Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

don’t throw your bacon grease away you heathens

Yeah, put it down the sink to lube the pipes and keep the gray water moving smoothly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Crusty Nutsack posted:

don’t throw your bacon grease away you heathens

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*cooks bacon*

*discards grease*

*goes to store and buys jar of prepackaged bacon grease*

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so it doesn't stink up the place before you fill the jar.

you don't put a lid on it??

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

*cooks bacon*

*discards grease*

*goes to store and buys jar of prepackaged bacon grease*

excuse me, that's artisanal tallow

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Feed it to your dog as a special treat

After it cools obv

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Big oil doesn’t want you to know this but you can cut motor oil with bacon grease (stay below a 4:1 ratio if the overnight temp might drop below 65, otherwise 3:1 is fine)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

isn't the smoke point is two degrees above boiling water

also it contains salt

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

How much grease and waste oil are y’all generating anyway? It takes me several months to fill a soda can with waste oil.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I don’t make much bacon (though BLT season was great this year) so I just keep mine in a little glass Tupperware in the fridge. I use it to make my refried beans mostly

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i made chef john's potato and cheese flatbread tonight to go with tomato soup and spinach salad for the fam, super easy and delicious way to use up some leftover taters and cheese scraps.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
chef john ftw

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

How much grease and waste oil are y’all generating anyway? It takes me several months to fill a soda can with waste oil.

i cook with it enough where i'm always desperate for some, but i drastically cut back on the amount of bacon i bought after bidenflation. i probably buy two pounds a year now

i forgot about salad dressings. if you split it 50/50 with olive oil it makes a fantastic vinaigrette

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

i say swears online posted:

i forgot about salad dressings. if you split it 50/50 with olive oil it makes a fantastic vinaigrette

My doctor just found himself standing in a corner and shivering, and he doesn't know why.

I'ma have to remember that one.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

i never deep fried stuff because i didnt want to have to dispose of so much oil then one day i realized its not that dirty and now i fry chicken in oil then i save the oil in a jar and fry stuff like tofu for stirfry in that and use the bits of cooked flour for gumbo which i need to start on soon now that its getting cold enough for soup

maybe the solution is to change the order in which you fry - cook fish with reused oil from frying tofu rather than the other way around

i am harry has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Sep 29, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i say swears online posted:

i cook with it enough where i'm always desperate for some, but i drastically cut back on the amount of bacon i bought after bidenflation. i probably buy two pounds a year now

I only ever buy bacon (and pretty much all meat) when it has been discounted 50% due to being close to the sell by date

save every drop of fat from the cooking though

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i am harry posted:

i never deep fried stuff because i didnt want to have to dispose of so much oil then one day i realized its not that dirty and now i fry chicken in oil then i save the oil in a jar and fry stuff like tofu for stirfry in that and use the bits of cooked flour for gumbo which i need to start on soon now that its getting cold enough for soup

maybe the solution is to change the order in which you fry - cook fish with reused oil from frying tofu rather than the other way around

I use "waste" oil to caramelize onions in mass. Got a pan with some oil in it? Have some rendered fat from cooking? Remaining oil from other frying? Caramelize onions.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

i am harry posted:

you filter the oil so there isn't solid debris floating in it, that's the secret.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i dont do a lot of deep frying or bacon-grease frying because the recipes we like most can be done pan-fried or baked. keeping that much grease around for non-consistent recipes just doesn't make sense, even though we also eat bacon sometimes

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Chard posted:

i dont do a lot of deep frying or bacon-grease frying because the recipes we like most can be done pan-fried or baked. keeping that much grease around for non-consistent recipes just doesn't make sense, even though we also eat bacon sometimes

pan frying is the best way. 420 pan fry everyday

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

This chats feeling real antisemitic rn re: schmaltz visibility

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Only quality first run oil for me :lofty:

Mostly it is due to how infrequently I fry foods, by the time I’d get to reusing oil it would definitely be stale and impart an old taste to the food

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a messy hassle and i don't want to deal with it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
currently scheming on some piroshky filling ideas. I'm thinking of doing caramelized onions with diced boiled potatoes and grated cheddar cheese with some sort of garlic/paprika spice blend.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

boiled egg, cabbage, ground beef/pork, carrots all good too

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

currently scheming on some piroshky filling ideas. I'm thinking of doing caramelized onions with diced boiled potatoes and grated cheddar cheese with some sort of garlic/paprika spice blend.

I like to keep it classic with ground beef, bacon, onion, and cabbage. Feel free to omit the beef and substitute more bacon.

As much as I like sauerkraut I feel like the meatless ones are a cheat tbh

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
these are a Special Request from my wife who is mostly vegetarian.

I'll probably make another batch for me with ground beef and cabbage.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a messy hassle and i don't want to deal with it.

pour the oil off into a coffee cup that you keep in the fridge

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

please, pyrizhky

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

you're lucky I didn't type "savory bread ravioli"

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

do samosa filling if you're going the potato route

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

you're lucky I didn't type "savory bread ravioli"

Not sure if that's better or worse than just calling them "Party Snacks" :ukraine:

A potato-filled pirozhky is basically a knish

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Tonight I am just making a big plate of stuffed mushrooms. Sometime I would like to attempt preparing the Red Lobster seafood stuffed variety.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I have a bunch of tomatoes I don’t think will ripen in time as the days get shorter and the cool rainy weather moves in. To that end, I want to try fried green tomatoes which I’ve never made, with a remoulade (also never made). Been reading various online recipes and it seems pretty easy, but wondering if the smart folks in here have any suggestions

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

put them on a shelf somewhere with normal room temperatures, maybe in a paper bag. they will ripen. not, like, well, but they'll ripen

I pick all my green tomatoes right before the frost and I usually have slowly ripening tomatoes for sandwiches over the coarse of two months or so

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I have a bunch of tomatoes I don’t think will ripen in time as the days get shorter and the cool rainy weather moves in. To that end, I want to try fried green tomatoes which I’ve never made, with a remoulade (also never made). Been reading various online recipes and it seems pretty easy, but wondering if the smart folks in here have any suggestions

There is a green tomato gazpacho that's pretty good too. I made it a couple years ago for similar reasons.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

if one has space the entire plant can be uprooted and left somewhere it doesn’t freeze and they’ll continue to vine ripen.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

bedpan posted:

I use "waste" oil to caramelize onions in mass. Got a pan with some oil in it? Have some rendered fat from cooking? Remaining oil from other frying? Caramelize onions.

If it's time to cook and I don't know what I want to have when I'm done, I start by caramelizing an onion. You have to start figuring out what you're doing pretty quickly if things are already on the stove.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

if one has space the entire plant can be uprooted and left somewhere it doesn’t freeze and they’ll continue to vine ripen.

Alas I have a relatively small house with very limited storage, I don’t really have room to let them vine or bag ripen. Green tomato gazpacho is a great idea though! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Alas I have a relatively small house with very limited storage, I don’t really have room to let them vine or bag ripen. Green tomato gazpacho is a great idea though! Thanks!

Store them in a plastic bag in your toilet tank