Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Jakabite posted:

The drug market in the UK is particularly good at the moment because of Brexit - with so much chaos at the border it’s easier and therefore cheaper to get more through for importers. I used to sit firm on my commitment to only taking 80+ a gram gear but these days 50 is actually fine. Likewise ket has got good again. It’s a great time to be a drug user in the UK!!!

I ask this as an occasional cocaine user : how do you square your cocaine use with the amount of human bloodshed and misery involved in getting it to you in the first place? Because I basically can't, and try to avoid coming into contact with it on that basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Kin posted:

I'm probably just being too cynical, but how much of a difference is this likely to make folk ride the train more.

Probably not much, but my partner has to commute Glasgow - Edinburgh so our travel costs will be halved for the next six months so that's nice.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

keep punching joe posted:

Scotrail is trialling off-peak only fares for the next six months :toot:

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/off-peak-fares-all-day-long

Wow, a genuinely good thing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jakabite posted:

The drug market in the UK is particularly good at the moment because of Brexit - with so much chaos at the border it’s easier and therefore cheaper to get more through for importers. I used to sit firm on my commitment to only taking 80+ a gram gear but these days 50 is actually fine. Likewise ket has got good again. It’s a great time to be a drug user in the UK!!!

Yep, UDA/UVF got bills to pay... probably the Real IRA as well. :homebrew:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Kin posted:

I'm not knowledgeable enough about petrol prices but does that actually make it cheaper to commute by train every morning vs driving (not that I'd want to drive from Edinburgh to Glasgow every day).

There's different ways of thinking about it - the money threshold to convince someone not to get a car is a lot lower than that to convince someone not to use a car they already have. Since in the former case you're comparing public transport costs with that of acquiring, insuring, and fuelling a car - whereas in the latter you're comparing only with fuel for a car they have and use for other stuff anyway.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

€100/g in Dublin, but the quality has gotten better over the years

That's really interesting.
There was a copy of the Garda Guidelines for the street value of drugs that circulated in the Law Library.
Essentially, it was used to work out if your client was caught with X grams of Heroin, how did they come up with a € valuation, and was it consistent with other valuations. (And almost always the values you would see in court cases matched the figures on this Garda Guidelines.)
Now I got a copy of it back in 2015 (and who knows how old this thing was even back then) and it was still doing the rounds when I stopped practising around 2021.

But back then, the figure for cocaine was €70 a gram. Which is funny as clients always gave out about this saying "that was Dublin prices" and "cocaine is never that expensive" and then tried to argue about purity levels and how that's not taken into account when calculating valuation*.

I guess the cost of living crisis has seen prices for it go up.
I wonder will the Guards increase those valuation charts to go to €100 per gram.

* = The only time you had an actual proper argument on valuation and prices was if you had an expert's report (and you'd only get something like that in a really niche case where the valuation was close to the €13,000 threshold as that's when it vered into the S.15 A territory where there was a mandatory minimum 10 year sentence. And really the ammount of times someone was caught with 14-15,000 of drugs was pretty small.)
Or if you had people caught with Cannabis plants and the court would hear arguments about how the speculated prices were for viable female plants and not , relatively speaking, worth-less male plants.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*20 minute Laurence Fox rant about plant misandry*

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Bring back the days when eccies were £2 a pill and you could get a half ounce of hash for £25.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Scotrail chat:

This is what happened when the GLC tried implementing massively reduced fares (which I remember as I was in my final year of uni then - the tubes were absolutely rammed, it was a really popular policy). This was also in the days before zones were a thing so if you got a ticket it was from Station A to Station B, not eg zone 3 to zone 1.

quote:

Fares Fair was a public policy advocated by the Labour Party administration of the Greater London Council (GLC), then led by Ken Livingstone. The policy of low public transport fares was implemented in 1981, but was later ruled to be illegal in the courts and rescinded the following year.

The Fares Fair policy had widespread support among Labour London members, who viewed it as a moderate and mainstream policy; no one had ever considered the legality of the move. In the 1981 GLC election, the political moderate Andrew McIntosh led Labour to victory, but the following day he was voted out by the Labour members of the GLC and replaced by Livingstone. Proceeding with the Fares Fair policy which they had promised in their electoral manifesto, they reduced London Transport fares by 32 per cent in October 1981.

The legality of the Fares Fair policy was subsequently challenged by Dennis Barkway, Conservative leader of the Bromley London Borough Council. Taking the GLC to court, Barkway argued that the citizens of the London Borough of Bromley were having to pay extra taxes for the London Underground, which did not serve the borough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fares_Fair

Personally, I think Bromley's argument was spurious, we're always having to subsidize other areas for benefits we don't get and vice versa. No joined up thinking.
Eg I don't have kids, why should I pay taxes for education? Others don't use public transport but I do so why should any of their taxes go to that etc etc.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 29, 2023

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Jakabite posted:

so there we finally have found something "good" that Brexit brought?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

There's different ways of thinking about it - the money threshold to convince someone not to get a car is a lot lower than that to convince someone not to use a car they already have. Since in the former case you're comparing public transport costs with that of acquiring, insuring, and fuelling a car - whereas in the latter you're comparing only with fuel for a car they have and use for other stuff anyway.

Yeah that was the point I was trying to hamfistetly get across.

It's not a simple lower price = more bums on seats equation, so (cynically) if there's no significant uptake by additional travellers in the next 6 months, it will be deemed ineffective and just be spun as "prices have to stay high".

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

As for Laurence Fox's relationship status, he was meant to have married a few months ago, but his fiancee ditched him in June due to his toxic views on trans people
Didn't he post on twitter about shacking up with one of the bad Julies (Burchill or Hartley Brewer possibly? There's two I always get confused but I thought Burchill was gay?) I remember him posting a nauseating photo cosying up to a terf.

E: Bindel or Burchill, not Hartley-Brewer.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 29, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

keep punching joe posted:

Bring back the days when eccies were £2 a pill and you could get a half ounce of hash for £25.

aye but that nine bar hash would sometimes have some carrier bags and other random poo poo mixed in

used to do water extraction of it back in the day and the first few washes would often look absolutely horrid

I don't think drugs are better than they used to be- but availability and choice is leaps and bounds beyond what it was

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Didn't he post on twitter about shacking up with one of the bad Julies (Burchill or Hartley Brewer possibly?

That post was clearly a joke.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Cocaine was always my least favourite drug to do and to be around people doing.

Really brings the oval office out of people.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

I ask this as an occasional cocaine user : how do you square your cocaine use with the amount of human bloodshed and misery involved in getting it to you in the first place? Because I basically can't, and try to avoid coming into contact with it on that basis.

The same way I square it with the misery and bloodshed involved in getting anything else to me in the first place, basically. Me not using a thing isn’t going to make a single iota of difference until wider systems are changed.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

A few years back I complemented a guy's (political) shirt in a bar's bathroom and we got into a conversation. About 15 minutes later my partner comes in to check on me (I don't drink often). They find us engrossed in conversation about Mo Mowlam of all things. We continued talking about politics for another 10 minutes and before parting ways he offered me some coke. Didn't take him up on it but decent of him to offer.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Mega Comrade posted:

Cocaine was always my least favourite drug to do and to be around people doing.

Really brings the oval office out of people.

As the old joke goes, "How do you know if someone likes coke? Don't worry, they'll loving tell you"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
How do you fuckers all have such easy access to drugs.

I don't know any drug dealers

am I just boring

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I also do not know how to obtain drugs should I want them

and I'm okay with that. I already spend money I shouldn't on stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

frytechnician posted:

As the old joke goes, "How do you know if someone likes coke? Don't worry, they'll loving tell you"

I've only heard that as "How do you know that someone isn't a vegan? They haven't told you yet".

haakman
May 5, 2011
I used the dweb during lockdown but it poo poo itself and died. Now my connections come from someone I play Warhammer with.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Part of the reason the cocaine price has dropped is also that supply from Colombia has increased, due to the peace deal with FARC making it easier to grow with less violence. Does that make it guilt-free? No, but if your looking into oppression of local farmers, neither are bananas.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skull Servant posted:

Didn't take him up on it but decent of him to offer.

The positive thing about coke is that even tho it can turn people into aggresively-annoying cunts, it also makes them quite generous with their coke.

Pistol_Pete posted:

am I just boring

I may also just be boring, but I know some mates who know where the drug dealers are, and one mate who grows industrial quantities of weed out in the Midlands to treat his chronic pain

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I will never ever understand the mindset of people who are into stimulants.

I have never ever in my life once thought ‘I wish I was more stimulated’.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Part of the reason the cocaine price has dropped is also that supply from Colombia has increased, due to the peace deal with FARC making it easier to grow with less violence. Does that make it guilt-free? No, but if your looking into oppression of local farmers, neither are bananas.

According to Stephen King, who knows a great deal about Bolivian bingo dust and isn't ashamed to admit it, high quality cocaine smells like bananas. It's probably better to stick up your nose, as well.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

You've never been on a night out thats a little bit underwhelming? People's brain chemistries are different idk. Wouldn't recommend anyone take cocaine more than a couple times a year

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

so, no caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, sugar for you ever?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I think I might be on the ADHD spectrum because whenever I've done stimulants they just make me very calm and sometimes tired, which I understand is not the desired effect.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I used to think I'd never try cocaine with the rationale that it can't be as good as MDMA. Then at a friend's wedding in very rural Somerset I was longing for my bed at 9PM with the pre-booked taxi only coming at midnight. A small bit of cocaine sorted me right out and my wife attests that I was not a dickhead. Just enthusiastic.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Coke is great but as soon as you get one person who can’t reel themselves in and moderate, it becomes a nightmare. The ‘it makes people into dickheads’ thing is largely a myth spouted by people who have barely ever been around it though - it makes people far too talkative and unable to listen if they’re inclined to that anyway, but it tends to make people a lot nicer in general. I’m genuinely not sure I’ve ever seen someone get angry on gear.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Like all drugs, how people behave on them is about the person their own belief about what the drug will do to them. People who get aggressive and nasty on coke will get aggressive and nasty when drunk aswell, they are the kind of person looking for a reason to kick the poo poo out of someone.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

buncha cokeheads itt

Not, like, criticising. Personally I never did any hard drugs, not counting weed because it's not IMO. Also weed is legal for personal growing and consumption in Czechia, not that I ever grew it either. Family did for a bit though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 29, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1707613538750017592

I'm a very occasional dabbler of cocaine, as it gives me holiday from the brain fog that's associated with chronic fatigue syndrome. It's also great fun. When I was a working musician, the occasional snort also helped me get through gigs while out on the road.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’ve massively cut down to be honest. I used to be able to power through a whole weekend and be basically fine by Tuesday. Now if I get on it on Friday I’m miserable until Wednesday. It’s a shame because it’s great fun, but it all catches up with you eventually. On the plus side I’ve got back into fitness, started playing five a side, and got a new found love of Dungeons and Dragons so every cloud.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jakabite posted:

Coke is great but as soon as you get one person who can’t reel themselves in and moderate, it becomes a nightmare. The ‘it makes people into dickheads’ thing is largely a myth spouted by people who have barely ever been around it though - it makes people far too talkative and unable to listen if they’re inclined to that anyway, but it tends to make people a lot nicer in general. I’m genuinely not sure I’ve ever seen someone get angry on gear.

I know loads of people who do it. Makes every one of them annoying.
Drunk, high on E, K. All fine. Coke, I just leave early.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jedit posted:

I've only heard that as "How do you know that someone isn't a vegan? They haven't told you yet".

It's a common enough joke that gets used frequently.

The one I would be most familiar with is "How do you know if someone went to Trinity? Don't worry, they'll tell you."

(The English version would probably be Oxford or Cambridge.)

I'd argue that there is a difference between stimulants like cafine or chocolate in that you can have then and still do other things in your day to day life. (Work, clean the house, look after your children.)

Where as cocaine just makes you want to do more Coke.

Out of all my clients, I always had a lot of sympathy for those with cocaine addictions. Not just because they did bad things while on cocaine (hench, why I met them in court.)
But in a lot of those cases they were people who struggled with addiction and were completely remorseful for what they had done. But also had enough insight to know that they would do the same stuff again once cocaine became involved. They just knew the stuff when it became involved would mean they'd start making very bad decisions.
And I hated seeing that, in how addiction really just destroyed their lives.
You'd do your best to help them get into addiction treatment and counselling, but it was still soul destroying to watch.

Conversely, I had two (different) clients who, while chatting about their background, would tell me that they loved doing Coke, but had to stop during the Recession as "they had to tighten their belts. But when things got better, they'd go back to it."

And those two people I remember having so much fury and resentment towards. Like it's one thing to have an addiction that compels you to use a substance.
But to have the freedom to dip in and out of it when money allows? It just seemed so unfair, particularly when I'd talk to people who just wanted to be rid of it.
And it was doubly worse that the people who were recreational users were creating the market conditions to make cocaine so ubiquitous that it pulls in the ones who want nothing to do with it.

I also know that everything I said for cocaine can probably just as easily be applied to alchol, but I also am aware that is also a sentiment that's not nearly as popular in our society.
I suspect some of it is down to my feelings at having to predict disasters and stop them in advance, which is down to my own anxieties I expect. And my fears around addiction issues.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 29, 2023

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
the reason I, as a man, am not opposed to misandry is I find its validity confirmed by every example of a man arguing against it

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Private Speech posted:

buncha cokeheads itt

Not, like, criticising. Personally I never did any hard drugs, not counting weed because it's not IMO. Also weed is legal for personal growing and consumption in Czechia, not that I ever grew it either. Family did for a bit though.

Managing to score in Czechia when we were there for two weeks for IVF treatment remains one of my proudest moments. Last time I actually smoked weed, too. It was pretty good.

Pistol_Pete posted:

am I just boring

Do you not know a madman who lives in the woods? All communities have one i am sure. They always sell drugs and often have interesting views on a range of topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I would say I am one of those, though I have never tried cocaine or other extreme stimulants.
I'd rather drink coffees and energy drinks than alcohol, and weed doesn't do much to make me relax.