Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Who can forget her many accomplishments, like flying the Confederate flag over San Francisco City Hall? I know she did.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Adam Schiff is drinking a very tall glass of water.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

huh neat. huh.

well atleast im not having a cold existential sweat like when that SCOTUS died.

....should I?

No - Newsom will appoint another dem to replace her. You could probably imagine some farfetched scenario where the republicans take advantage of the dems being down a senator to jam through some insanity before he can do that, but the current republican party couldn't collectively open a jar of peanut butter

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

PhazonLink posted:

huh neat. huh.

well atleast im not having a cold existential sweat like when that SCOTUS died.

....should I?

Nah. Her replacement, Senator Jerry Brown, will do whatever Schumer tells him to.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Adam Schiff is drinking a very tall glass of water.

It’ll be fun watching Gruesome Gavin just appoint him to the seat and then awkwardly start whistling and tugging at his collar when people bring up his earlier promises.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nucleic Acids posted:

Who can forget her many accomplishments, like flying the Confederate flag over San Francisco City Hall? I know she did.

To be fair, she did have many accomplishments. They were just mostly 50 years ago and being the first woman to do many different things.

The Confederate Flag thing wasn't her. It had been up there for almost two decades because the city had an American history exhibit that had every flag that had flown in the U.S. since 1776 and the Confederate flag was one of them. The Confederate flag actually came down during her term as Mayor.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Dianne Feinstein? Is Henry Kissinger even in this thing?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

There is no way the GOP lets her seat be replaced on Judiciary.

Nucleic Acids posted:

It’ll be fun watching Gruesome Gavin just appoint him to the seat and then awkwardly start whistling and tugging at his collar when people bring up his earlier promises.

Now Schiff will have to run against a potentially popular incumbent if Gavin fulfills his promise.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!
90 year olds shouldn’t be on committees imo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nucleic Acids posted:

Nonsense posted:

Now Schiff will have to run against a potentially popular incumbent if Gavin fulfills his promise.

Newsom didn't actually want to nominate Schiff. That is part of the reason why Pelosi was so insistent on defending Feinstein.

He already said that he would appoint an interim black woman (one who is specifically not already running, so not Barbara Lee) who didn't want to run in the general - slightly modifying his previous pledge to appoint a black woman in general.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Dubar posted:

No - Newsom will appoint another dem to replace her. You could probably imagine some farfetched scenario where the republicans take advantage of the dems being down a senator to jam through some insanity before he can do that, but the current republican party couldn't collectively open a jar of peanut butter

hey thats un fair.

a healthy Snapping Turtle has a bite strength of *looks up and hopes his SEO result is accurate* 150 to 20 newtons.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm glad she's dead.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Rhode Islanders, tear yourself away from your horrible clam pizzas and pizzas with no cheese cut into strips and make this happen.

The clam pizzas thing is a joke/gimmick, we don't actually eat that here. Putting clams on pizzas, it would be a waste of good clams.

Bakery pizza (no cheese, no crust, no toppings, square cut and stacked multiple layers deep) is real and very good though.

Also, I don't think anyone here wants to ever even think about the MMO embarrassment again, so I doubt it would be a winning campaign plank even if it was possible. Did anyone even really want to play the game to begin with? The whole thing was mind boggling to me, a game developer in RI, who released a game the same year that got higher reviews and had plenty of players. I guess it was a big thing because of all the "celebrities" involved? I don't know. It feels like they basically killed the fledgling games industry here with that move, though.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Nonsense posted:

There is no way the GOP lets her seat be replaced on Judiciary.

even without that, iirc a tie vote in a committee lets the majority leader push it to a full vote in the senate, where it passes 50-49 now and 51-49 later. but doing that you do need to do the "few hours of debate" stuff that were it able to come out of the committee not-tied it could avoid

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Newsom didn't actually want to nominate Schiff. That is part of the reason why Pelosi was so insistent on defending Feinstein.

He already said that he would appoint an interim black woman (one who is specifically not already running, so not Barbara Lee) who didn't want to run in the general - slightly modifying his previous pledge to appoint a black woman in general.

I know that, and he clearly regrets saying anything at all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Bakery pizza (no cheese, no crust, no toppings, square cut and stacked multiple layers deep) is real and very good though.

I will give you that it may be very good, but in what way is it pizza?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nucleic Acids posted:

I know that, and he clearly regrets saying anything at all.

I'm sure he's glad he got it out there. It was pretty clear that Newsom's dream scenario was to appoint a black woman to the seat to build cred with that demographic (who play an outsized role in Democratic primaries) and have a Senator from California who he is friends with and owes him their career to call in favors with in 2028.

Appointing an interim Senator is not his ideal scenario, but he still wants everyone to know how down he is with black women and black primary voters in general so he can remind them in a few years.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

WOW! Senator Pelosi!

Also I do not recommend tomato pie (many names, it is a tomato pie), it is a heartburn pie. Especially at our age.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 29, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Can't wait for Senator Harris, the 2024 Democratic Vice Presidential Race, and the announcement of Newsom's 2028 campaign slogan, "It's all part of the plan".

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

PostNouveau posted:

I will give you that it may be very good, but in what way is it pizza?

I forgot to mention that its also meant to be bought and eaten cold, if that helps?

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Published, yes. Developed? Hell no. They just bought a different studio who already had a game in development, added the setting of 38 Studios' Amalur universe or whatever, and then released it. It did well, but that has basically nothing to do with Curt Schilling, as evidenced by his huge MMO plan going up in smoke as well as the entire economy of Rhode Island.

Pretty good game, though.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Gonna be Maxine Waters

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

I forgot to mention that its also meant to be bought and eaten cold, if that helps?

Ah, yes, classic pizza behavior there

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nonsense posted:

WOW! Senator Pelosi!

Also I do not recommend tomato pie (many names, it is a tomato pie), it is a heartburn pie. Especially at our age.

I will never hear a word against tomato pie, although I’m only familiar with the NY/Ontario version, which may be different.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, yes, classic pizza behavior there

It is, quite surprisingly close to classic pizza, the way it was originally made in Naples - which really was just tomato sauce on flat bread. It's one of the few closer-to-classic American pizza styles to survive.

Most American pizza now is New York and Chicago styles, or other similar adaptations of the margherita pizza specifically, but margheritas are not the be-all end-all of pizzas.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, I don't think anyone here wants to ever even think about the MMO embarrassment again, so I doubt it would be a winning campaign plank even if it was possible. Did anyone even really want to play the game to begin with? The whole thing was mind boggling to me, a game developer in RI, who released a game the same year that got higher reviews and had plenty of players. I guess it was a big thing because of all the "celebrities" involved? I don't know. It feels like they basically killed the fledgling games industry here with that move, though.

Yeah, I was joking. I bet the state could sell the rights or sell the game for something, though. Seems a waste to not get any money back from it for the state and for a basically finished game to sit on an old hard drive in state storage with the retired parks department lawn mowers and spare filing cabinets.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
New Haven clam pizza is really good

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

It is, quite surprisingly close to classic pizza, the way it was originally made in Naples - which really was just tomato sauce on flat bread. It's one of the few closer-to-classic American pizza styles to survive.

Most American pizza now is New York and Chicago styles, or other similar adaptations of the margherita pizza specifically, but margheritas are not the be-all end-all of pizzas.

I'm sorry, but Francis Fukuyama told us that history is over, and this is pizza now :colbert:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Yeah, I was joking. I bet the state could sell the rights or sell the game for something, though. Seems a waste to not get any money back from it for the state and for a basically finished game to sit on an old hard drive in state storage with the retired parks department lawn mowers and spare filing cabinets.

RI sold the rights to the Amalur IP to THQ Nordic in 2018.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/thq-nordic-has-acquired-the-rights-to-i-kingdoms-of-amalur-i-

E: more info

A re-release of Reckoning was thought of, however, permission would need to be acquired from EA, as the co-publisher.

quote:

Assets and property rights for Reckoning and the rest of the Amalur property were sold to THQ Nordic in 2018, who later commented that a re-release of Reckoning required permission from co-publisher Electronic Arts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdoms_of_Amalur:_Reckoning#Reception

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 29, 2023

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Haystack posted:

I'm glad she's dead.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Bwee posted:

New Haven clam pizza is really good

The classic clam and pineapple combo is the bomb.

nerox
May 20, 2001
You are all trying to guess the replacement, but there is no rule that says Diane Feinstein has to resign just because she died.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nerox posted:

You are all trying to guess the replacement, but there is no rule that says Diane Feinstein has to resign just because she died.

We appreciate you stopping by, Sen. Schumer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

nerox posted:

There actually is. They covered the possible Air Bud loophole.

Article 1, Section 3.

quote:

Immediately after they shall be assembled in Consequence of the first Election, they shall be divided as equally as may be into three Classes. The Seats of the Senators of the first Class shall be vacated at the Expiration of the second Year, of the second Class at the Expiration of the fourth Year, and of the third Class at the Expiration of the sixth Year, so that one third may be chosen every second Year; and if Vacancies happen by Resignation, or otherwise, during the Recess of the Legislature of any State, the Executive thereof may make temporary Appointments until the next Meeting of the Legislature, which shall then fill such Vacancies.

17th amendment.

quote:

If a vacancy occurs due to a senator's death, resignation, or expulsion the executive authority of such State shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies: Provided, That the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct.

nerox
May 20, 2001

There actually is. They covered the possible Air Bud loophole.

Article 1, Section 3.

17th amendment.

Aww man, I figured that someone dying giving up their seat was one of those decorum things that our government assumed people would act in good faith about that was just waiting to be tested.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I mean, technically it just says if a vacant seat is due to death. It doesn't specify that death means the seat will be vacant. Stick her corpse in the seat and dare the courts to disagree with you on the definition of "vacant."

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

KillHour posted:

I mean, technically it just says if a vacant seat is due to death. It doesn't specify that death means the seat will be vacant. Stick her corpse in the seat and dare the courts to disagree with you on the definition of "vacant."

"Why, the good Senator is no more vacant today than she was two weeks ago!"

nerox
May 20, 2001

KillHour posted:

Just make sure the corpse isn't wearing a hoodie.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

KillHour posted:

Mitch McConnell does at least show there’s a precedent for soul-sucking undead to hold a Senate seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Haystack posted:

I'm glad she's dead.

I'm not cracking open the whiskey yet (saving that for Mitch) but same.