Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The current president of Iceland would be Doctor Professor Mister President Guðni Th. Jóhannesson in that German system.

Most Icelanders would probably just address him as Guðni. Maybe Hr.Forseti (Mr. president) if they were in a really formal setting.

Well yes, but that's because it's OK to be informal with your cousins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

BonHair posted:

But what about the times when you'd use "Mr President"?

Also, allegedly, the Germans stack titles. I knew someone who got two different doctorates, and apparently she could be referred to as "doktor doktor lastname". I think we even found train tickets or something where that was an option for title.

That is something that exist in written German, but not in spoken German. So someone's office sign or letterhead might say "Prof. Dr. Dr. habil ...", but actually saying the full thing would get you very funny looks.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You can get some gnarly titles, like Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Bernd Müller, but nowadays you'd usually just call him Bernd.

Don't do that in Austria though. They really obsess over titles.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I somehow just realized that, since I have a PhD, I can be addressed as "Herr Doktor" in Germany and that tickles me immensely.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pseudohog posted:

Well yes, but that's because it's OK to be informal with your cousins.

I'll have you know that our last common ancestor was Sigurður Sigurðsson (1759-1831) which means we're basically not really related.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Very cool map from r/imaginarymaps

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Very cool map from r/imaginarymaps

Imperialist Israel: gives slightly more recognition to Palestine than Actual Israel

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's honestly the smallest Greater Israel map i've ever seen

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That looks like what if Israel was the state of Virginia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
evergreen map:

I can't find the one that's Germany and starts in 1942 but put that one here too

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Not nearly enough bordergore.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

i say swears online posted:

What are they going to do with all the Muslims and Chr - oh

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

evergreen map:

I can't find the one that's Germany and starts in 1942 but put that one here too

Lol incredible

What happened before 1973 that got you all this land you later "gave" to Egypt?
Eh, don't worry about it.
It says something about a "ceasefire"?
I said don't worry about it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I somehow just realized that, since I have a PhD, I can be addressed as "Herr Doktor" in Germany and that tickles me immensely.

Sometimes I like to use "fil. yo." because it's technically correct even though thus far it's gotten a "what the gently caress does that mean?" every time. (Filosofian ylioppilas, i.e. someone who has enrolled to study humanities at university. Since I'd have to formally request to be removed from the rolls, I'm technically a student even though I dropped out a long time ago. If I tried to apply for unemployment benefits, for instance, I'd currently be denied as students aren't unemployed.)

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

i say swears online posted:

Just for some context, this map is from some inlay of a bible, detailing exaggerated borders of an already exaggerated and semi imaginary ancient United Kingdom of Israel (and judea).

At the same time it also has these weird half circles inside the Israeli territory of other peoples (e.g. Adomites) and I have no idea what's going on with that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

kiminewt posted:

Just for some context, this map is from some inlay of a bible, detailing exaggerated borders of an already exaggerated and semi imaginary ancient United Kingdom of Israel (and judea).

At the same time it also has these weird half circles inside the Israeli territory of other peoples (e.g. Adomites) and I have no idea what's going on with that.

Weird to include Sinai in that, since that's very explicitly outside the promised land

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

BonHair posted:

Weird to include Sinai in that, since that's very explicitly outside the promised land

The title is "Settlements/journies of the twelve tribes", so maybe it's trying to say that's where they generally spent time?
I don't know, the quote they seem to base it on (top right) mentions the dead sea as an eastern border which doesn't fit the map either. Yet there's a big "Eretz Israel" over the whole white territory.

I tried reading about it a bit but it pissed me off so I stopped.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 29, 2023

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

FreudianSlippers posted:

The current president of Iceland would be Doctor Professor Mister President Guðni Th. Jóhannesson in that German system.

Most Icelanders would probably just address him as Guðni. Maybe Hr.Forseti (Mr. president) if they were in a really formal setting.

Not quite. In order of rank, it would be "Herr Professor Doktor Jóhannesson"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

a sister of one of my ancestors worked for Hr. Landsoverrets- samt Hof- og Stadsretsassessor A.C. Meyer in 1842 (kind of analogous to a US federal circuit court judge, I suppose)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 29, 2023

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Not sure why Breezewood is under Virginia, but I love that it's not governed by anything actually around it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Personal Union under Canda.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

the CSA lives

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

the CSA lives

lol that DeSantis and SHuckS reign over states that buck the trend

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/dailyturkic/status/1707296583342022730?s=46

There’s brass necks and then there’s this.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The incredible shrinking Turkey: the extent it will go for peace

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Turkey finally acknowledges the Armenia genocide.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Antiochean Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America and Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, I miss you and why is everyone in France who cares some weirdo who loves some fake italian bishop

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The fleeing Russians really hosed the Belgrade rental market, my Serbian friends tell me

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My first thought was that I am fairly certain that Zürich is more expensive then Berlin. My second thought was "lol, they be cheating".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Anglo-American special relationship is real, lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

The Anglo-American special relationship is real, lol

that's clearly southern iceland

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

My first thought was that I am fairly certain that Zürich is more expensive then Berlin. My second thought was "lol, they be cheating".

Zurich is not the capital though (or did you mean that)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is Washington D.C. really that expensive? I thought that city had been suffering from urban blight for decades, with most middle-class professionals preferring to live in nearby suburbs instead.

And I'm not saying that to throw shade at the US, at least half of Brussels is similarly afflicted, which is presumably why it's relatively cheap compared to neighboring countries

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Phlegmish posted:

Is Washington D.C. really that expensive? I thought that city had been suffering from urban blight for decades, with most middle-class professionals preferring to live in nearby suburbs instead.

And I'm not saying that to throw shade at the US, at least half of Brussels is similarly afflicted, which is presumably why it's relatively cheap compared to neighboring countries

D.C. is one of the most expensive cities in the U.S. and has been getting rapidly more expensive since the early 2000's. The urban blight period was in the 1980's and early 1990's.

A former NFL player famously became worth a quarter of a billion dollars because he bought a bunch of D.C. real estate for nothing in the 80's and they are all worth 5+ million now.

There was a period in the 80's where it was like Detroit in 2009 - people were selling property for $1 just to get the tax liability taken off their hands.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Isn't the White House at the center of DC? That seems cheap.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

I think in most similarly sized US cities the trend has halted or reversed in the last twenty years, with a few exceptions like Detroit and Baltimore.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

D.C. also has the American housing crisis on steroids because federal law prevents any residential building in D.C. from being more than 10 stories or taller than the Washington monument. So, the city is almost entirely very small apartment complexes or single family homes and there is nowhere to add more housing.

If you look across the river, they have massive apartment complexes in Virginia just outside the border to take advantage of the huge demand for (slightly) cheaper housing for people who work in D.C.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Isn't the White House at the center of DC? That seems cheap.

Calculating the price per square meter of the White House using campaign funding as the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is the skyline on the D.C. side of the Potomac where they have the height restrictions:

This is the Arlington side that is separated by about 120 feet of river without them: