Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Does anyone have familiarity with the snare rules? https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=743

Are there rules about how a snare is deployed? Are there certain snares or feats that allow a character to deploy a snare within a single turn? Sort of seeing if I could create a gimmick around that...

The Ranger has an entire line of feats to make snares more feasible to use.

Edit: Snarecrafter archetype also has good tricks for using snares on short notice.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Does anyone have familiarity with the snare rules? https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=743

Are there rules about how a snare is deployed? Are there certain snares or feats that allow a character to deploy a snare within a single turn? Sort of seeing if I could create a gimmick around that...

If you're looking into snare builds, there's a pretty good document on them.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Welp, second session, I'm still the fighter, and I just got pulped for 28 damage by a statue critting me on a nat 20. This kinda sucks. :(

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Welp, second session, I'm still the fighter, and I just got pulped for 28 damage by a statue critting me on a nat 20. This kinda sucks. :(

Are you running an adventure path or do you have a 5e DM throwing random poo poo at you because that works in 5e and they didn't read up on the game?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Are you running an adventure path or do you have a 5e DM throwing random poo poo at you because that works in 5e and they didn't read up on the game?

It's all of our first time doing 2e. The statue was by itself, and the DM told us that the calculator said it was a moderate threat encounter. I don't think our DM had DMed 5e before, actually.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

a level 3 animated statue can crit for 28 damage if it rolls for max damage

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Andrast posted:

a level 3 animated statue can crit for 28 damage if it rolls for max damage

That is exactly what happened. 28 damage and my max HP was 20.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 29, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Random question: does anyone know a Pathfinder deity that is all about horses or is themselves a horse?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

marshmallow creep posted:

Random question: does anyone know a Pathfinder deity that is all about horses or is themselves a horse?

Erastil has a spirit champion that's a horse and they're Kurgess' sacred animal. Also a weird amount of evil gods are associated with evil or demonic horses.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ZZT the Fifth posted:

That really sucks, I'm sorry.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

An incomplete overview from the Golarion lore wiki:

quote:

Being such an important part of many cultures throughout the world, it is unsurprising that the horse is considered sacred by a number of gods and their followers. Among these are Alazhra, the patron god of night hags (who travel on the horse-like nightmares), Kurgess, the Strong Man, the daemonic harbinger Geon, the dwarven god Grundinnar, the empyreal lords Marishi and Sinashakti, naturally the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, and the infernal duke Eligos, known as the Winged Rider.
In Tian Xia, General Susumu is associated with horses and his unholy symbol features a black, winged horse.

Most of these are evil gods - Geon, notably, is a Centaur himself, and General Susumu’s symbol a horse.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I have an Investigator player who seems to enjoy engaging with devise a stratagem and planning his turn around optimal use of the die result.

I've been thinking that it might be fun for him to have a dueling pistol with that fat 1d10 fatal trait so that he can do something nasty if he is feeling like he might have devised a critical hit (he normally uses a rapier and shortbow). I'm a little leery about the action penalty involved in drawing and stowing the gun here, such that it might not feel like all that much of a fun "jackpot" moment. He has experimented with crossbows and disliked the reload time there so I have no doubt the gun would only ever be used on a strong Devise roll and probably once per combat at most.

I've been wondering if maybe I could reward him with not just a gun but some kind of minor magic item that gives a limited form of the Quick Draw feat. A magic holster that lets you quick draw once per hour? Once per day? Maybe this kind of affordance isn't necessary in the first place?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

There's some ranger feats about quick snares but otherwise snares are deployed at the same time they're crafted. Some APs goofed and had them as loot but it's not actually meant to be possible to pick one up and reuse it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Scoss posted:

I have an Investigator player who seems to enjoy engaging with devise a stratagem and planning his turn around optimal use of the die result.

I've been thinking that it might be fun for him to have a dueling pistol with that fat 1d10 fatal trait so that he can do something nasty if he is feeling like he might have devised a critical hit (he normally uses a rapier and shortbow). I'm a little leery about the action penalty involved in drawing and stowing the gun here, such that it might not feel like all that much of a fun "jackpot" moment. He has experimented with crossbows and disliked the reload time there so I have no doubt the gun would only ever be used on a strong Devise roll and probably once per combat at most.

I've been wondering if maybe I could reward him with not just a gun but some kind of minor magic item that gives a limited form of the Quick Draw feat. A magic holster that lets you quick draw once per hour? Once per day? Maybe this kind of affordance isn't necessary in the first place?

https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=437

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm certain my players would probably fall over themselves to have those gloves but they are currently level 2 and a half. It looks like a good template to start from though.

Maybe a cut down version of those gloves to be more level appropriate? Only store a weapon and/or a longer cooldown?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I mean you didn't die though right? Early levels you get knocked out in combat fairly often.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I previously posted about something similar happening in my group's starting levels, a PC got one-shot from full straight through a shield block. It wasn't even a solo monster, just some low level archer with deadly dice and a relatively high damage roll.

Since you said your group was new to the system, don't make the same mistake my group nearly did in a similar situation by both not remembering we had hero points and also not remembering that one of their uses is to just stand the gently caress back up from dying on the floor.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

bewilderment posted:

There's some ranger feats about quick snares but otherwise snares are deployed at the same time they're crafted. Some APs goofed and had them as loot but it's not actually meant to be possible to pick one up and reuse it.

When you spell it out like that...that makes a lot of sense :)

I guess I started from the idea that I wanted to be able to deploy them after creation, so obviously there must be rules for that. Probably easier for me to take an alchemy feat or two, and use things like tanglefoot bag to do what I'm imagining.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Scoss posted:

I'm certain my players would probably fall over themselves to have those gloves but they are currently level 2 and a half. It looks like a good template to start from though.

Maybe a cut down version of those gloves to be more level appropriate? Only store a weapon and/or a longer cooldown?

Maybe something like https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=1209

It pulls the reload action out of the economy in favor of simply draw/drop/repeat.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I mean you didn't die though right? Early levels you get knocked out in combat fairly often.

The other, squishier party members got crit and pasted within a couple of turns because we have no combat healing and terrible dice luck. We had to redo the combat because of it.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 29, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

to get owned by the dice is honorable

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's a really cool idea but a short bow is already deadly d10 so you only really get an average of +4 crit damage out of the fatal d6-> d10. So it might not be worth the action economy to the player. Give them the pistol anyway though. It can be held with the rapier.

There's also critical fusion weapons and double barrel pistol or musket that the player might enjoy later for even bigger lols.

The musket goes to Fatal D12 but has a double reload of time.

I'd really like to play investigator someday the idea of just whipping out a loving scythe and taking off someone's head because I know I hit a 20 is amazing.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 29, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zore posted:

Erastil has a spirit champion that's a horse and they're Kurgess' sacred animal. Also a weird amount of evil gods are associated with evil or demonic horses.

I found Erastil's spirit horse, but I hadn't found the detail about Kurgess.

Chevy Slyme posted:

An incomplete overview from the Golarion lore wiki:

Most of these are evil gods - Geon, notably, is a Centaur himself, and General Susumu’s symbol a horse.

Interesting. Thank you.

I think I'll go with Arangin and by extension Erastil. I'm thinking a goblin that has become obsessed with horses, and may be trying to start a cult dedicated to Arangin.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Erastil is such a weird god for a D&D-style RPG. The god of staying home instead of going on adventures. Of course you could play a Cleric or Champion of Erastil in a campaign where you’re strictly fighting an imminent threat to your hometown, but how many campaigns really fit that category?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

Erastil is such a weird god for a D&D-style RPG. The god of staying home instead of going on adventures. Of course you could play a Cleric or Champion of Erastil in a campaign where you’re strictly fighting an imminent threat to your hometown, but how many campaigns really fit that category?

Abomination Vaults fits that really well.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Lean into the family/community aspect by considering your party your family to protect and guide, maybe. Or broaden your definition of community to be more than a village or neighborhood, maybe get proactive about the idea of "threats" to it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Safeguard your community by going outside your community and killing all the threats to it. :911:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Or apply the Endless Road philosophy and make it so that you're searching for your community.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
The session last night ended up with us being sold out by our present employer and our part, getting mostly oneshot into unconsciousness by a group of guards way above our level, then tossed into a cell - it was dragged out far longer than it should have been by one player getting lucky with being missed (who lost their enthusiasm for play anyway, when it became apparent the battle was intended to be unwinnable) and another player getting lucky with the incoming damage rolls and having the guards chase them. I had to whisper nudges to the GM a few times to draw a veil over the scene, because the former player was getting really upset and two of our characters were already unconscious.

:sigh: This could be going better.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

You should ask you GM to roll in private. It seems like they want to tell a story and the dice aren't letting them. Level 1 combat is super swingy so if you roll in the open people are probably going to go down and with no combat healing that can snowball real fast.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Safeguard your community by going outside your community and killing all the threats to it. :911:

Yes, pretty much what I was thinking. Though it's also a fair justification for chasing down whatever giant disastrous villain there is in your campaign, just because "well poo poo, someday not-Sauron is coming for my not-Shire no matter what."

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

gurragadon posted:

You should ask you GM to roll in private. It seems like they want to tell a story and the dice aren't letting them. Level 1 combat is super swingy so if you roll in the open people are probably going to go down and with no combat healing that can snowball real fast.

I'm sure there are settings to tweak but sometimes our GM rolls in private and we all laugh when Foundry plays the "Critical hit!" sound effect. Gee I wonder what you rolled.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

GMs need to use fewer solo enemy encounters. They are a lot more swingy and less tactically interesting than fighting a group.

I've also never seen an intentionally overturned fight where the players are guaranteed to lose with no way of escaping or winning be anything other than a trainwreck. If players can't affect the outcome, don't start rolling the dice. Even a skill challenge would be a better fit, you don't have any real agency against encounters above extreme.

People didn't agree to set aside their precious time to get their rear end kicked by some cops in slow motion.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 29, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Yeah, it the fight is going to be unwinnable don't make them even play for it. Rather than the painful illusion of agency do something that makes it clear this is narrative.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Silver2195 posted:

hilariously the upcoming adventure path Season of Ghosts is exactly this

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

KPC_Mammon posted:

Even a skill challenge would be a better fit, you don't have any real agency against encounters above extreme.

I'd disagree with this under certain circumstances, mainly that it has to be made up of sufficiently weak enemies (basically so that you don't just get outstatted to death) and that you can control the terrain such that you can stop some of the enemies from making it to you.

One time we did something like that via a two-layer body block (so that enemies couldn't Tumble Through) vs primarily melee enemies.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
As an aside, one of our party members had a critical failure at Earning Income with Crafting during the pre-adventure downtime last session. And I gotta agree with them - the penalty for critical failure, RAW, seems pretty loving harsh for an unlucky roll in an attempt to engage with the game mechanics. Like - "You get fired and your reputation suffers and you have a hard time finding jobs in the future"? All that for a bad roll of the dice? Cripes.

E: and before you mention Experienced Professional, we're level 1 and it only affects Lore.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 30, 2023

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Harold Fjord posted:

It's a really cool idea but a short bow is already deadly d10 so you only really get an average of +4 crit damage out of the fatal d6-> d10. So it might not be worth the action economy to the player. Give them the pistol anyway though. It can be held with the rapier.

There's also critical fusion weapons and double barrel pistol or musket that the player might enjoy later for even bigger lols.

The musket goes to Fatal D12 but has a double reload of time.

I'd really like to play investigator someday the idea of just whipping out a loving scythe and taking off someone's head because I know I hit a 20 is amazing.

I think your math is off on the fatal damage there, fatal not only upgrades the weapon dice but also adds an extra 'pseudo-deadly' die on top. That would make a fatal d10 weapon crit as if it were a d10 weapon with deadly d10 at base, it just wouldn't gain more on-crit dice with striking runes like a weapon with the actual deadly property would.

Devise a Stratagem also specifies that you need to use an agile or finesse weapon with it, so scythes are unfortunately not on the list.

My theoretical ideal weapon for pulling out of your pocket when you Devise a natural 20 is the big boom gun. One-handed d6 firearm with reload 1, but fatal d12. Uncommon martial weapon, but goblin or human ancestry could both get access to that if it's an issue. The only reason it's not automatically the best PF2 gun printed is because it has an extra effect where it misfires and explodes on a critical miss, but if you're only pulling it out for Devised shots then you'll never need to worry about that. Average damage on a crit would start at 1d12 * 2 + 1d12 [19.5], scaling up with runes to 4d12 * 2 + 1d12 [58.5].

If you're looking for huge one-shots though, that's still nothing compared to a Magus dumping focus spells from an archetype like Imaginary Weapon into a Spellstrike at bow range. Investigator really ought to have some kind of ability like Power Attack/Megaton Strike/One-Inch Punch to bring it more on par with Rogue.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Vanguard Warden posted:

I think your math is off on the fatal damage there, fatal not only upgrades the weapon dice but also adds an extra 'pseudo-deadly' die on top. That would make a fatal d10 weapon crit as if it were a d10 weapon with deadly d10 at base, it just wouldn't gain more on-crit dice with striking runes like a weapon with the actual deadly property would.

Oh I meant you'd make the extra dice from your striking rune bigger sizes. But I've also been forgetting to add the additional deadly die now that you mention it, changes the math. Before extra runes the bonus d10s are equivalent. The big advantage of a pistol here is that it can be drawn offhand with a rapier.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Devise a Stratagem also specifies that you need to use an agile or finesse weapon with it, so scythes are unfortunately not on the list.

:eng99: I keep forgetting they do this. Totally reasonable of them.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sieu?fbclid=IwAR3o_wMHwNp55-wj4aphzSTbv6qLyUBcKor1VbKmplG3Ej_VdJ2lhWQJlL0

Small peek at the ancestries in the Player Core.
No mechanical features, mainly just a mention of the core ancestries being dwarf, elf, gnome, goblin, halfling, human, leshy, and orc.