima!
Slicin' Sand!
When Hawaii’s up for grabs, a lifeguard gets pushed past her limit.
You have to put the players a little at odds. Too much and they kill each other, but a little bit and some amazing sparks can fly.

I decided to put Penny An’Te, gambler/lifeguard, in a major surfing competition. Also entered was stuntwoman Lala Santinella, who was in disguise, not wanting to violate her film insurance.

Lala was far in the lead (with Penny trailing the Waikiki locals) when the men's finals started… and one of the top contenders, Percy, crashed into a submarine.

The players jumped into action, mostly. Some of them rushed into action, with Aldous the butler and Tácito the lawyer guarding photographer Javid’s equipment. Penny grabbed a canoe and rescued Percy, only then recognizing that he was her old boss at the Royal Hawaiian Garden Hotel.

(Astute readers have noticed that this adventure is in Hawaii, and likely a sequel to Junkie’s Rainbow! And the cleverest of those astute readers would guess, correctly, but this is the same submarine used by Ito Takagi, Japanese saboteur!)

Unfortunately, Takagi escaped. Lala, ahead on points, won the tournament after was canceled due to sub. It was only then Penny realized that the masked surfer was her longtime rival!
——
This was an action-packed session with five players, so I can only hope to summarize some of the best bits. Tacito, the international lawyer, had been retained to help a Scottish family keep the island of Niihau. Unfortunately, Niihau was wanted by many. The United States, and therefore Hawaii, had an obvious claim; the League of Nations was willing to throw lawyers at the issue, planning to use the mostly uninhabited tropical paradise as a central base; and the Japanese had a complicated hundred-year-old claim.

Meanwhile, Devika surprised her adoptive mother Lala with a rural estate. Formerly belonging to Maude Brown, Aldous’s boss, the manse had another distinguishing feature: it was right above Penny’s house.

Devi had also flown in the stuntwoman’s family, since fascist Italy was a no-visit zone. The Santinellas were very confused and upset their daughter had adopted a child but didn’t have a husband; this attitude shifted when they found out said child was a millionaire. (All the secrets and shenanigans, as well as neighborly issues, were a great source of drama. And while all of this may seem expositional, I make sure to give each player a few paragraphs of separate intro before the game.)

In another subplot, Aldous was asked to train the service staff of the Royal Hawaiian Gardens. He overcame his inner snob to provide as much instruction as possible to the earnest/inept staffers.

But you’re reading for pulp action, and this session brought it! Tácito dug into ancient Hawaiian law and found an explanation of trial by ordeal. Each tribe could send a champion, with each designing a contest.

When the players dug in, however, they found every representative was a former foe! The League had appointed the extremely well-spoken Professor Paradox. Penny was not happy, considering the last time they met, the Professor had tried to kill her with the Lincoln statue. Lala and Aldous were more upset by the Scottish champion, Glengol McTavish. And representing Japan was someone who was mostly hated by players not in attendance, Ito Takagi.
(Javid joked that if Connie Morgan had shown up, the group would have to fight the Scottish, the Japanese, and the USA because of her antics in Junkie's Rainbow.)

The players did reconnaissance, meeting the champions around the islands, with Penny and Lala warming up to the afronationalist Professor P. Unfortunately, they spilled that the Scottish Champion was Glengol, who had fled Jamaica after the events of Wickedest Sound. The Prof wanted to just shoot the guy. Glengol had, after all, used hypnotic records to try and destroy the Jamaican people, and had personally attacked Lala with a claymore. Penny argued for subtlety. Neither of them told Tacito what was going on.
——
The first tournament game was golf, held on Mount Waialeale. With an average rainfall of 450 inches a year, it was a Hawaiian version of the Scottish Highlands.

Penny, based on her popularity, locality, and need to show up Lala after the surfing incident, repped the USA. On her first golf swing. she shagged her ball far to the left. Paradox did a bit better…
Glengol’s golfball exploded. In the ensuing chaos, so did Takagi’s head.
——
A quarter mile away, Javid carved a notch onto his sniper stock. One less fascist spreading the plots of Imperial Japan.
——
Penny and the Professor whispered to each other. Neither was aware that the other was going to take out the competition so blatantly.

Even farther away, half a dozen intelligence agencies asked if they were behind it. Japan argued that since he didn't golf, Takagi wasn't an official entrant. They got a new pick, racer Sunny Bounder.
——
The next few events were perfunctory. Penny used her tremendous luck (earned in Luck Be a Lady to complete Sunny's road race at record speed. The lifeguard cleaned up at Omaha poker and did surprisingly well at the professor's competition, theoretical mathematics. Two 1sts and a place; that was a win!
By the end of the session, Penny had far outshone her rival Lala. She barely had time to flirt before being whisked for luncheons and sponsorships. Lala’s movie (which she earned in Hooray for Hellywood!) was sunk by accurate rumors that the studio was deeply involved with a satanic cult.
——
Evening, a month later. Lala sat with her mother and her family on the veranda, watching a rainbow sunset crest the horizon. In the fire pit was a sarcastic letter from Leni Riefenstahl, and some particularly cutting issues of Variety. Lala’s father gave some hard-earned wisdom: “Well, at least you’re rich. Now do you know anywhere on the island where I can get good semolina?”

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 30, 2024

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My DM has appropriated a catch phrase. "How can I make this worse? OK, I'm gonna make this worse."

There was a meme a few weeks ago about silencing a spellcaster by shoving your fingers down their throat. I made the joke during game and apparently he tucked it away for future use.

Last session a Revenant who has been hunting my Warlock of the Undead caught up to us for the third time as part of an "Injustice League" of bad guys who we let get away/got away (the sole sister from a hag trio, the githyanki lover of a gith general we slayed, the remnants of a terrorist cell we let off the book due to the leader being a PC's childhood friend, a corrupt captain of the guard who turned out to be a demon, a raksasha, and said Revenant).

The hag gave the Revenant a Belt of Stone Giant Strength. On the first turn said Revenant charged across the battle field, grappled my Warlock, and proceeded to make an Athletics roll to shove their fingers in his mouth, meaning I couldn't cast spells with somatic components. Misty Step and Dimension Door don't take somatic components... but the githyanki had locked down the temple so any kind of teleportation was impossible, even on the same plane.

So I spent nearly the entire fight Silenced, with my familiar and my pre-summoned Skeletal Mage trying to nickel-and-dime this screaming Revenant as I kept failing opposed roll after opposed roll to pull her fingers from my mouth with my 10 STR Warlock.

We managed to win (barely) when the Barbarian pulled the Revenant free (taking my tongue with me because I rolled a 1 on an opposed check and she rolled a 20. By that point I had gone from 'frustrated' to 'OK, sir, make it worse... gently caress, you made it worse!' to 'This is one for the ages') and used my Circlet of Frost (Ray of Frost with levelled cantrip damage) to help mop up.

It's all over, I'm wheezing because holy poo poo, my DM is a bastard, and he looks me square in the eye and says (before cracking up himself), "Next time you want to joke about using Telekinesis to cause testicular torsion... remember this."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CobiWann posted:

My DM has appropriated a catch phrase. "How can I make this worse? OK, I'm gonna make this worse."

There was a meme a few weeks ago about silencing a spellcaster by shoving your fingers down their throat. I made the joke during game and apparently he tucked it away for future use.

Last session a Revenant who has been hunting my Warlock of the Undead caught up to us for the third time as part of an "Injustice League" of bad guys who we let get away/got away (the sole sister from a hag trio, the githyanki lover of a gith general we slayed, the remnants of a terrorist cell we let off the book due to the leader being a PC's childhood friend, a corrupt captain of the guard who turned out to be a demon, a raksasha, and said Revenant).

The hag gave the Revenant a Belt of Stone Giant Strength. On the first turn said Revenant charged across the battle field, grappled my Warlock, and proceeded to make an Athletics roll to shove their fingers in his mouth, meaning I couldn't cast spells with somatic components. Misty Step and Dimension Door don't take somatic components... but the githyanki had locked down the temple so any kind of teleportation was impossible, even on the same plane.

So I spent nearly the entire fight Silenced, with my familiar and my pre-summoned Skeletal Mage trying to nickel-and-dime this screaming Revenant as I kept failing opposed roll after opposed roll to pull her fingers from my mouth with my 10 STR Warlock.

The hand was grappled and restrained. What you should have done is rolled for bite damage :black101:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
In Soviet Tanicus, Warlock bite Undead!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
You could have bitten the fingers. You could have licked and sucked them suggestively. You could have given the revenant a noogie. You could have practiced throat singing and sung your verbal components instead. I’m just saying, you had options.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

CobiWann posted:

My personal phrase is saying that my players are handing me bullets for guns with their character's names on it.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

CobiWann posted:

the sole sister from a hag trio, the githyanki lover of a gith general we slayed, the remnants of a terrorist cell we let off the book due to the leader being a PC's childhood friend, a corrupt captain of the guard who turned out to be a demon, a raksasha, and said Revenant

This sounds like you've got a party sorted for evil one-shots and maybe a second table

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

CobiWann posted:

The hag gave the Revenant a Belt of Stone Giant Strength. On the first turn said Revenant charged across the battle field, grappled my Warlock, and proceeded to make an Athletics roll to shove their fingers in his mouth, meaning I couldn't cast spells with somatic components.

I misread this at first, and thought that the Revenant had shoved the warlock's fingers into HIS mouth, which was as equally "oh lord that's awful" as what it actually was. :stonklol:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's Finger-Lich-ing Good

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jetamo posted:

I misread this at first, and thought that the Revenant had shoved the warlock's fingers into HIS mouth, which was as equally "oh lord that's awful" as what it actually was. :stonklol:

You can't cast somatic components because you can't move your fingers, and you can't cast verbal components until you figure out the words to describe exactly how unpleasant this is.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Stop gagging yourself. Stop gagging yourself.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Hostile V posted:

My personal phrase is saying that my players are handing me bullets for guns with their character's names on it.

I go for the straightforward, “That was dumb. Roll initiative.”

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Phy posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Phy posted:

New thread title?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bbcisdabomb posted:

You can't cast somatic components because you can't move your fingers, and you can't cast verbal components until you figure out the words to describe exactly how unpleasant this is.

Fwiw this made me wait to leave the bathroom so nobody at work could see me cackling

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Agrikk posted:

I go for the straightforward, “That was dumb. Roll initiative.”
:hmmyes:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Syrian Lannister posted:

New thread title?

I second. Gotta push the new edition after all!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
# Jessica by the Allman Brothers plays. #

Tonight, a party of revolutionaries confront the High King in his father's tomb...

... the son turns out to be the father's soul in his son's body, and killing the son's body allows the son's soul to take over, resulting in a Pit Fiend Paladin of Conquest...

... and since killing both father and son results in a prophecy coming true, with the capital city now floating two hundred feet over the surface of Avernus, Morloch has an offer for us.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"Meanwhile, Richard steams upriver into the dark heart of Irvine to find the source code of Icewind Dale 2, and James is banned from Gencon for beating a man half to death over 4th Edition"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We've begun our new game, Heroes of the End, my attempt at translating the odd roguelike survival game Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead into a Cardinal system semi-tactical RPG. The party consists of David Thorpe, a mechanic from New Chicago who escaped his 'mantle-being-cracked-by-portals' dying world into another world dying of something else. Trevor Nielson, a confused lumberjack from British Columbia kidnapped by dimension-raiding government commandos (think evil Stargate) for study, but his world is so close in parallel that the only difference is hockey never caught on in Canada. Dr. Christine Spencer, the daughter of a Heritage Foundation elitist who went into science and ended up working for XEDRA, the interdimensional black-ops research people who caused all this, and who plans to turn herself into a mutant engine of destruction to try to avenge her part in all this and try to help stop it. And Xuanyue Huang, usually goes by Shaun, a Chinese-American runaway and vagrant kidnapped by XEDRA for mutagen research who was a test-bed for Captain-America-like 'Alpha' human+ Mutagen.

They start out in a XEDRA facility for portal research, when the first Portal Storm hits and the true Cataclysm starts. Zombies, people going mad from alien goo in their brains, invading opportunistic alien species, and space-time distortions will be pursuing them out of the place. The three captives were set free by Dr. Spencer because, as she put it, their chances improve enormously and hers improve only slightly less if she isn't alone. Now it's up to them to get out of there, explore the ruins of New Hampshire, and try to figure out what the hell to do while fighting legions of the dead, nihilistic bikers, alien slavers, and the horror that is the Zombie Cow in the year 2039. I'm excited!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Kavak posted:

"Meanwhile, Richard steams upriver into the dark heart of Irvine to find the source code of Icewind Dale 2, and James is banned from Gencon for beating a man half to death over 4th Edition"

I do love a good period piece but also I hate the period (2009)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Slicin' Sand!
Sky Pirates of the Caribbean! By Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams
An army of aerial aces eager to paint the sky red.

In 2012, the art collective Synydyne tweeted a sentence that perfectly sums up this adventure: “Everything happens so much.” The session was back to back to back incident. And even with tremendous luck and proper planning, we couldn’t get through it all. That makes it the first two-parter in this game’s year-plus history.

Knowing this was a Sky Pirates module, the party enlisted pilot/scientist professor Winston Callahan. He joined Simon, Devika, and Connie Johnson, Negro League ace.

To show you have jam-packed this module was, there were four separate fights. I’ll explain each encounter and then how we diffused it.

*Sky Pirates over Bermuda: Our longest flight, lasting two rounds. Despite no one in the party having any skill at gunplay, we modified the plane so Connie could shoot metal baseballs. We also hired some backup pilots to draw fire.

*Cannibal tribe on uncharted island: Devika used her mesmer powers to frighten their leader, and the rest ran away after him.
*Thug ambush number one: on the tarmac in Boston, thugs ran in firing wildly. Devika slow-pitched a baseball to Connie, which she put right through the windshield, causing the driver to jerk the wheel and roll over.

*Thug ambush number two: exactly the same as the first one but outside a house in New Haven. This time, the car we saw crashed into an unseen alternate ambush vehicle.

Besides that, there was a spy hunt in Boston, some light B&E, a forced landing, a a multi-day flight to Arizona complete with a canyon chase, a nightclub with a secret contact, and a secret government prison in the desert, that the players immediately tried to expose.

It ended in a cliffhanger that pointed us towards Argentina, which would be the FIFTH formal location change. Too much, Wiggedy-Williams!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 29, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Sky Pirates of the Caribbean! By Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams
The Lost Jewels of Éire by JC Connors: Redux!
The story of this week was the story of trying to find players. Because holy poo poo. I’m too to stubborn cancel despite having no recurring weekly players, so I thought it would round up three online extras and run something off the beaten path. One person was going to back out the morning of, but I convinced them to stay… then they wanted to back out again because they were sick… Then they showed up for 30 minutes in the middle anyway.

Some people read the game listing enough to apply, but didn’t understand vast swaths of the 70-word post. What "2PM PST" meant, or what “we are using the fate core game system” could mean. I had someone swear up and down that he was one of the most patient people ever… But he quit before picking a character.

One player showed up, mostly to watch, but had to join in by typing because we only had one player with voice and camera. Props to them, because they, unlike most people, were able to keep up with text while we did voice.

My All-Star player was the only one who was able to stay through the entire session. I was running Jewels (last time I played), so it stayed more or less on course. We even got one of the cool horror spots of the ending. There’s an ancient tree made of Amber, with an older-than-old fossilized man inside. An Italian-Gestapo officer tried to cut down the tree, only to get pulled in and drowned alive.

Of course the player who stayed was a reporter (Oksana Larsson) and was willing to try and outfox an intelligence agent to get the full story. They were able to keep up with each other, until a villain everyone had been ignoring snuck into negotiations with a poisonous snake. Chaos.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 4, 2023

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
poo poo like that is why I don't go LFG on actual gaming forums. I wanna game with people who I'm friends with already.

Ofc most of them don't know anything other than D&D and I swore to never again run a D&D campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Make them play B/X then :v: