Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was that A Link to the Past boss fight music during the choose your own adventure reading session?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think Fionna and Cake is up there with the AT miniseries like Stakes and Islands as far as my favorite Adventure Time stuff. They were courageous in not having Simon rescue Betty and instead making the point that these were two people who made their choices in life and thats what those choices led to, and having those realizations happen through the choose your own adventure game book was an inspired choice. I thought after episode 8 that he was going to rescue her, but the finale episodes convinced me that would not be the right story to tell. They still managed to provide closure, which was great. I was in tears by the end of the series.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The hint of Golb transforming into something else as Simon flies away is enough of an open ending to justify more Adventure Time for me. It’s a setting that just keeps throwing more interesting open ends up as it goes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

AlternateNu posted:

I have to note that while I really enjoy the show, I stopped following the thread a while ago. Some people just seem more interested in the dumb internet drama surrounding the show and its creator than actually discussing the show. :/

I, in contrast, am a messy bitch with only a passing interest in the show so different strokes ya know?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Krapoplois is alright. None of the characters are grating in the Disenchantment way, but there is definitely a comparison, largely because the voice of that pig is prominent, but the character here, the father, seems much funnier.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fionna and Cake’s finale was really good and I’d definitely recommend this to anyone who was a fan of AT (the callback to Shermy and Beth was fun too)

I reiterate, I’d love to see more stories in this universe provided the crew was willing to make them

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 29, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Krapopolis also seems to repeat the Mallory Archer/Moira Rose archetype to diminishing returns here. Plus with Ayoade the Graham Lineham apologist voicing one of the main characters, I'm not really enthused to keep at it for long.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nocturne is not written very well. It's playing in more cliched spaces, which you know, is whatever, since a text can elevate that material if it wants to (e.g. the original taking the "war on humanity" plot incredibly seriously and being more interesting for it), but I'm not sensing that approach here. But I'm only two episodes in.

There is some atrocious exposition though, e.g. "It's the vampire who enslaved her and murdered her mother, Comte de Vaublanc. It looks like he's found God."

Also is Richter's whip meant to be the same one from the previous series? It doesn't seem to be exploding unholy creatures on touch anymore.

Neeksy posted:

Krapopolis also seems to repeat the Mallory Archer/Moira Rose archetype to diminishing returns here.

I don't know if that comparison is very strong, beyond her being a difficult mother. For one thing, Derlira's not as WASPish or as passive aggressive, that's more her son's thing. I don't think she's an alcoholic, and she doesn't have the Odeipal element from Archer or the mentally ill qualities Moira Rose had. She's closer to a Rick, in the sense that she's profoundly powerful and profoundly lazy, though Deleria's far less interested in her children's personal lives than any of the characters listed above. She explicitly cares about her other family, her immortal family, more than her mortal one, and mostly just sees humans as tools to empower her narcissistic god complex through (very literal) worship.

However, IMO more interestingly, Deliria also represents an active, existential threat to her son Tyrannis, and him to her. Sure, right now she's mostly just casually subverting his actions because she doesn't take him or the idea of "civilization" very seriously, but I think we're meant to understand that what Tyrannis represents is basically inevitable. What he's bringing about, a sort of anachronistic Age of Reason, will be more powerful than she is and will ultimately lead to the elimination of her and the rest of her immortal family. The first episode has already demonstrated that Tyrannis is willing to murder her to achieve his goals, and she just shrugs it off as irrelevant and impossible. But, IMO, it's inevitable that these characters will come into open conflict, which isn't really where either Schitt's Creek or where what I saw of Archer went.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

Open Source Idiom posted:

Caught the opening minutes to the new Castlevania: Nocturne last night before I figured I could just wait until tonight to see the proper thing in situ, but I was not vibing with it. Gonna try and go in with more of an open mind, but it's gonna have to completely re-earn my trust given all the changeover behind the scenes (tbh the only reason I watched the original was because of Ellis, which, yeah, sure, I geddit, but he's also just a flat out interesting writer). Unfortunately what I saw was not serving me. Maybe it's just some opening exposition clunk, I dunno. I'll give it another go and try and get past my biases.

Watched about half the season so far and am enjoying it. From what I've heard of Ellis, I'm glad he's off the project. I'll have to wait until I finish the season but so far I'm not noticing a substantial drop off in quality without him.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pararoid posted:

Krapoplois is alright. None of the characters are grating in the Disenchantment way, but there is definitely a comparison, largely because the voice of that pig is prominent, but the character here, the father, seems much funnier.

He is Matt Berry and he is a global treasure.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

I'm up through the end of the Elements arc in Adventure Time original series, so I'll be onto Fionna and Cake pretty soon probably. Only got a few hours of AT left to go.

They aren't really miniseries cos they are slotted into the seasons totally naturally. They're just arcs, or you could lump them together as mega-episodes/movies in the middle of the season.

Anyway I'd go Stakes -> Elements -> Islands for arc quality on this. I didn't really like Islands, felt like it was just sort of rambling and Finn's mother storyline was a disappointment. Not the idea, just how it was done.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

They aren't really miniseries cos they are slotted into the seasons totally naturally. They're just arcs

Yeah, this is how I've always seen them, with the addition that I've also always read them as being derived from the same impulse as produced those "Steven Bombs" over on Steven Universe. AKA some weird money/hype decision that worked to limited returns.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I forget, aside from the gray hair did Fionna’s ending contradict Simon’s appearance in the AT epilogue montage at all or just provide some more context as to how he got there (I thought it was good regardless though)?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's pretty funny that the Ice King is just Tom Kenny doing his Mayor of Townsville voice, just a little less so

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Larryb posted:

So I forget, aside from the gray hair did Fionna’s ending contradict Simon’s appearance in the AT epilogue montage at all or just provide some more context as to how he got there (I thought it was good regardless though)?

The only possible contradictions are that he’s shown in Prismo’s house with Prismo shrugging and later he’s shown happy and celebrating with Finn and his friends without the gray hair. But I guess there’s nothing in these episodes to indicate that this is his first time meeting Prismo.

The spirit of it all is the same.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Akira X Prometheus? Looks like it will be worth checking out!

My weak anime knowledge makes me think to made in abyss illustrated by möbius instead. It seems far more grim dark than Akira.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

It seems far more grim dark than Akira.

Akira had melted children, so I dunno about that one chief.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

I AM GRANDO posted:

The only possible contradictions are that he’s shown in Prismo’s house with Prismo shrugging and later he’s shown happy and celebrating with Finn and his friends without the gray hair. But I guess there’s nothing in these episodes to indicate that this is his first time meeting Prismo.

The spirit of it all is the same.

Doesn't Prismo specifically mention in one of the early episodes of Fionna and Cake that Simon had specifically come to him before to try and wish Betty back?

Honestly though, even if the continuity of Fionna & Cake means that it has to come after the ending of Come Along with Me, the ending ties the two endings together pretty neatly from a thematic standpoint with Simon's therapy session with Minerva. "It's a cycle of learning and forgetting and relearning"

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Akira had melted children, so I dunno about that one chief.

Compared to some series which nowadays runs on amazon prime video or disney plus of all things, akira is mild. A friend saw the cutesy made in abyss suggested on his prime video feed, thinking it would be fine for his kids it loving wasn't .

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

Doesn't Prismo specifically mention in one of the early episodes of Fionna and Cake that Simon had specifically come to him before to try and wish Betty back?

Honestly though, even if the continuity of Fionna & Cake means that it has to come after the ending of Come Along with Me, the ending ties the two endings together pretty neatly from a thematic standpoint with Simon's therapy session with Minerva. "It's a cycle of learning and forgetting and relearning"

Speaking of, did they play Island Song at all during this series (even as an instrumental)?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Data Graham posted:

It's pretty funny that the Ice King is just Tom Kenny doing his Mayor of Townsville voice, just a little less so

Tom Kenny is a fantastic voice actor with like 3 different voices, and this show uses all of them repeatedly

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mutantIke posted:

Tom Kenny is a fantastic voice actor with like 3 different voices, and this show uses all of them repeatedly

Squeaky, deep, and somewhere in between the two, yes (he’s awesome)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Data Graham posted:

gently caress, I haven't watched PPG in like, 20 years but I can really hear that now.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
That's one of the great things about Mr. Show, you'll be watching a sketch about gay coroners and then one of the corpses will start talking in SpongeBob's voice.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Simon's storyline reminded me of It's A Wonderful Life as an AU movie

The library during the series

The library unburied by the future part of the Fiona & Cake finale

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 29, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Angry Tiny Man posted:

HBO Max has a new series coming up that looks gorgeous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOsZVmVPn4E

Reminds me a lot of that game Sable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fojy_YRseGk

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I believe the Crown has always served as a metaphor for addiction so I personally liked the way they handled things here (just because Simon was restored via magic in AT doesn’t mean he’s necessarily cured. He ultimately saved himself at the end which in turn helped save everyone else)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Angry Tiny Man posted:

HBO Max has a new series coming up that looks gorgeous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOsZVmVPn4E

that looks cool i'm gonna watch it

hopefully it has good writing

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I had the exact same thought. It's cool, there are far worse things to look like than Sable.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Watched about half the season so far and am enjoying it. From what I've heard of Ellis, I'm glad he's off the project. I'll have to wait until I finish the season but so far I'm not noticing a substantial drop off in quality without him.

8'm about halfway theough and while its ok, I have laughed a couple of times at how contrived things can be.

I'm mostly thinking when a character goes off on their own, very contrived possible spoilers happen back to back, then a vampire they capture tells them basically the entire evil plot without much prompting.

I have said a few times while watching it "I miss Trevor."

I also haven't been impressed with the vampires except for the first one we meet. I always get distracted by the female vampire's huge stripper heels and want to laugh at them.

The fight scenes seem to be ok.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

A Sometimes Food posted:

I had the exact same thought. It's cool, there are far worse things to look like than Sable.

Yeah they are both extremely influenced by Moebius, whose comics everyone should read. Sable is also a great playthrough — very chill exploration game with no combat and a soundtrack by Japanese Breakfast.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
eat your Japanese Breakfast at The Japanese House

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I'm kinda enjoying the last season of Archer. Completely reverting his disability from the coma was kinda annoying, as was his character regression (though the ending of season 11 (where Archer yells at everyone for blaming him when they just use him as an excuse to be the worst versions of themselves) helped a bit in my mind). The new character is an interesting foil as a kinda slightly more together and competant Archer, though every episode being Lana bitching about being in the field again, and us being only two episodes from the end without anything like progress is not... great.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I feel the character dynamics are really strong this season and it's been a lot funnier than it was in its slump, but I was really hoping they could build it to be a proper farewell and actually have some character development to leave them in a good place.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Holy poo poo there’s new archer? Yessssss

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlowBloke posted:

A friend saw the cutesy made in abyss suggested on his prime video feed, thinking it would be fine for his kids it loving wasn't .

Pfffffffttttttt, hahahahahahahahaah.

Holy poo poo, lmao.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

i am a moron posted:

Holy poo poo there’s new archer? Yessssss

This is the final season. Not sure how much they knew it beforehand though as it was announced as such kind of late.

While I absolutely loved Adventure Time and Fionna & Cake I think I would be okay if that was the last thing ever for it. It was funny and sad and beautiful. Everything has to end eventually and there's no shame in going out on top.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

limp_cheese posted:

8'm about halfway theough and while its ok, I have laughed a couple of times at how contrived things can be.

I'm mostly thinking when a character goes off on their own, very contrived possible spoilers happen back to back, then a vampire they capture tells them basically the entire evil plot without much prompting.

Yeah I think go a little overboard with this aspect. The showdown between Annette and one of the main henchmen is a little ridiculous is how the guy just exposition dumps for 3 minutes straight in the middle of the fight. Binged the whole series last night, some thoughts in no particular order:

- The pacing and structure is very different from the first series, which makes sense. All the protagonists are essentially untested children who have been disconnected from their heritage in some way, and now have to figure out how to reestablish that connection in a very different world plus learn how trust each other and fight together against fearful odds.
- Olrox is loving great. Obviously super dangerous and the viewer has plenty of reason to hate him, yet the show humanizes him so well that you can't help but sympathize.
- None of the henchmen get much development besides Olrox and the pink haired vampire lady. Which is fine, they're both super cool but it leaves everyone else feeling like cannon fodder.
- Richter's characterization is pretty good; they're obviously laying the foundation for him to be prideful and overconfident but clearly still traumatized and really caught up in the thrall of the Belmont legend (fighting evil above all), leaving him vulnerable to being manipulated once they get to the SotN stuff.
- Bathory was kind of meh as the big bad for the first half, but makes up for it in the back half. I dig the post-transformation Thundercat-esque look.
- The inclusion of the Haitian Revolution in the backstory for Annette, Olrox as a witness/survivor of the various genocides of Indigenous people in the Americas, etc are very cool. I could do without the "most slaveowners were vampires" bit but otherwise think they integrated those significant historical events well.
- All the fights are cool as hell. Visual design is pretty drat good, lots of nice little touches in the various character appearances and powers.
- There are a bunch of questions raised - Who trained Richter? How did Olrox or Bathory get their powers? What is Tera's connection to the Belmont's? What happened to the whole Belmont town from the last series? - that they smartly don't bother to try to answer.
- The ending made sense in terms of the overall storyline, and the big reveals in the last couple of episodes are just pitch perfect.

Overall though I've been digging it and IMO it is a worthy sequel to the first Castlevania series. Fingers crossed they get another 3+ seasons to wrap up the Rondo storyline and then SotN.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 30, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Overall I didn't like it. It's not like this series has ever had particularly deep characters, but they've always been quite vivid and striking, and it was this sort of ideas driven series rather than anything else. I don't think that's the case here, and the meditations on religion were repetitive and wishy-washy. (Religion: it's bad, except when it's sometimes good.)

The fights were really strong, but I didn't care about them because I mostly didn't care about the characters doing the fighting. I mean, they were fine, you know? But their stories were kinda arse. Lotta soap opera plotting. Multiple secret family reveals, characters shifting alliances from Faction A to Faction B because love / possession, etc. rather than for political/ideological reasons. It's all very cheesy. Richter gets a gotta power up anime arc, which, whatever, those mostly suck.

There's some interesting stuff doodled in the margins, e.g. Anette's whole deal, but I think the show mostly kept things really ideologically righteous and was less interesting for it. e.g. the brewing night creature revolution. It's about characters finding their old personalities and returning to their "true selves", rather than telling a story about night creatures doing a revolution, and grappling with what that would mean. Stuff like that. Simple characters telling simple stories, where the previous set of episodes were about simple characters telling (ideologically) complicated stories.

Yeah, this was really mediocre.

limp_cheese posted:

Yeah, I was really, really unimpressed by this. This villain character's entire subplot was so schematic; absolutely the kind of character that would be a shallow one-off villain type in the 00's but given the illusion of importance because of the way the season is structured. What was the point of revisiting this character after his initial appearances? If there was one, I missed it.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mat Cauthon posted:

- There are a bunch of questions raised - Who trained Richter? How did Olrox or Bathory get their powers? What is Tera's connection to the Belmont's? What happened to the whole Belmont town from the last series? - that they smartly don't bother to try to answer.

They kind of did with Tera. Richter mentions offhand when he's complaining to Juste that she's a very distant cousin and Tera is visibly using Speaker magic, so Tera's a Belnades.

There are a fair number of magic-using characters in the game series who are related to or descendants of Sypha, particularly in Dawn of Sorrow and the N64 games, so there's some basis in canon for it.