Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Zokari posted:

i wonder if their plan might have worked if EGS had actually launched as a legitimate counterpart to Steam instead of having the literal bare minimum numbers of features to be classified as a store

I mean to be fair that's how Steam started too, they just had a decade long head start on being a online video game service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Zokari posted:

i wonder if their plan might have worked if EGS had actually launched as a legitimate counterpart to Steam instead of having the literal bare minimum numbers of features to be classified as a store
Well not actually because there are like 20 Steam clones out there and EGS is the only one with an annoying full-page loading screen that blocks the entire UI for several seconds every time you restore it.

No Wave posted:

The thing is Fortnite has such massive reach that it really doesnt make sense to work on other stuff. But it also means the company is screwed if it dies down. In a non-corporate world this would be pure upside just keep running the money machine until it stops then everyone can move on and do something else but its a model that doesnt seem to scale into the hundreds/thousands of employees.
It makes sense to work on other things to hit audiences outside of the Fortnite audience, and to lower the risk of the company sinking if the ROI on Fortnite development starts to fall.

In theory, a company should be using its expertise and resources to access new markets, but Epic's history is so erratic that it's kinda weird to be asking what their "formula for success" even is. Even Fortnite was mostly on track to be kind of a "meh" release until they ripped off a game mode from one of their own licensees which somehow blew it up into the biggest game in the world.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 29, 2023

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The FIFA game will also include NFTs because everyone knows those are cool

Just think.. people will be able to have digital trading cards of their favorite sports bowl characters!!!!! no one has ever thought of this before!!!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/beardedspectre/status/1707458629069091272?t=e1Stdl3hjSLT8H_FVJMq6Q&s=19

what will it take to get game industry employees to unionize

serious

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://x.com/moa810/status/1707541071205724413?s=20

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

victrix posted:

https://twitter.com/beardedspectre/status/1707458629069091272?t=e1Stdl3hjSLT8H_FVJMq6Q&s=19

serious

It's starting to happen in Australia, for what it's worth. https://www.gameworkers.com.au/

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Viscous Soda posted:

I mean to be fair that's how Steam started too, they just had a decade long head start on being a online video game service.

It's a lot more forgivable when one of the first big entries in such a field had few modern features at start. Less so when it's someone coming in later with a lot of money and an active plan to carve out massive market share, yet sets out with something almost comically barebones.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

victrix posted:

serious

There are a number of strikes concurrently happening which should hopefully lead to big wins across the board and definitive proof that unionizing is good. Seriously though game industry employees might be too libertarian as a whole to acknowledge any of that.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

nachos posted:

There are a number of strikes concurrently happening which should hopefully lead to big wins across the board and definitive proof that unionizing is good. Seriously though game industry employees might be too libertarian as a whole to acknowledge any of that.

What strikes relevant to the games industry are happening exactly?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

leper khan posted:

I don't think a strike needs to be gaming-related to get across the point of "if you unionize you can bargain from a position of power" when industries even larger than games buckle under that pressure.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

leper khan posted:

Offhand it seems pretty likely SAG-AFTRA is about to beef with various game publishers, so there's that.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I mean, I know there were various internal issues but I remember when GWU made their big public splash at GDC, back in 2018 I think? I still have a treasured full color copy of their extremely well done zine from then.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

claw game handjob posted:

Offhand it seems pretty likely SAG-AFTRA is about to beef with various game publishers, so there's that.

They're not getting what they really want and everyone involved knows that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SubponticatePoster posted:

I don't think a strike needs to be gaming-related to get across the point of "if you unionize you can bargain from a position of power" when industries even larger than games buckle under that pressure.

if that was true the whole country would have been unionized decades ago

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pulcinella posted:

Epic Games isn't a publicly traded company.
Huh then they don't actually have an obligation to continuously increase profits. It's just greed.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Terrible Opinions posted:

Huh then they don't actually have an obligation to continuously increase profits. It's just greed.

Just because they aren't publicly traded doesn't mean they don't have shareholders - nor that their shareholders won't make demands. Not to mention Tim Sweeney is the majority shareholder, and ostensibly wants to make more money.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

dr_rat posted:

lol. Oh this game will be glorious. I wounder which bottom of the barrel shovelware studio they'll hire to poo poo it out. Obviously which ever one the hire will be the one that promises the most micro-transaction included.

Maybe they can hire Curt Schilling.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
It would suck if EGS went under because the effective monopoly that Steam would have on PC gaming, particularly when it gets sold in a few years when Gabe retires and just wants to come back down here to his Kiwi bolthole, could be extremely harmful.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if that was true the whole country would have been unionized decades ago

They did and then rich people convinced everyone that unions are evil.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Does Steam really have a monopoly? There's nothing stopping you from putting your games on GOG or Itch.io, people just want their games on Steam because of the visibility and the services.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SubponticatePoster posted:

Computer touchers consider themselves different from those factory workers. Unions are for manual laborers.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

mycot posted:

Does Steam really have a monopoly? There's nothing stopping you from putting your games on GOG or Itch.io, people just want their games on Steam because of the visibility and the services.

There are obviously a lot of different definitions, but Steam has about 75% of the market and monopolies generally start in the 70-80% market share range. If Fortnite and ESG did suddenly fold, they'd be very solidly there.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

disposablewords posted:

It's a lot more forgivable when one of the first big entries in such a field had few modern features at start. Less so when it's someone coming in later with a lot of money and an active plan to carve out massive market share, yet sets out with something almost comically barebones.

Yeah it always annoyed me when people trotted out the 'Steam wasn't so much better back when they started!' argument. Because EGS isn't competing with Steam of 2003, they're competing with the Steam of today.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Tim Sweeney is Epic's majority shareholder, second is Tencent with about a 40% stake. Sony has like 5%.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Pararoid posted:

There are obviously a lot of different definitions, but Steam has about 75% of the market and monopolies generally start in the 70-80% market share range. If Fortnite and ESG did suddenly fold, they'd be very solidly there.
They also have a price parity requirement that exists solely to prevent competitors from undercutting them, and they can only get away with having that requirement because they have 75% of the market.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

OneEightHundred posted:

They also have a price parity requirement that exists solely to prevent competitors from undercutting them, and they can only get away with having that requirement because they have 75% of the market.

That feels like a practice that is like, against competition. If only there were a term for that.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I was talking to a paradox dev and they were like "yeah we occasionally have crunch before big releases, but it's mostly people staying like 3 hours late for a few weeks and our managers get yelled at for it every time because it'll piss off the union". There is literal evidence of unions working in even the games industry like right there :psyduck:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
computer touchers never learn.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Xun posted:

I was talking to a paradox dev and they were like "yeah we occasionally have crunch before big releases, but it's mostly people staying like 3 hours late for a few weeks and our managers get yelled at for it every time because it'll piss off the union". There is literal evidence of unions working in even the games industry like right there :psyduck:

drat, who could've imagined

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's not like there's really a way to "break up" steam, it's a virtual distribution platform. There is no obstacle to competing with it either (see GOG, humble, etc.), other than that from a consumer perspective it is orders of magnitude more convenient for all of your games to be accessible through a single launcher without a bunch of crufted-on bullshit.

If Epic wants to get in on that market they need to actually provide an alternative to steam that has value to consumers. Apart from the pile of free games, there is no reason to use it because the service sucks rear end.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Fajita Queen posted:

It's not like there's really a way to "break up" steam, it's a virtual distribution platform. There is no obstacle to competing with it either (see GOG, humble, etc.), other than that from a consumer perspective it is orders of magnitude more convenient for all of your games to be accessible through a single launcher without a bunch of crufted-on bullshit.

If Epic wants to get in on that market they need to actually provide an alternative to steam that has value to consumers. Apart from the pile of free games, there is no reason to use it because the service sucks rear end.

The way you compete is on price. Steam forbids competing on price. I'm trying to think of it, but I can't remember the word for this behavior.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I can't imagine any of the AAA developers would allow their games to be sold dramatically below market price on any storefront

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

leper khan posted:

Not strikes, specifically, but there’s a lot of unionisation effort going on in QA, particularly. Raven’s efforts over at Activision keep getting predictably brick walled, and IIRC there’s something going on over at Bethesda QA that Microsoft are surprisingly enough actually engaging with in good faith (or so someone who works within that empire tells me)

In other news, here’s another example of Epic simply trying to make the games industry a better place:
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1707612392388206597

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mycot posted:

I can't imagine any of the AAA developers would allow their games to be sold dramatically below market price on any storefront

Steam take a 30% cut. If a game is $60 on steam, the publisher could sell for $48 on EGS (which takes only 12%) and get the exact same revenue. Hell they could sell for $55 if they don't want to feel like they're "cheapening" the game and they'd make $6 extra per copy.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

mycot posted:

There are a shitload of devs that would gladly do a 10% off launch sale everywhere other than Steam just to tell Valve to gently caress off.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Steam take a 30% cut. If a game is $60 on steam, the publisher could sell for $48 on EGS (which takes only 12%) and get the exact same revenue. Hell they could sell for $55 if they don't want to feel like they're "cheapening" the game and they'd make $6 extra per copy.
A fun thought experiment but not one that any AAA publisher would actually engage in

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 29, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Doesn't the steam pricing parity rule only apply to selling steam keys? Like if the game is being sold on the epic store and downloaded from the epic servers they're allowed to price stuff however they like.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Terrible Opinions posted:

Doesn't the steam pricing parity rule only apply to selling steam keys? Like if the game is being sold on the epic store and downloaded from the epic servers they're allowed to price stuff however they like.
I think so. I only remember seeing it on the steamworks docs page for requesting keys. I’m welcome to being corrected by actual indie devs, though.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

lol there's no way in hell a publisher is gonna sell their game for less than 60/70 dollars even if they don't have to give steam their cut. people are already perfectly willing to buy games at that price. what incentive is there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Unless you hate money though why wouldn't you just sell the game on Epic for $60 and pocket the extra money. Which is what happens in practice.