Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite thing about Kill the Moon is that it's followed by legitimately two of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever made. This is me being positive about Kill the Moon.

Shame about the episode after those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yes but then Dark Water after that has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbqnpb_PIkE&t=52s

The performances by Capaldi and Gomez in that scene are just phenomenal. That little tremble where he ALMOST smiles because for just one perfect second he's happy to see the Master is alive... goddamn.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 29, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Spoilers tho ?!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I really hope we get a moment like this. Get Bradley back and just.. let it happen.

https://twitter.com/poorlyagedwho/status/1696990586941722750

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Spoilers tho ?!

I thought you were doing a gimmick thing here for a second since the episode is from 2014 (wait, no, that can't be right, what the gently caress!?!?) but I completely forgot Pollyanna said they were catching up on the show. Sorry Pollyanna! :smith:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

I really hope we get a moment like this. Get Bradley back and just.. let it happen.

Remember when Moffat brought back Bradley so that he could portray the 1st Doctor as if he was a person from the actual 1960's so he was basically racist and sexist on the sly?

That was odd.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jerusalem posted:

I thought you were doing a gimmick thing here for a second since the episode is from 2014 (wait, no, that can't be right, what the gently caress!?!?) but I completely forgot Pollyanna said they were catching up on the show. Sorry Pollyanna! :smith:

Nah, I powered through to the end of Series 8 last night, so I already got to that part. I did get spoiled on the fact that she shows up again though, so I guess I’m gonna have to watch series 9! v:v:v

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Going mostly from memory, I feel like while season 9 has the worst season long arc of the Capaldi era, the worst episodes are in season 8?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doctor Who is very hit or miss, so maybe I should just grab specific episodes from series 9? Or are they all worth a watch?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

howe_sam posted:

Going mostly from memory, I feel like while season 9 has the worst season long arc of the Capaldi era, the worst episodes are in season 8?

Sounds about right. My view may be tainted by having to cremate both my parents over the last two years, absolutely gently caress you for that needless bit of flavour text and the loving Cyber Brig, STEVEN.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Doctor Who is very hit or miss, so maybe I should just grab specific episodes from series 9? Or are they all worth a watch?

You could skip the Zygon episodes I guess, or honestly the opening two parter (though you probably shouldn't). Sleep No More is probably the most divisive episode that season but I like it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

howe_sam posted:

One of the worst episodes of anything ever is in season 8, so yes. I wouldn't be at all sad if the BBC taped over In the Forest of the Night.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

One of the great things about Doctor Who is that not a single one of us can agree on anything, so you should watch everything! Even the worst episodes have something going for them, and an episode that some people might say is the worst episode ever could just as easily be another person's favorite!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Nah, I want at least one story with Gatwa and a more recent Doctor. If only to see his huge smile. Jodie, Matt, Peter Capaldi? Jo Martin needs as much screentime as RTD will give her.

I doubt his Doctor will be as emotionally expressive as his character on Sex Education, but I really want to see Ncuti’s Doctor give Peter Capaldi’s a big hug.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dabir posted:

One of the worst episodes of anything ever is in season 8, so yes. I wouldn't be at all sad if the BBC taped over In the Forest of the Night.

That episode is a goofy-rear end supreme cheese pizza but at least it’s kinda darling in its childishness. Unlike Kill the Moon which is straight up comedy.

Honestly I’d rank Kill the Moon over a lot of other DW episodes in terms of entertainment, if not quality. It was a riot.

Jerusalem posted:

One of the great things about Doctor Who is that not a single one of us can agree on anything, so you should watch everything! Even the worst episodes have something going for them, and an episode that some people might say is the worst episode ever could just as easily be another person's favorite!

🫡 then i know exactly what to do

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Kill the Moon was a cool episode, made me feel several types of way. I also think the ultimate gag or twist of the episode was great, I was really wondering up to that point wtf they were gonna do my first watch.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

You could skip the Zygon episodes I guess, or honestly the opening two parter (though you probably shouldn't). Sleep No More is probably the most divisive episode that season but I like it.

After watching Secret invasion, those Zygon episodes have aged like fine wine.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

howe_sam posted:

After watching Secret invasion, those Zygon episodes have aged like fine wine.

For those of us who havent and aren't gonna watch Secret Invasion: "eh"?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 29, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Shout out to the speech at the end of the Zygon two parter as well. It’s not great if you analyse the text itself, but Capaldi gives it 120%, and it sings.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Under the Lake/Before the Flood might be one of my favorite stories of the modern era. Honestly series 9 was super solid.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Under the Lake/Before the Flood might be one of my favorite stories of the modern era. Honestly series 9 was super solid.

It's great, and I love it even more for the Doc lecturing directly to camera on what the bootstrap paradox is

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

For those of us who havent are aren't gonna watch Secret Invasion: "eh"?

Secret Invasion is a huge mess that feels like the story's major climax was rewritten at the last second. It actually bears a lot of similarities to the Zygon two-parter in that it has INCREDIBLY muddled messaging and it's really not clear if the awful writing is a result of incompetence or open hostility/malice.

A brief synopsis that glosses over a lot of the finer points:

- Nick Fury is a bad friend who used shapeshifting aliens to further his own career but never made any effort to fulfill his part of the quid pro quo and find them a new planet to live on.
- Maria Hill is in a fridge now.
- Nick Fury was betrayed by his wife, who we only found out existed an episode earlier, and is back on his side an episode later.
- Torture is cool and good, and always works every single time without fail.
- If the President of the United States declares a group of colored people are filth that must and will be exterminated from the face of the planet, it is your duty as a defender of the Earth to very seriously consider not voting for him at the next election.
- Presidential motorcades are well known for their total lack of security and for the routes they travel to be unchecked, unsupervised and completely out in the open.
- If the President is hurt, you take him to a local hospital and don't bother with any extra security.
- If you kill somebody you suspect is a double agent, it's very important not to confirm they are dead, not to touch or move the body from the public road it is on, and not to bother to tell anybody what happened until somebody asks about her a day or so later.
- Nick Fury stole a bunch of superheroes' DNA without their consent.
- Nick Fury achieves nothing the entire series and just fucks off back to space in the end. Even the final confrontation with the bad guy is a fake Fury, so the quasi-explanation given for only one part of the bad guy's honestly fairly legitimate complaints is apparently just the other Skrull's attempts to understand and justify it to themselves.
- There's just some lady wandering about now who has the powers of every hero on earth thanks to their stolen DNA, even from those whose powers aren't DNA based!

There's so much more and it is so much worse, but long story short it was a very bad series that feels like it either had no idea what it was trying to say or saw a radical shift/edit as a result of some other external factors.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

One of its biggest crimes was killing off Ben Mendelsohn’s Talos, who was a great character, and gave probably the best performance out of anyone on SI.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

That episode is a goofy-rear end supreme cheese pizza but at least it’s kinda darling in its childishness. Unlike Kill the Moon which is straight up comedy.

Honestly I’d rank Kill the Moon over a lot of other DW episodes in terms of entertainment, if not quality. It was a riot.

🫡 then i know exactly what to do

Don't misunderstand, I don't mean that it's unusually poo poo as television (although it is), I mean that any filmed production in which Alien Jesus looks into the camera and says "don't take your meds, kids, the voices are real and need your help to save the world" should be scoured from history.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That would require you to take Doctor Who seriously.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What, like some sort of child

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

I still hate that "Timeless Child" nonsense reveal.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It should've been a little shriveled old person of infinite age like we know doctors turn into if they get too old w/o regeneration

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Dabir posted:

Yeah, this particularly makes the messaging scary. Really try to memory hole that one.

I'm almost done with the last Warner box set. I had put it off a long while due to it being set in early Nazi Germany but it's not nearly as dark as I expected. Especially given it's set in Nazi Germany and is a Cyberman story they could have gone a lot worse.

It's.. interesting. And the logic of the story makes sense, but I can't lie that it made me a bit uneasy. Curious how they're going to stick the landing, there are a few things I can think of that would be absolutely tone-death and terrible so hopefully it's avoided...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-new-theme-music-newsupdate/

quote:

To mark the sci-fi show's 60th anniversary, Jo Whiley will present a special edition of Sunday Night is Music Night on BBC Radio 2 – Doctor Who @60: A Musical Celebration.

Recorded on Thursday, 28th September at the home of BBC National Orchestra of Wales - Hoddinott Hall at the Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff – the concert will feature the BBC National Orchestra of Wales and the BBC Singers, conducted by Alastair King.

Musical pieces to be broadcast for the first time include composer Murray Gold's latest version of the Doctor Who theme music, plus the theme tune of the Fifteenth Doctor (called Fifteenth) and Ruby Sunday's (the Doctor’s new companion) theme The Life of Sunday.

Fans of the show will be treated to other familiar themes including I Am The Doctor, Abigail's Song, This Is Gallifrey, The Impossible Girl, and The Shepherd's Boy.

The concert will also include contributions from Doctor Who showrunner Russell T Davies and former series bosses Steven Moffat and Chris Chibnall.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

edit: oh my god :allears:

It's not even the Mexican flag. That's Italy.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 1, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

It's not even the Mexican flag. That's Italy.

In fairness, she’s in the state New Mexico, not the country Mexico, it could be any sort of medal ribbon.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's funnier to imagine that they heard New Mexico, thought Mexico, and bought Italy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

It's funnier to imagine that they heard New Mexico, thought Mexico, and bought Italy.

“It must be that one! The real flag’s not going to have a bird killing a snake on it, surely?”

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Both Kill the Moon and Forest of the Night suffer from being centered on Earth.

The moon of a highly populated planet is actually the egg of some giant space dwelling creature? And it’s about to hatch? Good premise.

Earth’s moon is an egg? Nah man we’ve checked we’re pretty sure that’s all rock. Also the bit where the hatched moon is instantly replaced because it’d make the show weird if all future episodes on Earth took place without a moon.

Again, there’s a planet where every so often a super colony of plants grows to absorb the energy of what would otherwise be a cataclysmic cosmic event? Neat. EARTH has done that several times? Uh what?

Like I dunno I’ll believe that statues are monsters and that there are like five separate alien beings responsible for the development of life on Earth but these are steps too far. Like I get making it Earth’s moon makes the story more immediate but nah.

And don’t get me started on trying to make viewers scared of eye boogers.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Also if the moon was just undergoing massive tectonic movements as the egg was hatching it would make the whole moral choice a bit better, they just send up some guys to look and oops the moon is full of spiders and also an egg. Because as it was the moon suddenly getting heavier had massively messed up the earth, the whole reason that they were using an old space shuttle was that the modern space launch stuff had all been destroyed by the crazy tides from the heavy moon. There had to be massive casualties from all of that, and there was no way of knowing that the moon egg hatching wouldn't send eggshell shards crashing to the earth.
The whole beauty of nature thing where the moon shell just evaporates and the space whale leaves another egg the exact size and look of the previous moon is really undercut by all the stuff from before.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Have we ever sent so much as a drill to the moon? Are you going to trust scientists with their invisible ray machines that Photoshop grey pictures funny colours and take them at their word for it?! Until we have a live feed of folks drilling deep into the shell of the moon egg to confirm it's not an egg capable of hatching a being that lays a new moon egg, I will remain open minded on the subject of moon or string of moony eggs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
"I knew that eggs are not bombs. I know they don't usually destroy their nests."

Putting aside the example of every parasite ever there are species whose newborn eat the eggs containing their siblings. There is absolutely no reason to think the egg wasn't laid there so it would have a nearby food supply when it emerged.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 1, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
And I think some eggs creatures do eat their eggs or anything else nutritious from the egg process.

I think nest eggs babies also poo poo like crazy and the parents need to remove the waste themselves lest the place gets filthy. Nests also attract predators and whatever eats moon babies has got to be scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I've seen the documentary Dead Space 3, I know how this ends.