Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

As an Ontario resident I am contractually obligated to have a huge soft spot in my heart for Your Ontario Town is a Burial Ground

That song does rule lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wet Leather rips

life is just pain and piss!!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

Wet Leather rips

life is just pain and piss!!

Its nothing I will miss!

Life is just pain and piss and everything is a scam!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Solefald posted:

new hexvessel good

just threw this on, enjoying the juxtaposition between black metal and clean vocals

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

thank y'all for talking about Woods of Ypres because Woods 5 is absolutely slaying me on this first listen

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat I wish I could listen to Woods for the first time again

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

symbolic posted:

thank y'all for talking about Woods of Ypres because Woods 5 is absolutely slaying me on this first listen

it's so loving good

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

symbolic posted:

Hell yeah.

Count Thrashula posted:

drat I wish I could listen to Woods for the first time again

:hmmyes:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I first listened to Woods 1 way back and Sun Was in My Eyes was my most spun song for a while that one whips

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

symbolic posted:

yeah holy poo poo

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Legit very happy to see Woods getting some love from new listeners.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Gave Woods 4 a sincere shot yesterday after all the chatter. I always bounce hard off early 00s hard rock clean vocals. Bass/baritone with a lot of vocal fry is so tied to that era of Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin bands with frontmen who all loved Peter Steele. Which is fine, but those guys all had legit good voices and ended up sounding identical. For that reason, I really like when Gold drops the style on songs like You Are Here With Me. You get a sense for what he sounds like without vocal affectations and it’s really lovely. Wish there was way more of that. Lyrically, it lacks much self-reflection while we wallow in pain, which is fine because pain is excellent grist for the doom mill, but the weird vibes from the first track are confirmed in the final song. I get it’s a breakup thing, but drat, “The woman always leaves the man / women move on / men love forever.” It’s ok to hate your ex, but somehow Golf ended up generalizing all women hmmm how’d that happen.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

arriving in the latter portion of the year blackbraid, hellripper, the halo effect, and orbit culture have been dominating my listening still. its been a drat good year for metal.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah I really love Woods of Ypres in spite of the overly bitter 'a breakup is the worst possible thing that can happen to a guy' poo poo that's pretty alienating

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Killingyouguy! posted:

Yeah I really love Woods of Ypres in spite of the overly bitter 'a breakup is the worst possible thing that can happen to a guy' poo poo that's pretty alienating

Conversely, Shards of Love is maybe my favorite Woods song and it's exactly that.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

arriving in the latter portion of the year blackbraid, hellripper, the halo effect, and orbit culture have been dominating my listening still. its been a drat good year for metal.

New Orbit Culture is really good except the mix is so loving muddy and blown out.

Which is my complaint with a lot of new metal. Maybe I'm just finally going deaf.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Another Metal Thread Hearing Test!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Gonna interrupt all the WoY genuflection and link to the the new Brujeria https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPgZt8m2hnA

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Some friends were going to see the Cavalera brothers play the first two Sepultura records, so I tagged along even though I was never a huge fan.

gently caress man they were great, that old stuff is cool as hell. They played the first song they ever wrote, which both sounded like a song young kids wrote and fuckin ripped.

Exhumed were good too :skeltal:

E- also Exciter is coming for the 40th anniversary of Heavy Metal Maniac :swoon:

Snowy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 28, 2023

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Killingyouguy! posted:

Another Metal Thread Hearing Test!

was that aimed at me or Geisladisk cause my hearing is still good lol

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

was that aimed at me or Geisladisk cause my hearing is still good lol

Maybe you couldn't tell I meant Geisladisk bc you're going deaf

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apLtZBE4Tr0&t=1119s

:allears:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Epic Games is eliminating 16% of its workforce and selling Bandcamp

The new owners say they'll keep it running the same but we'll see how that plays out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dude loses his slap fight with Apple and someone convinces him he'll never win appeals so has to unload the stuff he rage-bought to cover the cost. And screw over a bunch of employees because why not.

Sad this is happening to bandcamp because the service is amazing and stuff like this does nothing but destabilize.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Well I personally can't wait for bandcamp becomes some sort of clearing house connecting content creators and artists, just like everyone has been clamoring for all along.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

ultrafilter posted:

Epic Games is eliminating 16% of its workforce and selling Bandcamp

The new owners say they'll keep it running the same but we'll see how that plays out.
People said the same thing when Epic bought them and Epic mostly left them alone, so it's not a guarantee that the new owners will enshittify the place.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Incoherence posted:

People said the same thing when Epic bought them and Epic mostly left them alone, so it's not a guarantee that the new owners will enshittify the place.

I head David Zaslav wants a piece of the indie pie.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

It took an embarrassingly long time for this to click, well played.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
botanist at birth

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I need this on a shirt for the upcoming CC tour

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

New music Friday time

Wolves in the Throne Room, atmoblack
Woe, meloblack
Ruin Lust, blackened death
Stam1na on non-BC, tech thrash
Nervosa, trad/nwobhm
Waldgeflüster, atmoblack
Iskandr, atmoblack
Night In Gales, melodeath
Ashbringer, blackened sludge/phxc
Den Saakaldte, dsbm
Superlynx, doom
Primordial, blackened doom
Moonlight Sorcery, meloblack
KK's Priest, trad
Rorcal, sludgy atmoblack
Disguised Malignance, dm
Dwaal, doomy sludge
Blackbriar on non-BC, symphonic
Obsidian Tide, prog
Asinhell, dm
Terra Builder, dm
Dismal Aura, meloblack
Just Before Dawn, dm
Tides of Sulfur, sludge
Blencathra, atmoblack

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

I don't get this.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

VictualSquid posted:

I don't get this.

Butchered at Birth my dude

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

VictualSquid posted:

I don't get this.
You're gonna be gutted when you figure it out.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I clicked this so fast, it's good stuff

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh my god 4 months later it's finally here

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Nazzadan posted:

New music Friday time
Moonlight Sorcery, meloblack

This is kicking my rear end right now. Like an insane mix of Children of Bodom, Dissection & Emperor with some epic and melodic power metal guitar solos. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Monstaland posted:

New Baroness pretty good

Finally getting around to listening to this and yes, it’s very good. Not all blown out like Gold & Grey and some drat good songs too. Pumped to see them in November.