Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
It's political decision, political decision, political decision, personal opinion about how our artists suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Where's your meme then champ

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You'd think as such a cultured art fan you wouldn't be so big on making GBS threads on other people's efforts

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

made specially for beartaco's delicate sensitivities

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Thank you, I was literally planning on doing it myself on my lunch break lmao

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
it's not fried enough

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Beartaco posted:

Not happy at all with the claim that NZ doesn't have an "actual" art and culture scene. Underfunded, yes, but there's a lot of amazing work happening here.

Bad meme.

Slavvy posted:

This is what the perfect being the enemy of the good looks like

I'm in complete agreement with both these posts

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.thepost.co.nz/a/nz-news/350080800/case-labour-needs-make-reclaim-left

god i hate josie pagani lol

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

It's paywalled. I presume Josie is suggesting we nationalise all houses and supermarkets?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I assume by an 'actual arts and culture scene' they mean one in which you can survive by being a musician or artist

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

klen dool posted:

It's paywalled. I presume Josie is suggesting we nationalise all houses and supermarkets?
OPINION: Labour is clearly shedding support to the Greens. The size of the centre-left vote is not growing.

Labour has become a Diet-Green party. Some centre-left voters are perceiving inauthenticity and choosing the full strength product.

You see the symptoms in Labour’s priorities designed to please wealthier, urban, middle classes more than their working-class supporters, from subsidising heat pumps and EVs to planetary-scale “light rail”. Often they are good ideas that are pushing great ideas down the list.

Labour parties across the world that are winning are doing things differently. They are moving away from climate policy that moralises about lifestyle preferences. Instead they fit climate policy into a bigger vision about helping to make people’s lives better.

Last week in Montreal I talked to the UK’s Labour leader, Keir Starmer, and Norway’s prime minister, Jonas Gahr Støre.

Both believe the left globally is losing the social licence to act on climate, because climate policy has become a proxy for class conflict.

Canadian PM Justin Trudeau, whose popularity has receded after nine years in government, opened the event arguing that progressive politicians have to prove that their concerns and policy prescriptions are relevant to the lives of working people.

“He’s right about that,” Starmer told me. “In the UK, I have long thought we drifted too far from working people.”

He talks about “economic change”, not “climate change”. When you say “green jobs” people hear “I’m going to lose my job”. Voters’ biggest issue everywhere, not just here, is cost of living and inflation.

They’re worried about climate too, so Starmer talks about the “axes of insecurity”: cost of living, employment insecurity, defence insecurity with the war in Ukraine, migration, and climate insecurity.

Focusing on working people’s security is a contrast to what these centre-left leaders see as the moralising approach on the left, that focuses on “reforming the immoral carbon practices of the masses”.

If you see the choices of millions as irresponsible, winning elections is harder. Working people pay the costs of climate policy, and are starting to resent it.

Unpublished YouGov polling data shown at our conference found working people rejecting the idea of a “shared burden” because, “I’ve done nothing wrong, but the money I have is disappearing”.

One example was a voter who responded to a carbon tax with rage: “You will pay this tax every time you turn on your stove, run your refrigerator, iron your clothes, drive your car, water your lawn or flush your toilet.”

Populist parties are weaponising climate to become class war. The billionaire funder of right-wing causes, Charles Koch, declared himself to be “very concerned [about climate policies] because the poorest Americans use three times the energy as the percentage of their income as the average American does. This is going to disproportionately hurt the poor.”

Environmentalism was not always morally fixated on the consumption of the masses. At its birth, the modern environmental movement argued our problems were rooted in forms of industrial production: industries releasing toxic chemicals into the public space, gases depleting the ozone layer.

These were working class issues because it was workers who were getting sick, or who needed the public commons. Clean air and water acts had great success.

Our new form of environmentalism downplays production and focuses on the agency of the environmentally conscious middle-class consumer.

Deindustrialisation is tolerable to knowledge workers, such as policy analysts and transport planners.

The space for a Labour Party is that workers support an “all-of-the-above” transition over the frantic push for renewables and electric vehicles that characterises “green New Deal” thinking.

They feel alienated by attacks on their lifestyle, but support new infrastructures for energy, housing, transport built not by the middle class, but blue-collar industrial workers.

They don’t agree with the central thesis of modern environmentalism, that the world is rapidly heading towards its end. They want an optimistic vision for a transitioning world, not a doomed one.

For Labour this means stop being pulled around by the people who glue themselves to things.

Joe Biden’s hugely popular Inflation Reduction Act doesn’t even mention climate in the title, although it is the world’s most significant climate package. “This will lead to higher wages in better jobs. Make energy cheaper in the long run,” he argues.

In the early 20th century, Labour parties globally had to win the support of working people against communists and the far-left. They didn’t do that by conceding that their rivals were basically right “but we have to compromise with voters”. They were successful because they made a confident case for their own solutions and the reasons their challengers on the left were wrong.

Labour today needs to have the same confidence to win its challenge from the green left – that Labour’s solutions are not diluted versions of the real thing, but better. Labour’s peers around the world are making this shift. And winning.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's kind of incoherent because she correctly identifies that Labour is being abandoned by people wanting a further left government but then suggests that rather than moving left to regain those people the solution is in fact moving left to regain those people.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
She's arguing for Green policy without the stigma of being a filthy hippy.

I don't necessarily agree because I don't think Labour needs to move to the left. If Labour is courting the same set of voters as the Greens then they're failing as a coalition. There simply aren't enough voters who hold left wing beliefs to form a solid majority.

That's absolutely something that we should change, but that sort of change doesn't come down from Labour or even the Greens. That comes us engaging in our communities and building political consciousness.

Labour shifting left and releasing policy that isn't drab and run of the mill isn't going to inspire new swaths of the population to go vote for Labour because the population that would be amenable to more inspiring policy is already voting for the Greens.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

an old labour rug i've got on my wall. apparently feltex made 20 to show off their digital rug printing tech in 1984, and gave one to each of these ministers

this is cool btw

which one did you steal it from

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm going to be voting greens but and I know the answer is most likely no but is there any merit at all in voting nz first? Solely for the reason it would increase the chances of a chaotic messy goverment? Just as a f u you to national and act.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 29, 2023

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Please don't vote for the lolz

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in 99 when I was 18 I voted for act because a girl I liked told me she liked right wing politics

please don’t let 16yos vote

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Confusedslight posted:

I'm going to be voting greens but and I know the answer is most likely no but is there any merit at all in voting nz first? Solely for the reason it would increase the chances of a chaotic messy goverment? Just as a f u you to national and act.

If you are the one who allows Winston to open his year long enquiry into the Government's Covid response then, well, I, I, hope that you have a great and wonderful life where I never interact with you again.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Chill I'm going to 100% vote greens.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

echinopsis posted:

in 99 when I was 18 I voted for act because a girl I liked told me she liked right wing politics

please don’t let 16yos vote

16yos now aren't dumbcunts tbh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao good one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jaguars! posted:

If you are the one who allows Winston to open his year long enquiry into the Government's Covid response then, well, I, I, hope that you have a great and wonderful life where I never interact with you again.

why don’t we want that

maybe it’s a good thing

like I really don’t have a clue. they spent a lot of money. let’s spend more money to see if some was a waste

imo the old thyme arguments that claim govt is inefficient because it’s just not a concern to spend endless tax dollars.. might have merit? either that or it’s just no big deal money is fake amirite??

once again I just don’t know

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.dpmc.govt.nz/our-business-units/all-government-covid-19-royal-commission-inquiry ahem

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

Here is a loading video of the websites of the parties currently in Parliament, using Moto G4 Devices out of Sydney.

Voted yesterday from USA

https://www.webpagetest.org/video/c...0929_BiDcXA_3PT

mweb
Mar 14, 2019

bike tory posted:

made specially for beartaco's delicate sensitivities

I note that JAG liked and shared this on Instagram, truly awesome

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

mweb posted:

Voted yesterday from USA

Was it a pretty easy straightforward process?

mweb
Mar 14, 2019

Confusedslight posted:

Was it a pretty easy straightforward process?

I opted to go the completely digital option. Basically get your voting paper PDF, and then mark it with either a web browser or Adobe Acrobat. Need a witness to mark your paper and watch you vote.

Adobe Acrobat kept asking me to sign up and pay money and I was like gently caress that so I tried Firefox or Edge as per the instructions. Chrome is not supported apparently.

Firefox had an issue, I dont know why.

So I used Edge. Once I opened it in Edge it was simple enough. Felt good. I played the national anthem and spun around in my office chair.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

klen dool posted:

Please don't vote for the lolz

im gonna

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/Maori_Party/status/1707662144081412321?s=20

This is so disgusting. The racist attacks from the right have been escalating and it should never have got to this point. I am angry, sad and ashamed of what this country is becoming.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
yo that article... taking her cues from keir loving starmer??? the embodiment of the labour tendency she is criticising? who has not won any elections? that was the incoherentest nonsense i've ever read. there are seeds of sense in there about not punishing the working class for economy-level necessary changes, but then holding up starmer as somebody who would a) do anything but backstab and fight the left and working class both a million times harder than the right and b) do ANYTHING effective about climate change if elected and c) do anything about climate change that wasn't consumer-level tax type stuff she hates? did two face from batman write that?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
pagani is extremely labour-right. she was also on tv 3's post-debate panel and said luxon looked "statesmanlike" lol

e: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/standing-her-centre-left-ground/KNL2I32IG65ZL5NTMU7JD3YCVU/

quote:

"I'm quite shocked at how much I have been presented as some right-winger," says Josie Pagani.

"I believe in free education, free health, a progressive tax system, I'm a social liberal and I'm thinking 'what on earth is right-wing about that'?"

"There aren't enough mainstream centre-left voices out there and I can see why now - because you get your head bashed in."

The real debate on the left should be about the progressive politics of Labour versus reactionary politics. She believes Labour's splits in the 1980s Rogernomics era are holding back debate that should be had now.

"So the minute you start talking about welfare reform, transformational change, they are seen as code words for a return to the right. The contest of ideas in the party has shrivelled as a result of that."

One of her first clashes with other Labour members came about after the 2011 election when, in an opinion piece for the Herald, she recounted her problems campaigning as the Rangitikei candidate over the in-work tax credit.

Labour had just announced it would extend it to beneficiaries with dependent children. It went down especially badly with people close to the minimum wage.

"Whether I approve of that or not, that's the reality. That's how the policy is perceived and that's a problem for us because we weren't seen to be there [for all working people]."

Labour needs to reclaim the debate about welfare reform, which has been wholly owned by the right. "They don't believe in it and we do.

"If we don't win the debate about responsibility, the responsibility when you are on a benefit to make yourself work-ready as much as possible, then we're not going to win the debate on increasing benefit levels - and there are people out there living on a benefit in absolute poverty."

She's been very supportive of Labour leader David Shearer, defending him when the leftists attacked him for his speech mentioning a cheating ACC beneficiary working on a roof.

But he needs to be bolder, she says, such as condemning those in the party resisting moves by former Cabinet minister John Tamihere to rejoin Labour. That shouldn't be tolerated.

"That sends a message to anyone that thinks like John Tamihere that we're going to vet you."

She may have empathy with Mr Tamihere because the unions fought his selection in 1999 - Helen Clark intervened - and the unions block-voted against Josie Pagani's bid to become Labour's candidate in the Mana byelection in 2010.

exmarx fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 29, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

there's no "debate" on beneficiaries to win. you either believe that people deserve to have access to the basic minimums for life, or you believe that living must be earnt through work. the moment you concede that people should work for a, or an increase in, benefit you're no longer debating with the right about welfare, you've agreed with their central premise that welfare shouldn't exist and are simply negotiating how much labour justifies a human existence.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does that argument stack up in traditional subsistence cultures? probably not, for the majority of abled bodied people at least

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

echinopsis posted:

does that argument stack up in traditional subsistence cultures? probably not, for the majority of abled bodied people at least

They don't knowingly and intentionally run their economy with a goal of 5% unemployment.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

echinopsis posted:

Find a traditional subsistence culture that doesn't take care of its sick or elderly or infants.

Never forget that "work" isn't just labour paid for by someone richer than you. Everything we do to take care of ourselves and others is work, and a lot of that is not paid.

"You are not in paid work, therefore you must be Doing Nothing" is a pervasive lie.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t necessarily disagree.

if someone could imagine a welfare state say, let’s say unemployment benefit paid more than minimum wage and you didn’t have to qualify you just got if you asked

obv an unrealistic scenario but regardless, is there are problem there? or is that situation not anything to be worried about, it doesn’t carry a risk to the economy?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

We have no choice but to participate in the society as it exists today, where you need money and a house and you need to compete for every little thing. You can't opt out. Even if this society damages you, you still have to participate. You can't say "I don't like this because everything is a competition and everything is owned by someone" and walk into an unowned expanse of forest and live by yourself on your own terms because that place does not exist any more. The least we can do to compensate people for removing that choice, I think welfare is owed and earned already. A UBI is the purest expression of that.

In short, yes I work hard and yes I want a handout because I earned it by merely exisiting within these borders.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

I don’t necessarily disagree.

if someone could imagine a welfare state say, let’s say unemployment benefit paid more than minimum wage and you didn’t have to qualify you just got if you asked

obv an unrealistic scenario but regardless, is there are problem there? or is that situation not anything to be worried about, it doesn’t carry a risk to the economy?

It would be good for the economy because instead of money being hoarded and useless by a.small number of people, it would be being used for food and happiness and flowing around the economy instead and everyone would get a turn with the money.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that actually what you’d think would happen? happiness and sunshine and fuckkn rainbows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Yeah why not, dream big